• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 |OT| The King Is Dead, Long Live The King!

rvy

Banned
Heh, I didn't accuse you of that or anything close to it, stop strawmanning. I commented/hinted to Adam and the threads he spawned a few months back and that was it.

You're entitled to having your opinion about the man and his work and I'm sure you have good reasons for it, I myself have been very critical of Konami's PR this year with long droughts, poor videos and wrong info being given out, but he did us a favor for no reason and I felt I should thank him for it.

I'm not saying you're accusing me of anything. I know you, you know me.

If anything I'm just explaining that Adam sent us copies not because he was trying to get good publicity but because he felt we worked hard on the threads and deserved it.

How does it help his reputation? He contacted me privately, it wasn't on his Twitter page for everyone to see his generosity. I'm not going around Evo-Web and WENB telling everyone how Adam is a great guy because he sent me a promo copy. Nobody knows who Adam Bhatti even is on NeoGAF, maybe a handful of people. I thanked him in this thread because it was a nice gesture and he went out of his way when he had no reason too.

I know who he is, he follows me on Twitter. He Used to run WENB blog and podcast from way back when it was a simple blogger site until a few months ago. Was at Ubisoft before Konami. I have disagreed with some of his comments in the past and at times the way he has spoke to people with a attitude but he knows his stuff, is passionate and definitely has his heart in the right place

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Last night I finally figured out how to do dribble moves consistently, I went through all of PES last year without figuring out the timing!

For the demo, go to the dribble training area and there you have a good chunk of time by yourself to practice dribble moves, before the timer dies just hit the restart challenge option to go again, helps a lot!

I realized the mistake (and main difference with FIFA) while dribbling is that you have to let go of the left stick in order to do the dribble. so basically tapt left analog, tap right analog, tap left analog and boom, dribble move comes out.

Lets say youre moving left. Move left, then let go of the left stick, then tap up on the right stick and then resume moving left with the left stick, youll guy will do the scissors dribble and move up after doing it.

Once that "clicks" its incredibly easy to do all other dribbles. It ended up feeling way easier than FIFA ever did.

parabolee

Only played about 6 games of the demo so far.

First issue, no "end to end" view? Or is that just the demo and the full game has all the views? I hate TV camera, I want to see from the perspective of someone playing not watching. PES13 had end to end!?

The presentation is still hideous. Menus are as appalling as ever. It's like playing a PS2 game!

Plays a good game though, much more fluid and less stiff and "robotic" as previous versions. Looks to be a serious contender this year. Bodes very well for a next gen PES 15!

Have to put a lot more hours to really know which game I prefer this year. Just wish this had a PS4 version so I could remote play to my Vita.

feel

iE7p6GLeWYNZQ.gif

#football

I really hope that Konami can set up an option where manual players with no assists on can play each other.

I hate when I go online and play against someone with all the assists on and I get destroyed by them. Knowing good and well if we were on a level playing field they wouldn't be able to link two passes together.

wumpy

Banned
i wonder if theyve fixed ppl disconnecting on you in pc version and the match being nullified as a no contest... i raged so many fucking times in 2013 when playing in cups/tourneys and not receiving a win when youre leading and mysteriously, a connection problem happens... and its obviously the other guy doing it... if not ill be playing on ps3, had a much better time in that regard

demo is pure sex, if they can speed it up a little for final release then it will be purely magical

PaulLFC

i wonder if theyve fixed ppl disconnecting on you in pc version and the match being nullified as a no contest... i raged so many fucking times in 2013 when playing in cups/tourneys and not receiving a win when youre leading and mysteriously, a connection problem happens... and its obviously the other guy doing it... if not ill be playing on ps3, had a much better time in that regard

demo is pure sex, if they can speed it up a little for final release then it will be purely magical
WENB ES are saying that the detection of people disconnecting is improved, so hopefully it'll be fixed properly.

As for the game speed, the final game has 5 settings from -2 to +2,so you can change it to whatever you want.

PaulLFC

This arrived this morning, nice surprise for the weekend!

Any questions just post them up and I'll answer them.

First impressions (haven't played a match yet, just looking through the menus) - edit mode is ridiculously in depth. Just for the leagues and cups, you can change:

- Name (obviously)
- Commentary name (so if you can find "Barclays Premier League" recorded somewhere you can import it as an MP3, etc)
- Entrance music for team walk outs (MP3)
- League/Cup logo (import an image or draw it yourself)
- Whether players wear the league emblem on their right shoulder, left, both or none
- How the standings are worked out for the league (good if you want a completely custom league you make yourself)
- How suspensions work (how many cards you need etc)
- Which ball to use
- Number of teams (only certain leagues)

So yeah, there's a lot to customise for option files here which is great. A couple of weeks after release we should have no problems with fake teams, let's put it that way.

First impressions (haven't played a match yet, just looking through the menus) - edit mode is ridiculously in depth. Just for the leagues and cups, you can change:

- Name (obviously)
- Commentary name (so if you can find "Barclays Premier League" recorded somewhere you can import it as an MP3, etc)
- Whether players wear the league emblem on their right shoulder, left, both or none
- How the standings are worked out for the league (good if you want a completely custom league you make yourself)
- Which ball to use

So yeah, there's a lot to customise for option files here which is great. A couple of weeks after release we should have no problems with fake teams, let's put it that way.

Impressions asap!

Is the input delay the same as the demo?

Is switching between players(R1) better on semi-auto, the demo had a glitch that freezes the player when switching.

Jarnet87

Played a game after downloading the demo. god dam that Rafael is hideous, he better get changed. I thought the demo ran a little slow. Think I am gonna wait it out for next gen FIFA. Just don't wanna spend the money for two football games right now. I'll probably grab this during the thanksgiving steam sale, or summer sale next year.

PaulLFC

Impressions asap!

Is the input delay the same as the demo?

Is switching between players(R1) better on semi-auto, the demo had a glitch that freezes the player when switching.
Both issues seem a lot better on the final game. I can do first time shots now, so they definitely improved the response time. Switching seemed okay to me - if the player you switch to is running in the same direction as you want him to go then he'll be moving a lot quicker than if he has to change direction, lose momentum etc.
What is the line up for Legia Warszawa? I wonder if it's up to date.
None of the line ups are fully up to date yet as it's pre release, Konami have said they're updating transfers though. For example Reina, Downing and Spearing were still at Liverpool.

Which brings me to a funny/weird bug - if you transfer out players, the game doesn't choose players of the same position to replace them in the starting line up - I transferred out Reina and Downing, and when I checked the formation screen - Agger was in goal, Mignolet was up front(?!) and Brad Jones was on the left wing. I think I need to edit the formation in Edit mode to fix it, sounds like that's something that needs patching though.

Played a game after downloading the demo. god dam that Rafael is hideous, he better get changed. I thought the demo ran a little slow. Think I am gonna wait it out for next gen FIFA. Just don't wanna spend the money for two football games right now. I'll probably grab this during the thanksgiving steam sale, or summer sale next year.
The full game has 5 speed settings (default is 0, it can go to -2 for slower or +2 for faster) so you might be able to customise it to play closer to the speed you want it.

Is there still a delay when pressing L triggers switch players?
Does the gameplan screen crawl when making a sub?
Can you make a day 1 OF for us mere plebs?
No delay from what I can tell on player switching.

Gameplan is fine if you use the d-pad to select players as it jumps straight between them. If you use the analog stick it goes slow because that's also how you re-position players formation wise.

I'm no good at editing :( so OF making I'll leave to the much more capable. From rvy's screenshot earlier in the thread it seems some of the OF makers have already got their copies and started work.

Leckan

- Name (obviously)
- Which ball to use

Are cut-scenes and goal-kicks still a slideshow? And replays at certain angles?

feel

Dunno what to ask about, so just tell us EVERYTHING Paul lol.

Ok are there less A.I. brainfart moments in general?

PaulLFC

Are cut-scenes and goal-kicks still a slideshow? And replays at certain angles?
I think they're better, but they're still slow. I think there's supposed to be a day 1 patch so hopefully that improves them.

Dunno what to ask about, so just tell us EVERYTHING Paul lol.

Ok are there less A.I. brainfart moments in general?
I haven't played enough to tell yet, I've only played a couple of games, the rest of the time I've been changing transfers round and things like that. I didn't notice anything stupid in the couple of games I have played though.

PaulLFC

Paul,

Can you scan or take pics of the controller layout? (Skill moves, basic controls etc)

Thanks.
Do you mean the command list? I don't think it's changed from the demo (just hit pause and choose command list), but I can still get photos of it if you need.

Edit: Going out now, so I'll answer any other questions when I'm back later tonight.

Read on wiki
J.League Division 1 and Division 2 (exclusive to Japanese version; will be available in a patch for foreign versions)

So will the J League be patched into other versions later on? (NA, EU, etc.)

Do you mean the command list? I don't think it's changed from the demo (just hit pause and choose command list), but I can still get photos of it if you need.

Edit: Going out now, so I'll answer any other questions when I'm back later tonight.

Yea I know about the command list. Just easier to reference if I can look at them on my tablet while playing.

Paul, could you also check if there is an option to use manual shooting only/no pass assistance for online play?

Thanks for answering all these questions.

Both issues seem a lot better on the final game. I can do first time shots now, so they definitely improved the response time. Switching seemed okay to me - if the player you switch to is running in the same direction as you want him to go then he'll be moving a lot quicker than if he has to change direction, lose momentum etc

Thank you for the response, seems good then.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
The stadium list is pretty disappointing... Do they usually release more as DLC?

Fifa fucked them over with licensing this year, stadium editor is also out.

Not a big deal for me, framerate issues are my biggest concern right now.

PaulLFC

Fifa fucked them over with licensing this year, stadium editor is also out.

Not a big deal for me, framerate issues are my biggest concern right now.
That was the deal that really pissed me off, it's just a shit move from EA. PES has the league licenced with all teams - I can't imagine the deal EA must have negotiated to get around it, and who over there thought it was a good idea and not just a petty gesture.

The sooner someone does something about these exclusivity deals the better, although that'll probably never happen.

Raging Spaniard

That was the deal that really pissed me off, it's just a shit move from EA. PES has the league licenced with all teams - I can't imagine the deal EA must have negotiated to get around it, and who over there thought it was a good idea and not just a petty gesture.

The sooner someone does something about these exclusivity deals the better, although that'll probably never happen.

Stadiums are property of the team, not the league ... Meaning that in theory if you make an exclusivity deal with the team, you get the stadium.

PaulLFC

Yea I know about the command list. Just easier to reference if I can look at them on my tablet while playing.
Ah right, sorry but there's too many to do screenshots of them really, to put it into perspective a bit someone made a Youtube video of the command list and it's 9 minutes long! Here's the video though if it helps.
Paul, could you also check if there is an option to use manual shooting only/no pass assistance for online play?

Thanks for answering all these questions.
It doesn't seem like the online servers are up at the moment, I'll check once they're working though. Apparently there will be more filtering options for online matches so manual should be one of those.
Stadiums are property of the team, not the league ... Meaning that in theory if you make an exclusivity deal with the team, you get the stadium.
Ah, didn't know that. Still seems a weird thing for EA to do, didn't both games have stadiums last year? Seems a bit spiteful but according to Adam it's only a 1 year deal, so hopefully they're back for 2015.

I have played the demo non stop along side GTA V and i have to say i am amazed and cannot wait for this game.

It is incredible and there is no other way to put it, this is taking me back to PS2 era.

I have been playing this game since N64 and this is the best version of this current gen hands down and i do not know why they skipped PS4 this year but it will be amazing when it is released on next gen.

Incredible game and scoring a goal feels incredibly rewarding.

PaulLFC

I have played the demo non stop along side GTA V and i have to say i am amazed and cannot wait for this game.

It is incredible and there is no other way to put it, this is taking me back to PS2 era.

I have been playing this game since N64 and this is the best version of this current gen hands down and i do not know why they skipped PS4 this year but it will be amazing when it is released on next gen.

Incredible game and scoring a goal feels incredibly rewarding.
They didn't have the resources to do two "proper" versions, overhauling the engine for current gen and making a proper next gen version that wasn't just a HD port. I can't wait for next year though, this engine is pushing the PS3 to its limits at times, I can't wait to see how good the lighting will look on next gen.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
They didn't have the resources to do two "proper" versions, overhauling the engine for current gen and making a proper next gen version that wasn't just a HD port. I can't wait for next year though

PC version next year hopefully will be based off of the next-gen version.

Juicy Bob

Having not bought any new games in 2013 so far due to acute lack of funds, I now have PES 2014, GTA5 and F1 2013 all coming out in the next few weeks.

I may have to cut my Christmas budget down considerably.

Top Bottom