• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey review thread

It's bizarre. It's either preorder the game or I'll wait for a sale. There's no in between. It's like the industry has conditioned people into being completely irrational.

Im on mobile and at work so I haven't checked reviews but is that input lag gone? Cause the demo was unplayable for me
It's not irrational to wait for a sale, it's sensible.

Azzanadra

I hate to ask and I am probably going to look quite stupid, how does this review embargo thing even work? Is that not a clear violation of the first amendment(using American law as an example)?

I hate to ask and I am probably going to look quite stupid, how does this review embargo thing even work? Is that not a clear violation of the first amendment(using American law as an example)?

The First Amendment only protects you from government prosecution.

They just make you sign a contract saying you won't release a review before the embargo. Or, in this case, simply not send out early review copies.

The First Amendment only protects you from government prosecution.

They just make you sign a contract saying you won't release a review before the embargo. Or, in this case, simply not send out early review copies.
Not even a contract, at least with the indie games I've covered. They just ask that you dont write about a press release/trailer, or not to post coverage or review, till a certain time or date

Pretty sure Dishonored 2 was made by the second studio in Lyon while Prey comes from the original Dishonored team in Austin.

Lyon Studio is the original Arkane team. The Austin studio was established in 2006, so that technically makes it the second studio

Xe4

Banned
Not even a contract, at with the indie games I've covered. They just ask that you dont write about a press release/trailer, or not to post coverage or review, till a certain time or date

Yep. People/sites have been known to break press embargoes. What happens is the next time they aren't sent an early copy, which is incentive enough not to break it.

OT: these scores look great! Though I'm hardly surprised having played the demo on the XB1, where the PS4 lag wasn't a problem. Shit was amazing. I was shocked at the demo impressions being so negative, though I later learned it was because a problem with the PS4 version.

pa22word

No pro improvements would be a huge disappointment. No buy of that is the case.

It wouldn't shock me if it's there but just something like running at 1440p but locked down to 1080p for non 4k users again.

Once studios started doing that any and all reason I had for wanting a pro fucking died. I mean I just don't see the point in paying good money for a pro when half of the upgrade is arbitrarily locked.

Dmax3901

Still making my way through it, way too early for me to have formulated my thoughts, let alone finished the damn thing.

It's more like Bioshock with jump scares - really good ones. You will never look at a coffee mug the same way again.
Bioshock had jumpscares. Good ones. Infinite less than 1 (for obvious reasons), but it's still an odd comparison to make. That said, the atmosphere sells me on this alone. Arkane did a great job.

Me when I see too much of the same shit in game:

H9Cjvfs.gif

I feel quite vindicated for my faith that this would turn out well. The PS4 demo was concerning (controls and lag were off) but it had the elements that I was looking for that defined System Shock to me, just need that small push to greatness and lo and behold it got it.

I really hope this game does ok for Arkane sales wise as it doesnt seem to have a ton of buzz. But both this and Dishonored 2 seem to be generally considered great games but D2 didn't light the charts on fire with sales either.

It would just be a shame to see a studio that is developing these great AAA single player experiences not get some good commercial traction

I really hope this game does ok for Arkane sales wise as it doesnt seem to have a ton of buzz. But both this and Dishonored 2 seem to be generally considered great games but D2 didn't light the charts on fire with sales either.

It would just be a shame to see a studio that is developing these great AAA single player experiences not get some good commercial traction
Don't know much of an indication it is, but on Amazon, Prey is #10 on PS4 best sellers, #5 on X1 Best Sellers, and on Steam, it's the #1 Global Top Seller

Chris1

I think a lot of it has to do with there being no reviews really. Doom dishonoured and now prey will all most likely not set the charts on fire sales wise and all 3 have the no reviews deal in common

Maybe it's just a coincidence but I think the whole reviewing does a lot for hype/sales as much as it hurts them when a game is bad. Horizon for example wouldn't of done as well as it did if it didn't have a week worth of reviews hyping it up. With Bethesda reviews just seem to come and go unnoticed without a proper embargo but maybe that's just me

D2 was my most anticipated game of the year, the state of it's release was just absolutely pathetic and really killed my excitement. I think I played Dishonored 1 at least 4 or 5 times and was so excited. So I remained cautiously optimistic for Prey, and holy hell am I glad I did as it's a great game so far.

I think a lot of it has to do with there being no reviews really. Doom dishonoured and now prey will all most likely not set the charts on fire sales wise and all 3 have the no reviews deal in common

Maybe it's just a coincidence but I think the whole reviewing does a lot for hype/sales as much as it hurts them when a game is bad. Horizon for example wouldn't of done as well as it did if it didn't have a week worth of reviews hyping it up. With Bethesda reviews just seem to come and go unnoticed without a proper embargo but maybe that's just me

I agree that the review policy has likely hurt sales for all 3 games. A real shame because all 3 games were very well received (well, it's looking that way for Prey). I wonder if Bethesda will reconsider their approach?

I've also noticed they were extremely aggressive with pricing for Dishonored 2 and Doom. Both games could be had very cheap not long after launch... I hope Prey follows suit since I'm not going to be buying it (or any games) for a couple of months.

Wagram

I'll probably pick it up at some point, but i'm drowning in a backlog and i'm playing FFXIV again. Just can't justify a $60 purchase for a game i'm only mildly interested in.

Instro

I agree that the review policy has likely hurt sales for all 3 games. A real shame because all 3 games were very well received (well, it's looking that way for Prey). I wonder if Bethesda will reconsider their approach?

I've also noticed they were extremely aggressive with pricing for Dishonored 2 and Doom. Both games could be had very cheap not long after launch... I hope Prey follows suit since I'm not going to be buying it (or any games) for a couple of months.

Bethesda is always pretty aggressive with price drops, and sales on their games from what I've seen. Only exception might be Elder Scrolls.

Karak

Not even a contract, at least with the indie games I've covered. They just ask that you dont write about a press release/trailer, or not to post coverage or review, till a certain time or date

If I can't retail source a game I have found that the bigger releases now actually do have you digitally sign or at least affirm with legal agreements that you won't cover it. BUT after seeing tons of big websites, and folks like Jim accidentally break it a couple times(timezone issues or just flatout mistakes). They don't remove you from lists instantly if you break it. Or apparently not for some. Probably takes a break or two. Maybe not though. A recent embargo I had for a game I couldn't even say on twitter that I was reviewing it. Just 0 media discussion

I hate jump scares with a passion, both because they scare the hell out me and because I think they are super lazy and cheap.
This isn't that. The "jump scares" (at least the majority of them) are systemic and derived purely from the mechanics and design of the game. It's a means of ratcheting up the tension and encourages you to be cautious and observant while exploring.

Karak

This isn't that. The "jump scares" (at least the majority of them) are systemic and derived purely from the mechanics and design of the game. It's a means of ratcheting up the tension and encourages you to be cautious and observant while exploring.

yep

Sounds like it could work. From what I've seen it's mostly all centered around the mimic stuff.

To me the cheapest scare I feel I've ever gotten in a game was in Bioshock Infinite. Like that moment made no sense and wasn't built to at all. I don't even know why it was really there.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Wow after that very strange ps4 demo.
Did not expected those ratings at all.
Gratz! 😎😎

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...at-kind-of-game-is-this-exactly/#346131863116

Has anyone brought up this guys "impressions"? I honestly don't understand how you can call yourself a 'games journalist' without having any knowledge of the immersive sim genre, nor have any real frame of reference to compare the game to (bioshock, system shock, etc). According to this guy "Prey is focused mainly on one thing, from what I can tell: opening doors. You sneak around the station trying to find passwords and key cards to open a frankly ludicrous amount of doors, trekking back through areas many times in what I will admit is some pretty neat level design, not trapping you in an endless forward march through the station, but allowing you to revist and re-explore old areas frequently."

I also watched gamespot's 'review in progress', where the writer complained about combat being vanilla after admitting he put all his points into health and repair. Some of these impression pieces are so far off the mark it leads me to believe that many of the reviewers are rushing through and missing a lot of the systems and experimentation the game offers. Bethesda really needs to reexamine this recent approach, as for a game like this, a slow burn that has significant depth, putting reviewers in a situation where they rush to get a review/impression out for the clicks will likely hurt the game...

Orfeas

Wow after that very strange ps4 demo.
Did not expected those ratings at all.
Gratz! 😎😎

Can't speak for retail console, but the PC version controls like a dream compared to the PS4 demo. Almost feels like two different games in how they control. Flailed wildly at mimics in the demo and don't miss that often on PC.

To me the cheapest scare I feel I've ever gotten in a game was in Bioshock Infinite. Like that moment made no sense and wasn't built to at all. I don't even know why it was really there.

lol that was a callback to Bioshock 1 and I was expecting it the entire game. It's definitely cheap though.

Top Bottom