• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Lijik

I didn't look at the achievements so I didn't even know this was really possible. I'm in awe.

There is one specific case that might cause this, but now that I think about it it doesn't really fit your description. Just in case:
Are you looking for Sylvain Bellamy? Is his current location always where you happen to be? And do you happen to have his tracking bracelet?

But the way you put it sounds like there are multiple people involved, so maybe not.
No this is for rando crew members (plus
i recycle any tracking bracelets i find for materials
). I thought I mightve been just missing people each time i took a break to go look up people en masse (its a big list!) but on a return trip to the lobby there were unchecked corpses in obvious right out in the open areas like the stairwells that i crisscrossed multiple times in the early game so it doesnt make sense Id miss them in any capacity. I need to go compare older save files next time i play to see if it really is changing or not

mbpm1

No this is for rando crew members (plus
i recycle any tracking bracelets i find for materials
). I thought I mightve been just missing people each time i took a break to go look up people en masse (its a big list!) but on a return trip to the lobby there were unchecked corpses in obvious right out in the open areas like the stairwells that i crisscrossed multiple times in the early game so it doesnt make sense Id miss them in any capacity. I need to go compare older save files next time i play to see if it really is changing or not

that sounds spooky

kliklik

Banned
Do the crew move around over time? I swear everytime I check a pc to check up on the corpses Im missing theres new people dead in areas I was pretty sure I cleaned out.

Yes. For example, in the Lobby,
when you first visit, you can go into both the men's and women's washrooms just fine. But on a subsequent visit, you'll find the women's washroom (left) blocked up with gloo. If you smash through it, you'll find a guy who died there while you were away.
So yes, crew is moving around. I don't think you can save them though - it seems scripted.

NotUS

So this is the game for me if I loved System Shock 1/2, Deus Ex, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Vampire: The Masquerade -- Bloodlines, Thief: The Dark Project and Thief II, Bioshock, etc.?

I had no idea we even got a new Prey, this release came out of nowhere for me.

This game easily sits among that list, it's a gem of a game.

So this is the game for me if I loved System Shock 1/2, Deus Ex, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Vampire: The Masquerade -- Bloodlines, Thief: The Dark Project and Thief II, Bioshock, etc.?

Stop what you're doing. Go now to get this game. It's closest to System Shock 2 than any game has been since, including BioShock. I noticed you didn't include Dishonored in your list there, once you're through Prey I would recommend checking out the Dishonored games as well. I think I'm liking Prey more than Dishonored.

benzopil

A new update for Prey (v0.5) is now available via Steam as a Beta update

​​Fix to prevent Save games from becoming corrupted. Fix also returns corrupted Save games to uncorrupted state.
----->Also addresses some additional crashes on map loads.
Hacking during the Power Plant reboot no longer causes the reboot to fail to complete.
Fix to prevent the Player from becoming stuck in certain circumstances.
Nightmares will now always search for the player once spawned.
Saving and Loading PC settings will now save correctly for users with special characters in their Windows usernames.
Numerous fixes to GLOO to prevent breaking and bypassing collision, prevent corpses from passing through walls and floors.
Updated Recycling to prevent infinite material creation.
Fix for occasional combat freeze when attacking Phantoms
Kaspar’s objective indicator should no longer disappear.
Updates to audio mix to adjust volume of music, audio logs, cutscenes.

Azzanadra

I'm in the same position as you, but what if I don't particularly like Arkane? I love the immersive sims, but I don't think too fondly of the Dishonored games for their paper thin stories, terrible writing and tedious upgrade hunting. Their good time wastes, but I much preferred Mankind Divided last year for at least having the "immersive" part of the immersive sim, I could never get into Dishonored's world the same way I got into Deus Ex or Bioshock or System Shock. Honestly felt like a world created just to justify the playground of gameplay mechanics which is fine, but part of the reason I play these games is because of the worlds/lore/story.

mbpm1

Speaking of
typhon
powers I read that
Greater Mimics can mimic turrets and even have similar functionality
Can the later stages of my Morph power also do that or

I'm in the same position as you, but what if I don't particularly like Arkane? I love the immersive sims, but I don't think too fondly of the Dishonored games for their paper thin stories, terrible writing and tedious upgrade hunting. Their good time wastes, but I much preferred Mankind Divided last year for at least having the "immersive" part of the immersive sim, I could never get into Dishonored's world the same way I got into Deus Ex or Bioshock or System Shock. Honestly felt like a world created use to to justify the playground of gameplay mechanics which is fine, but part of the reason I play these games is because of the worlds/lore/story.

Having played Mankind Divided, i think Prey beats that in both immersiveness and less tedious story. And comparing it to my foggier memories of Dishonored 1 it's more fun to explore the world and read about people here too.

Game glitched and took my fully upgraded margrave shotgun :( I'm gonna pretend it was lost during my epic space battle against the enemy.

Ouch. Was it the elevator/arboretum thing or did it happen elsewhere? Man, I don't want to keep playing if I have to be constantly paranoid about major inventory items just disappearing anywhere in the game.

munroe

Do the crew move around over time? I swear everytime I check a pc to check up on the corpses Im missing theres new people dead in areas I was pretty sure I cleaned out.

Once I was looking at the security monitor and noticed an npc in the place I was in, a bit later in a different area, checked the monitor again and that same person was in the same area as me again !

Turns out I had forgotten I was carrying their tracking bracelet around.....

Lijik

Yes. For example, in the Lobby,
when you first visit, you can go into both the men's and women's washrooms just fine. But on a subsequent visit, you'll find the women's washroom (left) blocked up with gloo. If you smash through it, you'll find a guy who died there while you were away.
So yes, crew is moving around. I don't think you can save them though - it seems scripted.

Thanks for the confirmation.
Also turns out the NPC that got me to ask this - since I was absolutely certain I had cleared out the exterior of people the other night - moves location for plot related reasons

chrixter

Okay, have to ask before I make a mistake. Are the
Typhon powers
worth it? What are the pros and cons?
Pros: Ability to enter certain rooms you wouldn't be able to otherwise, exploit a wider range of enemy weaknesses, and
free human NPCs from mind control

Gameplay consequences:
After obtaining two powers, turrets will fire upon you unless you hack them. After obtaining several more powers, you'll be periodically hunted by a certain enemy for 3 minutes, during which you can either kill or run/hide from it. It spawned about once an hour for me.

Story consequences (vague spoilers):
A line or two of dialogue changes at the end. That's it. It doesn't give or take away access to any of the possible endings.

ymgve

Gameplay consequences: After obtaining several more powers,
you'll be periodically hunted by a certain enemy for 3 minutes, during which you can either kill or run/hide from it. It spawned about once an hour for me.

That happened to me on a no-mod playthrough too, so it always happens I think. Frequency might be affected by your number of mods though.

chrixter

That happened to me on a no-mod playthrough too, so it always happens I think. Frequency might be affected by your number of mods though.
Interesting. The first time it happened to me, January told me it was because I had taken powers. I wonder if you got different dialogue then.

The SSR setting seems fixed and the sound mixing is better but the voice of Operators are still outrageously loud compared to everything else.

Is the PS4 final game as laggy as the demo? That was pretty much unplayable as far as I'm concerned. Reminded me of dishonored 2(I think it was that game)

Foxxsoxx

Is the PS4 final game as laggy as the demo? That was pretty much unplayable as far as I'm concerned. Reminded me of dishonored 2(I think it was that game)

Not as bad but it isn't perfect.

You get used to it, though it really should have been fixed.

I'd say the experience was totally worth it but it did bother me.

GHG

Gold Member
Holy shit the
looking glass calibration jump scare

Got me good I tell you. I shat myself and started frantically shooting the screen with the goo gun.

Wanderer5

This game of hide and seek near the end is some bullshit.

You're talking about
Dahl's tech bot
? Apparently it might be bugged, but man did it feel frustrating of given
the task to find it somewhere out in the exterior of the station lol
. I ended up just using a guide and go to spots where it might possibly be.

Rizific

Booted up game, immediately noticed fucking terrible motion blur. Googled a fix and sure enough it's there, along with FOV adjustment. Thank GOD for pc gaming.

GHG

Gold Member
Man how are people beating the game in 10-13 hours? Just rushing?? Im like 17 hours in.

I'm 20 hours in and it looks like I'm about halfway through.

This game rewards exploration and curiosity like no other and I'm loving it. The only other games that scratch that itch for me are the soulsborne games. I love hidden loot and special items. It's all the better here since many of the items and locations feel so organically placed/located. The game world just makes sense.

Anung

Un Rama
Somehow I managed to read every e-mail, listen to every transcribe and do a no kill run on my first playthrough. Which took me 40 hours.

I totally loved this game. It might be my GOTY.

Granjinha

Question:

I'm in Alex's room at Crew Quarters.

Where the hell is the escape pod key? Can't find shit in this :(

EDIT: Ok, found it. :p

Top Bottom