• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 |OT| The King Is Dead, Long Live The King!

They just need to make a HD version of Pro Evolution Soccer 4 with updated squads and shit. It was and will remain the best soccer game of all time.

OF ALL TIME BITCHES!

Pro-Evolution-Soccer-4-5-Trainer_3.jpg

spwolf

Anyone played 11vs11 beta? Seems to run fine here where official build network code was screwy.... i didnt get any jumps or anything weird with the beta online and I dont have good internet on PS3.

Jimrpg

There's so many little things wrong with the game....

• the worst case of "the CPU thinks this player has the ball, so the other player can't get to it even though it (looks) free" since Virtua Striker 2002 - you can't have the player's inputs disregarded like that in a footy sim, you just can't.

This has been in PES since the first one... im not sure how many titles that is - maybe 13? One of the things that shits me the most.

rvy

Banned
Anyone played 11vs11 beta? Seems to run fine here where official build network code was screwy.... i didnt get any jumps or anything weird with the beta online and I dont have good internet on PS3.

It's monkey doo doo. The cameras are terrible.

rvy

Banned
its crap, looks like PES 2013, BAL mode in 2014 looks better to me... but i played to it check online connection and if it was fixed.

It's pretty awful, yeah. I mean, you either have a camera for your player or you have a wide cam that doens't cover enough field to check your defense.
They even removed the ability from previous game where you held a trigger and your player would move with CPU aid.

Zabojnik

Just to be clear. 11 vs. 11 will be added via an official PES 2014 update? When?

Also, while I'm here, does PES 2014 have a set piece / free kick creation tool like Fifa?

rvy

Banned
Just to be clear. 11 vs. 11 will be added via an official PES 2014 update? When?

Also, while I'm here, does PES 2014 have a set piece / free kick creation tool like Fifa?

November, Everything in fucking November, Might as well just release the game in November instead of releasing an unfinished one.
Fun fact, they were too scared to put the game in its current state on their own backyard, Winning Eleven 2014 is only released in November.

360 patch from this week does nothing, still can't download the Data Pack without error.

As far as set pieces or whatever, I don't think so.

AlexBasch

Quick question guys, is PES2013 PS3 still alive online?

'cause I found a cheap, pretty sure positive it's new copy with a 'used' sticker on it and I feel like having an alternative to FIFA14 sometimes. :p

rvy

Banned
God damn it, had a brilliant moment during lunch break with Ronaldinho. He has Player ID and if you use a controlled shot from outside the box, sometimes he will use the shooting motion from his free-kick animation. I was fucking blown away by how real it looked.

I saved the replay, maybe I'll make a gif or something if I get a chance.

This fucking game. You love it. You hate it. You love it again. Hopefully Daymos hurries up wit the OF so I can start BAL and ML.

ICPEE

Summary

Version: PC

After downloading the patches and other mods the game now looks presentable with correct kits and transfers.

+ Player movements are excellent. They have weight to them and players dont insta-sprint like in Fifa.
+ Graphics look great. A good step up from last year and in my opinion its the best looking football game on PC.
+ Passing, turning and shooting is top notch.

- Goalkeeper are beyond stupid.
- AI players score from every angle due to the above. Suarez chipped my goalkeeper from an impossible angle on the byline even though my goalkeeper was on his line.
- AI players will ALWAYS catch your pacey players who are through on goal. Frazier Campbell is quick, yet Mertesacker of all people will catch up to him, pull at his arm or jersey to slow him down even if Frazier has a 10yard head start.
- Fouls? what fouls! You would think you're playing PES14 WWE Royal Rumble Edition. Had my players pulled, hacked, trampled, bodyslammed while the ref looks on.
- Master League is bare bones. No scouting, player development progress indictors, coaching staff. Nothing.
- The UI. Oh the horrible, horrible UI. How in gods green earth did...oh nevamind.

Its a promising game yet Konami gets it wrong in the crucial areas.
Konami is never going to topple Fifa if they dont learn from their mistakes. The UI looks like fuckin' PES on Playstation 2. What would it take for these guys to design a UI that has Windows 8 Metro clean looks or something similar because its 2013, not 2001.

mojo2

Neo Member
- AI players will ALWAYS catch your pacey players who are through on goal. Frazier Campbell is quick, yet Mertesacker of all people will catch up to him, pull at his arm or jersey to slow him down even if Frazier has a 10yard head start.
- Fouls? what fouls! You would think you're playing PES14 WWE Royal Rumble Edition. Had my players pulled, hacked, trampled, bodyslammed while the ref looks on.

These two kill it for me. Super fucking annoying! I'd rather have extremely fast strikers and frequent fouls than this shit.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
There's so many little things wrong with the game....

• goalkeeper AI at the short post, at sharp angles
  • goalkeeper AI positioning during crosses
  • tackles are way more powerful, but also way more dangerous due to the ref AI: if the attacked player gets rid of the ball, the "auto-aim" of the tackle will net you a card almost 100%
  • shots often don't have the oomph when you're close to the goal, seems like they neutered shot speed significantly
  • some smaller gripes with the presentation (offside camera on long passes)
  • defensive behaviour is way too efficient when automated, RT + A + LS and you're good 90% of the time. It's something FIFA got rid off and PES has struggled with this for a long time. The old A + X syndrome is back.
  • ref doesn't recognise clear handballs
  • ref doesn't let the game play out with advantages nearly often enough
  • no simple PK shootout option (a footy game staple!)
  • the worst case of "the CPU thinks this player has the ball, so the other player can't get to it even though it (looks) free" since Virtua Striker 2002 - you can't have the player's inputs disregarded like that in a footy sim, you just can't.

smh. It's frustrating, you can see the potential... in places ,but it's clearly not there. Squandered.

Summary

Version: PC

After downloading the patches and other mods the game now looks presentable with correct kits and transfers.

+ Player movements are excellent. They have weight to them and players dont insta-sprint like in Fifa.
+ Graphics look great. A good step up from last year and in my opinion its the best looking football game on PC.
+ Passing, turning and shooting is top notch.

- Goalkeeper are beyond stupid.
- AI players score from every angle due to the above. Suarez chipped my goalkeeper from an impossible angle on the byline even though my goalkeeper was on his line.
- Master League is bare bones. No scouting, player development progress indictors, coaching staff. Nothing.
- The UI. Oh the horrible, horrible UI. How in gods green earth did...oh nevamind.

Its a promising game yet Konami gets it wrong in the crucial areas.
Konami is never going to topple Fifa if they dont learn from their mistakes. The UI looks like fuckin' PES on Playstation 2. What would it take for these guys to design a UI that has Windows 8 Metro clean looks or something similar because its 2013, not 2001.

There are too many issues and many people in this thread mentioned them it's just bad for "the new hope" of the series, and I think there is just no hope here anymore, PES team refuse to change and refuse to improve and fix their mistakes or listen to feedback, sadly PES now is not for football games fans but only for PES hardcore fans who will hype anything Konami throw at them and them and say "dat fox engine" and ignore the game many flaws.

I really wanted this to be a real improvement because FIFA also going downhill since Fifa11, I wish someone new (2K, SEGA, Sony) enter this arena and make a real next gen football game.

Well this thread sure is a turnaround from just before the demo when certain posters were hyping 2014 to oblivion. Honestly, every damn year. Every damn year! You'd think some would learn, but the anti-FIFA brigade don't often stop at Logic Station.

It's been a very average few years for football games. PES cant climb out of the mire and FIFA's sinking into it. Saving my money this year.

rvy

Banned
Well this thread sure is a turnaround from just before the demo when certain posters were hyping 2014 to oblivion. Honestly, every damn year. Every damn year! You'd think some would learn, but the anti-FIFA brigade don't often stop at Logic Station.
A turn-around? Most people who liked the demo like the game, most people who didn't, don't.
Pointing out issues that need to be fixed is not saying that I can't play the game because it's shit. It's simply pointing out issues.

Every damn year what? This is the first time PES has a backbone to stand on for the next few years.
This is the first time in almost 10 years where PES actually looks far better than FIFA in motion.

If anything, the anti-FIFA brigade needs to grow bigger, because that shit game isn't going to suddenly get better. But I can see how having 15 top players playing a shitty game can be too much for most people to say no.

Jubern

IMO the game is good and more fun than FIFA, but what do I know. I'll gladly acknowledge its shortcomings, some of which are REALLY annoying, but to say the game is just bad and not a good foundation for the future iterations is plain wrong.

People are certainly too quick in saying "the king is back!" and all that, but some are even quicker when it comes to say "ah, told you it was a dud and the game is TERRIBLE".

tanuki

I've come back to PES after playing FIFA since FIFA 08 I'm definitely enjoying the game, it plays a fun game of football and looks great in motion.

But it has a couple of major flaws: the keepers being extremely inconsistent and the player switching can be a bit funny sometimes.

And then menu and loading screens are terrible. What ever happened to the quick substitutions screen from the PS2 days? I really miss that. Having said that, FIFA also has terrible menus and loading screens; they're just hidden behind glitz and being able to kick the ball around the in arena.

I'm wondering if this November patch is going to change much? I noticed WE is only coming out in Japan in November, so maybe Konami are tweaking the game for that release? Probably just wishful thinking.

bigol

I've come back to PES after playing FIFA since FIFA 08 I'm definitely enjoying the game, it plays a fun game of football and looks great in motion.

But it has a couple of major flaws: the keepers being extremely inconsistent and the player switching can be a bit funny sometimes.

And then menu and loading screens are terrible. What ever happened to the quick substitutions screen from the PS2 days? I really miss that. Having said that, FIFA also has terrible menus and loading screens; they're just hidden behind glitz and being able to kick the ball around the in arena.

I'm wondering if this November patch is going to change much? I noticed WE is only coming out in Japan in November, so maybe Konami are tweaking the game for that release? Probably just wishful thinking.

KONAMI took the right decision with WE.They really needed to wait two more months to fix the major game bugs and to complete every mode.

The game released in September is a beta (it's still a beta),Winning Eleven will be what PEs should have been at launch

sohois

It's been a very average few years for football games. PES cant climb out of the mire and FIFA's sinking into it. Saving my money this year.

PES has a host of content issues this year, the game is basically unfinished but as a game of football it is excellent. It's to be expected that with the major changes there would be some introductory issues, FIFA 07 & 08 were also pretty damn flawed, though Konami certainly ballsed it up big time. I would certainly not recommend you actually buy this game, as you have realised, its just too unfinished, but it is a very, very promising base to build on for the next generation.

One other point - for those who complain about the dreaded 'catch-up' bug - you are aware of dash dribble (double tapping R1)? I have had no issues with players catching up using it. Yes playesr without the ball are faster, but as long as you dash dribble you can manage to get to the keeper everytime. Plus even if they do catch up with the increased focus on jostling and being able to use the right stick to push players away, you can still get a shot off. It's not a problem for me at all, though perhaps once I start playing the top teams (only been playing ML D2 so far) it will be more apparant.

Sonix90

Neo Member
Attention! Achtung! Pozor!

576p is the new 720p. Try running PES in this resolution - noticeably better performance - no slowdown in the box, less framerate issues (mostly during the entrance scene), better responsiveness, some say that even AI is better. Just tested on my PS3 and really makes a difference, unless you can't put up with 4:3.

I know it shouldn't be like that but for now it's the best we've got.

I also feel like checking out other PS3 games like that, out of curiosity.

Oh, and after playing PES 2014 for a week, I fired up 2010 World Cup and damn, had such a good time. Felt like... playing good old PES, fast paced (even though I play on slow speed) non stop action, all matches were very exciting. And somehow I got better at it after 2 months break.

liger05

I dont know when I will play a football game again. Another year for me where both titles seems to have way too many problems to justify a purchase.

NHale

Oh, and after playing PES 2014 for a week, I fired up 2010 World Cup and damn, had such a good time. Felt like... playing good old PES, fast paced (even though I play on slow speed) non stop action, all matches were very exciting. And somehow I got better at it after 2 months break.

Best football game of this generation by far. It's a shame that it was only a national squads game. I would never understand why they changed the formula for FIFA 11.

PaulLFC

Attention! Achtung! Pozor!

576p is the new 720p. Try running PES in this resolution - noticeably better performance - no slowdown in the box, less framerate issues (mostly during the entrance scene), better responsiveness, some say that even AI is better. Just tested on my PS3 and really makes a difference, unless you can't put up with 4:3.

I know it shouldn't be like that but for now it's the best we've got.

I also feel like checking out other PS3 games like that, out of curiosity.

2010 World Cup was phenomenal. Might go and play it again actually. FIFA hasn't bettered it since. It had some of the best modes in a FIFA game as well, until EA went and shut down the servers at least.

Sonix90

Neo Member
I was about to ask somewhere which FIFA was most similar to 2010 WC - 10 or 11? I remember reading the reviews at the time and the general consensus was 2010 was pretty much 10.5, but was 11 much different?

I got PS3 this year, and frankly 2010 World Cup was one of the main reasons why I wanted to get a next-gen eventually. For years I was waiting for a World Cup themed football game that was actually good and had all of international teams, my actual interest in football started pretty much by watching France 98' when I was 8, and I've always been disappointed by how neglected the national teams were in football titles, 50+ teams in "regular" FIFA games nowadays are a joke, at least PES does it better but, of course, there're license problems.

I don't have any memories of FIFA 98', 2002 was trash, World Cup 2006 despite my best efforts to like it was broken in too many aspects, especially the overpowered GKs on higher levels (great soundtrack though) and still lacked the full roster, and then finally came 2010 which gets almost everything right, also in terms of atmosphere. I didn't play CYC at all though, I think I've tried one or two matches and then it froze loading a substitution, I've heard the mode is pretty buggy in general. It's also funny how the game doesn't tell you shit about what are the exact rules of qualifying in each region, if you don't know you must check it online.

I'm wondering what's going to happen next year, I really hope they won't repeat the DLC scenario as it was the case with Euro 2012. It ended up as a really half-assed mess that wasn't even fully licensed. I know it sounded like a good idea at first but as it turned out the DLC route made them really lazy.

To not be entirely off-topic, I'm glad that you can finally change clubs and take up the nationals team in Master League, shame it's been so simplified though. I can't even check how my players are gaining/losing stats, there's no confirmation, graphs, just silly bars next to stats that I have no idea whether they're moving up or down. If stuff like that isn't addressed in that November patch I'm going to be disappointed.

Business

Been playing with this for the first time since I tried the PS3 demo and I have to say I quite like it. The game is far from perfect but I think it sets a very nice base from where Konami can build up. Maybe the OT title should have been A New Hope.

Btw does anybody know if there's a way to turn off player names so I don't see them while I play? I find it really annoying.

Enjoying the game
Keepers are a little too shitty for my tastes though, especially online where people cheese with that shitty chip shot exploit. Other than that pretty good

A turn-around? Most people who liked the demo like the game, most people who didn't, don't.
Pointing out issues that need to be fixed is not saying that I can't play the game because it's shit. It's simply pointing out issues.

Every damn year what? This is the first time PES has a backbone to stand on for the next few years.
This is the first time in almost 10 years where PES actually looks far better than FIFA in motion.

If anything, the anti-FIFA brigade needs to grow bigger, because that shit game isn't going to suddenly get better. But I can see how having 15 top players playing a shitty game can be too much for most people to say no.

The mere fact FIFA is, you know, finished and entirely functional, pushes it past games which aren't. I know what you're saying, that the core gameplay is superior to FIFA's, but as a package, that's a laughable statement. You're letting your bias cloud your logic.

Lyng

The mere fact FIFA is, you know, finished and entirely functional, pushes it past games which aren't. I know what you're saying, that the core gameplay is superior to FIFA's, but as a package, that's a laughable statement. You're letting your bias cloud your logic.

And you are not biased?

I have been gone from PES since 2008. But honestly the gameplay in a Fifa match is so flawed these days. I refuse to buy Fifa 14 as it feels like its going back to its arcade roots, which really sucks. Allthough I understand the appeal for the masses.

The gameplay in PES is amazing and actually feels like a real football match.
The only real issue I have with PES is that its still not completely logic how you skill up your BAL imo.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Help!

Coule of things: can' find the myPES app mentioned in the game for the life of me (iPhone or iPad).

Also, you can watch statistica for vs COM matches, but what about local multiplayer matches vs my friend?

Is there a way to save/watch results for our matches other than pen and paper? Tired of argue about who's beaten who and when...

Dash Kappei

Nobody can help me out with my question above?
Btw, so glad we could ditch motioninjoy crapeware and still be able to use the DS3, plus pesedit.com 1.2 is great, still waiting for the new faces (Inter's players are especially ridiculous, considering they were perfect last year it pisses me off to no end) and third jersey option for most of Serie A is sorely missing.

Still, game is great and it runs smooth as butter on my rig.

rvy

Banned
BYUBOviCIAAq-o6.jpg:large

BYUBdmlCQAAPA2u.jpg:large

BYUCB61CIAE8FNu.jpg:large

BYUCB61CIAE8FNu.jpg:large

BYUCIHICAAAeZNx.jpg:large

Adam Bhatti ‏@Adam_Bhatti 3 min

So over 800 faces taking the count in-game to over 1000. Next step will be to bring details of fixes and the release date. Hopefully soon.

Eanan

800 new faces. Coming some time in 2014. Thanks konami.

Im eagerly awaiting the apparent release date of these faces.

Dash Kappei

Guys, please, please HELP ME OUT will you?
For crying out loud I've just wasted TWO fucking hours online looking on how to play couch co-op with my buddy in anything other than the exhibition matches to no avail. My google-fu must suck hard and I admit that I wasn't able to find nor a solution nor a definitive answer on the matter if it's possible or not.
But it must be there, why would Konami not let me play together with my buddy to try and win the ultimate trophy or whatever there is to win...
How the hell do we play together versus the CPU in the UCL, EPL, I mean something, even the stupid Konami cup or anything that goes beyond just playing ONE exhibit match and that's it? WhenI select 2 players there's no way to be on the same team, we are forced to choose a team each and go on the tourney playing solo.

Nevermind that there's no stats for offline (not CPU) matches and that the myPES app (lol, Facebook app that is) is STILL not going for anything other than PES2013 (lol. just try to use the QR codes)

Guys, please, please HELP ME OUT will you?
For crying out loud I've just wasted TWO fucking hours online looking on how to play couch co-op with my buddy in anything other than the exhibition matches to no avail. My google-fu must suck hard and I admit that I wasn't able to find nor a solution nor a definitive answer on the matter if it's possible or not.
But it must be there, why would Konami not let me play together with my buddy to try and win the ultimate trophy or whatever there is to win...
How the hell do we play together versus the CPU in the UCL, EPL, I mean something, even the stupid Konami cup or anything that goes beyond just playing ONE exhibit match and that's it? WhenI select 2 players there's no way to be on the same team, we are forced to choose a team each and go on the tourney playing solo.

Nevermind that there's no stats for offline (not CPU) matches and that the myPES app (lol, Facebook app that is) is STILL not going for anything other than PES2013 (lol. just try to use the QR codes)

You have to manually add a second player in every match. Start -> Choose sides.

Yeah, it's really stupid that you have to do it every single match, but that's how it is for some reason. I believe it's been like that since the PS1 days.

Top Bottom