• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

How long does it usually take to get a steam refund? Lovin the game, just wanna buy it cheaper elsewhere..... But i also wanna play the shit out of tonight :p

Lijik

Anybody know where the key to the I.T Supply Closet is(Talos 1 Lobby)?
i tried looking into this and supposedly
the people inside will leave and can be found during a kill everyone run. Someone tried glitching inside and just found an empty room with tracking bracelets so i dont think its meant to be opened on your own

Please tell me this isn't a bug, and if it isn't please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

For the quest about Bellamy....

I am now in front of the crew quarters and I have Bellamy's keycard. Yet the door says I have no matching keycard. I checked at data>keycards and I really definitely have his keycard.

munroe

Anyone, please?

If you really want to know (late game)
When the base gets invaded by Dahl and his military operators, you'll get offered a quest to kill remaining survivors (not sure if you have had to kill alot of people up to this point)

The people in the IT supply closet have left that room and are attempting to escape at the life support escape pods, one of the survivors there will have the closet key.

They spawn for that quest which is why they're not present when people glitch through the door

Please tell me this isn't a bug, and if it isn't please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I am now in front of the crew quarters and I have Bellamy's keycard. Yet the door says I have no matching keycard. I checked at data>keycards and I really definitely have his keycard.

Wait, are you in crew quarters or outside the main door?

If you're standing in front of crew quarters then you need the key for that first
which is located outside the deep storage door on the dead body

Well yes those fuckers just melt me and now i just got tilted and dont wanna play the game.

I dont have anything to fight these shit enemies with either. The shotgun that has been my go to weapon barely scrapes them...

Seems i have played the game in a shitty way then and now im fucked.. fun times.

From all of your negative posts it sounds like this really isn't your sort of game. Sounds like you just want a game with no locked doors, minimal to zero exploration and which requires no skill to fight the enemies

Gotta get into Crew Quarters first.

Stevey

Well yes those fuckers just melt me and now i just got tilted and dont wanna play the game.

I dont have anything to fight these shit enemies with either. The shotgun that has been my go to weapon barely scrapes them...

Seems i have played the game in a shitty way then and now im fucked.. fun times.

Stun gun and wrench

psychotron

Been exploring for about 10 hours. I've found many locations but haven't really received many side quests. I've got the
"Who is December?"
quest, who was just killed by
January
. I also have the
Bellamy
quest, but that's it's for side stuff. I feel like maybe it's because I just haven't advanced the story much. I just got my scanner and
mimic
ability.

GavinUK86

Just finished it. Wow. It really picks up the narrative slack later on.

I saved everyone and destroyed the Typhon. Took Alex's hand in the post-credits scene.

That was 45 hours well spent.

Need to load a past save and check out other stuff.

PeaceUK

A fully upgraded stun gun does about 50% damage to them in one shot, and disables them so you can hack them or finish them off. They did a great job of giving every weapon an important purpose in Prey, nothing is useless, even the boltcaster.

So then you come into a room, pick up three Neuromods and in total you have seven. And then, I maxed out that firepower of The Margrave. I had to choose between that or go for Psychoshock. Meh that can wait. :)

I'm still relatively early in the game I think, just in the Arboretum the first time after taking a break for a few days, but I'm always confused when people say the game is overly hard and they're always dying and low on resources and such. I'm on normal so not nightmare or anything but I always have a shitload of food and medkits, in fact I rarely even USE medkits or even food since there always seems to be a medical operator I can stop by to heal. Same for suit repair kits, I have like three stacks of them but engineering operators are common enough I don't use the kits all that much. I have plenty of ammo and enough materials to craft more if I really need it. Honestly I wish the operator dispensers were just plain removed from the game, and the amount of food thrown at you was halved at least. Maybe difficulty will spike and I'll start burning through resources faster than I find them...

OBias

Completed the game "in the most empathetic way possible", it took me 58 hours. Holy shit, this was quite the twist. I hope the story will continue. People, don't sleep on Prey, this is the best immersive sim since the original Deus Ex.

I'm still relatively early in the game I think, just in the Arboretum the first time after taking a break for a few days, but I'm always confused when people say the game is overly hard and they're always dying and low on resources and such. I'm on normal so not nightmare or anything but I always have a shitload of food and medkits, in fact I rarely even USE medkits or even food since there always seems to be a medical operator I can stop by to heal. Same for suit repair kits, I have like three stacks of them but engineering operators are common enough I don't use the kits all that much. I have plenty of ammo and enough materials to craft more if I really need it. Honestly I wish the operator dispensers were just plain removed from the game, and the amount of food thrown at you was halved at least. Maybe difficulty will spike and I'll start burning through resources faster than I find them...

Yeah I don't find the game really that hard either. The challenge is OK but nothing too crazy. But that's of course thanks to all the powers you get and upgrading weapons helps a whole lot too. Not to mention items you can throw that weakens them etc.

Noks415

One of my favorite things about Talos is how much it feels like an actual place where people would live and work. I wonder if there are any secret areas or something along those lines that people have yet to discover.

munroe

Started a second playthrough, doing a Typhon only run which is already hard, can't expand my inventory so I'm constantly making runs back and forth to the recycler, then when I do get my powers won't be able to expand my psi pool or chipsets or anything

Djostikk

Killing a
Nightmare
isn't that hard, and for some reason I knew since I first saw it in trailers.

Just had a
jumpscare in elevator, didn't see that coming.

Kinda hit a boredom wall in this game

about 10 hr in spoilers

I uploaded the coral data to alex's computer and dahl interupts, these military operators are destroying me, am I supposed to run away? I'm playing on easy and I have mostly been using upgraded pistol/shotgun, but these operators are wrecking me

Any tips? I don't like playing stealth in this game, mostly see-something-shoot-something

lionpants

I find myself getting very sleepy playing this so far. Hopefully it picks up pace or something soon. I just entered GUTTs.

You barely get any neuromods and there are so many skills that I find myself needing. Can't hack this, can't move that, can't repair that, can't fortify that.

Anung

Un Rama
Platinum get! Probably the hardest I've binged a game since Doom last year. Gotta be up there as a GOTY 2017 contender.

BLU-82

about 10 hr in spoilers

I uploaded the coral data to alex's computer and dahl interupts, these military operators are destroying me, am I supposed to run away? I'm playing on easy and I have mostly been using upgraded pistol/shotgun, but these operators are wrecking me

Any tips? I don't like playing stealth in this game, mostly see-something-shoot-something

Other than usual EMP based weapons and abilities, I found the wrench to be surprisingly effective against them. You can stun lock them with heavy swings.

ilium

Reached the Arboretum and the
Technopath
and
Telepath
are crushing me wow
Gonna try tomorrow again, I think I have some Nullwave granades on hand, hope this will make it easier

So today I decided to go fix the main lift. What an adventure THAT was.

First, a question about the lift:
is there some other way of confronting that Technopath or whatever it's called? It seems like you can only really attack it directly, stealth doesn't really seem like a viable option and the area around the lift is very confined so I don't see how you could attack it from above or whatever. Maybe the only other ways to approach that area involve Typhon powers, which I don't have.

Anyways, got that done, head back to the lobby.
The game's habit of spawning in new enemies while you've been gone has reached its apex here. What the hell is a NIGHTMARE? Anyways, you'd better believe I ran from that shit. Never even left the lift, just slammed the button for Life Support.
Decided to try taking a detour through the cargo bay (or find the airlock) in order to get back to Psychotronics for a random side quest, a decision that'll probably cost me a few hours. But it feels like the kind of decision that would be forced upon you in other games, like a scripted wall that collapses in a specific area that requires you to go around via a very specific path. Here, it's completely organic and natural somehow.

So today I decided to go fix the main lift. What an adventure THAT was.

First, a question about the lift:
is there some other way of confronting that Technopath or whatever it's called? It seems like you can only really attack it directly, stealth doesn't really seem like a viable option and the area around the lift is very confined so I don't see how you could attack it from above or whatever. Maybe the only other ways to approach that area involve Typhon powers, which I don't have.

Anyways, got that done, head back to the lobby.
The game's habit of spawning in new enemies while you've been gone has reached its apex here. What the hell is a NIGHTMARE? Anyways, you'd better believe I ran from that shit. Never even left the lift, just slammed the button for Life Support.
Decided to try taking a detour through the cargo bay (or find the airlock) in order to get back to Psychotronics for a random side quest, a decision that'll probably cost me a few hours. But it feels like the kind of decision that would be forced upon you in other games, like a scripted wall that collapses in a specific area that requires you to go around via a very specific path. Here, it's completely organic and natural somehow.
That enemy you are talking about isn't hard to kill, especially if you have typhon powers. If you don't have powers, then I hope you have upgraded firearms. If not, then maybe it's hard to kill, lol. It hits hard but isn't very fast and it's a big target

Wanderer5

Reloaded my save that is right before the point of no return near the end, and just been exploring the station more in the last hour. I ended up finding the Q-beam weapon, which I was wondering before what the ammo was heh.

pa22word

Reloaded my save that is right before the point of no return near the end, and just been exploring the station more in the last hour. I ended up finding the Q-beam weapon, which I was wondering before what the ammo was heh.

Yooo the qbeam is rad as hell. Fully upgrade power and shot time and the thing just mauls everything. Kills them weavers in about 3 seconds flat.

SomTervo

Yooo the qbeam is rad as hell. Fully upgrade power and shot time and the thing just mauls everything. Kills them weavers in about 3 seconds flat.

Is it just me though or does the Qbeam not give any materials? It just like vaporises the enemy?

OMG i have a audio log that keeps playing

Yeah they get a bit glitched sometimes. Play another one or complete an objective

fully upgraded wrench worth it?

Yes. Charged two-hits most enemies, makes insanely short work of mimics, etc

SomTervo

You can upgrade your wrench?

It's on the skills menu. For engineer i think.

Not a Weapon Upgrade.

That enemy you are talking about isn't hard to kill, especially if you have typhon powers. If you don't have powers, then I hope you have upgraded firearms. If not, then maybe it's hard to kill, lol. It hits hard but isn't very fast and it's a big target

They can be hard if they have like 4 turrets and there isn't much cover

pa22word

@somtervo

I always get pickup materials with it...? Might have bugged out for you

All of the weapons are worth while from what I can tell. I found situational uses for all of them on my pure human run.

Like I keep seeing people have trouble with the technobeholders, and the stun gun of all things does absolute work on them!

Also endgame with the
military bots
: stun gun + hack = army of robowarriors

I'm most of the way through the game and I've just been using wrench and mobility perks as far as combat goes. I never even got stealth 1. I just hop around on top of cabinets and whatnot and occasionally descend to beat something to death with the wrench. I have like 2000 of some ammo types and I've never used a single health kit.

Stoze

about 10 hr in spoilers

Stun gun. Also if you have leverage, you can stack stuff in front of
the operator spawner to block the military operators from spawning
. Or just keep moving.

Upgraded stun gun and Q-beam are insane btw.

Jaraghan

I LOVE the Gloo gun and the freedom it brings. So many areas that require a working elevator or a path through a locked door... nope. Just build my own staircase. And the game REWARDS you for thinking outside the box in every situation. God damn it is beautiful.

Also, fuck the green dot. That got me real good.

mbpm1

I'm most of the way through the game and I've just been using wrench and mobility perks as far as combat goes. I never even got stealth 1. I just hop around on top of cabinets and whatnot and occasionally descend to beat something to death with the wrench. I have like 2000 of some ammo types and I've never used a single health kit.
if you have that much stuff you should recycle it and put it into some mods. sounds like a fun playstyle

well I fucked up
I managed not to spoil myself at all on this game
but I'm pretty sure I spoiled myself on the identity of a key character
when I began (major spoilers inferred ahead)
another new game to show a family member this game's baller ass opening and chose the gender I didn't choose the first time.

Top Bottom