• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Really enjoying the game but the aiming and movement feel pretty off to me. The stick to move is super sensitive and my character will drift to the side even when I'm not moving it. Will try a different controller.

Input lag is a real shame to. Really makes combat feel clunky. Other than that though I'm really enjoying the game. Just hope Arkane fixes this.

Burger

This is basically a new System Shock in all but name.

Loving it, but would have appreciated more attention to the PS4 Pro version. Why no HDR?

Hopefully they can tighten up the movement/aiming soon and add better Pro support.

adversarial

Prey is incredible. One thing, though... I absolutely cannot stand First Person Shooters that do not have an Ironsights option.

Sliver

I'm playing on PC, just got to the hub and the textures are hardly popping in, plus when they do its super slow. Just walking around the level to see a bunch of blank texture walls that stay that way no matter how long I stick around. Probably my biggest peeve behind shrubbery pop-in in gaming.

sueil

I'm playing on PC, just got to the hub and the textures are hardly popping in, plus when they do its super slow. Just walking around the level to see a bunch of blank texture walls that stay that way no matter how long I stick around. Probably my biggest peeve behind shrubbery pop-in in gaming.

Might be an issue with your settings being too high and running out of vram.

CamelCloud

Might have been reported earlier, but did anyone else notice how the looking glass technology is most likely a nod to the studio that developed System Shock, Looking Glass Studios?

Varna

Might be an issue with your settings being too high and running out of vram.

I notice blurry textures on occasion as well. 1080ti here.

Can someone explain the "Find Crew" side missions? I must have missed how to complete them... there is a giant list of people. Does anyone have an objective?

I have to say the side quests are all great so far. No idea why you would rush through this game when it has so much to offer (reviewers I can understand).

I notice blurry textures on occasion as well. 1080ti here.

Can someone explain the "Find Crew" side missions? I must have missed how to complete them... there is a giant list of people. Does anyone have an objective?

Basically, those side-quests where you have to find the last location of a missing crew member.

Plenty of them are dead, but some of them are still alive.

Freeman76

Sucks to hear about the input lag on PS4 (Pro). I'm holding off and hoping for a patch.

Lol there isnt any, seriously. If you are waiting for a fix you may as well give up on the game entirely as they cant fix something that isnt broken. Shame so many people fall for the over dramatic hyperbole on forums, you miss out on some great experiences!

Stoze

Ugh. Completely disagree. I was so happy i could explore and not worry about that. I do see O2 bottles scattered around so I wonder if that was a mechanic at one time.
It was, in fact I think they cut it out pretty late considering you could pick up O2 canisters in the demo. That or they couldn't fully implement it in time.

I agree though, I'm kind of glad that was streamlined. I'd like to see it in a second playthrough though so maybe they'll add it back in with hardcore mode.

Lol there isnt any, seriously. If you are waiting for a fix you may as well give up on the game entirely as they cant fix something that isnt broken. Shame so many people fall for the over dramatic hyperbole on forums, you miss out on some great experiences!

There is literally video evidence of the game having input lag on XB1 and PS4.

Video evidence.

Like... what?

mlclmtckr

Banned
Man I am really loving this. I played it until 3 last night and today all I can think about is getting back to it. I'm not really following this thread to avoid spoilers but it's definitely a strong recommendation from me... at least for the first five hours or so.

SkylineRKR

This game is incredible. Its so far better than Bioshock. It just gels better with me and the maps feel more connected and open. I also like the loot system and crafting.

I don't really mind the somewhat clunky aiming, though its on PS4 not as bad as the demo was. I found Bioshock 1 to feel largely the same in terms of aiming. I mostly used powers and sneak attacks in that game. Also in Prey, I might invest in sneak attack as I can get quite a few and I only have the first stealth perk. Feels good to one shot mimics with just a pistol when you know where they hide.

I played for 5 hours straight today, and the mechanics become gradually more interesting. The demo was already rather big but it didn't show much of what this game offers at all. I only have difficulties with choosing my upgrades, because many of them seem to be really good. I'm afraid my build will end up being jack of all trades, lol.

Moff

psychoschock
makes the game considerably easier

I think I am pretty much towards the end now,
crew quarters
, and it has been an amazing ride. I am not sure if I think it's better than the least 2 deus ex games or dishonored, but it's certainly a must play. I love how the game is constructed, exploration and the side quests are a lot of fun.

I don't like the enemies, combat and the abilities very much, though

I over the 10 hour mark and I totally killed someone on accident in such a fucked up way in space... I felt horrible. Whoops. Haha.

Game just continues to deliver. I did run into a location thats repopulated with more enemies and man its a ton. Feels like I def cant fight here as Im still constantly running low on materials.

Lijik

Where are you guys storing excess stuff you pick up, or are you recycling on a pretty regular basis? I'm using the safe in the office but I'm starting to think I just need to recycle more.
i just hoard stuff until i find a recycler, and chow down on food before medkits when im low on health. the first inventory upgrade has had enough wiggle room for me so far. it never occured to me i could just hoard stuff in safes or lockers!

psychoschock
makes the game considerably easier

I think I am pretty much towards the end now,
crew quarters
, and it has been an amazing ride. I am not sure if I think it's better than the least 2 deus ex games or dishonored, but it's certainly a must play. I love how the game is constructed, exploration and the side quests are a lot of fun.

I don't like the enemies, combat and the abilities very much, though

I don't think
crew quarters
is the end. It should be 50% (that's what I heard at least)

Stoze

Is there no place to safely store stuff? My inventory is constantly full.
Anywhere, all objects are persistent and they stay in spots permanently regardless if they are on the floor or stashed in a cabinet inventory. You'll be returning to Morgan's office a few times though and it has all the equipment you need, so that's a prime spot.

Playing the PS4 version and yeah, the input lag and deadzone is problematic.

Applying even a feather touch to the analog stick causes Morgan to move.

Still constantly blown away by everything, and I'm only 6-8 hours in.

Alucrid

Banned
managed to sell the steelbook for nearly what i paid for the game, not bad

yeah the left stick kept drifting in this game to the right even though it doesn't happen in any other game

Tarrin

Only played three hours due to work, but damn it's good.

I can live with the input lag on the PS4 (and yes there is some). I found, at least for me, turning the camera roll and bob down to 30 and the camera sensitivity up to 40-50 makes the lag a lot less noticeable. Helps I have a great TV with low latency as well.

Also I completely trashed my apartment in the beginning. Love picking stuff up and throwing them around.

Kneecap

And, a very useful tip at the beginning of the game: water fountains and sinks heal you and they have a short recycle time. Find the bathrooms which always have two fountains + 3 sinks per bathroom and you can heal to full in about 2-3 minutes.

Varna

Basically, those side-quests where you have to find the last location of a missing crew member.

Plenty of them are dead, but some of them are still alive.

Basically tracking them down nets you loot?

I'm guessing you can find them without specifically selecting them from the list right? Does the console make note of who you found?

I have to say this game is really fun on Nightmare. Having to use your full mobility and toolset against enemies is great.

Exploring in general feels great. This is a good game and certainly a worthy successor to System Shock. It certainly looks and plays like Bioshock but it has all the things I missed from System Shock 2.

Basically tracking them down nets you loot?

I'm guessing you can find them without specifically selecting them from the list right? Does the console make note of who you found?

I have to say this game is really fun on Nightmare. Having to use your full mobility and toolset against enemies is great.

Exploring in general feels great. This is a good game and certainly a worthy successor to System Shock. It certainly looks and plays like Bioshock but it has all the things I missed from System Shock 2.

The console updates when you discover dead crew members yes. You get a nice little checkmark next to their name.

munroe

Took the plunge and purchased the game today on Xbox

So far, play time is 2hr 47 mins, and I'm just about ready to head to the hardware labs, really enjoying it so far.

I did visit some areas in the starting area such as the visitor center which is why I haven't left the lobby yet but I'm just exploring everywhere.

Controls seem fine, luckily no input lag that I can tell. I like the aesthetics of the place combat is quite satisfying especially when you shoot a typhoon in the face with the shotgun

Varna

The console updates when you discover dead crew members yes. You get a nice little checkmark next to their name.

Thanks. Some of these areas are brutal. The Shuttle Bay... having the helmet on makes for a tense experience when you can't exactly tell where things are coming from.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

The really weird thing about Arkane's "fix" for input lag is that Sony cert demands that the deadzone be a certain size to avoid stick drift. I'm almost positive this is below the cert threshold... which leads me to believe that Sony rushed this patch through cert missing it. That also means that Arkane will most likely be required to increase the stick deadzone to have the next patch pass Sony cert.

I really hope they actually address the real core controller input lag issue, otherwise we're going to be at demo levels of control sluggishness after the next patch.

Skrams

So in Bioshock, I'd hack everything and anything to feel like a god while I strolled around with 3 turret buds. I'm getting to relive that a bit here with the amount of turrets and doodads they give you to hack. It's pretty great. I'm pretty much overflowing with materials now after being such a packrat too.

it is not.

It's still possible to upgrade a fuckton isn't it? I've only completed the Hardware Labs and I have a lot of stuff filled in already. I could easily see myself getting most if not all of the abilities I want by end game.

Foxxsoxx

Dude the game definitely has input lag, just because you don't notice it doesn't mean it isn't there.

The aiming feels Fallout 4 which isn't a good thing.

It isn't huge lag but it definitely makes shooting clunky.

Still the game is great so far besides that.

AHA-Lambda

Does the game have multiple endings that are affected by your usage of alien powers (like Dishonored's chaos sytem)?
If so is there any way to measure it?

Hey guys, i got one question.

It's regarding what seems to be a side quest. Early in the game you have to locate someone named
Silvain Bellamy
. And from here on out i can look in one of the computers and track crewmembers, many of them. So i decided to randomly pick one and the game automatically makes a side quest/objective of it. In the objectives screen it also says Personnel Tracker.

So i make my way to the person i select, not sure if spoiler but his name is
Clive Lawrence.
I arrive there only to see that
he's not human anymore and is a Phantom now. Since the game told me to locate him i tried to use the Gloo cannon, the disruptor gun, but none of that updates the objective. So i can't do much else other than kill him which instantly fails this objective.

I don't get it at all. Anyone?

Also that item
Bellamy's bracelet. Still useful or can i drop it?

Rhoc

Played 4 hours in my first session. This game is incredible. Exploration and atmosphere is so good in this. Finally i get my Bioshock/Systemshock cravings out of my system.

Top Bottom