• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Anung

Un Rama
Goddamn the mobility mods makes you move fast as fuck and jump super high. It feels like I'm playing Doom momentum-wise.

OBias

Is it possible to free
Trevor Young
in the
Trauma Center
from mind control without knocking him unconscious?

DOWN

Banned
Am I the only one who finds the player movement to really suck (before major upgrades I guess)? It's like they tried to make you very slow when walking and made the aiming sluggish/input lagged

Is this a stealth game like Dishonored?
I enjoyed Dishonored a lot, but it's gameplay boiled down to either:
1. Massacring your way through levels as an unstoppable force, which made each level last about 5 minutes if you were stopping to search for things during your rampage.
2. Trial and error saving and reloading trying to non-lethal ghost your way through it.

I played the second style primarily, but it got tedious at times.

For some reason, aside from MGS, I find myself reloading saves on other stealth games due to the penalty for being spotted seeming especially harsh, or in the case of games like Dishonored and Hitman 2, the fact that you can just brute force your way through with little resistance, to the point where not doing that feels like you're handicapping yourself.

carlsojo

1. Massacring your way through levels as an unstoppable force, which made each level last about 5 minutes if you were stopping to search for things during your rampage.
2. Trial and error saving and reloading trying to non-lethal ghost your way through it.

For some reason, aside from MGS, I find myself reloading saves on other stealth games due to the penalty for being spotted seeming especially harsh, or in the case of games like Dishonored and Hitman 2, the fact that you can just brute force your way through with little resistance, to the point where not doing that feels like you're handicapping yourself.

Not really like Dishonored at all except in terms of level design, i.e. multiple ways to accomplish certain things and explore.

There is "stealth", but it's not the focus.

owlbeak

Decided to check out System Shock 2 again, like actually give it a real shot, and you can feel the cross-generation connections clear as day. In the inventory and stats and weapons/skills and the station design and so on

SS2 is the better game, IMO. Prey is great, but is missing that full-on oppressive terror at every step and atmosphere of sheer dread that System Shock 2 had. But Prey is great, and you can tell SS2 was a huge inspiration. All the nods to Looking Glass Studios throughout Prey are really great, too.

It's like System Shock, more than Dishonored. There is a stealth system, but it's not a stealth game. That said, using stealth to get the jump on enemies is smart

SS2 is the better game, IMO. Prey is great, but is missing that full-on oppressive terror at every step and atmosphere of sheer dread that System Shock 2 had. But Prey is great, and you can tell SS2 was a huge inspiration. All the nods to Looking Glass Studios throughout Prey are really great, too.
True. I already jumped in my seat snd was fleeing in panic fifteen minutes into SS2. I was not expecting that. Me and old school design/aesthetic don't always mix

Not really like Dishonored at all except in terms of level design, i.e. multiple ways to accomplish certain things and explore.

There is "stealth", but it's not the focus.

Oh, that sounds cool.
I enjoy sandbox things like that.

It's like System Shock, more than Dishonored. There is a stealth system, but it's not a stealth game. That said, using stealth to get the jump on enemies is smart

Yeah, that sounds like my cup of tea. I've never played the System Shock games (I have one of them on GOG I think), but your descriptions make it sound similar to Far Cry in a sense, and I really liked that.

Just got the
neuromod
fabrication plan and unlocked the perk to harvest more typhon stuff (which recycles to exotic mats).

Does this break the game? Or is there still gonna be a ceiling based on how many exotic mats you can get?

SS2 is the better game, IMO. Prey is great, but is missing that full-on oppressive terror at every step and atmosphere of sheer dread that System Shock 2 had.

Agree completely. SS2 had my bowels quickening after the 1st encounter. The only other game to come close to that terror/dread/fear is Alien: Isolation.

The aliens in Prey aren't scary, even though they can be very lethal. The shimmery, shuddering shadow-forms just kind of 'are', and seem to fit into the world too well. There's no other-worldly shock when you are forced to encounter one.

OBias

i wonder if this game would have done better without the prey license, even if it's in name only

My impression is that only a handful of people remember the original Prey so it doesn't matter. It's just a nice four letter Bethesda's trademark at this point.

Zutrax

Just got the
neuromod
fabrication plan and unlocked the perk to harvest more typhon stuff (which recycles to exotic mats).

Does this break the game? Or is there still gonna be a ceiling based on how many exotic mats you can get?

It costs a decent amount of materials to make them, also try making a good 10 or so, the game does something to limit how many you can make for a good portion of the game.

void666

Banned
Just got the
neuromod

The bottleneck for me is metal. I have planty of the other materials. And i need to craft ammo since i'm not using alien powers.

madjoki

Try looking for any openings near there. I had a similar glitch but I was near cargo area. I loaded a prior saved game where the marker still worked. Saw where it was and then loaded the older file and it was there.

Yeah, this worked for me. Turns out it was in some small hole near cargo bay, not power plant. So I guess audio log doesn't actually reflect actual position.

It costs a decent amount of materials to make them, also try making a good 10 or so, the game does something to limit how many you can make for a good portion of the game.

Are you referring to
the fact that you need to renew the license at Hargrave's office? I read something about it not being an unlimited license and having to go back there to renew it....

I'd take a simple "yes" or "no" on that one. If it isn't that, I'll just be surprised =)

nOoblet16

Goddamn the mobility mods makes you move fast as fuck and jump super high. It feels like I'm playing Doom momentum-wise.
If you use the suit mod that lets you get a jetpack boost you can move around the entire game at Doom level speed but with even more mobility.

Zutrax

Are you referring to
the fact that you need to renew the license at Hargrave's office? I read something about it not being an unlimited license and having to go back there to renew it....

I'd take a simple "yes" or "no" on that one. If it isn't that, I'll just be surprised =)

I am referring to that, yes. Though the info about it not being unlimited is wrong.

owlbeak

Agree completely. SS2 had my bowels quickening after the 1st encounter. The only other game to come close to that terror/dread/fear is Alien: Isolation.

The aliens in Prey aren't scary, even though they can be very lethal. The shimmery, shuddering shadow-forms just kind of 'are', and seem to fit into the world too well. There's no other-worldly shock when you are forced to encounter one.
Also the enemies & Shodan in SS2 constantly taunting you was awful and frightening. I do like the enemies in Prey talking, it is unsettling, but they are more talking about what is going on with them and their own paranoia. It's not nearly as unsettling as SS2 enemies walking around, knowing you're there somewhere, and talking to you, warning you to stop.

Both games are great, and Prey really surprised the hell out of me. I wasn't following it at all until last Thursday when I heard it was actually very good and closer to System Shock than the original Prey, which immediately grabbed my attention. I haven't finished Prey yet, but I have 20 hours in since Friday night, just got to Crew Quarters, and I can't stop playing and exploring.

Just got to Deep Storage, and I'm absolutely loving this. I spent so long in the Crew Quarters following up on all the sidequests I'd picked up. They're really good! I can't wait to find the last piece of the
Treasure Map

Also did the *December quest spoilers*:
alternate ending, I suppose? The quick lines of dialogue you get at the end of that seem like a really interesting hint at where the story might be going, but I don't want to think about it too hard just yet.

nOoblet16

The game needed more open areas with various little side content like the Lobby, Crew Quarters and the Arboretum. The rest of the areas feel small, confined and quite corridor-ish (I don't mean linear because they aren't linear, just that it's full of corridor like design with little width and height)

Time Played: 19h 28m
Total Campaign Time: 2h 13m

Whoops! Getting too immersed in this immersive sim.

Okay I was wondering why my times were varied. I thought it was a bug or something Like you a have a ridiculous amount of time played vs campaign time.

Okay I was wondering why my times were varied. I thought it was a bug or something Like you a have a ridiculous amount of time played vs campaign time.
Time played is overall hours you've played the game

Campaign time, I assume, is the time you spent during a session with the game

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Go tinker around upstairs some more, there's a computer that unlocks that one. I don't recall if you need an item or not to complete this one.
Found it. Heh, turns out I've seen this computer before and just didn't pushed a button. I'm an idiot (^____^)

About combat. I seriosly don't know how some of you guys think that combat in this game is bad. It's great and brilliant in my imho and much better that in all BioShock games combined and multiplied by x5. All in all, I'm really enjoying combat in Prey and everything related to it.... except that I haven't used alien abilities in my first playthrough and won't be buying and upgrading them too - planning to go for second playthrough with alien powers and maybe a different ending if there is one. So, I can't tell basicaly anything about alien abilities and how they work as of right now but I bet they are great as well.

ymgve

The game needed more open areas with various little side content like the Lobby, Crew Quarters and the Arboretum. The rest of the areas feel small, confined and quite corridor-ish (I don't mean linear because they aren't linear, just that it's full of corridor like design with little width and height)

Just not as open as the Reactor, because that area killed my framerate.

iammeiam

I really like the way the turrets communicate. It's a nice way to have the game repeatedly remind you that the psi neuromods
make you less human. Walking past turrets at early game has them noting that you are human and they can stand down. Two psi mods in, they now report 'insufficient typhon material detected' or say something about needing calibration. It's a good constant reminder that taking more alien powers will rapidly turn the station against you.

One thing I'm not sure if it's a glitch or not--leaving the cargo area headed for the power station, I came across one of those
electric phantoms just sort of patrolling an area. I wanted to take him out so he couldn't go back and kill my survivors through the now-unlocked door, but he was non-hostile. Blue health bar, and charging up a weapon and fully unloading on him did nothing. Getting too close would kill me with electricity but he never attacked.

Bug, something I missed, or something that gets explained later?

Uhh i think i encountered a glitch: Shuttle bay exterior spoilers:
Got out and some invisible ball instashoots a lighting hitscan on me which kills me, i tried avoiding where i initially see the lighting that kills me come from, but it seems the invisible thing is following me, leading it literally impossible to get anywhere than the very entrance of the shuttle bay exterior. Is this a plot thing or am i just encountering an invisible enemy?
it's also not possible to target during shooting phase.

Tovarisc

Got out and some invisible ball instashoots a lighting hitscan on me which kills me, i tried avoiding where i initially see the lighting that kills me come from, but it seems the invisible thing is following me, leading it literally impossible to get anywhere than the very entrance of the shuttle bay exterior. Is this a plot thing or am i just encountering an invisible enemy?

I think you just aren't seeing enemy doing that. Black on black can be nasty combo.

aravuus

Finished with 23 hours of playtime. Finished maybe half of the side quests, explored quite a lot throughout the game.
Stinger was a bit of a mindfuck.

Not my favorite immersive sim around (that'd probably be Bioshock), but nonetheless - absolutely fantastic. Biggest weakness was probably the combat. It started out very boring, got fun for a while when I first unlocked the alien powers and halfway through started getting a bit boring again.

Everything else was brilliant though. Atmosphere, level and world design (and exploration), story and so on, all pretty much spot on. Will definitely replay this sometime in the future. This has been a hell of a year so I doubt it'll be my GOTY pick, but it's in the top 5 so far, easily. Most other years it would have been an easy GOTY choice.

Now I'm craving for more exploration and platforming and sneaking and levels you can do in a million different ways, so I'm super excited to check Dishonored 2 out next. Might have to wait till tomorrow, though.

I really like the way the turrets communicate. It's a nice way to have the game repeatedly remind you that the psi neuromods
make you less human. Walking past turrets at early game has them noting that you are human and they can stand down. Two psi mods in, they now report 'insufficient typhon material detected' or say something about needing calibration. It's a good constant reminder that taking more alien powers will rapidly turn the station against you.

One thing I'm not sure if it's a glitch or not--leaving the cargo area headed for the power station, I came across one of those
electric phantoms just sort of patrolling an area. I wanted to take him out so he couldn't go back and kill my survivors through the now-unlocked door, but he was non-hostile. Blue health bar, and charging up a weapon and fully unloading on him did nothing. Getting too close would kill me with electricity but he never attacked.
Bug, something I missed, or something that gets explained later?
tbf they shouldve made it so that if you're simply carrying a truckload of typhon in your inventory they'll open up on your hoarding ass.

fwiw elec enemies are immune to the disruptor, since it's, yknow, an elec weapon.

not a hitscan attack. just spawns an explodo-ball near you.

iammeiam

fwiw elec enemies are immune to the disruptor, since it's, yknow, an elec weapon.

Yeah I shouldn't have used 'charging up' as phrasing as that was dumb.

shotgun/pistol/gloo/wrench in the half second before ambient electricity fried me/literallyeverythingdidnothing

I started Prey last night and it is excellent so far! Easily see this being in my top 5 for the year. Really need to go back and finish Dishonored 2 after I'm done with this.

hawk2025

This game.

This game has me gushing. It's so damn well-designed. All of its systems feel good, it rewards exploration and inventive thinking, it's challenging, it's thought-provoking.

Just got the
neuromod

Well, it depends on how much of the required material you can get your hands on. If you use the recycler duplication glitch, then you can max out everything if that's what you want to do.

Noks415

Just got to G.U.T.S.

My shotgun is fully upgraded. Hacking, Repair and Leverage are fully upgraded as well.
There are a lot of other skills i'm currently using but not sure i wanna invest in fully upgraded them. Question is can anyone recommend any really useful typhon abilities besides morphing into other objects which i'm currently using.

shiba5

Just got to G.U.T.S.

My shotgun is fully upgraded. Hacking, Repair and Leverage are fully upgraded as well.
There are a lot of other skills i'm currently using but not sure i wanna invest in fully upgraded them. Question is can anyone recommend any really useful typhon abilities besides morphing into other objects which i'm currently using.

Psychoshock and Kinetic Blast are great

Both games are great, and Prey really surprised the hell out of me. I wasn't following it at all until last Thursday when I heard it was actually very good and closer to System Shock than the original Prey, which immediately grabbed my attention.

Ha, same here. Friday morning I was telling a friend I had zero interest in it.

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
Got a question regarding the length. I'm loving Prey so far and I'm already thinking about things I can do on replays of this game. Thing is, I borrowed the copy I'm playing and I'm going on a trip in a few days, so I'll be returning it tomorrow. I'm around the arboretum right now, heading towards Deep Storage - how far into the game am I, if I just do story missions? I'm planning on getting my own copy and playing through again to do sidequests I've missed and to experiment with other things, but about how many more missions are there after Detour and is it even remotely feasible for me to finish a playthrough today?

Top Bottom