• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I don't get it

18x40qd1e1mb3png.png

http://kotaku.com/leaked-e-mails-suggest-bethesda-misled-gamers-about-pre-1149092622

I'm only a couple of hours in, but i'm finding it like Dishonored in the ways I really liked (exploration) and really didn't like (squishy awkward combat, this time worsened by having enemies that scuttle around by your feet instead of at similar height).

I'm on the fence about it so far.

Ragona

6 hours in, barely done any mainquest relevant stuff and daaaamn its goood.
Arcane gained alot of respect from me after Dishonored 2 and now this. Also I gotta say, as much as i dislike their review policy, I fucking love Bethesda for developing those amazing single player experiences.
I hope this sells better than Dishonored 2 and wont be another critics darling.

goblin

I beat the game with only Human powers, and then went back in, built a lot of neuromods and beat it again with a hefty amount of Typhon powers. Only thing that changed was a couple lines of dialogue.

There are other choices that seem more significant. I wouldn't be surprised if some other things change a bit here and there before the point I reloaded from, but it's probably not worth worrying about too much as long as you don't mind being an alien monster.

Anyone know the length of the game?

It's pretty dependent on how you play and what you do, even more so than Dishonored. I'd say if you're blasting through main missions (which would be an extremely difficult way to play the game) not really exploring, it'll take about 10-12 hours, but if you try to even do some of the side content, it could take well upwards of 20 hours.

Find the maps, go to the locations marked on them, and you should see numbers. The four numbers are entered into the DM's computer in the crew quarters.

I found the computer but haven't searched for any numbers, yet. Thanks! How do I know where the location is? Do I have to remember them or do I have to activate something to get a marker?

Ha, (sidequest spoiler)
has anyone seen the Who Is December sidequest to completion? I don't know how far through I am but I was curious as to what the outcome here would be, like whether it would actually let me just escape, and it totally does.
Not gonna stick with that ending but cool that they let you just abandon everyone haha.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
This game is Bioshock in space so far. Not hating it by any means, but hasn't fully grabbed me yet. I'm only a bit over an hour in, though.

I didn't even know there was a choice until I picked the game up today.

Does Morgan have a voice or are they silent? If silent or superior VA, I'll go with FemYu.

It's hard to explain without spoiling anything, but it's something that's revealed in the first hour or so so not a huge deal. The best way I can think to put it is that yes, there is voice acting that does change depending on your gender choice but I don't think there's any agreement on which is better yet so just go with what you want. If you don't mind a minor spoiler that you learn about within the first hour or so here's the proper explanation:
No, Morgan themselves doesn't talk however you are in contact throughout the game with a robotic AI that is a copy of your own mind and does talk with your voice.

It's hard to explain without spoiling anything, but it's something that's revealed in the first hour or so so not a huge deal. The best way I can think to put it is that yes, there is voice acting that does change depending on your gender choice but I don't think there's any agreement on which is better yet so just go with what you want. If you don't mind a minor spoiler that you learn about within the first hour or so here's the proper explanation:
No, Morgan themselves doesn't talk however you are in contact throughout the game with an AI that is a copy of your own mind and does talk with your voice.

Ok thanks for clarifying.

Morts

Played 3-4 hours today. I didn't compare directly but it definitely feels more responsive in the final PS4 version versus the PS4 demo. I still tend to run and hide rather than gun things down. Was slightly disappointed when (mechanics spoiler)
I couldn't carry my trusty turret through a loading screen.

I got as far as unlocking
the rest of the pre-recorded message from yourself in your office. Past me says we gotta blow up the station with me on it. Cool, fine, I guess.
Next area I run to a new robot is talking to me about how I left it instructions to help me escape from the station...
HMMMM.

Trickster

Hey, I'm currently in the
Crew Quarters
section, and I'm wondering if there's a way or reason to
free the people who are still mind controlled after you kill the telepath?

Arboretum question:
I was doing the Corpse Vanishes quest, and I have Bellamy's cabin keycard. But when I go to the Crew Quarters door, it says I dont have a keycard to get to in. Did I miss something?

Arboretum question:
I was doing the Corpse Vanishes quest, and I have Bellamy's cabin keycard. But when I go to the Crew Quarters door, it says I dont have a keycard to get to in. Did I miss something?

you need to follow the main quest a little further and then you'll get it

I still find all the 'it's Bioshock what in space' comments pretty funny since this has been clearly sold from the beginning as a spiritual sequel to System Shock II. Its gameplay systems definitely seem more like SSII than Bioshock.

Anno

I still find all the 'it's Bioshock what in space' comments pretty funny since this has been clearly sold from the beginning as a spiritual sequel to System Shock II. Its gameplay systems definitely seem more like SSII than Bioshock.

I think Bioshock is just the touchstone more people are familiar with, unfortunately.

Anno

And it's also a great game with an amazing atmosphere, story and art style. Let's not forget that :p

edit: I know what you mean though

Yeah it's a great series. I even like Infinite. I just don't think it serves super well as an allegory for Prey except maybe some of the aesthetics and tone.

rtcn63

I think Bioshock is just the touchstone more people are familiar with, unfortunately.

Probably attributable to it being the first 'Shock' game on consoles (or one of the first?). Like when people say Call of Duty in space. (Unless they're talking about Advanced Warfare although I don't think anyone talks about Advanced Warfare...)

munroe

Ha, (sidequest spoiler)
has anyone seen the Who Is December sidequest to completion? I don't know how far through I am but I was curious as to what the outcome here would be, like whether it would actually let me just escape, and it totally does.
Not gonna stick with that ending but cool that they let you just abandon everyone haha.

Can we put a bit more thought into spoiler tags please, not just you but other people too. Saying it's a side quest spoiler does nothing, is it a side quest at the start, middle, end etc?

Maybe include the side quest name then spoiler tag the rest, the name itself isn't much of a spoiler.

AlterOdin

And Bioshock is a spiritual sequel to System Shock (Shockception). As said, bioshock being the more familiar and main-steam, it's understandable that it get referenced.

But pleased to know it's closer to system then bio.

Can we put a bit more thought into spoiler tags please, not just you but other people too. Saying it's a side quest spoiler does nothing, is it a side quest at the start, middle, end etc?

Maybe include the side quest name then spoiler tag the rest, the name itself isn't much of a spoiler.

yeah I get you, only issue here was I wasn't sure if even the sidequest name could be considered a spoiler by some, and also I'm not sure how far into the game I am so yeah, it is vague but it's there for people who may have completed the game or are very late game.

Stoze

Yeah it's a great series. I even like Infinite. I just don't think it serves super well as an allegory for Prey except maybe some of the aesthetics and tone.
Agreed.
Probably attributable to it being the first 'Shock' game on consoles (or one of the first?). Like when people say Call of Duty in space.
Bioshock 1 sales alone dwarfed System Shock 2, it's understandable.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Any word on performance?

PS4Pro in particular.

No, Morgan themselves doesn't talk however you are in contact throughout the game with a robotic AI that is a copy of your own mind and does talk with your voice.

Did I completely miss this explanation? I'm well past this. When does this occur?

So question concerning the very first safe in the game: I know how to open it, though I'm embarrassed to admit that after coming back for it, I can't seem to find a way back out. The exits from before are blocked. Am I missing something obvious here?

Top Bottom