• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sendou

It's a non-game in my book

I think there's just not much in the immediate future. If you don't have a 3DS and need a handheld fix, people will jump on anything "new" to satiate them in this kind of a dry spell.

I have a 3DS and there's New Super Mario Bros. 2 coming next week but I'm still more interested in Sound Shapes. It's something new that excites me and if it's as well produced as reviews suggest then it really is a significant platformer.

Vossler

i went for the nerf variety after my 3rd yr old put a nick in the outer bezel. then he decided to take off my screen protector because "he didn't want it on anymore"

now it has like 9 mini-scratches :*(

I am still putting a screen protector on it, that nerf case looks a little too crazy for me. The hori looks nice and understated. I had something similar on my psp, figured I couldn't go too wrong with this, just wanted some impressions.

Also, I went with the official PS screen protectors, as I figure the case will cover up most of the remaining. Outside of the smaller surface area, any yays/neighs on these?

StuBurns

Banned
1. Depends how you define the normal "game experience". To me, a game like Tetris and Lumines aren't real games, though I do particularly enjoys the aforementioned titles.

2. I play my Vita way more than my 3DS tbh, but that's only because of Marvel.
Tetris isn't a real game?

I'm scared...

I am still putting a screen protector on it, that nerf case looks a little too crazy for me. The hori looks nice and understated. I had something similar on my psp, figured I couldn't go too wrong with this, just wanted some impressions.

Also, I went with the official PS screen protectors, as I figure the case will cover up most of the remaining. Outside of the smaller surface area, any yays/neighs on these?

the official screen protector (that was pulled off) gave me the best success I've ever had with screen protectors. i always seem to have something go wrong with them.

it went on so easily, I was actually convinced it wasn't on the vita

Tratorn

1. Depends how you define the normal "game experience". To me, a game like Tetris and Lumines aren't real games, though I do particularly enjoys the aforementioned titles.

Even if Tetris and Lumines aren't games for you (lol), what does that have to do with Sound Shapes?

It is a plattformer.

VanWinkle

as well as minesweeper, solitaire, spider, etc...

like i said, it depends how you define the experience.

i tend to not lump my tetris and my skyrims in the same category.

Okay, but they're still both games. I don't lump Citizen Kane and Anchorman in the same category, but they're still both movies. And even disregarding that, Sound Shapes is just as much of a game as something like Mario is. It's a platformer, and you're really reaching if you are saying that platformers aren't real games.

let's put it this way...

if the "game" didn't try to incorporate music in the fashion that it does, there would be very little interest in the game, as it looks worse than the pixel junk series.

the idea of me thinking it is a non-game stems from this. obviously this means no one is allowed to enjoy it, cause I said so...

and stuff

patsu

I think there's just not much in the immediate future. If you don't have a 3DS and need a handheld fix, people will jump on anything "new" to satiate them in this kind of a dry spell.

I'm still trying desparately to clear my Vita backlog on my Alaskan trip. ^_^

Will definitely grab Sound Shapes when I'm back. My son is looking forward to it.

Raytow

Can't believe that Growlanser is not in the store, seriously the game works on Vita since day one, it is that hard to put another game into the store?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
if the "game" didn't try to incorporate music in the fashion that it does, there would be very little interest in the game, as it looks worse than the pixel junk series.

Of course not. The whole game is focused on music. That's the entire point.

That's like saying how Lumines wouldn't be as popular today if it didn't blend music into the gameplay. Well yeah.

And looks worse than the PixelJunk series? Implying the PixelJunk series is bad?! Gah!

Of course not. The whole game is focused on music. That's the entire point.

That's like saying how Lumines wouldn't be as popular today if it didn't blend music into the gameplay. Well yeah.

And looks worse than the PixelJunk series? Implying the PixelJunk series is bad?! Gah!

I'm basically explaining that each element, when separated, is extremely sub-par. Explaining why other people are interested in a particular "game" like this is completely unnecessary.

I was implying the pixel junk series LOOKED bad. But yea, I despise Eden and the tower defense games they released. Shooter was decent as well as the slot car game, but again, all looked terrible.

patsu

let's put it this way...

Looks and music never did define game-ness. It's fun and interactivity that shape a game. Sound Shapes uses musical elements for entertainment just like many musical games. Nothing wrong or personal about it.

the idea of me thinking it is a non-game stems from this. obviously this means no one is allowed to enjoy it, cause I said so...

Yes, the 'classification' is moot since musical games exist. As long as people have fun toying with the title, it should be sufficient. I would recommend Everyday Shooter too, by the same author if people have not tried it yet.

Looks and music never did define game-ness. It's fun and interactivity that shape a game. Sound Shapes uses musical elements for entertainment just like many musical games. Nothing wrong or personal about it.

Yes, the 'classification' is moot since musical games exist. As long as people have fun toying with the title, it should be sufficient. I would recommend Everyday Shooter too, by the same author if people have not tried it yet.

at least you seem to understand my point, regardless if you agree with it or not

I actually own everyday shooter and the majority of the pixel junk series. I feel Geometry Wars is a much better, fleshed out version of the same genre

Mako_Drug

I'm basically explaining that each element, when separated, is extremely sub-par. Explaining why other people are interested in a particular "game" like this is completely unnecessary.

I was implying the pixel junk series LOOKED bad. But yea, I despise Eden and the tower defense games they released. Shooter was decent as well as the slot car game, but again, all looked terrible.

Holy crap...opinions and all but...DAMN O_O

I'm playing Sound Shapes right now and it is definitely a "game". The focus is music but that doesn't mean they skimped on the game play. The platforming is actually very good and challenging. The mechanics of sticking to light surfaces and turning into a ball for more speed are used in very original and mind-bending ways. I'm only 2 levels in and have already seen so much variety. The art style is awesome and the creatures are charming.

Shinriji

Sound Shapes is really awesome so far, just for the tutorial levels.

The level editor doesn't seem that hard to use, but I guess that I won't be creating anything for a while.

VanWinkle

The music is extremely sub-par? The art direction is extremely sub-par? The gameplay is extremely sub-par? I really hope you don't design games. I love how the music is incorporated into it, but I myself am buying it because it looks like an awesome platformer. To me, the graphics look incredible, although I can understand you thinking good graphics must be 3D.

Trigger

Not a fan of music or platformers?

Both. It just doesn't seem for me tbh. I haven't played a platformer since the second Ratchet & Clank game. I feel that way about a lot Vita games. The library just needs more expanding. Times are desperate when I consider buying golfing games to past the time (no offense to golf-gaf).

Famassu

Umm... this post is so short, yet contains so much wrong. 1) it's not a "non-game". It's a platformer. It's as pure a game as games can be. It just has some pretty expansive level designing tools that are quite tied to generating some cool beats. 2) Lulz, no, people aren't interested in this just because OMG VITA HAS NOEZ GAMES WAT IS THIS A GAME WE MUST BE EXCITED!!!!!1!11111!!!!!1 People are excited for multiple reasons. I personally LOVED Mak's previous game (it was really something unique in the dual stick shooter genre) and Sound Shapes seems to bring that same kind of genius blend of music & gameplay to the platforming genre. Getting a great level editor & thus UGC is just a massive plus.

The music is extremely sub-par? The art direction is extremely sub-par? The gameplay is extremely sub-par?

Yes, i would argue that the music and art direction are sub-par, by most standards. A better argument would be to say the lack of those elements are due to the small development team and the budget for a particular "game" like this.

I really hope you don't design games.

Why, because I understand why people would buy these indie-type "games" in the first place?

I love how the music is incorporated into it, but I myself am buying it because it looks like an awesome platformer.

Again, no need to explain why you like it

To me, the graphics look incredible

Compared to what exactly?

I can understand you thinking good graphics must be 3D.

I rarely use the 3D function on the 3DS as it doesn't really enhance the experience for me and just eats more battery. The cost/benefit ratio doesn't seem worth it.

branny

Reading the past page or so was the most entertaining way to eat my lunch.

Do you like Lumines? Do you want some DLC for it?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/LUMINES-Electronic-Symphony/108090705977171

I did my part
Are the game's other problems fixed yet (ability abuse, world block glitchiness, lack of plat, puzzle mode, and smaller courses outside of challenge mode to compete for score beyond personal playlists that are only there for relaxing)? I think DLC should come after, though I'd love to see Shinin', Lights, Heavenly Star, and Breeze.

Wonko_C

DC27V.jpg

VanWinkle

Yes, i would argue that the music and art direction are sub-par, by most standards. A better argument would be to say the lack of those elements are due to the small development team and the budget for a particular "game" like this.

Well I can't argue with "reasoning" like this.

Why, because I understand why people would buy these indie-type "games" in the first place?

No, because you don't seem to understand that music, art, and graphics that you don't personally like doesn't mean that it's extremely sub-par.

Again, no need to explain why you like it

You seemed to be explaining why people want it, which was wrong, and I told you.

Compared to what exactly?

Why does it have to be compared, exactly? I think the graphics are incredible because of the great pixel art, design, use of colors, and quirkiness.

I rarely use the 3D function on the 3DS as it doesn't really enhance the experience for me and just eats more battery. The cost/benefit ratio doesn't seem worth it.

I mean 3D graphics. And this assumption was from the fact that you call Sound Shapes, Lumines, Tetris, etc. "non-games" while Skyrim is in a whole other league.

Shinriji

OK, the Rowdy Cloudy level from Sound Shapes is the most fun in a plataformer game since Super Mario Bros 3. So simple, yet so intense.

And LOL the haters.

Time out, Sound Shapes is a platformer? Maybe I havent looked into this game enough.

Yes! I wasn't really sure what it was either because I never really paid much attention to the news blurbs about it. Then I saw someone mention it was by the Everyday Shooter dev. I went to go look up a video on the PS blog and immediately pre-ordered it.

Sol1dus

Teknoman, that .gif is hilarious. X)
------------
Just waiting for ma Sound Beats to download...

Also, <3 Willa Holland.

Cade

Sound Shapes is ruining my life with its glory. It's too addicting and catchy, and I'm loving the physics. If there wasn't a PS3 version, this would be one of those gotta-own-a-Vita-for games. As it is, it's glorious on the OLED and I'm happy PS3-only people will get to play it too.

The level editor seems intuitive as hell. This is awesome.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I'm not particularly good at Sound Shapes, but I'm loving it so far. It has a wonderful style and as I'm playing it I'm grinning like a complete idiot. It's brilliant.

Sol1dus

Sound Shapes is ruining my life with its glory. It's too addicting and catchy, and I'm loving the physics. If there wasn't a PS3 version, this would be one of those gotta-own-a-Vita-for games. As it is, it's glorious on the OLED and I'm happy PS3-only people will get to play it too.

I actually think it was a great idea to do it with a PS3 release also. This way they can get more people interested and when they make a second sound shapes, do it vita only. Those people that like it on PS3 enough might consider a purchase because of it.

Teknoman

It's like LittleBigPlanet meets Lumines. I was sold on it the second they showed the level editor.

I'm not particularly good at Sound Shapes, but I'm loving it so far. It has a wonderful style and as I'm playing it I'm grinning like a complete idiot. It's brilliant.

I just watched one trailer of the game. The music sounds great (love beat based platforming, even with Mario Galaxy 2) and the graphic style is cool. Consider me sold.

Is it digital only though?

EDIT: Hmm, I think it should have been Vita only, like Gravity Rush. That provides incentive to pick up a Vita (sure did for me) and then from there, you draw gamers in with other exclusives/enhanced ports.

Oh and is Oddworld Stranger's Wrath still headed to Vita?

Toki767

I just watched one trailer of the game. The music sounds great (love beat based platforming, even with Mario Galaxy 2) and the graphic style is cool. Consider me sold.

Yes it's digital only. But you do get it for PS3 and Vita for one price.

EDIT: Hmm, I think it should have been Vita only, like Gravity Rush. That provides incentive to pick up a Vita (sure did for me) and then from there, you draw gamers in with other exclusives/enhanced ports.

it was exclusive to Vita for awhile then they added the PS3 version.

VanWinkle

I agree that they should have kept it Vita only. Just for incentive-reasons.

And last I heard, Stranger's Wrath is indeed still headed to Vita. Haven't heard anything since E3, but they were hard at work, so I'd say it's still happening. And I forgot about that, so I'm excited to play it on Vita.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Guess i'll download once I upgrade to a bigger card.
What size is your card? I have an 8 GB and had to delete a movie to fit Sound Shapes. I need to play and finish some of my PSP games because, once PS1 support rolls around, I won't be able to fit a single game on my memory card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom