• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

So is this game actually good? I downloaded the demo for PS4 Slim, but was put off by the comments in the demo thread. Now I am seeing people saying the game is good, and even some early reviews are very positive.

dex3108

So is this game actually good? I downloaded the demo for PS4 Slim, but was put off by the comments in the demo thread. Now I am seeing people saying the game is good, and even some early reviews are very positive.

If people say that game is good page after page that mans that game is awful. Skip it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's basically what BioShock should have been.

You have to rush like a madman to finish this in 8-10 hours. I'm 9 hours in and have a "lot to go" according to others in this thread, only about a third of the way into the game based on chapter lists (and that's only main missions)

I'm in the
Arboretum
right now. How far am I? Played 10-11 hours probably.

Lakitu

st5fu
It's been half an hour or so and there already two cases where I get stuck in the game's geometry -_- forcing me to reload to an older save.

I'm in the
Arboretum
right now. How far am I? Played 10-11 hours probably.
I'm like right behind you. 9 hours in and at the
magnetosphere
area betore getting to where you're at. The chapter list had that current mission like around a third of the game, and that's not counting side missions

I agree. The consensus was not good for the demo and it seems that has changed. I guess my question is -what is different?

As far as I could tell the consensus was that it was a possibly great game behind some serious control and sound issues.

Those issues are now fixed, other than that, nothing's changed, the game just puts a better foot forward.

r8er34

As far as I could tell the consensus was that it was a possibly great game behind some serious control and sound issues.

Those issues are now fixed, other than that, nothing's changed, the game just puts a better foot forward.

Ok. That wasn't what I was getting from what I read. Also, supposedly they are not fixed on ps4

regarding the early sidequest The corpse vanishes:
Is this a quest something i'll retread on later in the game, cause i really can't find a way to get there like 7-8 hours later.

so I was apologetic about PS4 input lag and hoping they'd fix it, but after buying the PS4 version I quickly tried out the PC version and found it to be widely superior.

I'm usually good with console FPS (Fallout, Dishonored, DOOM, etc.) but the deadzones and acceleration in Prey really made it difficult for me - I was constantly overshooting my target when aiming. PC is responsive and quick, not just bc it's 60 fps, but also the controller settings have granular settings instead of by 10's on PC.

Anyways, I do think it's an issue, as illustrated by this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9DgZKLq6sY

imo if you're between PS4 and PC, go PC

This is the best game I've played this year imo, the entire atmosphere / events have sucked me right in , genuinely feels like a half life and system shock mix.

I have just made it to dr Calvinos office , question

in the video playback I watched him unlock a secret door , how do I open it ?

The first time you go zero g feels amazing imo .

Garuda1One

This is the best game I've played this year imo, the entire atmosphere / events have sucked me right in , genuinely feels like a half life and system shock mix.

heat the tumblr on the table beside the LG.

Watch what he placed and where he played it and then look around the room. There might be a hint in an email

I have a question about alien powers:

if I have a single alien power, will every turret in the game shoot at me? Will the robots you summon out of dispensers like the medical and engineering robots attack me as well?

One alien power won't do it, but there is a threshold at which they will start attacking you. I don't know where it is, though :p

Bad7667

Where to find the password to
safe in the room in the beginning with the sort of dentist chair next to it

You have to make it to your office. Watch the video on your computer and you can see the code on the whiteboard if you look to the left

DocSeuss

It helps that you're not fighting large groups of mimics all the time. The demo was like 90% mimics.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wow high praise. Looking forward to grabbing this.

I liked BioShock at the time, but it was for me an obviously massive regression from System Shock, enough that I don't really consider it a successor so much as influenced but heavily streamlined and restructured for a stricter, linear, simpler experience.

Prey might go to shit as I get further in, but the design hits closer beats to System Shock than BioShock. The space station feels denser and more open, with less rigid hand holding and direction. Agency is more paramount, in the way you build your character (more complex inventory and upgrades) and navigate the world. It seems to encourage direct engagement with the game world via your tools, equipment, and powers. And I feel that's a lot of what BioShock was missing, the latter often comfortable if still atmospheric.

Tremis

This man does his research.
so I was apologetic about PS4 input lag and hoping they'd fix it, but after buying the PS4 version I quickly tried out the PC version and found it to be widely superior.

I'm usually good with console FPS (Fallout, Dishonored, DOOM, etc.) but the deadzones and acceleration in Prey really made it difficult for me - I was constantly overshooting my target when aiming. PC is responsive and quick, not just bc it's 60 fps, but also the controller settings have granular settings instead of by 10's on PC.

Anyways, I do think it's an issue, as illustrated by this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9DgZKLq6sY

imo if you're between PS4 and PC, go PC

Hopefully the devs are paying attention to this. I'm not too excited to play again until this is fixed. It's very bad.

psychotron

These impressions are killing me. I have PS4 copy waiting for me at GameStop, but I won't get it until the input lag is fixed.

GHG

Gold Member
Fired up the PC version and played for about an hour. The input lag is non-existant using a controller. Night and day difference compared to the demo on the PS4.

They need to fix the ps4 version.

dlauv

Surprised anyone would buy an Arkane game on a console. It's like buying Elder Scrolls on a console. It makes no sense.

?

Is this an M&K remark or?

I'm not aware of any vast Dishonored modding scene, but Prey doesn't quite work as smoothly as I'd like it to on PC when playing with a controller.

Fired up the PC version and played for about an hour. The input lag is non-existant using a controller. Night and day difference compared to the demo on the PS4.

They need to fix the ps4 version.

These impressions are killing me. I have PS4 copy waiting for me at GameStop, but I won't get it until the input lag is fixed.

I'm actually really wondering if that will happen seeing how the patch already supposedly had fixed the issue according to the devs and notes. It'd be kind of like backtracking and admitting that wasn't the case and fixing an issue that officially, they fixed.

I'm currently holding out to see if the game gets patched up control wise and for the HUD options, but don't really want to sit there with my thumb up my ass for months not playing a game I really want to play because of those issues...irritating situation. One of the few times in my life so far that I have PC-envy big time.

Surprised anyone would buy an Arkane game on a console. It's like buying Elder Scrolls on a console. It makes no sense.

I don't have a gaming PC. Is that a logical enough reason?

Anung

Un Rama

Huh? Wasn't the last Arkane game that came out on PC and unmitigated disaster hence why people are cautious about blindly buying a PC version?

chrixter

Stealth is absolutely viable if you invest in the relevant abilities and weapon upgrades, and it actually trivializes combat. I'm now running up behind phantoms completely unnoticed and killing them in one shot (sometimes two) with a shotgun blast.

Gunsmith (for weapon modification), Firearms (security weapons deal 1.5x damage), and Sneak Attack (2.5x damage bonus when undetected) all stack for some ridiculous damage output.

Megasoum

Banned
Are the different statuses explained anywhere? I see the icons but have no ideas what they actually do.

Edit: ... Nvm I found it literally 2 sec after posting this lol. I wish it was more obvious tho, having to open a menu to know what's happening is dumb.

Skrams

Only now going to the Hardware Labs after *I think* clearing out everything I can do with the first 2 areas. So much god damn stuff to find. The whole corpse locator kind of deal with the computers also is really fucking cool. It's a great way to show a player an area they haven't been and let them put 2 and 2 together to get there.

Stealth is absolutely viable if you invest in the relevant abilities and weapon upgrades, and it actually trivializes combat. I'm now running up behind phantoms completely unnoticed and killing them in one shot (sometimes two) with a shotgun blast.

Gunsmith (for weapon modification), Firearms (security weapons deal 1.5x damage), and Sneak Attack (2.5x damage bonus when undetected) all stack for some ridiculous damage output.

Sounds like Bioshock with the wrench stacking for insane damage. Good to hear.

Top Bottom