• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey review thread

Zakalwe

Banned
Pat yourself on the back buddy everyone is very proud of you

That's verging on shit posting, junior. ;)

Review copies not being sent until release day is a big concern and the exact reason why pre-ordering is a bad idea in this instance specifically (besides the usual pre-order concerns).

The poster you quoted was expressing their concern regarding this in a valid way, and Bethesda has lost money from them because of their anti-consumer policy.

Truant

I would say RPG systems are more System Shock, but the combat and movement is more like Bioshock in that you're more mobile.

It's a nice mix of both, but I definitely prefer the systems here to Bioshock.

Zakalwe

Banned
I really didn't enjoy the demo on ps4. It felt too floaty, really couldn't find a flow with the combat.

People saying this is better played on pc leads me to believe I should wait to give it a shot when I build my next. Don't want to write the game off just from the ps4 experience.

No, there really isn't. Maaaaaaybe for a multiplayer game, but no. The game will be the same, or better with patches, if you wait.

But the zeitgeist! THE ZEITGEIST!!!

It is actually nice talking about a game in the moment, but it's not THAT critical if it's a good game to begin with.

Glad to hear this is decent, but not rewarding Bethesda for their shitty review practices. Will wait for a sale.

joecanada

You go girl!!

(Im sure the $20 or so they would get from you wont be missed, so you are only hurting yourself with this ridiculous stance)

Lol hurting yourself like sticking up for your rights as a consumer is so painful to do I can't wait any more days to buy this game day one !

I can tell the post hurts but not to the one who posted it

GeeTeeCee

I'm very tempted, but I still need to find time to sit down and try out the demo before I can commit. I hated the obnoxious jump scare chord in all the footage I've watched and I was hoping it might be adjusted at some point. The sight and sound of a mimic transforming and attacking should be more than effective enough on its own without the need for an absurdly loud scare tactic plastered over the top.

Everything else I've see from the game is very appealing.

dan2026

What did you find so annoying?
Besides the combat music. That shit is so ill-fitting, it feels like Mick Gordon actively tried to sabotage this game.
I didn't like the graphics. Everything was weird and shimmering like a bad anti aliasing solution.
The music was obnoxious and annoying.
And I didn't like like poorly swinging a wrench at goo octopuses.

DrD

Looks like it's as great as I expected. Arkane keeps on delivering, they're among the best devs these days. Bethesda published games have been really good this gen for fans of singleplayer games.

Went through the demo thread a couple of days ago, a lot of negative impressions there, including mine.
So basically you are just hoping "reality" adheres to your predetermined review bias. It's not like there were any positive impressions from gamers in that demo thread huh?

Van Bur3n

Good to hear the full game is looking great. I liked what I played from just the demo alone. Will wait for more reviews and if I decide to get it, it may be when its on sale.

Chrisdk

They actually might have fucked themselves over with their review embargo policy. Can't say i'm sad if this game sells badly. Might make them reconsider that anti-consumer policy.

Prey is getting good reviews, so they should have created some more buzz and dropped the reviews earlier.

I would probably have picked it up for full price, but not gonna support it now. Waiting for a sale.

ev0

I do wonder how the review policy effected Dishonored 2 as well. That game reviewed well, but released during the holidays and had zero hype.

Prey isnt even a sequel so it faces more challenge.

overcast

Bethesda really hurting their sales by withholding reviews it seems. These games are getting great critical response (this + Dishonored 2)

bj00rn_

Banned
Had insta-regret when starting playing earlier today because of a surprising disappointment over production value.. Some things here and some things there.. But I'm going to stick with it, I'm just starting out so I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

I agree with that statement

Feel free to post it in a relevant thread and not drive by shit post a game irrelevant to this thread :)

On topic, called it a while back that this game would be a surprise games of the year contender. Was worried by demo impressions but the reviews and OT impressions have been great!

Any specific thoughts on the soundtrack?

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Alright. I want this. What's the word on performance for PS4Pro ?

The answer is incredibly simple: don't preorder.

It's bizarre. It's either preorder the game or I'll wait for a sale. There's no in between. It's like the industry has conditioned people into being completely irrational.

Im on mobile and at work so I haven't checked reviews but is that input lag gone? Cause the demo was unplayable for me

skny

Arkane deservers better than than Bethesda, at this point they actually make better games than Bethesda's Game Dev department lol.

13ruce

Banned
The game sadly does not appeal to me it's great to see great scores i hope it does well, bought dishonered 2 instead since it was on sale in a local store.

Played the demo and watched a couple of gameplay vids.

Anyway i hope it sells well i want more games from this studio they made 3 fantastic games in a row. Wich is pretty good. Would be a shame if Bethesda ditches them:/

Vinc

It's bizarre. It's either preorder the game or I'll wait for a sale. There's no in between. It's like the industry has conditioned people into being completely irrational.

Im on mobile and at work so I haven't checked reviews but is that input lag gone? Cause the demo was unplayable for me

Here's the weird thing though, and I think it's just because of the way our brains work, but endless incentives have conditioned us to believe that we're getting more value by preordering. It stings a bit to buy a game soon after launch for full price and missing both the preorder bonuses, and the release day watercooler talk, if that makes sense. I think that pushes people into waiting for a sale.

Septic360

Banned
That's verging on shit posting, junior. ;)

Review copies not being sent until release day is a big concern and the exact reason why pre-ordering is a bad idea in this instance specifically (besides the usual pre-order concerns).

The poster you quoted was expressing their concern regarding this in a valid way, and Bethesda has lost money from them because of their anti-consumer policy.

Lol at the superiority complex.

The same could be said about the guy the "junior" quoted. Valid or not, the self righteous nature of that post rightly elicited the reactions it did from others in my opinion.

Glad to see its doing well, specifically because I like the studio. I likely won't get it for a while because I'm still disappointed on Bethesda as a whole with what happened with the original game and studio. Not to mention I wanted to be a space bounty hunter.

Wish yall the best though.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I liked a lot of what Dishonored 2 was doing, and it seems like the kind of game I'd love, but for some reason I couldn't really get into it and stopped playing soon after the clockwork mansion.

Could someone outline how this game differs from D2 apart from setting? I really want to like it.

Mr. Hyde

I generally try any game Chris Avellone writes so hopefully I can grab this sooner than later. I've been itching for a good story based fps.

I liked a lot of what Dishonored 2 was doing, and it seems like the kind of game I'd love, but for some reason I couldn't really get into it and stopped playing soon after the clockwork mansion.

Could someone outline how this game differs from D2 apart from setting? I really want to like it.

So far, I'm liking this a lot more than Dishonored 2. D2 was kind of Thief with tons of powers and crap narrative, while this is System Shock-like.

Liamc723

They actually might have fucked themselves over with their review embargo policy. Can't say i'm sad if this game sells badly. Might make them reconsider that anti-consumer policy.

Prey is getting good reviews, so they should have created some more buzz and dropped the reviews earlier.

I would probably have picked it up for full price, but not gonna support it now. Waiting for a sale.

You're getting reviews still on the day of release. Even if copies had been sent to reviewers earlier, you still wouldn't have seen these reviews until a maximum of like 3 days ago.

What you're suggesting is a non-issue, and you're dumb to not pick the game up because of it.

This game feels like a return to pc simulation shooters with hints of both system shock and deus ex thrown and mixed togeather, with an added dose of raptures incredible atmosphere. The mimics are a joy and legitimatley unnerving to fight and run into, yeah the phantoms are tougher, but they arent nearly as frightening as these fuckers. Its like if a face hugger could turn into anything and wait for you to walk by

I didnt like the demo..

angel_of_okay.jpg

Top Bottom