• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasec

Are these games any good ? Never played any of them.

well i played them on the xbox and i liked them. Kinda different of what you migh expect but i guess the best you can do is go watch some reviews of them.
and let's hope when they come out on the vita there's demo of them.

branny

Got MK with it, I wasn't really impressed by the graphics, it looks kinda washed out close up, but just seeing the game in 60 fps is awe inspiring.
I felt the same way with UMvC3, except the character models in that game are actually on par with the ones in the console version. :p

Played the Demo for Rayman and that game looks unbelievable on the Vita screen. It's gorgeous. I'll probably pick that up down the road.
You should. It's one of the best platformers available on the system (and on the HD twins, as well).

Played the Demo for Gravity Rush and that looks great as well. The combat and gravity shifting mechanic is fun. My only question regarding this one is if it has any replay value? Does the combat get more complex? Seems like a good purchase all the same though some day
There technically is replay value in the form of repeating missions for better scores or times, but it's not implemented too well because retrying missions involves sitting through unfortunate load times. The combat does get more complex but in the sense that it becomes broader, not deeper. By the end of the game, you'll be managing enemies 360 degrees around you and have a modest variety of techniques at your disposal; just don't expect a character action game in terms of button combinations and stuff. It's still a very unique game that warrants attention, so I suggest keeping it in mind for the future if you're not totally sold on it right now.

I downloaded Half Minute Hero, which I already own, to see what it looks like on the Vita screen, and it looks good. You can see the pixels or whatever though since the image is stretched out I guess. Is this the case for 3D psp games as well? Does any smoothing or anything get applied to PSP games on the Vita? I noticed the load times in HMH were way faster.
Digital versions of PSP games generally load quite a bit faster than their UMD counterparts, though I'm not sure the Vita can load them any faster than a PSP could. Also, every PSP game I've tried looks better on a Vita, but that's mostly due to the screen and not any sort of additional processing.

Also I don't know if I'm really feeling the dual analogs. I tried the demo for Super Stardust and it feels really loose. The PSP nub was way too resistive, and it looks like they went too hard in the other direction for these sticks. It'll be interesting to play CoD when it comes out.
They definitely take a while to get used to. I've grown to like them and vastly prefer them to the PSP nub and circle pad at this point.

The PSN store on the Vita looks fantastic. It's really slick and well designed. Perfect touch interface.
It has some quirks, like, sometimes, the sliding interface won't load content properly. I think it could be better, but it's nice to hear that you're enjoying it. Congrats on your purchase!

I'm loving my Vita. watching the new kingdom Hearts 3DS Quick look on it. looks amazing...

I've got questions for the games I got:

Wipeout 2048 - It is really hard to react in this game, I've got the configuration set up to Racer with moderate Pilot assistance. I'm pretty sure that I should go to wipeout configuration with assists off and get good at using the airbrakes, but i can barely react as it is, argh! Would you agree that I should play it like this?

Mutant Blobs Attack: Is there a way to get gold on that damn Frat Party level. Holy shit that last section is so hard to get through let alone having to worry about collecting bubbles. UGH! any tips everyone?

I love this system though, everyone should buy one.

Big-E

I am on again/off again in getting a Vita. The negative talk about has hurt my perception a little to be honest but I still am thinking of getting one. Do we know when PS1 games are available? I am thinking it would be worth it to have a PS1, PSP and Vita machine to play while the wife watches tv.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
I am on again/off again in getting a Vita. The negative talk about has hurt my perception a little to be honest but I still am thinking of getting one. Do we know when PS1 games are available? I am thinking it would be worth it to have a PS1, PSP and Vita machine to play while the wife watches tv.

You can't play PSOne games on it yet.

edit: my bad, I thought I read "what" instead of "when". To answer the question... we don't have a specific day yet. Rumors say it launches at Gamescom next week.

I mean the hardware is friggin phenomenal. But man....I've purchased all the games I'm going to at this point...save for Virtual Tennis. Still no PSONE Classics. And I'm just waiting for more games to be honest.

zroid

Banned

If you get a good deal or can afford it, just do it. I'm definitely no Vita apologist, anyone in this thread can tell you that, but it's a pretty great device. Most of the negativity is derived from ignorance.

I think by the end of 2012, it will probably have enough games to justify a purchase to someone of nearly any taste.

And PS1 support should come very soon.

Sol1dus

Anyone that is considering a Vita and isn't too finicky about used products should regularly check Craigslist and Amazon Warehouse Deals.

My Vita was second hand, but it was so new when I first laid hands on it that I forgot that it was adopted almost immediately. And it didn't hurt that I got a game, a case and a memory card with it for less than the asking price of a wi-fi unit.

SharkJAW

I'm loving my Vita. watching the new kingdom Hearts 3DS Quick look on it. looks amazing...

Wipeout 2048 - It is really hard to react in this game, I've got the configuration set up to Racer with moderate Pilot assistance. I'm pretty sure that I should go to wipeout configuration with assists off and get good at using the airbrakes, but i can barely react as it is, argh! Would you agree that I should play it like this?

I personally found Wipeout, with no assist, to be the best configuration. The thing with the airbrakes, though, is learning how to time your turns. Sometimes, you have to tap the airbrake before you actually get into the turn on the track. Just playing zone or repeatedly racing tracks gives you a better feel for how and when you should react in regards to using airbrakes. Also, another tip: double tapping L or R (in Wipeout config) allows for side shifts, which is good for last second adjustments to a turn so you don't just go scratching into a wall.

Trigger

You can't play PSOne games on it yet.

edit: my bad, I thought I read "what" instead of "when". To answer the question... we don't have a specific day yet. Rumors say it launches at Gamescom next week.

God help me if I have to repurchase any games. I've been waiting for this.

Beast780

I had a lot of fun with Munchs Odyssey, however, I got it with my launch Xbox 11 years ago and havent played it since. I can't tell you all how well it's aged. Strangers Wrath was and still is a great game and easily worth the $15 they are likely to charge for it, you all need to pick that one up without hesitation!

Edit: I got a strange feeling Zen Pinball 2 is going to drop on the 14th... I hope I'm right!

B.K.

Is there any chance that Sony will announce larger memory cards any time soon? I want to get a 32GB card, but I'm afraid that as soon as I do, they'll announce 64GB. I'd like to have 64GB. 32 will fill up fast with PSP games and PS1 games, when firmware 1.80 is released.

Big-E

Is a 16 gb card doable if you are ok with swapping games in and out or is that simply a nono? Can you get buy with the 8 or is that just one game?

Mzo

Honestly there isn't some killer app that will make you want tO buy a Vita, no questions asked, but once you have it there definitely is no shortage of stuff to play or do. Getting over that ownage hump is a bit steep at the price, but the system looks and feels so good I was in day one.

Oh! Yeah, that gold medal was definitely tricky. It takes some practice but you'll get it! Don't give up and remember you can die as many times as you want and it won't affect the gold. All that matters is the score. And collect your blob friends again even though you may have found them already because they are 1,000 points each.

Yeah, just get up to the end sequence and continually replay it until you get the gold medal. Make sure you get all the bubbles that are underneath all the test tubes at the end. They're what ultimately separated me from the gold medal.

OmegaZero

VjgSq.jpg

Three.
Bosses.
At.
Once.

FUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Do yourself a favor and deactivate those assists, maybe it´s hard at first, but really worth it, wipeout configuration all the way.

You just need practice, that´s all.

Three.
Bosses.
At.
Once.

FUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Whoa, what mission number is this?

TheBear

Do you guys think a 12 month sub for PS+ would be worthwhile? I already have PS+ on my aussie account so I would really only be getting it for my US PSN account which is tied to my Vita. So essentially PS+ just for Vita stuff

Kafel

Banned
Do you guys think a 12 month sub for PS+ would be worthwhile? I already have PS+ on my aussie account so I would really only be getting it for my US PSN account which is tied to my Vita. So essentially PS+ just for Vita stuff

There's nothing really tied to PS+ for Vita now.

Diebuster

Save your money. Aside from a rare discount here and there, SCEA hasn't really done anything with the Vita.

I have both a US and EU, use US mainly for free PS3 stuff.

wouwie

I finished Puddle last night and this game was a really nice surprise for me. Gameplay wise, i had a lot of fun playing it and it kept offering enough variation until the very end to remain fresh and fun. I never felt any frustration playing even when i had to redo levels. I used the L+R control method and that worked out well. I might even replay some levels to improve my score.

It has nice music and sound, a simple and easy to use menu and user interface and fast loading times. The only thing that i felt a bit lacking was the art direction and visuals which went from very nice (the
e.g. pencil/paper level, the garden levels and the last level
) to not that nice in some cases. Felt a bit inconsistent and i feel more people would probably have taken notice of this game with a more pronounced art direction/visuals.

Definately worth buying if you enjoyed the demo and one of my favourite Vita games so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom