• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Angry Fork

Loving the game but few things I don't like:

1. The enemy encounter sound is way too loud and obnoxious (when a mimic see's/attacks you). It makes me jump and get annoyed not because it was "scary" but because it's just so much louder than everything else and you can't turn it down without turning down all the other sounds.
2. I feel like the game discourages stealth because you can hardly get close to enemies without them noticing you so I've been forced to play more action based. When you get close enough to enemies that you can wrench them they're basically on the verge of red or already there and your window of opportunity is gone, it's like they can 'sense' you from behind. It's not like Dishonored 2 or Deus Ex where you can just keep following enemies right behind them until you decide to make a move.
3. Maybe I'm still too early into the game (at the guts area) but I feel like there's little use for half of the weapons so far, mainly the electric stun gun and nerf gun, I still don't know what they exist for. All you need is the cannon, wrench and shotgun, craft ammo and repeat. Everything else seems kinda pointless at the moment because you need the damage to defeat bigger enemies (since stealth doesn't work for me).

sueil

The stun gun actually super owns. The Nerf gun is also fairly useful even sometimes in combat. I used it to tag enemies and lure them into turrets without wasting my real ammo. The stun gun is very deadly against certain enemies.

Khoryos

Extremely early game question:

I'm looking for a way into the hardware labs and the only obvious spot to check is the Trauma center. There's a typhon with ??? as its name and it seems to have funky fire powers. I only have the gloo gun and wrench. I know I had a shotgun early on in the demo, but there wasn't one I ever encountered in this game, I haven't got a pistol either. Basically I'm wondering if I've missed obvious weapons earlier, and whether or not I should bother fighting this asshole who keeps killing me in seconds. I can hit him with gloo and run away without getting hit, but I need to attack with wrench to do damage and it's GG. I tried chucking an explosive canister but I have pathetic strength and don't have a way to ignite unless I can like lure it into attacking it.

That guy's a tough fight no matter what, but to get where you're going you actually want
Teleconferencing rather than Trauma.

aravuus

Okay, looks like I accidentally finished an Arboretum/post-Arboretum side quest (
Shuttle "Advent"
) by doing nothing lol. The objective text says
I had the ability to detonate the shuttle
but I must have missed something, cause I don't think I did. Weird. Hope I didn't
fuck earth over.

Elog

The sluggish controls are taking the fun out of the game on PS4.

I am very sensitive to input lag and I feel very little of that on the PS4. However, they have fairly realistic inertia/acceleration in the game which is great imo but I can see how that is perceived as sluggish. For me that is a tactical consideration that makes it interesting.

Skrams

So exploring the first area again and jesus christ. Running into new enemy types is kind of fucking nuts. I was lucky enough to kill him without too much trouble with how I kind of lamed it out with some explosive canisters and stun stuff. Still a fucking lot of health though. Also got a super good fabrication item.

I'm looking for a way into the hardware labs and the only obvious spot to check is the Trauma center. There's a typhon with ??? as its name and it seems to have funky fire powers. I only have the gloo gun and wrench. I know I had a shotgun early on in the demo, but there wasn't one I ever encountered in this game, I haven't got a pistol either. Basically I'm wondering if I've missed obvious weapons earlier, and whether or not I should bother fighting this asshole who keeps killing me in seconds. I can hit him with gloo and run away without getting hit, but I need to attack with wrench to do damage and it's GG. I tried chucking an explosive canister but I have pathetic strength and don't have a way to ignite unless I can like lure it into attacking it.

I used a combination of tossing an explosive canister and then I could stun lock him with the wrench while he was on the ground. I used charged melee moves if it makes a difference. You can also ignore that area and you can get a weapon to help with him in a bit.

d00d3n

I am locked into other stuff atm, so can't check, but doesn't the door opposite to the one leading to morgan's office lead to a door into the hardware labs? (with some goo in front of it) I opened it from the other side by goo climbing to the plateau in the beginning of the lobby

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I am very sensitive to input lag and I feel very little of that on the PS4. However, they have fairly realistic inertia/acceleration in the game which is great imo but I can see how that is perceived as sluggish. For me that is a tactical consideration that makes it interesting.
I am very early in the game just exploring the starting area so I will probably get used to it eventually.

nOoblet16

The shotguns (there are two in opening area) at the same place it was in demo. There are also two of those enemies there not one. If you want to kill them but don't have a shotgun then just throw the explosive barrels at them. Even if you miss a weapon early on you'll still find them lying around in other areas.

The level design in this game is amazing, the multiple ways you can travel between areas of the stairs in particular. (Airlock, Elevator, Shortcut, Grav-Shaft, etc...)

nOoblet16

First of all you are justifying it by implying that it is intentional when we have two other platforms where this issue is non existent.

Secondly, if you are very sensitive to input lag then you should notice it right away that something is off and if you think it's just acceleration then perhaps you are not as sensitive to input lag as you thought you were. Playing a low input lag 30FPS game like Destiny before or after this will make you realise how much better it could be in the game.

faridmon

How long is this game? I just checked the Youtube videos and it seems that they all finished it in 8-10 hours.

I thought I read somewhere that its a 20 hour game...

aravuus

Finally fixed the main elevator. Maybe now I could try and do some of these side quests.

How long is this game? I just checked the Youtube videos and it seems that they all finished it in 8-10 hours.

I'm gonna say you'd have to seriously rush if you want to finish the game in 8 hours. A regular playthrough is likely going to be closer to 20 hours for sure. I'm 12 hours in and feel like I'm maybe around halfway through?

Freeman76

First of all you are justifying it by implying that it is intentional when we have two other platforms where this issue is non existent.

Secondly, if you are very sensitive to input lag then you should notice it right away that something is off and if you think it's just acceleration then perhaps you are not as sensitive to input lag as you thought you were. Playing a low input lag 30FPS game like Destiny before or after this will make you realise how much better it could be in the game.
Nah, there isnt an issue, its a weighty game. There is no input lag, there is a small section of players who arent happy with the way it controls, and the usual hyperbole abounds. Its not picked up anywhere else apart from a few over sensitive people on forums. Im 10 hours deep and not a single issue with this. Accept that you dont like the weighty feel they have tried to put across and stop looking for technical issues that dont exist.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Looks like I have to disable all the processing stuff and maybe play in 1080p. Hopefully 20ms gives a better experience.

faridmon

Finally fixed the main elevator. Maybe now I could try and do some of these side quests.

I'm gonna say you'd have to seriously rush if you want to finish the game in 8 hours. A regular playthrough is likely going to be closer to 20 hours for sure. I'm 12 hours in and feel like I'm maybe around halfway through?

Thanks, I am debating whether I should get it or not. Length of this particular game is very important to me.

drotahorror

Nah, there isnt an issue, its a weighty game. There is no input lag, there is a small section of players who arent happy with the way it controls, and the usual hyperbole abounds. Its not picked up anywhere else apart from a few over sensitive people on forums. Im 10 hours deep and not a single issue with this. Accept that you dont like the weighty feel they have tried to put across and stop looking for technical issues that dont exist.

Well it's not 'weighty' at all on PC. Exception being the gloo gun seems like it's a bit strange sometimes. Other than that the aiming and movement is very smooth and feels like any other competent fps.

d00d3n

What do you people do with copies of weapons that you already have? Break down for scraps? Any quest use in keeping them (someone wants your shotgun or something)?

DocSeuss

Ok, so I've been fighting crawling enemies with a wrench for one hour now. Horrible. Got a foam gun, but that does not help at all. The controls feel weirdly stiff and there is no ADS. Considering a refund.

Of course there's no ADS; the enemies are fast. ADS doesn't work with fast enemies.

Well it's not 'weighty' at all on PC. Exception being the gloo gun seems like it's a bit strange sometimes. Other than that the aiming and movement is very smooth and feels like any other competent fps.

It is weighty on PC. Movement mostly. Aiming is also not twitch shooter like. None of this is a bad thing though, I shouldn't feel like a ninja.

shiba5

I've played at least 8 hours already and, looking at the chapters, I'm only about 1/3 of the way through.

So, is stealth viable? I'm getting the opposite impression from a few posters, which is odd, given that I found the AI incredibly lenient in the demo.

Hektor

Can anybody tell me where i can find the keycard for this door?
W8iF3Lo.jpg

This is the coolant chamber and I was told i need a supervisor keycard, but i can't find it anywhere

€: OMG how fucken blind am i

Found it.

There's a corpes "hidden" in the fire

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Here's a good tip for combat-

Gloo almost everything. Every enemy has a threshold they get to where enough gloo is on them and they are frozen. Run up and bang on them with the wrench, when they break run away and gloo again.

Definitely gloo the mimics. It makes fighting them so much easier.

There is also a ton of gloo ammo lying around, and fabricating it is cheap.

Sorry if this has been asked before but has the PS4 input lag of the demo been fixed? The demo is awesome and I want to play this game but the input lag made it so difficult even in normal difficulty...

Sorry if this has been asked before but has the PS4 input lag of the demo been fixed? The demo is awesome and I want to play this game but the input lag made it so difficult even in normal difficulty...

The answer seems to be no, or barely perceivable. There's a YouTube link some pages back somewhere of someone demonstrating it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

There most definitely is input lag on the PS4. I played the demo on the Xbox One and the demo and full release on the PS Pro.

The Xbox One controlled much better and snappier, the Ps4 was less responsive.

It's not a game breaker, but it is definitely annoying. I'm about 12 hours into the PS Pro version and it's playable, but I kind of wish I got it on the Xb1.

About eight hours in, exploring the Arboretum, and I'm loving every moment. The game really opened up for me once I found the fabrication plans for shotgun shells. And then upgraded my shotgun all the way (and then took the perks that get me up to 150% weapon damage :p). In Dishonored and Deus Ex I always try to go full stealth, ghosting as much as possible, but this game definitely swings more to the Bioshock end of the scale where combat is occasionally just unavoidable, so a good shotgun with a lot of shells is a big help.

The wonderful immersive sim micro-loop of coming across a locked door and uncovering a whole short story hidden within the environment as you search the place for a keycard, or hack into e-mails and read notes for a password, is what keeps me coming to these games, and it's in full effect here. This game's just plain great.

Skrams

Going back and forth between the Lobby and the first area. I'm doing a lot of bullshit and finding a lot of separate areas each time just because of upping my repair/hacking/leverage. I fucking flipped my shit when I walked past a place I've walked 5 times and noticed I could shoot a manual override button through a tiny window. Fuckkkkk, this is great. Shotgun acquired.

When you shoot the gloo gun you slow down. You can upgrade the gloo gun to make yourself less slow when shooting it even.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I have a question about alien powers:

if I have a single alien power, will every turret in the game shoot at me? Will the robots you summon out of dispensers like the medical and engineering robots attack me as well?

Turrets

Also there's a room nearby that would be a logical place to find weapons

Is it practical and/or possible to turn off music completely to get rid of any sort of jump scare and combat music queues? I know they've been fixed a bit, but I thought the game was at its best during its eerie silence type moments.

I don't think there's a huge amount of in-game music in general I'd be missing out on if I just turn off all of it to avoid those queues, right?

You have to rush like a madman to finish this in 8-10 hours. I'm 9 hours in and have a "lot to go" according to others in this thread, only about a third of the way into the game based on chapter lists (and that's only main missions)

Syntsui

There is something very wrong with the controls on PS4. It's very '' laggy'', I don't know how to explain it. I can barely aim at the monsters it's awful.

Top Bottom