• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

v0mitg0d

Had to put it on easy. I feel ashamed but the scarcity of supplies is getting to me. I'm scraping by and when Techno and Psycho "paths" get involved, I just can't survive. Anyone else have problems? I'm loving the game so much, but I feel like the looting and fabricator/recycler availability needs to be tweaked.

Or I just suck, I get it. Any suggestions? :(

Use the Recycler/Fabricator. Grab everything and recycle everything. Upgrade your inventory if you have to. Guide:
https://youtu.be/rV1WO8Jcr1w

Pick up conditioning 1, repair 1, Stealth 1, Necrospy ASAP. Take your time in each room. If you see something on the ground, like a chair or a cup and it's on its side, it's probably a Mimic.

Use the wrench and Goo gun a lot. Use the Goo gun to create a staircase to access higher areas.

Once you get the psychoscope, scan everything. Chipset drops are randomized, but try to find the mimic reveal chipset for the psychoscope. It reveals and marks all Typhons in the environment, even if they're mimicing furniture.

haveheart

Banned
Maybe someone can help me figure this out, I think this might be a bug? Related to Danielle

I'm in the pool room but I can't interact with the window marker... I'm standing right in front of the window but there's nothing there for me to do, no prompt or anything. Is this right?

Moff

Maybe someone can help me figure this out, I think this might be a bug? Related to Danielle

I'm in the pool room but I can't interact with the window marker... I'm standing right in front of the window but there's nothing there for me to do, no prompt or anything. Is this right?

just wrench the window three times, if that doesn't work it's one of many mid-late game bugs.

BlizzKrut

Banned
I'm in
Alex Yu's Office
, there's a computer with a password here, but it needs Hacking IV, do you get the password later?

robin2

Is this a stealth game like Dishonored?
I enjoyed Dishonored a lot, but it's gameplay boiled down to either:
1. Massacring your way through levels as an unstoppable force, which made each level last about 5 minutes if you were stopping to search for things during your rampage.
2. Trial and error saving and reloading trying to non-lethal ghost your way through it.
I think this game isn't built with that binary "stealth or rambo" approach in mind. It never encourages choosing a peculiar playstyle like that. You have a plethora of abilities/tools to mix in which way is useful.

KorrZ

Have Arkane given any sort of update about patching in the Pro Support that is printed on the back of the box :|

And also fixing whatever TF is wrong with the deadzones/input on PS4.

Also also, jesus fuck the sound design is all over the place in this. Music is LOUD AS FUCKING HELL and voiced dialogue is so low.

Yeah, the sound mixing is a bit all over the place. I cranked Music and Effects down to 70 and left Dialogue at 100 and then cranked the volume. That seemed to fix the issue.

Murtrod

Use the Recycler/Fabricator. Grab everything and recycle everything. Upgrade your inventory if you have to. Guide:
https://youtu.be/rV1WO8Jcr1w

Pick up conditioning 1, repair 1, Stealth 1, Necrospy ASAP. Take your time in each room. If you see something on the ground, like a chair or a cup and it's on its side, it's probably a Mimic.

Use the wrench and Goo gun a lot. Use the Goo gun to create a staircase to access higher areas.

Once you get the psychoscope, scan everything. Chipset drops are randomized, but try to find the mimic reveal chipset for the psychoscope. It reveals and marks all Typhons in the environment, even if they're mimicing furniture.

Excellent, thank you. Unfortunately, I think I'm too far to remedy some of these issues, having spent my neuromods on miscellaneous abilities and such, but my next playthrough should be far more promising knowing all of this. And I do have the Mimic Reveal chip. It has taken much of the anxiety out of the game, thank god. haha

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
Biggest complaint with the game for me, the zero gravity sections. I don't feel like they particularly add much to the game, they're just kind of slow and boring, while also being a bit difficult to navigate. I don't find them fun or worthwhile to explore, they're just kind of a nuisance that drags gameplay to a crawl.

It especially sticks out to me because the rest of the level design is superb. I love exploring Talos, it's rewarding and exciting to go through this intricately crafted space station. Zero gravity sections just lack that craftsmanship, and I just kinda have to wonder if they were really necessary.

Moff

This part with the military operators is beyond terrible.

even before that the combat was never really fun or satisfying, but that part was just a big fuck you. it's not good gameplay when the best way is just to rush through all the levels and hit the button to transfer to the next area.

Biggest complaint with the game for me, the zero gravity sections. I don't feel like they particularly add much to the game, they're just kind of slow and boring, while also being a bit difficult to navigate. I don't find them fun or worthwhile to explore, they're just kind of a nuisance that drags gameplay to a crawl.

It especially sticks out to me because the rest of the level design is superb. I love exploring Talos, it's rewarding and exciting to go through this intricately crafted space station. Zero gravity sections just lack that craftsmanship, and I just kinda have to wonder if they were really necessary.

outside of the station was great, but I'm glad you didn't have to spend too much time in there. like a lot in this game it's beautiful but not fun to play, style over substance. and when it's not even pretty, like the G.U.T.S, it becomes the most boring and annoying part of the game

I know it doesn't look like it but I actually really liked the game despite it's obvious flaws.

God I really do love this game. Finally pushed a bit further with the story and I just love reading about all the NPC'S and getting to ~know~ them I guess. Sad about what will probably inevitably come.

Qwark

When I played the Prey demo it made me feel kind of sick. I've had this feeling with other first person games like Bioshock and Elder Scrolls, but not all (Overwatch, Mirror's Edge, and Portal were fine).

Anybody know why? It starts as a headache and then goes into nausea. I think it might have something to do with motion blur? I'd like to play this game, but it is not pleasant for me.

BlizzKrut

Banned
Just got to the
Crew Quarters
, I searched both the
A and B Hallways
, lots of cool lore there
(especially the DnD stuff),
and also got to meet my first 2
Poltergeist
fun little enemy.

When I played the Prey demo it made me feel kind of sick. I've had this feeling with other first person games like Bioshock and Elder Scrolls, but not all (Overwatch, Mirror's Edge, and Portal were fine).

Anybody know why? It starts as a headache and then goes into nausea. I think it might have something to do with motion blur? I'd like to play this game, but it is not pleasant for me.
Probably the Field Of View. its really small

Phediuk

This game's likely commercial failure bums me out.

This is exactly the sort of follow-up to System Shock 2 I've wanted for like 17 years and now that it's finally out it's being met with a shrug.

Probably my GOTY so far too. Fuck.

This is exactly the sort of follow-up to System Shock 2 I've wanted for like 17 years and now that it's finally out it's being met with a shrug.

It's a shame but it seems the general public wants safe games. At least there is still the System Shock remake and System Shock 3 to look forward too.

Phediuk

It's a shame but it seems the general public wants safe games. At least there is still the System Shock remake and System Shock 3 to look forward too.

Yeah I don't get how everyone vehemently hates "handholdey AAA corridor shooters", but then a game comes out that's the antithesis of all of that, and either no one cares or they're actively hostile toward it.

The part where you gotta find the tech operator is extremely dumb. If I hadn't looked it up I would have never found it. Search the ENTIRE exterior for one operator? Really

haveheart

Banned

Don't read the Prey sales thread. It's a madhouse. It really makes me sad and angry how this game is being received.

Holy shit, just had one of the coolest moments yet. I'm assuming it's scripted.

Had been in the elevator a few times, but then going from Life Support back to the Arboretum, the lights go out and a Phantom appears.

The elevator is one of the best visuals that shows off the scale of Talos. Because there's no loading screen, you can watch the shaft go by, the other areas and floors go by, as you travel inside. It's so cool

Lijik

wait really? I got that right off the bat with the psychoscope and thought it was standard lmao

Moff

The part where you gotta find the tech operator is extremely dumb. If I hadn't looked it up I would have never found it. Search the ENTIRE exterior for one operator? Really

it's one of many bugs, usually it has a questmarker and is very easy to find. for some the questmarker does not appear or may appear after a reload.

shiba5

Had been in the elevator a few times, but then going from Life Support back to the Arboretum, the lights go out and a Phantom appears.

The elevator is one of the best visuals that shows off the scale of Talos. Because there's no loading screen, you can watch the shaft go by, the other areas and floors go by, as you travel inside. It's so cool

It's scripted, but still cool.

I just played this demo earlier. I didn't finish the demo, but I just wanted to say that breaking the glassdoor to your balcony was a really neat effect. It took me a moment to process what was happening. Extremely neat.

Moff

That one is standard, a few of chipsets aren't randomized.

I already disliked that in dishonored 2, it's just a bad decision in a game that is build dependent like prey, some of the psi chips are simply mandatory for a caster build, like shorter cooldown or psi regeneration and chances are you find them very late in the game or not at all.

I just finished it and OHMYGOSH the ending is so good! aaaaah I just wanna yell about it. I had some issues with the story in the game (they really needed to do a better job establishing Alex earlier on and making us care about them, and I think the choice to make Morgan silent in the "now" narrative was a mistake) but the ending... oh yes. That was brilliant. Bravo.

shiba5

I bought the game on PC for my husband, and he hasn't done anything else but play it when he's not at work. He really loves it - but watching him play is torture. He never does what I'd do. LOL

What exactly makes the Nightmare spawn? At first it seemed like the big sister in bioshock 2 and it spawned when you gave yourself typhon powers but it just kinda shows up randomly now

Moff

What exactly makes the Nightmare spawn? At first it seemed like the big sister in bioshock 2 and it spawned when you gave yourself typhon powers but it just kinda shows up randomly now

january or mikhaila tell you that the alien powers attract it, after the first appearance I think it just spawns randomly in the few big and open areas of the game, the lobby, the shuttle bay and the aboretum. you will also get a quest
for an item that lets you spawn or dismiss them

Finaj

Quick question: Can I enjoy Prey if I hate horror games? Dishonored 2 was one of my favorite games last year and this game looks right up my alley, but I really can't stand much in the way of horror elements in my games.

mbpm1

Quick question: Can I enjoy Prey if I hate horror games? Dishonored 2 was one of my favorite games last year and this game looks right up my alley, but I really can't stand much in the way of horror elements in my games.

The scares come more from jump scare type situations than "Oh man, i don't want to go into that dark room but I have to and I have no flashlight". Depends on how you can handle it.

As you go through the game you become stronger and you can just dispatch those jump scares beasties with guns and powers so that also makes it easier to get through.

I don't think it's scary at all but if you're really easily spooked it might be I guess? The scariest thing is getting a Mimic jumping in your face unexpectedly, which isn't scripted, but can just happen. There's like 1 or 2 scripted jumpscares but that's it.

You should be fine if you expect that stapler to not be a stapler and to suddenly leap at you. It's a little creepy at times atmospherically, but it's nothing that makes me lose sleep.

madjoki

january or mikhaila tell you that the alien powers attract it, after the first appearance I think it just spawns randomly in the few big and open areas of the game, the lobby, the shuttle bay and the aboretum. you will also get a quest
for an item that lets you spawn or dismiss them

It will also spawn without Alien powers and wiill still say "because of alien powers". Unless Combat Focus counts.

Oh wow,
(Exterior)
the dead shuttle with all the corpses is one of the best surprises so far. I thought it would just be something in the background

Lightningboalt

Neo Member

I read a lot about the game being scary, but while I appreciate how atmospheric it is I haven't ever found it especially frightening with the exception of that one moment. The game really got me there, I wasn't expecting that.

Wanderer5

Well at 16-17 hours, I had gotten to the ending (or one of them that is).

After not realizing that I needed to get Alex back into his safe room, and thus when I was dragging him to the main lift, I left him behind lol, I just went fuck it, I going to destroy the station, especially since I knocked out Dahl beforehand, so there was a way for the survivors to leave. Could had probably used Alex's escape pod, but it felt more good just racing to the shuttle bay and meeting up with everyone there to leave.

And then dat post credit-scene, which I did enough good to get to be let go. Interesting scene that was.

I have a save right before meeting Alex and that huge ass thing comes in, so I probably least go from there again later this week to save him and do the advanced nullwave route.

Anyway this is a great game, maybe like a 8-8.5 range. Combat and encounters can still be pretty bleh through even later on, but great exploration, world building, aesthetic, and least much of the human abilities are nice (I still haven't dipped that much into alien powers). Main story was pretty decent actually, and there are some really good side quests.

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
I have no idea what to do with this turret fabrication sidequest. I have like 5 turrets and Sarah just doesn't want to recognize that they're there. What the hell am I supposed to do to get this done?

Wanderer5

I have no idea what to do with this turret fabrication sidequest. I have like 5 turrets and Sarah just doesn't want to recognize that they're there. What the hell am I supposed to do to get this done?

Yeah I was confused there too, but you put least three of them right on the loading zone spot in front of the door, which is mark and all.

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
Yeah I was confused there too, but you put least three of them right on the loading zone spot in front of the door, which is mark and all.

That's what I did, and it just hasn't recognized it as being there... I guess maybe I'll just close the game and restart it. That's fixed the other glitches I've had. I had a sound glitch where every noise became glass breaking and mimic jumpscare noises, and one where the inventory was incredibly laggy. Can't think of what else would fix this so, might as well try.

Edit: And that did it. Well, that's annoying, but at least it worked.

Top Bottom