• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Nerf rounds are also capable of popping and attracting cystoids, fwiw

Got the same problem, this is actuality worse when
Nightmare
appear, he took like 12-15 fully upgrade shotgun shot + all the gun perk to kill. I'm about 20 shotgun ammo left, 9 pistol, a little of the other, but i have like 10 mineral material.... thing will get ugly later. And i was a shit load of exotic, to make neuromed, but no mineral to use them. They could have balance the mineral cost of neuromed...

That sounds a bit odd. Been playing on hard, and even with half of the shotty/combat upgrades, one of those will go down in about 6-7 shots, if you start from right behind their accursed back.

gagecube

Banned
I went out on a limb and bought this game because I was hearing things about it being a System Shock / Bioshock successor.

Glad I did. I hadn't watched a single trailer for this game, nothing. I've played about 45 minutes and I definitely see the Irrational inspiration, not to mention I'm genuinely creeped about by what's going on. I literally jumped out of my chair when a god damn cabinet or something transformed and attacked me.

GG

Skulldead

That sounds a bit odd. Been playing on hard, and even with half of the shotty/combat upgrades, one of those will go down in about 6-7 shots, if you start from right behind their accursed back.

I play on nightmare.... this could explain thing...

I've used it to get into the morgue and a couple secured rooms. You can also break the physics quite easily to bypass some blocked off areas.

Actually i did know for the door button , but for the computer screen....this is a insane useful detail to unlock security room

noomi

one of the early neuromods you get says it
protects you form a recycler charge
, not sure what this really is...

one of the early neuromods you get says it
protects you form a recycler charge
, not sure what this really is...

It's not a neuromod, it's a chip.

And it protects you from
recycler grenades, which you find a bit later, that are literally grenades that just reduce the stuff you throw them at (enemies or otherwise)
into materials.

SomTervo

The game actually teaches you that nerfgun thing straight up, in one location.

But as with most things in the game, there's so much detail and so much scope it's easy to miss that tidbit.

Zaptastic

Neo Member
The game actually teaches you that nerfgun thing straight up, in one location.

But as with most things in the game, there's so much detail and so much scope it's easy to miss that tidbit.

I caught on quickly with the computer screen, but it took me a while to think of using it on doors. I could see others being overwhelmed and not catching on as easily.

lol oh yeah, trying to do quest Copy protection. Can I do that quest now? To unlock more neourmods

Just use your gloo gun to access the 2nd floor of the lobby, or repair the broken elevator near the security office. It's funny, I actually stumbled across the unlimited neuromods before I saw the vid in Yu's office. So I'm kind of OP right now, since I can access most things via hacking and can unlock most of the skills. And I just entered Psychtronics.

KorrZ

Biggest irritant in this game for me right now is hacking a turret when I'm just trying to deploy the thing. Seemingly no way to back out of the hack either? Irritating.

My buddy has asked me to post this and see if anybody knows of this issue.

When he is trying to move or walk forward, his character seems to shift to the right. Is this normal or a controller issue? Thanks!

Biggest irritant in this game for me right now is hacking a turret when I'm just trying to deploy the thing. Seemingly no way to back out of the hack either? Irritating.

You don't need to press and hold the deploy button. If you do, you have to hack.

My buddy has asked me to post this and see if anybody knows of this issue.

When he is trying to move or walk forward, his character seems to shift to the right. Is this normal or a controller issue? Thanks!

I'm assuming ps4? If so, the drifting is a known issue. It seems to fix the imput lag they, messed with the dead zones in the controller. So the movement is pretty sensitive.

v0mitg0d

Excellent, thank you. Unfortunately, I think I'm too far to remedy some of these issues, having spent my neuromods on miscellaneous abilities and such, but my next playthrough should be far more promising knowing all of this. And I do have the Mimic Reveal chip. It has taken much of the anxiety out of the game, thank god. haha

You're welcome!

noomi

It's not a neuromod, it's a chip.

And it protects you from
recycler grenades, which you find a bit later, that are literally grenades that just reduce the stuff you throw them at (enemies or otherwise)
into materials.

ahh right, thanks.

Got it, didn't realize I could
throw it at an enemy and turn them into materials, I thought it was just for actual items like mugs, chairs, boxes...etc

Thank you!

You don't need to press and hold the deploy button. If you do, you have to hack.

I'm assuming ps4? If so, the drifting is a known issue. It seems to fix the imput lag they, messed with the dead zones in the controller. So the movement is pretty sensitive.

Is there a fix for this?

kliklik

Banned
Can anyone confirm that you can find a keycode/password for every locked door, computer, and safe in the game? I hate the hacking minigame.

void666

Banned
I'm playing on PC with an xbox controller and i sometimes notice this issue as well. My character limps to the side.

Anyways, had tons of fun last night. Maxed mobility and leverage 3. Running and jumping at full speed, swinging my wrench ragdolling phantoms as if they were puppets. Throwing heavy stuff at them.
I feel like i was relying too much on firearms before.

so spoilers mid game , I got given the option to
save Aaron Ingram or drop some mimics on his head , I decided to save him. But he just ran and his In a corner , was he suppose to unlock something ?

mbpm1

Can anyone confirm that you can find a keycode/password for every locked door, computer, and safe in the game? I hate the hacking minigame.

Is that really a thing? That doesn't sound possible considering some keypads straight up do not work and you have to hack them to get in

Mifec

so spoilers mid game , I got given the option to
save Aaron Ingram or drop some mimics on his head , I decided to save him. But he just ran and his In a corner , was he suppose to unlock something ?

Nope, you just get 1 empathy point for doing it.
Can you give me a percentage of where I'm at in the main story?

Like 20% more I think. Maybe less depending on if you do sidequests.

chrixter

Finished the game in about 28 hours. Log says 57 quests completed, 272 crew members found (missed a few due to glitches, plus another 3-4 that apparently only spawn if you play a certain way). A few side quests sadly bugged out on me as well and prevented me from completing them.

Nevertheless, I loved my time with the game. Few games have immersed me in their world the way Prey did. The exploration and problem-solving are absolutely top-notch - typical of the genre, of course. But it was really Prey's fiction that pulled me in so hard. Searching every nook and cranny was more addicting than usual because I craved more context for the world and plot, which the game was happy to reward me with constantly.

One of my favorite discoveries is one that's very easy to miss unless you're using security terminals to track down every NPC:

Through listening to audio logs and reading notes from various crew members you come to learn that all the escape pods are supposedly malfunctioning, and they can't figure out why. Well, there's a gigantic digital billboard that says "TRANSTAR" orbiting the outer perimeter of the station, and if you fly there after tracking the right NPC you'll find his corpse on top of it. Near him is a terminal that allows you to finish the hack that he started before he died... If you do so, the billboard's display changes to a heartbreaking warning: "escape pods are fake."

Lots of little stories like that throughout the game.

I was less enamored with the combat, though I did mostly enjoy it. But at a certain point enemies became more of a nuisance and weren't particularly challenging once I had a fair amount of abilities and upgrades. It was more satisfying to use my arsenal as tools to traverse the station. But other than the combat and audio mixing, it was a pretty stellar experience.

Quick question, is the missing item glitch only a pc thing or does it effect all systems? If so, I'll just have to make sure I have multiple saves around that area.

CamelCloud

So, what to do about the missing keycard for the Yellow Tulip locked door? Tried the gloo glitch to get through the wall, but it won't work. Probably patched?

v0mitg0d

I went out on a limb and bought this game because I was hearing things about it being a System Shock / Bioshock successor.

Glad I did. I hadn't watched a single trailer for this game, nothing. I've played about 45 minutes and I definitely see the Irrational inspiration, not to mention I'm genuinely creeped about by what's going on. I literally jumped out of my chair when a god damn cabinet or something transformed and attacked me.

GG

The mimics are terrifying at first.

Just finished the game. (PS4 version)

Spoilers

The last stretch got really messy. Two NPCs in my office went hostile as soon as they saw me. I still have no idea how it happened. I received quest completion and failure notifications for stuff I don't even remember doing. The glut of military operators screwed up my conversation with Alex. The prevalence of late-game bugs kinda soured me on an otherwise incredible game.

I'm probably going to think on the game for a day or two before I sit down and write my review.

mxgt

Banned
I can see myself playing through this game multiple times just to try different techniques/tools/skills for getting through areas, opening doors, etc. It's crazy how many different options and how much variety is in the game.

I haven't finished but so far this is my GOTY, and I really didn't expect when I was certain Persona 5 would be unbeaten but god damn this game is amazing.

Also it's really simple but the way you interact with terminals, recyclers, fabricators, etc adds SO much to the experience. Feels like actually using a real interface, it's hard to explain really.

The input lag on the PS4 version is fucking real.

Yeah. Shrinking the deadzone only exasperated the issue. I have to actively take my thumb off of the analog stick if I want to stand still while reading emails.

The lag is especially annoying when trying to eliminate cystoids. Usually what I do is shoot the nest once with the handgun, then immediately follow up with a kinetic blast.

v0mitg0d

I can see myself playing through this game multiple times just to try different techniques/tools/skills for getting through areas, opening doors, etc. It's crazy how many different options and how much variety is in the game.

I haven't finished but so far this is my GOTY, and I really didn't expect when I was certain Persona 5 would be unbeaten but god damn this game is amazing.

Also it's really simple but the way you interact with terminals, recyclers, fabricators, etc adds SO much to the experience. Feels like actually using a real interface, it's hard to explain really.

Same!

I started the game out ready to bath in the entire skill/ability trees, however once I picked up Mimic in the Alien tree, I have been focusing everything in the human abilities saving the alien powers on my Hard playthrough.

This game really is something special and I'm bummed it's (apparently) not selling very well.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
N0BQjgB.jpg
Amazing song! Give the full length version to me now!

I'm curious, did you even download a patch?
I waited for the latest everything to install before playing. Played Zelda in the meanwhile lol.

At first I thought it was just 30 FPS in first person on consoles, something I swore myself off of as I just do not like it anymore (hooray RE7). I can stand it in Zelda or Uncharted but in 30 FPS in first person, especially in a game where clarity determines how well you can distinguish the many individual objects around you, I was already put off by the obnoxious blur. Then I watched Digital Foundry and learned about the PS4 version's input lag.

I might wait for the PC version to drop in price or grab the One version from the library instead. Love me the detail on hand though, I think this game is gonna be great.

Top Bottom