• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey review thread

Morgoth

Banned
Just picked up my copy. Will play it once done with herizon. Played the demo and enjoyed it. Is this a standard 8 hour story or is there a bit of heft to the length of the game?

d00d3n

Just picked up my copy. Will play it once done with herizon. Played the demo and enjoyed it. Is this a standard 8 hour story or is there a bit of heft to the length of the game?

I have spent 12 hours looking for secrets, looting resources and smartly upgrading my character without making a dent in the main story. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a 50+ hour game for me.

I'm 8.5 hours in and, based on looking at the map and seeing how many areas I haven't been to yet, I feel nowhere close to the end. There's a lot of meat to this game.

Anno

15-25 seems to be common, depending on how much you like to poke around and do sidequests

Mr. Tibbs

Here's a couple of reviews not listed in the thread:

3.5/5 from We Got This Covered.

Prey burrows beneath your skin and never quite leaves your waking thoughts, but it's also buggy and imbalanced, marrying a first-rate setting to uneven gameplay. Comparisons with Bioshock are inevitable, but with its peaks and troughs, Prey reminds me more of Alien: Isolation.

Youtuber Gggmanlives doesn't score games, but you can here his mixed-to-positive thoughts here.

SlickVic

From all accounts... Not very well. Which is a true shame because it's a great game.

This might do better because it didn't launch in a super stacked end of year period.

Yeah, I can't really see how a lack of early reviews benefited Dishonored 2 in any way. Early reviews are essentially an additional avenue to get people talking and hyped about your game (on top of traditional advertising). Unless Bethesda didn't have a clue how Dishonored 2 would review, I feel losing that review discussion made it very easy for that game to come and go in a crowded Fall release schedule. By the time Dishonored 2 reviews started trickling in, I feel people were already talking about FFXV, Watch Dogs 2, and The Last Guardian.
And sure, the PC version of Dishonored 2 has issues that Bethesda probably wasn't too keen about sharing prior to release, but this wouldn't have been the first time a publisher only sent out early review codes for the console version (see Arkham Knight).

Or who knows, maybe early reviews didn't have much impact and the game simply wasn't meant to sell well. They discounted it pretty aggressively for Black Friday a few weeks after release (at which point most reviews were out) which didn't seem to make the game jump up the sales chart dramatically. Don't recall seeing it in the NPD's.

We'll see if Prey can fare better. The release schedule is certainly more favorable. I feel it's separated just enough from the surprisingly busy Spring release schedule and positioned quite nicely in the early part of this much slower summer release period.

AHA-Lambda

Nah I'm bout 13 hours in and nearing the end soon so I'm guessing bout 16ish by time I'm done, and that seems to be on the short end.

Depending on playatyle it's certainly in the 15-30 hour range

tesqui

It's fluctuated between 1 and 2 on Steam's global top sellers for awhile. So it seems to be selling pretty well on PC at least.

Wootball

Positive reviews but a poor demo - I don't know what to do...

Although if it's anything like Dishonored 2 it'll be 25% of the asking price in a month or so, making it a much better prospect.

GHG

Although if it's anything like Dishonored 2 it'll be 25% of the asking price in a month or so, making it a much better prospect.

It's a great prospect now if you like these types of games.

Easily in my top 5 games overall this gen, well worth the money.

It's fluctuated between 1 and 2 on Steam's global top sellers for awhile. So it seems to be selling pretty well on PC at least.

That's impressive considering how much it costs, $79.99 US here. I'm waiting for a sale and patch ( to fix the present bugs).
( I actually picked it up on launch but got a refund)

What's the cheapest legal way you can find it? I've only used steam and origin.

dlauv

That's impressive considering how much it costs, $79.99 US here. I'm waiting for a sale and patch ( to fix the present bugs).

What's the cheapest legal way you can find it? I've only used steam and origin.

Legal?

CDkeys. I got it for 37 bucks.

The likening of this game's input lag issues to Dishonored 2 has really dissuaded my purchase for now. I'd be playing on PS4 if I were to get it at all, and that version seems to be the most strongly affected.

I liked Dishonored 2 a lot from a story and design standpoint, but there was a constant feeling of impreciseness to the controls as I played on PS4 that often made it feel very rough and unpolished to play despite a very reasonable performance profile, especially since I played the first Dishonored game on PC where control fluidity wasn't an issue at all.

I mean, I can technically get the PC version of both Prey and Dishonored 2, my PC does exceed minimum spec requirements for both games, but to my knowledge, neither game is necessarily optimized evenly for lower spec hardware (which is kinda where my PC ranks these days).

Still, if PS4 Prey gets updated to feel a bit more in line with other well-optimized 30fps games on consoles, then it sounds like a game I could dig, even considering several other criticisms that seem common. I find it odd that Prey and Dishonored 2 are from what are technically separate studios (same company) and run on different engines, but both have the control fluidity issue.

Legal?

CDkeys. I got it for 37 bucks.

http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/prey-pc This one I take it.

And it's perfectly fine buying from these guys, I mean does steam allow it?

Under region it shows the picture.
mvKon24.jpg

Will this work in Australia?

Do you like immersive sims and System Shock, then check it out

GlamFM

Banned
Still undecided if I should refund this.

Can´t start it anymore because i´m close to 2 hrs on Steam.

Really, really don´t like the combat.

JodokusK

I'd say 'refund'. I'm about four hours in and the combat is still boring and badly executed. Stealth isn't great either.

It might all turn around after six hours, who knows. But I would refund and keep an eye on the game, perhaps buy it later at a lower price if you've seen enough to be convinced that it'll appeal to you at some later point.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/prey-pc This one I take it.

And it's perfectly fine buying from these guys, I mean does steam allow it?

It's of no concern to Valve. It's up to publishers to keep track of where their keys are ending up and take the action they feel is appropriate (CD Keys isn't an authorised distributor), which virtually never happens.

Under region it shows the picture.

Will this work in Australia?

Yes. The globe icon indicates that there are no regional restrictions.

It's of no concern to Valve. It's up to publishers to keep track of where their keys are ending up and take the action they feel is appropriate (CD Keys isn't an authorised distributor), which virtually never happens.

Yes. The globe icon indicates that there are no regional restrictions.

Thanks. Well, from the pic I thought it was just NA. :)

GlamFM

Banned
I'd say 'refund'. I'm about four hours in and the combat is still boring and badly executed. Stealth isn't great either.

It might all turn around after six hours, who knows. But I would refund and keep an eye on the game, perhaps buy it later at a lower price if you've seen enough to be convinced that it'll appeal to you at some later point.

Yep, done.

nOoblet16

Bioshock was a spiritual successor to System Shock as well. Just because Prey is more like System Shock does not make it "less like Bioshock" and it certainly does not make the comparisons and parallels to Bioshock less valid/relevant. Especially when the same idea is conveyed regardless of which game gets referenced.

System Shock is also an ancient game and you can't expect everyone to have played it. So it's not hard to see why people in 2017 will reference a similar kind of game from 2008 than a game from 1994 or 1999.

I've never even touched the first System Shock and barely played an hour of System Shock 2 because the gameplay is just dated today (especially the first game) and I was simply not having fun, the gameplay was outdated even 15 years ago. Which is why I'm waiting for the remake instead.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
12 hours in Im at the point where
just went to Alex's office to see that vid of me.
About how far am I into the story?

Also stumped on what Neuromods to hit next. Decided no Typhoid ones for this playthrough. I spec'd in survival early on. So I already have 300 health, med kit knowledge, Gun Damage and Gunsmith abilities. In addition to those I have Leverage II, 20% Recycle yield increase, Repair II, full inventory, first mobility upgrade, Combat Focus I. Been thinking about getting the full mobility upgrade and more Combat Focus to really go super human on these alien bastards.

Also had a really cool moment earlier in G.U.T.S. when
you go back and it is further infested, I tried to avoid a Weaver but an objective was near it and it wouldnt leave me alone. Said fuck it, went to one end of the area we were in, turned around and gunned it on my boosters. Pulled out the shotty, basically played chicken with the thing pulling a little out last minute, popping combat focus, and blasting that fucker out of existence before it could even react.
Felt very powerful. That is a good thing this game does, the ebb and flow how powerful you are and new enemies putting you in your place. A perfect example is in the Crew Quarters,
when you first go there and immediately have to run from the Nightmare initially with the sicko cook basically mocking you in the background as you scramble around. Just after you can go into the station bar and activate a set for a show, a motif to attract nearby enemies and execute them to some kick ass music. A complete juxtaposition in situations, but I think it reflects most of Prey's combat loop pretty well.
There are other things I could gush about the game, but that is what currently is on my mind.

Edit: Meant to put this in the OT.

Bioshock was a spiritual successor to System Shock as well. Just because Prey is more like System Shock does not make it "less like Bioshock" and it certainly does not make the comparisons and parallels to Bioshock less valid/relevant. Especially when the same idea is conveyed regardless of which game gets referenced.

System Shock is also an ancient game and you can't expect everyone to have played it. So it's not hard to see why people in 2017 will reference a similar kind of game from 2008 than a game from 1994 or 1999.

I've never even touched the first System Shock and barely played an hour of System Shock 2 because the gameplay is just dated today (especially the first game) and I was simply not having fun, the gameplay was outdated even 15 years ago. Which is why I'm waiting for the remake instead.

I most definetly expect a games reviewer to know about something like System Shock and how it influenced game design, it's not exactly super niche. Thief, Deus EX and System shock are all basically "cult games", so being a game reviewer and not even having a grasp knowledge on game history seems kinda bonkers.

ISee

Do you have fun playing Prey? If no, go refund the game. If yes, go and play it. It is that simple. Don't be irritated because the rest of us enjoy it.

Kill3r7

I most definetly expect a games reviewer to know about something like System Shock and how it influenced game design, it's not exactly super niche. Thief, Deus EX and System shock are all basically "cult games", so being a game reviewer and not even having a grasp knowledge on game history seems kinda bonkers.

You would be surprised how many reviewers don't game on PC or played the classics.

NHale

Yes, but why not make an exception when you have an obvious gem on your hands that will be universally liked by hardcore gamers/gaming press?

If you create an exception to the rule because you know it's going to be well reviewed, then when they don't make another exception for another game everyone will know Bethesda doesn't believe that game will review well.

This is about setting the table for the future where they can eliminate the impact of reviews on their day 1 sales. If they keep releasing good games under this new policy it's just a matter of time until people stop caring about policy and trust blindly that they will deliver another great game.

I totally do not think it's a requirement to know or have played SS, especially if it's not an explicit sequel.

Clearly inspired by for those that know, but no implication in it being a necessity.

Plenty of people who might buy and / or play Prey will have never played SS.

Top Bottom