• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiyomi

Help me GAF! I'm going through another one of my "should I buy a Vita now or wait?" moments.

Hey. I was in kind of a similar situation to you a couple of weeks back. I decided to cave when I saw Amazon doing a deal of the WiFi, Rayman and a 4gb card for £185 brand new. I thought that was pretty reasonable so I dropped the cash, but they're not doing that bundle right now unfortunately. Places like CeX sell used ones for £160-70, but I don't know the condition of them, and neither will you until you get it in your hands. You could ask in store, I guess.

I have no idea about Sony's price plans so I can't really comment on whether you should wait or not for a price drop.

It looks like you have a pretty good list of games you want there. Do you own a PSP, or did you just download 3rd Birthday/VC2 because you knew that at some point, you'd play them on a handheld? I would probably say if you already owned a PSP at some point and played it a fair bit, you might want to wait until you see a price you're happy with. If you didn't, and you have some more PSP games you'd like to play, I'd just jump and get a Vita. You're basically getting a PSP for free, and they're like, what, £50 now? That was a big attraction for me, at least, I considered it like getting a Vita for £130 ;)

If you don't handheld game a lot then you should get good life out of stuff like GR, UGA etc until P4G and Ragnarok come around.

As for memory cards, again, depends on what your PSP plans are, and on your digital/physical preferences. If you want to have a few PSP games on there, I'd recommend an 8 or 16gb card, just so you can have that flexibility, but if you're the type of gamer that only wants to play a couple of games at a time, a 4gb would actually be fine if your Vita games are all physical copies, and the only problem would be the hassle of removing a PSP title when you're finished with it and putting something else on. However if you're going to play more than say, 4 titles at a time, you should get an 8gb, probably.

It's a great little piece of tech and I love it, but yeah.. I wish there were more Vita titles. For now the PSP games are doing me fine.

Sol1dus

I would join in for sure, if asked. I think recording could be done in the following two ways:

1. One user with a Vita joins in but doesn't speak. Instead, he just records what is coming out of his headphone jack.
2. One user mixes the Vita headphone jack output with recording of his own voice with a microphone, and records that. Pretty sure that should work as I have a mixing table and a PC that I can record the output of that with.

Always wanted to do a podcast.

This would be pretty sick. Last nights chat was pretty hilarious. :p

Shahed

Do you own a PSP, or did you just download 3rd Birthday/VC2 because you knew that at some point, you'd play them on a handheld?

Yeah I own a PSP. Got the Crisis Core Bundle a while. I've played the majority of games I'd like on PSP.

But I haven't played many games since the Vita was announced. Once i heard that they'd be improved when played on Vita, I started buying games on PSN instead, even if the upgrade will be minimal (colour, loading). Got a decent library of PSP games built up. The two I mentioned plus Dissidia 012, the three Ys games and a few other's. Also yet to play some of the PS1 classics I bought recently for the same reasons. I'm probably gonna need a 16Gb card, although I'm considering a 32Gb.

I'd have to buy it new. I'm obsessive/paranoid with anything to do with hardware. I remember seeing the Vita for about £170 on Amazon a few months ago. Regret not getting it now! Maybe I'll have a look at Ebay to see if I can get a good deal.

Hopefully we'll get a lot opf announcements at Gamescom!

the device is worth the price they sell it for. Especially the regular deals we see it for on amazon. I often see it for about £179.99 with 4 gig card on there.

Depends how much you will kick your self is there is a price drop. I cant see it being much more than this tho. The price drop might even be something like the wifi model plus 4 gig card for 179.99 and it just happens amazon have been doing nice deals.

Since I got mine I have sold my xbox (actually sold it before I got it) and have barely touched my PC. Its just such a nice device to game on.

Ponn

Banned
the device is worth the price they sell it for. Especially the regular deals we see it for on amazon. I often see it for about £179.99 with 4 gig card on there.

Depends how much you will kick your self is there is a price drop. I cant see it being much more than this tho. The price drop might even be something like the wifi model plus 4 gig card for 179.99 and it just happens amazon have been doing nice deals.

Since I got mine I have sold my xbox (actually sold it before I got it) and have barely touched my PC. Its just such a nice device to game on.

I'm pretty close to doing this and going handheld only. My PS3 was fried during an electrical storm a month ago and I was going to wait and see how the super slim would be i'm debating even replacing it. I got just a regular bluray player from a friend that even has netflix on it but i'm already stretched for playtime between Vita and 3DS i'm really debating the need to repurchase a PS3.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I'm pretty close to doing this and going handheld only. My PS3 was fried during an electrical storm a month ago and I was going to wait and see how the super slim would be i'm debating even replacing it. I got just a regular bluray player from a friend that even has netflix on it but i'm already stretched for playtime between Vita and 3DS i'm really debating the need to repurchase a PS3.
I'd love to go handheld and PC only, and it's one of the reasons I welcome the PS3 to Vita ports, but the Vita still feels dependent on the PS3, and if nothing else, my PS3 is my dedicated Yakuza/Naughty Dog machine.

Do any of my Vita pals in here want to be a sport and send me a (slower, please) wall challenge for Motorstorm RC? :)

If you play Motorstorm RC and aren't my Vita friend yet but are willing to help, PSN ID is the same as my user name here on GAF.

Wondering if anyone can help me on this... Trying to get back into RPGs. Firstly:

Which game in the Ys series would you recommend as someone's first Ys game? It seems like it's a trade up between Ys Seven and Ys: Oath from what I've read.

I want to buy Persona 3, but I'm not sure if I should go with P3P on EU PSN. I'd love to play a game like this on my Vita, but I've heard a lot of the cutscenes, etc have been removed. It seems as though you can get the FES version from the US PSN for $10 (it's £23 on EU PSN), but I don't feel confident about being able to 'own' that version in the future, given how Sony has dealt with multiple accounts on the Vita. I feel that if P3P is on my main account, I at least have a chance? I dunno...

Help me GAF! I'm going through another one of my "should I buy a Vita now or wait?" moments.

Thing is though, while I do enjoy handhelds, I'm primarily a console gamer, and there are plenty of games out now (or releasing soon) that I'm gonna want to play. I generally do my handheld gaming after catching up on my console gaming. So it kinda makes sense to carry on playing on my consoles for now and wait for a good bundle to come out.

Just saying but current deals are probably at the level of price after the price cut. Recomended price was 220 pounds ?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I would join in for sure, if asked. I think recording could be done in the following two ways:

1. One user with a Vita joins in but doesn't speak. Instead, he just records what is coming out of his headphone jack.
2. One user mixes the Vita headphone jack output with recording of his own voice with a microphone, and records that. Pretty sure that should work as I have a mixing table and a PC that I can record the output of that with.

Always wanted to do a podcast.
If somebody were actually able to get this to work, I'd be down for this. Although I'm not sure why anybody outside of Vita-GAF would listen.

The funny thing is is that since Skype is on the Vita, that would provide a much easier way for one person to record a conversation lol
But that would be betraying the Vita!

A bit late with this but I added:

MaximusPrimus
LamerDeluxe
Rezae
Reluctant-Hero

:)
Me too? :( I'm domify.

Wondering if anyone can help me on this... Trying to get back into RPGs. Firstly:

Which game in the Ys series would you recommend as someone's first Ys game? It seems like it's a trade up between Ys Seven and Ys: Oath from what I've read.
I really don't like Ys Seven, so I'd have to go for Oath. If nothing else, I think it introduces the characters better, and it's the best jumping on point to the series, short of actually playing Ys I & II. I don't think Seven provides as decent of a introduction, but XSEED did decide to bring it out first, so it was the jumping on point for many in the US. You can't really go wrong with either, but if Ys Seven was the first Ys game I played, I wouldn't have continued with the series.

I want to buy Persona 3, but I'm not sure if I should go with P3P on EU PSN. I'd love to play a game like this on my Vita, but I've heard a lot of the cutscenes, etc have been removed. It seems as though you can get the FES version from the US PSN for $10 (it's £23 on EU PSN), but I don't feel confident about being able to 'own' that version in the future, given how Sony has dealt with multiple accounts on the Vita. I feel that if P3P is on my main account, I at least have a chance? I dunno...

FES is superior version

But long games like jrpg work better on handeld.

So ask yourself if you are more likely to finish 100+ hours game on PS3 or on PSV.

I wouldn't care about owning it at all - at 10$ per 100 hours you will get back your money worth anyway :D

spats

I'd go with Ys 7. One of my favourite RPG's ever.

One downside to that is that it's pretty hard to go back to the older ones after it. Starting up Oath in Felghana after 7 was almost painful.

oldmario

If anyones interested the EU psn store has a sale on atm, think these last till saturday then change, i think all rockstar psp games are £3.99-3.19, stuff like half minute hero for, ton of disney games and some more i cant remember

spats

If anyones interested the EU psn store has a sale on atm, think these last till saturday then change, i think all rockstar psp games are £3.99-3.19, stuff like half minute hero for, ton of disney games and some more i cant remember

Yeah, there's a lot of great stuff on sale. Maybe SCEE read all my complaints.

EU PSN sale: the "relevant to Vita" edition. All of the below are PSP games, so they should also show up in the PSP PSN store.
Manhunt 2 £3.19
Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition £3.19
Midnight Club LA Remix £3.19
Beaterator £3.19
The Warriors £3.19
GTA Chinatown Wars £3.99
GTA Liberty City Stories £3.99
GTA Vice City Stories £3.99
Half Minute Hero £4.25 (PSN+ £4.04)
Innocent Life £3.69 (PSN+ £3.32)
Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley £5.49 (PSN+ £4.94)
Valhalla Knights £3.19 (PSN+ £2.87)
Valhalla Knights 2 £3.99 (PSN+ £3.59)
Valhalla Knights 2 BS £5.19 (PSN+ £4.67)
Blazing Souls Accelate £9.99 (PSN+ £8.49)
Cars £3.99
Toy Story 3 £3.99
Cars Race O Rama £3.99
Cars + Toy Story 3 pack £6.49

Amory

Man the white Vita is really nice looking...has it been announced if it's only going to be available as part of the AC bundle or if it'll be out solo as well? I mean it has to be eventually I'd imagine.

fernoca

Plenty of MK's @ Gamestop!! Grabbed one for $10!! Woot!
Yep. Jumped on this too. :)
Unlike last time, this one lasts more than a day (until August 7).
So, those on the fence or just waiting to get a few extra bucks still have some time.

Foshy

Has anyone with some experience in making music in Cubase/Ableton/FL tried Beaterator? I do some stuff in Cubase and would like to have some software on Vita, even if it's simple. If it's not complete shit, I'd get it for that price.

For the record, I've spent around 30 hours in WarioWare DIY's extremely limited music maker, lol

Kureizu

Great. Sound Shapes got delayed a week in EU for whatever reason.

Guess i'll buy it with my US account but switching accounts on the Vita is fucking annoying.

Sol1dus

For the Vita Roundtable, we should get some frequently asked questions and discuss some games we've played. PSP & Vita. As well as discuss the features most people don't know about.

Zen

Banned
Just so everyone knows Resistance Retribution MULTIPLAYER does work on the Vita. Maybe they meant 'ad hoc' doesn't work on the Vita? Either way I dl'd it from the vita store and I'm playing right now.

Now I already own the game from my PSPgo but I doubt that's a loophole.

Vossler

Hey guys, just jumped on the VITA bandwagon in a big way. Bought myself a wifi VITA, 32gb card, gravity rush, MGS HD, Unit 13, Uncharted, and Shinobido.

Question though, and I should know this, but are PS1 classics available to play? I have a feeling that Vagrant Story will look awesome on this thing.....Thanks!

spannicus

Don't think I saw any of the usual news outlets reporting this yet.

Brand new info on Soul Sacrifice. New enemies, weapons and more. This game looks so so amazing. If someone wants to make a thread please go ahead. I think this is thread worthy material

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201208/02018907.html

I'm most definately getting SS this winter not gonna wait for English version at all. The game could use a little more color saturation though.

Cornbread78

Plenty of MK's @ Gamestop!! Grabbed one for $10!! Woot!

Yup, I just got back from grabbing my copy! $9.99, such a sweet deal. I have to stop buying games. I also bought Gravity Rush last night.....

Don't think I saw any of the usual news outlets reporting this yet.

Brand new info on Soul Sacrifice. New enemies, weapons and more. This game looks so so amazing. If someone wants to make a thread please go ahead. I think this is thread worthy material

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201208/02018907.html

I guess I will, I don't see anything.....

Anyone who just bought MK, feel free to add me.

GAF name is my PSN name.

Also have: UMvC3, Motorstorm, WipEout 2048/HD/Fury, Super Stardust Delta

Speaking of Motorstorm, someone please send me a wall challenge so I can do the whole wall brawl trophy, please?

Hey guys, just jumped on the VITA bandwagon in a big way. Bought myself a wifi VITA, 32gb card, gravity rush, MGS HD, Unit 13, Uncharted, and Shinobido.

Question though, and I should know this, but are PS1 classics available to play? I have a feeling that Vagrant Story will look awesome on this thing.....Thanks!

Not yet. Rumoured to be soonish, like maybe 2 weeks @ gamescom (should be in the next FW update). It's not clear now if it's going to be trickle out or widespread day one support for most titles (rumours say the latter, I believe).

spannicus

Support for PSone is rumored to release during Gamescom this month. Can I has your 32gb card?

magawolaz

It's coming on the 15th now. I guess there is no reason to not buy it via US store. It's just annoying for me to switch accounts on the vita just to play one game.
I have this feeling that they are delaying EU Vita games because this months there's nothing coming out for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom