• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 |OT| The King Is Dead, Long Live The King!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
For the new page:

Been playing the PC version through the TV and holy fuck. Locked framerate, 1920x1080 res, a couple of graphics mods and wow, extremely impressive visually.

Especially recommend the Sweet FX mods, like this one.

http://pesedit.com/forums/showthread.php?18357-SweetFX-for-a-sweeter-PES

Or this one

http://pesedit.com/forums/showthread.php?18455-SweetFX-settings-by-Stahuuuu

They really bring out the colors and texture detail, which are kinda washed out by default.

Also, on consoles, if youre having FPS issues, see if your consoles video output is 1080p, if so change it to 720p and it should noticeably improve performance.

Pachimari

Guys, I've been using the WENB option file for a few days and it's really cool. But since the 1.0 version's system file was damaged or something (they even said not to copy it) I'm not using it, and didn't copy the one from the 1.1 version either.

Am I just NOT supposed to copy it? Or if I actually am, what am I missing by not doing so?
Also, replacing my system file will make me lose every progression in the game, no?

Thanks for the answers. I'm having a blast with this game.

Didn't even know 1.1 was out, cool - downloading now.

What annoys me is, that the game is so slow at loading the league and club badges from the hard drive.

For the new page:

Also, on consoles, if youre having FPS issues, see if your consoles video output is 1080p, if so change it to 720p and it should noticeably improve performance.

This really makes me angry. Did Konami do any polishing on this game before release? Broken data pack, missing faces, patched in features, and now suggesting users lower resolution for optimal performance. I was so hyped for this game and I have heard so many disappointing things since its release.

Pachimari

Cam to think of it - this is the first I have bought a PES game since importing Winning Eleven 10 for PS2 back in the days...

Have gotten a review copy ever since but not this time, and then learning there's still a lot of these errors annoys me.

Yet I'll enjoy it until I get FIFA 14 for PS4 - I'll continue to play both football games throughout the year.

Anyone from Europe wanna try a online match in a few hours?

I still haven't tried it. :(

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
This really makes me angry. Did Konami do any polishing on this game before release? Broken data pack, missing faces, patched in features, and now suggesting users lower resolution for optimal performance. I was so hyped for this game and I have heard so many disappointing things since its release.

Annoying, but fixable

Been playing this all day and I was hating it compared to the demo, the shooting felt off, the pace of the game seemed all wrong, actually felt like a totally different game to the one in the trial I had played.

After messing with the settings, knocking the game speed down to minus 1 and changing to shooting style, it seems a lot more playable. My main gripe now is the camera is a little to close even at the widest setting, would like to see the whole of the pitch so I could spray some passes around

Eanan

Been playing this all day and I was hating it compared to the demo, the shooting felt off, the pace of the game seemed all wrong, actually felt like a totally different game to the one in the trial I had played.

After messing with the settings, knocking the game speed down to minus 1 and changing to shooting style, it seems a lot more playable. My main gripe now is the camera is a little to close even at the widest setting, would like to see the whole of the pitch so I could spray some passes around
Try the blimp camera. That shows virtually the whole pitch at once.

Pachimari

Isn't the 720p forced resolution just to make the game perform a little better and get rid of jaggies in the team select menu?

Anyway, installing WENB 1.1 now.

EDIT:
And installed. I really love this OP so far. Just played some exhibition matches with Chelsea, Liverpool and such and they did all the new transfers. There were some great goals in there too.

There's some fantastic gameplay in here when the bugs and errors don't show up, which they do almost all of the time.

WENB OF is currently eu only but there is a method to convert OF's to other regions. I hope it happens soon because it's looking like the best one so far

Jubern

Uuuuuh, yesteday when I played I was surprised to see I had all kinds of real stadiums (Saitama Stadium 2002, Old Trafford, Stade de France...) but booting up the game today I have the generic ones. Anyone knows what's up? Anything to do with the OF maybe?

Zep

Banned
For the new page:

Been playing the PC version through the TV and holy fuck. Locked framerate, 1920x1080 res, a couple of graphics mods and wow, extremely impressive visually.

Especially recommend the Sweet FX mods, like this one.

http://pesedit.com/forums/showthread.php?18357-SweetFX-for-a-sweeter-PES

Or this one

http://pesedit.com/forums/showthread.php?18455-SweetFX-settings-by-Stahuuuu

They really bring out the colors and texture detail, which are kinda washed out by default.

With some time on my hands, Im installing all edits and mods tonight. Can't wait.

Pachimari

Love the WENB OP so far as well.

I don't even like Liverpool but I'm #1 in the Premier League after 3 matches. Many varied goals.

Jubern

We ran into a problem with a friend yesterday, wonder if any of you know could be the reason...

Basically, we're both playing with default controls, but when we started the first game, my friend had the manual pass arrow showing every time he got the ball. We checked his controller settings, they are exactly the same as mine... Even stranger, every time we'd engage (after a goal or at the start of a half), it would go on and off.

Is this a known bug or something?

FTAJnJj.gif

Knurek

We ran into a problem with a friend yesterday, wonder if any of you know could be the reason...

Basically, we're both playing with default controls, but when we started the first game, my friend had the manual pass arrow showing every time he got the ball. We checked his controller settings, they are exactly the same as mine... Even stranger, every time we'd engage (after a goal or at the start of a half), it would go on and off.

Is this a known bug or something?

Recalibrate your friends gamepad, had the same thing happen to me recently, right analog stick wasn't centered for some reason.

PaulLFC

I just noticed on WENB that the topic title for their option file says "(now BLUS compatible)" - might be worth a look for any of you with US copies of the PS3 game that want an option file.

Jubern

Recalibrate your friends gamepad, had the same thing happen to me recently, right analog stick wasn't centered for some reason.

That was actually another problem altogether. The used controller I bought some time ago has some defects, one of them being having a piece of broken plastic that jammed the L2 trigger. I disassembled the controller and took that out.

It has another problem with inputs that may not register if the button is not pressed hard enough, it actually looks like the controller is a fake. It looks and feels damn real, but the label behind is obviously fake now that I look at it. Maybe same factory but didn't went through or failed QA... Oh well :/

BTW, new tweet from Adam Bhatti : https://twitter.com/Adam_Bhatti/status/384658241747427328

Patch is coming in November. Fuck. Hope me and my friend still play the game by then, because after playing a lot more we're definitely noticing the problems with the game. If we could just get the GKs and defense AI fixed...

Unbelievable. Fix for baseline features in November. What about a fix for the corrupted data pack? When is that one going to be cleaned up?

Dare I say never again, konami?

A simple squad update would be nice, it's been a month since the transfer window shut and yet still things aren't up to date in Pro Evo =/

Ugh fell victim to the cycle again. Demo showed so much potential. Full game full of bugs and lag. Traded that shit in.

Fuck Konami you clearly rushed this shit out the door. Should have focused on next gen.

Haunted

There's so many little things wrong with the game....

• goalkeeper AI at the short post, at sharp angles
  • goalkeeper AI positioning during crosses
  • tackles are way more powerful, but also way more dangerous due to the ref AI: if the attacked player gets rid of the ball, the "auto-aim" of the tackle will net you a card almost 100%
  • shots often don't have the oomph when you're close to the goal, seems like they neutered shot speed significantly
  • some smaller gripes with the presentation (offside camera on long passes)
  • defensive behaviour is way too efficient when automated, RT + A + LS and you're good 90% of the time. It's something FIFA got rid off and PES has struggled with this for a long time. The old A + X syndrome is back.
  • ref doesn't recognise clear handballs
  • ref doesn't let the game play out with advantages nearly often enough
  • no simple PK shootout option (a footy game staple!)
  • the worst case of "the CPU thinks this player has the ball, so the other player can't get to it even though it (looks) free" since Virtua Striker 2002 - you can't have the player's inputs disregarded like that in a footy sim, you just can't.

smh. It's frustrating, you can see the potential... in places ,but it's clearly not there. Squandered.

Generally enjoying this so far, even with its issues.

Like with so many re-designs it's all a bit unpolished but I'm glad they've put the groundwork in heading into the next gen.

Just to clarify with others playing on PC, there is an issue with changing players atm right? Like there's almost a second delay between pressing L1 to change player and it actually happening.

rvy

Banned
11 vs 11 Online Beta Sign-up
Round 2—Multi-format

Welcome to the PES 2014 11v11 online beta sign-up page. Following the last round of sign-ups, we are giving away more codes to players for all formats.

We have over 4,000 codes to give away. Everybody who signs up will be sent a link which, if accessed soon enough, will provide you with your code. Emails will be sent out after the sign-up process closes.

Konami pls

Don't release half-finished games to try to beat FIFA next year. You're not beating FIFA.

Guys, I think I've found the issue that causes the framedrops on the PS3. The licenced shirts. It seems they're somehow not compressed. I've tested this by playing several matches with and without licenced teams in the same stadium under the same circumstances. BIG DIFFERENCE! The graphics are also sharper when playing with unlicenced teams.

Much smoother when playing with unlicenced teams. Please test for yourself! I hope others witness the same difference.

Konami

stahp

dk_

• tackles are way more powerful, but also way more dangerous due to the ref AI: if the attacked player gets rid of the ball, the "auto-aim" of the tackle will net you a card almost 100%
  • shots often don't have the oomph when you're close to the goal, seems like they neutered shot speed significantly
  • defensive behaviour is way too efficient when automated, RT + A + LS and you're good 90% of the time. It's something FIFA got rid off and PES has struggled with this for a long time. The old A + X syndrome is back.
  • the worst case of "the CPU thinks this player has the ball, so the other player can't get to it even though it (looks) free" since Virtua Striker 2002 - you can't have the player's inputs disregarded like that in a footy sim, you just can't.

smh. It's frustrating, you can see the potential... in places ,but it's clearly not there. Squandered.

This man is 100% right. I really gave PES a chance this year and the animations are neat, but the rest feels like a beta version of a football game.

I just hope EA doesn't mess up the next-gen FIFA version.

Pachimari

We should tweet this post to Adam.

sohois

[*]the worst case of "the CPU thinks this player has the ball, so the other player can't get to it even though it (looks) free" since Virtua Striker 2002 - you can't have the player's inputs disregarded like that in a footy sim, you just can't.

With this point, it really seems like the game logic hasn't been updated to keep up with the new animation system, its like the game is not able to process the ball being lost even though the animations demonstrate that it has.

Really the whole game is basically just a tech demo, you can see from the huge lack of content that it was rushed to release - and not just to beat FIFA, it seems to me that the game was a good 6 months away from having most of the things you would expect a PES title to have. Even something like the Master League depth has just been stripped away when this is something which should not have to change just because there is a new engine, things like being able to hire different coaches or invest in the youth team should not change just because of new animations.

Jimrpg

I'm on the macbook pro retina and it doesnt have a dvd drive so I have to go digital - this is soooooo annoying! Doesn't Konami know that everything needs to be digital these days.....

also is this game missing some sort of german league? I know they don't have bundesliga but do they have a german league with madeup team names... the last PES i played in 2012 didn't have dortmund or any of the german teams except for bayern...

also what is master league like? same as its always been?

rvy

Banned
11 vs 11 Online Beta
Claim your key

I hope this thing doesn't suck monkey doo doo when I get home, Konami.

ref doesn't recognise clear handballs

And they never will, the team has said multiple times that they are not interested in including handballs because there's no proper way to implement it. In their opinion anyway.
FIFA has handballs and you can switch it on or off, but it's poorly implemented and you can exploit it. Or you could in FIFA 12, I don't know how it works now, I don't play that garbage game any longer.

also what is master league like? same as its always been?

You can coach your national team and switch clubs, but it's about the same.

We should tweet this post to Adam.

So, what are you waiting for? Send him a direct link to the post. If you don't want to, I can do it.

shoplifter

And they never will, the team has said multiple times that they are not interested in including handballs because there's no proper way to implement it. In their opinion anyway.

FIFA has handballs and you can switch it on or off, but it's poorly implemented and you can exploit it. Or you could in FIFA 12, I don't know how it works now, I don't play that garbage game any longer.

Good god, it was horrible in FIFA. I was getting a penalty on it almost every match. Turned that shit off and haven't looked back. I'll have to give it a shot tonight in 14 to see if it's improved or not.

On another note, I finally was able to spend some time with PES (pc) Sunday and Monday nights and after initially feeling a little lukewarm, it's growing on me. A lot.

Top Bottom