• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowler

so I just picked up MK.

60 fps great....

Here is my issue, Story mode cut scenes, do they have horizontal lines in the cgi? I can see them, but I can't see them anywhere else, and its highly annoying.

Also my left and right triggers now click? wtf.

I've been wanting to pick up a Vita since launch to play Golden Abyss and Lumines, however I already had about $200 of trade credit at my local mom n' pop game store so I've been waiting for someone to trade one in. Someone did trade one about 3 months ago, but there are some faint scratches on the screen so I balked. I went in this past Saturday and the same unit (the only Vita anything in the store) was still there. According to the clerk, nobody wants it and they can't get rid of it. Well, I got sick of waiting for a decent one and just went to Target to buy a new one since it came with Golden Abyss and the official screen protectors. Since GA is about $50 I figured it was going to be the closest I will get to a price cut without waiting awhile. I then used some Best Buy RewardZone certs to buy a 32GB card for it at BB.

I've been playing with it since then and here are some thoughts. I have rather large hands, and I am also a "gripper". I cannot use portables/controllers by handling them with my fingertips despite trying. It's just not comfortable. I have 2 problems with the Vita's form-factor:

1) The rounded ends that stick out on the sides dig into my palms. This becomes uncomfortable after about an hour. Even if I try to hold the system with my fingertips, the reliance on touch in the interface means that I can't reach it without moving my hand closer in anyway. I had the same comfort issue with the PSP-1000, but that was even worse because it had little switches built into the sides. The Vita is thankfully smooth. I saw that there were already some grip attachments at Best Buy, I might check those out. I just wish the ends were flattened or something.

I find the system a lot more comfy to hold with the PDP trigger grips attached. I can play for hours without issue. Without them my wrists would get a bit sore after about an hour or so.

2) While I love the presence of dual analog sticks, I really wish they were bigger or stuck out more. I am sure this will get better with time, but I really had a hard time aiming in GA with the tiny sticks, where it's not a problem with the PS3 pad. The thing is already not pocketable (IMO) so I don't know why they couldn't have put larger sticks on there. Regardless, Are there solutions for this?

This is uncharteds problem not the sticks. They basically gimped the sticks aiming on that game to get you to use the gyro (which works really well in conjunction with the sticks really). Play unit 13 or resistance and you get a much better feel for how the sticks work for aiming. After playing those 2 I find them really comfy to use.

Something else that I am curious about is the screen. The OLED screen has very good black-levels and vibrant colors, however, I find that mine has a hard time with gray (like in the backgrounds of the PSP system messages, etc.) It reminds me of plasma in the sense if you look closely, you will see a lot of "colored" noise in the gray (greens or pinks). It's not smooth like an LCD would be. Adjusting the brightness with one of these gray dialog boxes onscreen causes the colors in the gray to shift around. In fact, I don't find the brightness control to really affect the brightness all that much at all, it mainly seems to adjust the color tones. There are a few spots on the brightness slider that make the gray look more "pure" so that's what I've been keeping it on. Is this a defect with my unit or are they all like this? I've never had an OLED device before so this might be endemic to the technology like the aforementioned plasma.

I havn't really noticed this my self but then I havn't been looking for it either. There looks to be some slight colour noise on the white areas on wipeout which might be a similar thing.

Rasec

So any impressions on sound shapes impressions from American Vita gaf people? xP

Being in Europe means i have to wait until tomorrow afternoon (16:30 GMT usually) when SCEE updates the store which kinda sucks because I'm not at home.

Well, I'm with my girlfriend so afternoon is well spent. xP

Tratorn

So any impressions on sound shapes impressions from American Vita gaf people? xP

Being in Europe means i have to wait until tomorrow afternoon (16:30 GMT usually) when SCEE updates the store which kinda sucks because I'm not at home.

Well, I'm with my girlfriend so afternoon is well spent. xP

No, you'll have to wait 1 more week. :(
In europe the game will be released at the 15th.

It's out tomorrow right? Not exactly a long wait, a day later :p

See above. :/

Rasec

Now i'm a sad, sad boy. T_____T
don't tell now sony got on their head making psn games for the vita come one week later for europe.

Puddle already came one week later.
So i guess tomorrow is another dry week in releases.
If only birth by sleep and valkyria chronicles would get release on the vita store sometime i would be very happy.

Kinda sad being in my summer vacation and only new thing is puddle.
Guess i'll go play some more ninja gaiden and mgs hd so i don't have to rely too much on ipad gaming to spend my free time

kiyomi

Oh :|

Didn't realise that, the original date was the 8th, guess I haven't kept up with at all. That's disappointing. But thanks for the info.

@ Rasec, yeah I want some KH too. Never got to play the PS2/PSP versions.
Don't care for Valkyria, I'm in in the 0.00001% minority that didn't enjoy the first one.

I'm itching to play the original MGS, too, I so want the PS1 support to come so I can blast through it then play the HDs on my Vita. :(

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the Nyko power grip. I have another question:

What is the best hard case for the Vita? Are there a couple models that everyone has agreed on by this point? Since it's not a clamshell I will need to invest in some kind of case to protect the screen and sticks.

When is PSN usually updated? I'm out of town tomorrow, and I needs to have my sound shapes with me!

In the US it's usually around 5 CST these days, but it can be give or take an hour or two. It used to be whenever the fuck they felt like it, but it's a little more consistent lately.

oldmario

EU PSN sale update
PS1

Metal Gear Solid
Was – €9.99/£7.99 Now – €4.99/£3.99
PS Vita

A-men
Was – €14.99/£11.99 Now – €9.99/£7.99
Additional 20% off for Plus members

StarDrone Extreme
Was – €3.99/£3.19 Now – €2.49/£1.99
PS Vita + PS3 Bundle

StarDrone Bundle
Was – €4.99/£3.99 Now – €3.59/£2.99

looks like ill finally be picking up mgs for when ps1 hits vita and maybe stardrone, anyone knows what stardrone is like?

Source

krpiper

No Sound Shapes at 930 CSD, however when I went and looked I saw they have chinatown wars. When did that get put up on the store?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Dunno, don't think I've ever seen it on shelves here.

after seaching some threads apparently the series did like 1 million (before the release of the third game).

From Barcelona Gamelab 2011 keynote.
They also mentioned that Invizimals IP sold more than 1 million copies, and that Invizimals : Shadow Zone outsold the original Invizimals. Mainly in Europe, and like 25% in Spain + Portugal.

so not that hot and not invisible I guess.

Anyway Vita need it's Pokemon/Digimon(or Skylanders) clone and they need to change Invizimals(move on from AR battle crap) to be the alternative solution for Vita owners.

spats

EU PSN sale update

looks like ill finally be picking up mgs for when ps1 hits vita and maybe stardrone, anyone knows what stardrone is like?

Source

Stardrone is a bit meh. The core mechanic is fun, but the game gets frustrating pretty quickly.

I'll definitely pick up MGS now.

edit:

after seaching some threads apparently the series did like 1 million (before the release of the third game).

From Barcelona Gamelab 2011 keynote.

so not that hot and not invisible I guess.

Anyway Vita need it's Pokemon/Digimon(or Skylanders) clone and they need to change Invizimals(move on from AR battle crap) to be the alternative solution for Vita owners.

That's great for them then. Still never going to play it myself.

so will Microsoft release Retro City Rampage from its prison cell this week?

Not for at least 2 weeks, Summer of Arcade is going on

God I wish. How long has the Vita version been completed for now?

too long, no idea why sony didnt throw moneyhats seeing the drought and all...

I hope devs are taking notice of RCR's plight. It's a shame that the game has been in limbo due to Microsoft Game Studio's absurd contract. It's too bad that SCEA's pub fund wasn't around when RCR was being pitched to publishers.

US store update is live.
Sound Shapes downloading now.

Vita store officially shows Unchained Blades & Gungnir as downloadable too.

It's a non-game in my book

I think there's just not much in the immediate future. If you don't have a 3DS and need a handheld fix, people will jump on anything "new" to satiate them in this kind of a dry spell.

StuBurns

Banned

I think there's just not much in the immediate future. If you don't have a 3DS and need a handheld fix, people will jump on anything "new" to satiate them in this kind of a dry spell.
I completely disagree, people were very excited for Sound Shapes, ever since it was announced.

Beast780

Sound Shapes is taking forever to download!

Its not everyone's book of tea, but I love any game music related! I don't do dancing games though.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

1- how in hell Sound Shapes is a non-game?
2- believe it or not many people here have 3DS but play more on Vita.

So I bought the Hori silicone Vita case. Anybody else have one/impressions?

i went for the nerf variety after my 3rd yr old put a nick in the outer bezel. then he decided to take off my screen protector because "he didn't want it on anymore"

now it has like 9 mini-scratches :*(

VanWinkle

How on EARTH is it a "non-game"? I've been excited for the game ever since it was announced.

1- how in hell Sound Shapes is a non-game?
2- believe it or not many people here have 3DS but play more on Vita.

1. Depends how you define the normal "game experience". To me, a game like Tetris and Lumines aren't real games, though I do particularly enjoys the aforementioned titles.

2. I play my Vita way more than my 3DS tbh, but that's only because of Marvel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom