• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

DeaDPo0L84

This game's likely commercial failure bums me out.

This is exactly the sort of follow-up to System Shock 2 I've wanted for like 17 years and now that it's finally out it's being met with a shrug.

Probably my GOTY so far too. Fuck.

I am right there with you man. I know its just a game but I'm actually worried/sad that this game will not reach the sales it deserves. On the flip side we have average games selling huge amounts. I know ill never get a TRUE ghost recon due to how wild lands sold and now we may never get another Prey cause people wont give it a chance.

I am right there with you man. I know its just a game but I'm actually worried/sad that this game will not reach the sales it deserves. On the flip side we have average games selling huge amounts. I know ill never get a TRUE ghost recon due to how wild lands sold and now we may never get another Prey cause people wont give it a chance.

Its low sales are good for me, Im waiting for used copies to drop down to 30 so I can pick it up

Wanderer5

This game's likely commercial failure bums me out.

This is exactly the sort of follow-up to System Shock 2 I've wanted for like 17 years and now that it's finally out it's being met with a shrug.

Probably my GOTY so far too. Fuck.

I hope it will have some good legs least. Otherwise there is System Shock 3 that will probably do well hopefully.

DeaDPo0L84

Its low sales are good for me, Im waiting for used copies to drop down to 30 so I can pick it up

Ummm...ok? I mean that's your decision just an odd response. So you're happy a game may do poor so you can pick it up on the cheap without realizing it could mean the end of this game as a whole if Bethesda doesn't see a future with the series?

So regarding the pre-order shotgun: Does it just replace the shotgun you get originally at that point, or did i miss it? Also wondering if i should keep upgrading it or just toss it aside eventually for better stuff. I love the look of it and i've been having tons of fun playing this like it's Doom with agility maxed, so i'd love to keep it to endgame.

Ummm...ok? I mean that's your decision just an odd response. So you're happy a game may do poor so you can pick it up on the cheap without realizing it could mean the end of this game as a whole if Bethesda doesn't see a future with the series?

Slide me $30 so I can buy the game full price for $30

Tabasco

The game is ridiculous once you get through the beginning portion.

Fabricators are too spaced out to create medkits, and my health bar ends up dropping super quickly against enemies using electricity.

I have the game set to Easy so I find this very weird. Ruins an otherwise great game and I hate the fact that I have to space myself out just to kill the tougher guys.

Makes me want to stop playing with around 5.5 hours into it.

Stoze

So regarding the pre-order shotgun: Does it just replace the shotgun you get originally at that point, or did i miss it? Also wondering if i should keep upgrading it or just toss it aside eventually for better stuff. I love the look of it and i've been having tons of fun playing this like it's Doom with agility maxed, so i'd love to keep it to endgame.
All the pre-order stuff should be in a tall metal/black container in your office. It doesn't replace the regular shotgun, it's a separate item. Upgrade it to your heart's content.

All the pre-order stuff should be in a tall metal/black container in your office. It doesn't replace the regular shotgun, it's a separate item. Upgrade it to your heart's content.

Oh uh, i meant the one you get ingame. I just found it and they both seem to have the same base stats, so i'll just keep upgrading the Margrave for that sweet lovely fashion. But thanks for the help!

Fabricators are too spaced out to create medkits, and my health bar ends up dropping super quickly against enemies using electricity.

I have the game set to Easy so I find this very weird. Ruins an otherwise great game and I hate the fact that I have to space myself out just to kill the tougher guys.

You don't have to fight everyone. Often it's best to just sneak around or avoid a fight if the enemies are tough for you.

I'm on Hard and I have rarely run out of medkits. At one point, I had like 10. Food lets you built up your health without using a medkit

Stoze

Oh uh, i meant the one you get ingame. I just found it and they both seem to have the same base stats, so i'll just keep upgrading the Margrave for that sweet lovely fashion. But thanks for the help!
That's what I meant when I said regular shotgun, but yeah, there's no differences in stats. In general, you don't need to worry about getting better versions of guns so don't shy away from upgrading.

edit: I should say there is a better/special version of a regular security weapon I encountered mid-late game, but it's like a couple points of damage in difference.

I felt there were a few uneven difficulty spikes but overall I would either switch things up or sneak. Realizing you dont need to fight everything helps out a ton.

It kind of sucks that you can't turn off objective locators. Especially given how customizable the Dishonored HUD was. I've taken to just marking quests as inactive to get rid of the locators, but that's annoying to do every time you get a new quest.

Pygrus

Nightmares
are terrifying. I thought
Poltergeists
were scary. The sounds that come from both scare the crap out of me.

Also, I feel like I'm kinda over the hump in terms of difficulty at like 15 hours in. I've crafted so many neuromods that I've essential become super sneaky sanic and just can move so fast nothing really notices me.

I'm pretty happy with the combat in the game. Yea it isn't revolutionary, but every weapon and power has a place in the game. I've found myself using pretty much every weapon I have depending on what I am going up against.

I'm also playing on hard, which makes combat scenarios a lot more puzzle like in how you approach it, which is essentially how dishonored worked.

Bad7667

It kind of sucks that you can't turn off objective locators. Especially given how customizable the Dishonored HUD was. I've taken to just marking quests as inactive to get rid of the locators, but that's annoying to do every time you get a new quest.

Yeah, its really unfortunate that every time I get a new quest I have to deselect it. They did say on twitter there will be a patch to allow HUD customization.

ZugZug123

My work has posters promoting crowd sourcing of ideas and they decided to put a black, shiny, weird shape on them that reminds me of Mimics. I keep wanting to punch the posters as I walk by. Pretty sure they placed the posters on Prey's release day too :/ So weird.

Also, I love them turrets. First thing I look for in every new portion of the map and I keep moving, deploying and fixing them as I move 20 ft at a time on each level. The little guys are ace in my book.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Did anyone found this missing card in Neuromod Division?

43Qd9Qz.jpg
Is it even there? I mean, I think I've explored the hell out of this location by now and didn't found it...

Nevermind, I think I know where it is.

carlsojo

Did anyone found this missing card in Neuromod Division?

Is it even there? I mean, I think I've explored the hell out of this location by now and didn't found it...

I found it. Full explanation:

Morgan hides it where that email says. Sarah (who sent the email) found it, and turned it into Alex. Alex has the keycard. You find it in his room.

I was actually wondering how it got there and couldn't remember lol.

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
Escaping the reactor room may just have been the single most difficult thing for me to accomplish in the whole game so far. In large part this is probably because I haven't really modded my movement at all and I haven't bothered with any upgrades involving movement or psionics. Also, Technomancers are by far my least favorite enemy to fight, even the nightmare has been easier for me to deal with.

The big problem I'm having in the late stages of the game is ammo conservation. I've been using the pistol, mostly. I keep running out of minerals to craft with.

It feels like I'm in the final stretch of the game. I'm hoping I can beat it in the next two hours or so, I'd like to get some sleep tonight before I return my rental tomorrow. I'm definitely going to buy this game for myself eventually though, I love it. I don't know if it'll be my GOTY but it's a contender for me.

I just entered
Crew Quarters
for the
Gathering Echoes
mission, is that nearing the end game? I've been playing for 13 hours

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
I just entered
Crew Quarters
for the
Gathering Echoes
mission, is that nearing the end game? I've been playing for 13 hours

I haven't finished yet but I'm approaching the end. I'd say that's around the halfway point.

Late game story stuff, I'm at the point where you have to
scan coral
in the exterior. I absolutely hate this segment. Please Arkane, if the game sells well enough to do a sequel/successor game, no more anti-gravity shit. This is the worst part of the game by far. The worst bit is that I don't even know where I have to go, the waypoint markers barely help when you're navigating a gigantic spaceship with no landmarks whatsoever. I'm close to this second thing I have to scan and I absolutely cannot find an entrance. I just wanna finish this segment and move on.

Edit: Oh my god there are technopaths here, what the absolute fuck, okay this is just stupid now. They can stop you from being able to move and just leave you as a sitting duck in space. Scrap this entire mission, it's awful. I love this game, but this mission is just terrible.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
At Crew Quarters right now. Been liking this quite a lot but that GUTS area was kinda ass, the zero g exterior stuff was alright but maaaan was that area a total pain in the ass to navigate. I still have a sidequest corpse to find there but had no clue how to reach it.

At Crew Quarters right now. Been liking this quite a lot but that GUTS area was kinda ass, the zero g exterior stuff was alright but maaaan was that area a total pain in the ass to navigate. I still have a sidequest corpse to find there but had no clue how to reach it.

lol funny I just came in here to say how much I love the GUTS section. I'm all for the zero-G navigation, though wish the map wasn't so useless in there. Reminds me of Adr1ft which I really liked. Finding that guy's corpse was hard though, knew where it was since I was tracking it but had to resort to a video to see how to get to it.

aravuus

Yeah, I can definitely see it and (light late-game spoilers)
the part with all the super strong combat operators
be the ones I'll be rushing through in future playthroughs

pa22word

Escaping the reactor room may just have been the single most difficult thing for me to accomplish in the whole game so far. In large part this is probably because I haven't really modded my movement at all and I haven't bothered with any upgrades involving movement or psionics. Also, Technomancers are by far my least favorite enemy to fight, even the nightmare has been easier for me to deal with.

The big problem I'm having in the late stages of the game is ammo conservation. I've been using the pistol, mostly. I keep running out of minerals to craft with.

It feels like I'm in the final stretch of the game. I'm hoping I can beat it in the next two hours or so, I'd like to get some sleep tonight before I return my rental tomorrow. I'm definitely going to buy this game for myself eventually though, I love it. I don't know if it'll be my GOTY but it's a contender for me.

Boost up the qbeam and that area isn't that bad. It's really shocking how heinously that thing just flat mauls things once you pump a few weapon kits into it, because it's kind of a shit weapon when you first pick it up.

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
Yeah, I can definitely see it and (light late-game spoilers)
the part with all the super strong combat operators
be the ones I'll be rushing through in future playthroughs

I just arrived at the point you put under the spoiler. I have basically no ammo and no healing items at all. I don't even know if it's going to be possible for me to survive this bit. This is going to be a hell of an escape from enemies.

Oh for Technopaths, you can kill them with a fully modded stun gun. I think it even works on the psychic ones too.

You people are nuts, Zero G in this game is fucking amazing. Probably my favorite part.

Edit: 32 hours and I'm still inside Deep Storage.

ISee

As someone who played the shit out of Descent: Zero-G is awesome!

The only problem I have is the hacking mini game. It sucks. It is also a lot more easy with a controller than with k&m.

I was in the
cargo bay chatting with the survivors
when suddenly a freaking
nightmare
shows up!

Luckily it got trapped in some cargo and was easily dispatched. Still though, I worry that one is going to spawn and just wipe out all of the
survivors

Also got hit with my first crash (PS4 version). Stinks.

Top Bottom