• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
i've got so many PSX games i need to play & replay. PSX BC is the killer app.
Yep. It was one of my favorite things about the PSP, and it'll be one of my favorite things about the Vita.

I'd like to replay Suikoden and go through it with a guide, and I still have Vagrant Story, Klonoa, FF8, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Breath of Fire IV, and other games I can't even remember to play.

Sol1dus

Sony's communication with its consumers is total s***. I would've expected for them to clean up their act after they let our information get in the hands of hackers, yet kept their mouths shut for a whole month. And this bs about them being a Japanese country with different tactics, nonsense. When smart phones start to integrate true gaming controls, creative destruction will take care of Sony if they don't push to define the handheld market like Nintendo has.

Sorry for the rant. Won't do it again. Until they make me angry once more. :p

I'll never understand why ps1 classics are so important

Because there's a whole library of games that many people (especially the younger generation) haven't played. Plus, they're priced really well. Getting a whole game for $5 or $10 is a great deal. Not to mention the file size. Many PSone games are only a couple of hundred megabytes, so you can fill your card up with a good deal of them.

KalBalboa

Banned

A lot of people have purchased them on their PS3s. Having them retroactively work on their Vitas would suddenly double, if not triple, the playtime some people spend on their Vitas.

Plus, some of those games are just so damn good. Coming from a PSP owner, PSone games looked great on the smaller screen when compared to my 40".

Mileena

Banned
got mortal kombat last friday. wow... every fighter needs single player content this good. At the very least a story mode this awesome. Loving this game so far. I will play it online at somepoint but I still have the story mode to finish yet and then there is all the tower stuff and arcade mode.

Only time the graphics look dodgey is the close ups before the fight starts which Is fine by me. While actually playing and the cut scenes they look great.

Whats the online like? not full of quitters like UMvC3 is it? This thing is actually making me get back into fighters again which I havnt been into for like 6-7 years.
Online is filled with rage quitters, scrubs and laggers. It may not be worth trying this late into the game, last time I tried I couldn't even find a match.

Trigger

I wish PSP and PSOne games would have trophies too. I look like a scrub since I haven't played too many PS3 or Vita games.

Any way to buy PSOne classics off Vita?

Apparently the R-Type games are being pulled off the store with tomorrow's update; I tried Media Go, but I can't find them.

R-type Delta is in media go I just checked. It just doesn't come up via the search function. You have to go to the main store page then go to the PS1 classics section by alphabet and its in there.

Let me try again.
When I went to PSOne Classics and selected N-Z or whatever, it told me no games found.

They are important because there are a lot of games that I'd love to replay, that I haven't played in over a decade...a lot of games that captured my amazement after the 8bit/16bit glory of my childhood. I want to replay the original Gran Turismo, Crash, Spyro, RE, Medevil, Tomb Raider, Tony Hawk, Cool Boarders, MGS, etc.
My (and many others) first experiences with those and many other series' beginnings was during the 90's on PS1.

Edit: people who are really well versed in Twitter: Spam Yoshida! Endlessly! He must know we all still want PS1

Let me try again.
When I went to PSOne Classics and selected N-Z or whatever, it told me no games found.

Here's a screen of what I'm seeing. Its right above Ridge Racer type 4

ZeizU.jpg

I've been wanting to pick up a Vita since launch to play Golden Abyss and Lumines, however I already had about $200 of trade credit at my local mom n' pop game store so I've been waiting for someone to trade one in. Someone did trade one about 3 months ago, but there are some faint scratches on the screen so I balked. I went in this past Saturday and the same unit (the only Vita anything in the store) was still there. According to the clerk, nobody wants it and they can't get rid of it. Well, I got sick of waiting for a decent one and just went to Target to buy a new one since it came with Golden Abyss and the official screen protectors. Since GA is about $50 I figured it was going to be the closest I will get to a price cut without waiting awhile. I then used some Best Buy RewardZone certs to buy a 32GB card for it at BB.

I've been playing with it since then and here are some thoughts. I have rather large hands, and I am also a "gripper". I cannot use portables/controllers by handling them with my fingertips despite trying. It's just not comfortable. I have 2 problems with the Vita's form-factor:

1) The rounded ends that stick out on the sides dig into my palms. This becomes uncomfortable after about an hour. Even if I try to hold the system with my fingertips, the reliance on touch in the interface means that I can't reach it without moving my hand closer in anyway. I had the same comfort issue with the PSP-1000, but that was even worse because it had little switches built into the sides. The Vita is thankfully smooth. I saw that there were already some grip attachments at Best Buy, I might check those out. I just wish the ends were flattened or something.

2) While I love the presence of dual analog sticks, I really wish they were bigger or stuck out more. I am sure this will get better with time, but I really had a hard time aiming in GA with the tiny sticks, where it's not a problem with the PS3 pad. The thing is already not pocketable (IMO) so I don't know why they couldn't have put larger sticks on there. Regardless, Are there solutions for this?

Something else that I am curious about is the screen. The OLED screen has very good black-levels and vibrant colors, however, I find that mine has a hard time with gray (like in the backgrounds of the PSP system messages, etc.) It reminds me of plasma in the sense if you look closely, you will see a lot of "colored" noise in the gray (greens or pinks). It's not smooth like an LCD would be. Adjusting the brightness with one of these gray dialog boxes onscreen causes the colors in the gray to shift around. In fact, I don't find the brightness control to really affect the brightness all that much at all, it mainly seems to adjust the color tones. There are a few spots on the brightness slider that make the gray look more "pure" so that's what I've been keeping it on. Is this a defect with my unit or are they all like this? I've never had an OLED device before so this might be endemic to the technology like the aforementioned plasma.

Here's a screen of what I'm seeing. Its right above Ridge Racer type 4

ZeizU.jpg

I got it now -- thanks for the heads up; apparently when I was clicking on the n-z titles, it wasn't refreshing. When I tried signing in afterwards, it refreshed and I was able to add both to my cart and check out.

Thanks!

Now to wait for PSOne support and hope they live up to their billings.

Rezae

1) The rounded ends that stick out on the sides dig into my palms. This becomes uncomfortable after about an hour. Even if I try to hold the system with my fingertips, the reliance on touch in the interface means that I can't reach it without moving my hand closer in anyway. I had the same comfort issue with the PSP-1000, but that was even worse because it had little switches built into the sides. The Vita is thankfully smooth. I saw that there were already some grip attachments at Best Buy, I might check those out. I just wish the ends were flattened or something.

Nyko Power Grip

I tried the PDP grip and it just made my hands cramp in different places. Highly recommend the Nyko one. It's similar to a CTA grip listed on Amazon for about $12 I think, but the Nyko has a built in charger that pretty much doubles the battery life of the Vita. Picked mine up at Gamestop. I've had some marathon sessions on the Vita and not one hand cramp or bit of discomfort with the Nyko grip.

arimanius

Oh screw it. I've been waiting for a sale to buy MGS: HD but I can't wait anymore!

Now watch, there will be a sale on it tomorrow . Lol

Edit: ahhh forgot how long the intro for MGS2 was. Still awesome and the vita screen still blows me away.

Famassu

I hope you're right. I wouldn't mind a socom collection since I always wanted to try the tactical one but never got around to it
And you can't buy those NOW because? I don't see them ever bringing any PSP collections to Vita, especially games that are already cheap through PSN. I could see Square Enix releasing something like Type-0 or Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep slightly upgraded for Vita, or Falcom coming up with Sora No Kiseki's Vita versions.

Raoh

I didn't get an answer but from further web searches, is it fair to say that the Nyko Speaker Stand is my best option for a cradle?

PSVita_SpeakerStand_product_new3.jpg

So far the main drawbacks are:

No display for the volume which also disables the ps vita volume controls, must use the buttons on the cradle or keychain controller.

Line in but no line out? WTF?

Outside of that, is this by best cradle option? The official one is just a stand no other functions.

Raoh

I wish I had the same experience. Do you have the auto refresh feature for Near and the LiveAreas turned off?

I have whatever the default is. I've used Near like once

do you play psp games and then just pause and walk away?

I don't think psp games support a proper ps vita sleep/stand by function.

I left monster hunter freedom unite paused one day and heard music in the background after a few hours and an almost dried up battery.

longer battery life and sleep mode with official ps vita games.

zroid

Banned
I didn't get an answer but from further web searches, is it fair to say that the Nyko Speaker Stand is my best option for a cradle?

PSVita_SpeakerStand_product_new3.jpg

So far the main drawbacks are:

No display for the volume which also disables the ps vita volume controls, must use the buttons on the cradle or keychain controller.

Line in but no line out? WTF?

Outside of that, is this by best cradle option? The official one is just a stand no other functions.

whoa. that looks expensive.

do you play psp games and then just pause and walk away?

I don't think psp games support a proper ps vita sleep/stand by function.

I left monster hunter freedom unite paused one day and heard music in the background after a few hours and an almost dried up battery.

longer battery life and sleep mode with official ps vita games.

I do play PSP games but I always pause it (via the home screen button) and put it in sleep mode.
I'm going to do a test bh turning off automatic refresh for Near and LiveArea to see what happens.

Picked up a Vita on the weekend. Loving it so far. Here are some impressions:

Got MK with it, I wasn't really impressed by the graphics, it looks kinda washed out close up, but just seeing the game in 60 fps is awe inspiring.

Downloaded some demos on PSN and ended up buying Dynasty Warriors Next. Haven't played a DW game seriously since DW3 and the game looks so damn good. Sure it has pop-in and cruddy textures up the wazoo but dem character models are fantastic and the presentation is top notch. I really didn't expect a quality product before downloading the demo but they really went balls out with this game, it's great. Utilizes the touch and motion controls in fun ways. Highly recommended.

Played the Demo for Rayman and that game looks unbelievable on the Vita screen. It's gorgeous. I'll probably pick that up down the road.

Played the Demo for WipEout and was really impressed with that. It's locked 30 fps I guess? But I really forgot about that after a few seconds, it's slick and fun. I'll get that eventually too.

Played the Demo for Gravity Rush and that looks great as well. The combat and gravity shifting mechanic is fun. My only question regarding this one is if it has any replay value? Does the combat get more complex? Seems like a good purchase all the same though some day

I downloaded Half Minute Hero, which I already own, to see what it looks like on the Vita screen, and it looks good. You can see the pixels or whatever though since the image is stretched out I guess. Is this the case for 3D psp games as well? Does any smoothing or anything get applied to PSP games on the Vita? I noticed the load times in HMH were way faster.

One thing I didn't expect though is how light the system is, it feels cheap. Which it certainly is not. It feels like the thing could be half the size it is in depth and retain all the features. Also I don't know if I'm really feeling the dual analogs. I tried the demo for Super Stardust and it feels really loose. The PSP nub was way too resistive, and it looks like they went too hard in the other direction for these sticks. It'll be interesting to play CoD when it comes out.

The PSN store on the Vita looks fantastic. It's really slick and well designed. Perfect touch interface.

Can't wait for Ragnarok Odyssey and Persona 4! This isn't a slam on the 3DS, but I think I might sell mine after getting a Vita. Seems like Sony is providing the experience I want more than Nintendo at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom