• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I love the zero g sections and I love the combat too, I think it's fun as hell. I'm not sure if this is because I'm using m&kb or not as I can imagine the mimics being a pain in the ass to hit with a controller.

Jharp

Getting sick of running across these doors. How do I open them?
6C07A8FADE9A2EF48823E392F582DE5A933AB951

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
My god, the final few missions are exceptionally combat heavy. That makes it incredibly tough if you're low on resources. I've got basically nothing left, I don't think it's actually possible to beat the game with this few resources and the build I currently have.

Up until this point I would say it's about a 9/10 game. The final few missions though, haven't really enjoyed them, it's kinda ending the experience on a sour note.

Edit: aaaaaaaaand the game just crashed on me. In one of the final cutscenes. Goddamn it.

Edit 2: hell, I'm actually kind of enjoying this desperate struggle to survive on empty. It's hard but the fact that I've pulled off some of this stuff when I have no protection and no right to be alive is actually making me enjoy this endgame more than I was a little while ago.

goblin

Anyone here finished without investing a bit (or at least very minimal) in typhoon abilities ?

How was it ?

I played through on hard and didn't install any Typhon abilities.

It can be rough early on, but quickly turns easy with the right skills and items. Firearms 2, Sneak Attack 2 and a fully upgraded shotgun can hit for over 200 damage to open combat, with nine more rounds in the chamber and a 27-round pistol you can switch to as backup if necessary. The upgraded stun gun wrecks and crowd controls any mechanical enemies. Materials Expert and some frugal early conservation eventually yields enough resources that you have essentially infinite ammo. Combine all this with Combat Focus 3 on top of the Mobility upgrades and you have enough firepower and speed to clear entire rooms of enemies without a hitch, provided you can aim well.

You can also hack anything, repair anything, lift and throw anything, stealth-run everywhere, etc. Once you get the
suit propulsion
you're basically playing as a more computer-literate Doom Marine.

every new area and encounter impresses me, this game is just so good and well made.

mid-game, i think?, spoilers, i just got my first
Nightmare/Nemisis encounter and it was intense.

Really frustrating that this game apparently isn't selling well, it's absolutely incredible. Also, I'm playing on PS4 and as someone who is usually very sensitive to input lag I'm actually not finding it to be that bad. The game still feels as responsive as it needs to be, and while it could be snappier it's never once hindered the game for me. I really hope good impressions spread and the game has a sort of second wind, because it deserves it. Arkane keeps delivering and delivering and I feel like they just aren't being rewarded like they should be.

Karish

Game REALLY turned a corner for me tonight. Beginning is so hard and frustrating. Literally had to run past some bad guys at parts. Finally feel like I'm in this bitch now with shotgun, some powers, etc

I played the demo. Felt slow and boring. Deleted the demo, won't bother with this title anymore. Boring game.

not every game needs to be constant balls to the wall action like Call of Duty. this game actually lets you... take your time... and explore.. :O

Really frustrating that this game apparently isn't selling well, it's absolutely incredible. Also, I'm playing on PS4 and as someone who is usually very sensitive to input lag I'm actually not finding it to be that bad. The game still feels as responsive as it needs to be, and while it could be snappier it's never once hindered the game for me. I really hope good impressions spread and the game has a sort of second wind, because it deserves it. Arkane keeps delivering and delivering and I feel like they just aren't being rewarded like they should be.

same, of course the input lag and 30 fps is noticeable, but i'm always able to adapt as i continue playing

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
I did it. Somehow I was able to go through basically two missions with only two clips of ammo and no healing items at all. I did the
perdition
ending. Not a single typhon neuromod, too. Screw it, I'm still calling this a 9/10 experience. I was frustrated towards the end but eventually I ended up kinda enjoying the insanity of sprinting like a maniac through deadly rooms with basically no way to defend myself.

I look forward to getting my own copy and replaying this, renting it for one playthrough will not be enough for me. There are so many options and ways to play that I can't imagine ever getting bored of this game. It takes about an hour to really get going and kinda falters in the final hour but the other 20 hours are so good that it's very much worth your time. I just hope it isn't too much of a commercial flop, I wanna believe it'll sell well but current reports and Bethesda practically sending it out to die don't instill me with much hope.

I saw that GMG had it for PC for like $45 and pulled the trigger. I much rather play on the PS4, but the controls were not great.

I played the demo. Felt slow and boring. Deleted the demo, won't bother with this title anymore. Boring game.
This does not surprise me.

SZips

Had my second crash tonight. Second one in 22 hours.

Problem is, now the game won't load any of the last five saves. This is a mix of auto saves and quicksaves. The first three just instantly crash to desktop. The two prior don't crash me but they give me this error.

The last save that works is the manual save I made after my play session last night, which is about three hours ago. Kind of ticked off but at least it wasn't all lost.

d00d3n

Can someone clarify regarding the Nightmare enemy: will it spawn multiple times if I travel excessively between areas, or does it only come again if I have progressed the main quest?

Lakitu

st5fu
If I get mimic typhons, does that alter the ending of the game? And will all turrets spot me as an alien so I won't be able to use them for my own benefit?

Dmax3901

Without spoilers, can someone tell me if there's a definite point of no return where I'll be able to wrap up any side quests?

shiba5

If I get mimic typhons, does that alter the ending of the game? And will all turrets spot me as an alien so I won't be able to use them for my own benefit?

You can hack unfriendly turrets to make them friendly and any turrets you fabricate will be friendly.
I had various Typhon powers, but that didn't alter the ending. I got the "good" ending. The ending is based on various things - not just having Typhon abilities.

You can hack them or fabricate friendly turrets.

I had
~~~four separate(without upgrades)~~~
typhon abilities before that became a problem.

Pehesse

Without spoilers, can someone tell me if there's a definite point of no return where I'll be able to wrap up any side quests?

Without spoilers: yes.

With mild description (not spoiler-y): hold off on going to
Alex's office
to
"upload the data".
Alternatively, don't deal with
Dahl
but I recommend the former since
after Dahl's arrival the station becomes flooded with blackbox operators
and it becomes more difficult to navigate.

Some more details:
after *the* scene in the arboretum, most of the quests related to the shuttle bay+life support escape pods and outer areas will be closed off/cancelled, since those areas are now inaccessible.

On topic: finished the game in 17h on PC, full human perks+max empathy/no human kills. I LOVED it, this is the System Shock spiritual successor I've been waiting for, a smart game that trusts me to understand and engage with its systems and basically what I hoped Bioshock would be. I also enjoy how the beginning reminds me very much of Invisible War's, except done right and with much fewer technological constraints. Loved everything related to the looking glass tech (up to and including the name), and the theme of doubting everything you see. Before
going outside
I wasn't even sure we really were on a space station. On that note, I'm another zero-G lover, and
that arboretum scene
was everything I was hoping for.

Without entering the debate regarding the mixed reviews, since opinions and all that, I must admit I'm perplexed by some of the things I read, as I don't feel they can simply be chalked up to different subjective appreciation, but outright describe polar opposite experiences. Are there *that* different versions out there?

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Without spoilers: yes.

With mild description (not spoiler-y): hold off on going to
Alex's office
to
"hear the truth".
Alternatively, don't deal with
Dahl
but I recommend the former since
after Dahl's arrival the station becomes flooded with blackbox operators
and it becomes more difficult to navigate.

Some more details:
after the scene in the arboretum, most of the quests related to the escape pods and outer areas will be closed off/cancelled, since those areas are now inaccessible.

Really? I did that hours ago and just now killed the escaped volunteer at escape pods. Ive also been to every area freely since. Unless there is more than one time you go to Alex's office for the main story.

every new area and encounter impresses me, this game is just so good and well made.

mid-game, i think?, spoilers, i just got my first
Nightmare/Nemisis encounter and it was intense.

I remember my first encounter hiding from that fucker. Now I just kill it. Hunter becomes the Prey.

This game ticks so many boxes for me, and I have an embarrassingly long amount of time in it already, and I've been raving about it to people... but I've run into a couple of major issues.

In Crew Quarters,
Tizzy, the bot in the Tulip bar with the keycard to the supply closet,
simply didn't spawn. I searched high and low, I looked for remains, and there was nothing. I wondered if it was due to an enemy encounter even though I hadn't even been in or even fought near that room yet, and reloaded a number of different saves several times, but nothing. I had to go back to my save from the very start of the zone and replay everything and then it was magically there.

And now I'm at an (I'm assuming, near end-game) mission where I need a rather important keycard from someone (
Talia, near the cooling room for the Reboot mission
)... and while I got everything I could from her, there was no keycard. I looked it up and it seems that for many she just disappears through the floor before they can get anything, but she's still right where I found her - with nothing else for me since I already grabbed everything. I'm once again reloading from the start of the zone and hoping it shows up.

These things make me wonder - how many other things have I missed because they weren't there and I didn't realize they were supposed to be? How many of those bodies I still can't find are actually just not there because they didn't spawn for some reason?

Repeatedly loading multiple quicksave files with no luck only to have to go back and re-do an *entire* zone in order to get something to spawn is extremely frustrating, not just because I have to keep repeating the same stuff, but also because it's really killing my sense of momentum and affecting my love for the game.

Pehesse

Really? I did that hours ago and just now killed the escaped volunteer at escape pods. Ive also been to every area freely since. Unless there is more than one time you go to Alex's office for the main story.

You need to head there several times, yes, I may have remembered the wrong one.

More details:
the bridge's pods remain accessible, yes, but not the life support and shuttle bay's. I had quests in both and they were cancelled,
along with the Talos exterior stuff and the "find all contraband caches" one - I assume one of the caches must be in one of the areas rendered inaccessible by the apex.

I recommend the break off point of going to the
office before Dahl arrives since after he's here, things become slightly more hectic
, but I may have misremembered the exact reason you need to go into
Alex's office
- perhaps it was to
upload the data
? I'll edit my post in case!

GHG

Gold Member
This is my favourite game of the year so far. Just amazing, we need more games like this. I'm so happy this game exists.

So many ways to get to places and deal with enemies.

Ended up playing the game for about six hours last night after I bought it and man, this game's so good. I can't stop thinking about it, I wish I could stay home and play it.

drotahorror

Pretty lame that I'm near the end but have to find someone on the exterior of the Talos 1 but my quest marker is gone now. No idea where to go.

Stoze

True, but the future of the immersive sim looks pretty grim. :(
Does it though?

We've got System Shock Remastered, System Shock 3, presumably a new BioShock, and a new Ultima game in the works. Arkane will probably keep working with the framework even if it's not a Prey or Dishonored sequel, and so will Bethesda with Elder Scrolls and Fallout (despite getting more streamlined and less immersive sim-y with every entry). On the indie side we occasionally get games that play a bit with the formula like Consortium, Neon Struct, and even Quadrilateral Cowboy. Another Consortium is in development along with whatever Ken Levine and Ghost Story Games are working on. Then we have Hitman which is kind of immersive sim in all but first person view, which is getting a season 2. And it may seem like a weird thing to pull in, but Zelda being lauded for turning into a systems-driven sandbox striving for player agency may send some second-hand ripples through the industry.

Yes, Deus Ex HR and Dishonored 2 didn't sell well, and Prey probably won't, but at the same time that's 3 AAA immersive sims in 8 or so months, and look what's coming up. We're in the midst of a revival. Plus it's not like SS2 and the OG Deus Ex sold like hot cakes, there's a reason they're considered cult classics.

venomenon

Heh, I got my ass handed to me in the first couple of hours but won two potentially hard-as-fuck fights with ease yesterday (mid-game spoilers, I assume).
The part where you place turrets in front of the cargo room door and then open it? One recycler as soon as the door opened. No casualties on our side, all enemies dead within seconds.

Then, the nightmare. I panicked and ran to the exit but realized I couldn't use it. The nightmare followed me but apparently it got stuck or just couldn't move all the way to the exit area. Just had to dispose of some corrupted operators and could kill the nightmare without being hit once.

The latter one was certainly not intended but I really like the freedom in how you approach enemies.

Does it though?

We've got System Shock Remastered, System Shock 3, presumably a new BioShock, and a new Ultima game in the works. Arkane will probably keep working with the framework even if it's not a Prey or Dishonored sequel, and so will Bethesda with Elder Scrolls and Fallout (despite getting more streamlined and less immersive sim-y with every entry). On the indie side we occasionally get games that play a bit with the formula like Consortium, Neon Struct, and even Quadrilateral Cowboy. Another Consortium is in development along with whatever Ken Levine and Ghost Story Games are working on. Then we have Hitman which is kind of immersive sim in all but first person view, which is getting a season 2. And it may seem like a weird thing to pull in, but Zelda being lauded for turning into a systems-driven sandbox striving for player agency may send some second-hand ripples through the industry.

Yes, Deus Ex HR and Dishonored 2 didn't sell well, and Prey probably won't, but at the same time that's 3 AAA immersive sims in 8 or so months, and look what's coming up. We're in the midst of a revival. Plus it's not like SS2 and the OG Deus Ex sold like hot cakes, there's a reason they're considered cult classics.

You have a good point, it might have a lower budget future. I just fear for Arkane, a top-notch developer. I hope I'm wrong. That said, it's definitely a good thing that elements from immersive sims are making their way into other franchises, like The Phantom Pain and Breath of the Wild proved.

Stoze

You have a good point, it might have a lower budget future. I just fear for Arkane, a top-notch developer. I hope I'm wrong. That said, it's definitely a good thing that elements from immersive sims are making their way into other franchises, like The Phantom Pain and Breath of the Wild proved.
I think Arkane will be ok. They've been around for a while now, had some really poor selling stuff before, a handful of cancelled projects, and yet here they are, still going at it with the same design ideology that they started on fifteen years ago with Arx Fatalis. But I can't say for sure with big bad Bethesda/Zenimax at the helm.

Yeah, it could be some time before we get something on the scale and budget of Prey that harkens so closely back to what made the originals so special. Overall though I think the outlook for these types of games is the brightest it has been in a while.

Im trying to enjoy this game and I like quite a bit of it but the part that keepa destroying immersion for me is how damn janky the audio is! I tried with surround and with headphones. And it sounds so busted.

This us the PS4 ver.

drotahorror

I just beat it, says 21 hours in game, steam says about 27. I would give it a 7.5/10. There's some frustrating and silly design choices that annoyed me the more I played.

I digged the first 10-15 hours fairly well, but was disappointed towards the end. I guess a bit of burn out happened. It happened to me in Dishonored 2 as well. The ending was pretty cool w/o going into any spoilers.

This was great. There is just something about exploring space stations/ships, hacking and repairing terminals, blowing things up with PSI-powers that captivates me greatly, so its pretty fantastic that I got something that is pretty much a modern SS2 in 2017.

The game should have been a bit more stingy with neuro mods though, if you explore thoroughly you'll come pretty close to getting every ability.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Man, the way the game lets you deal with combat is excellent. Playing as human abilities only, it really feels like a fucking battle of species. I have to be absolutely ruthless every time I engage enemies. They cannot escape once I start, it has to end there. Getting there is pretty fun too. Thinking like a Predator is fun. Luring enemies into turrets or grenades I planted, dividing the weaker ones away from the group and picking them off, ambushing a powerful enemy from above and popping Combat Focus to destroy it in an instant. I feel like an animal picking on prey. The game deserves its namesake.

Has anyone seen that sci-fi horror/thriller Life?

some of the mimics, the small ones definitely remind me of the creature in that movie. Not the their ability though. Could definitely be interesting for a movie though.

Okay guys what's the deal with Trevor Young, the guy in the Trauma Center? I got the mission complete for him, but
he didn't die. He's unconscious in my game. Is there anything else to do to save him, or is it just a glitch?

Goddamnit Arkane, patch the damn PS4 version already, the hype is killing me.
There is nothing really too bad, unless you are sensitive to input lag. I able to easily adapt to things like that, so it's not too much of a bother. Other than that, there is the ps4 drifting issue. Even that is fairly minor, and only really becomes a bother in specific instances, but nothing game breaking

Do mimics respawn after you kill them?

Yes and no.

They stay dead until you progress further in the story. So if you're just exploring everything before doing story missions they will stay dead. Newer tougher enemies appear when you progress in the main story.

Okay guys what's the deal with Trevor Young, the guy in the Trauma Center? I got the mission complete for him, but
he didn't die. He's unconscious in my game. Is there anything else to do to save him, or is it just a glitch?

There is nothing really too bad, unless you are sensitive to input lag. I able to easily adapt to things like that, so it's not too much of a bother. Other than that, there is the ps4 drifting issue. Even that is fairly minor, and only really becomes a bother in specific instances, but nothing game breaking.

My big issue as of right now is the lack of HUD options which they've confirmed they're patching in. I really, very firmly, don't want to play it with all that shit on screen. The problem is, who knows how long that'll take I guess haha.

The drifting and sound issues sound pretty stupid as well. Input lag I can kind of deal with but honestly I don't have much free time right now anyway so I'm using that as an excuse to bolster my pretentious 'will wait for patches meh meh' thing.

mbpm1

Yes and no.

They stay dead until you progress further in the story. So if you're just exploring everything before doing story missions they will stay dead. Newer tougher enemies appear when you progress in the main story.

If mimics stay down, phantoms seem to come back after a while. I've just been doing sidequests before going through the Guts and had some nasty surprises. Or maybe I'm mistaken.

If mimics stay down, phantoms seem to come back after a while. I've just been doing sidequests before going through the Guts and had some nasty surprises. Or maybe I'm mistaken.

Really? Hmm the only time things came out before I finished a main quest was when I went out into space. Other than that, I've had free reign every where I've been. Though, I've only gotten up to Psychotronics so it could be that.

My big issue as of right now is the lack of HUD options which they've confirmed they're patching in. I really, very firmly, don't want to play it with all that shit on screen. The problem is, who knows how long that'll take I guess haha.

The drifting and sound issues sound pretty stupid as well. Input lag I can kind of deal with but honestly I don't have much free time right now anyway so I'm using that as an excuse to bolster my pretentious 'will wait for patches meh meh' thing.

That's understandable, I don't remember how long it took for them to patch things into Dishonored 2. That might be able to give you an estimate, but they are two different studios tho.

Well into the Psychotronics now and I'm starting to notice that textures don't seem to load. Sometimes on medical equipment in rooms or books or posters,quite annoying. You have this too?

Top Bottom