• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RpgN

I have Escape Plan and I love it.
It's funny and you can play it nearly everywhere (because the "levels" don't take too long to beat)

But I hear nothing but very good stuff about Sound Shapes :)

Isn't that what you always hear about newly released overhyped games anyways? I don't doubt it's a good game, but I'm sure flaws would came out later rather than straight after release (unless it's really bad). It was on my list of wanting to get and very interested, but I think I'll hold off for now. My hype is wading and I still have 4 Vita games to finish, won't get around this anytime soon.

And I agree about Escape Plan btw. The game has a lot of content too, there are 3 DLC packs that I have yet to get around to after 'completing' the game.

I bought a 32 gb memory card along with Theatrhythm Final Fantasy btw (finally!). Backing everything up took over 2 and half hours in all but it looks like everything is brought over? It doesn't seem like I'm missing anything (besides wallpapers) which is pretty impressive even if it takes ages. I DLed Unit-13 and Puddles demo straight. The Vita will be played again soon :D

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Isn't that what you always hear about newly released overhyped games anyways? I don't doubt it's a good game, but I'm sure flaws would came out later rather than straight after release (unless it's really bad). It was on my list of wanting to get and very interested, but I think I'll hold off for now. My hype is wading and I still have 4 Vita games to finish, won't get around this anytime soon.
I was on the fence about Sound Shapes but ultimately decided to get it because I want more games on the Vita and I like supporting games that have a unique style. I think the game's biggest flaw is that the platforming isn't particularly fun (I say that as somebody who's not very good at platfomers though), and really just a method to explore the wonderfully designed levels. It's also on the short side, but the level editor and excellent community interface should do a lot to extend the game's life.

Yeah, I dunno. Sound Shapes sounded cool on paper but it just really doesn't look like my type of game... maybe when it's on sale later, but for now Jet Grind Radio and RCR take priority in PSN Vita titles.

geez, sorry mom

And girl, I'm already beautiful.
i'm a boy

Kyon

Banned
I'd do anything for a Yakuza game. Anything.

hmmm i c
iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif

FAKE EDIT: Watch Vita Heaven 2 have reveals of all the NGP projects.
I will cry, die, come back to life and cry again

OmegaZero

Guess who has two thumbs and just took down three bosses at once in Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus?

This guy!

I'm so stoked, I might shoot for the Platinum! If I manage to get it, I'll celebrate by getting Sound Shapes or something.

hmmm i c
iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif

Haha indeed. The heavens could not contain my rage if this happened.

Alright vitagaf I'm gonna download sound shapes later tonight. Hope you guys aren't wrong. I need to wean myself from lumines.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
hmmm i c
iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif

within reason darling

The Yakuza NGP demo blew my face off and I'm still recovering, so I don't know if I'd be able to handle it. I'm shaking in anticipation.

Kyon

Banned
within reason darling

The Yakuza NGP demo blew my face off and I'm still recovering, so I don't know if I'd be able to handle it. I'm shaking in anticipation.

Seriously. That would mean MGS4, Lost Planet, MHP3rd(for most of you that havent imported lol), Killzone, an Unreal Engine game, and Broken .... Am I missing something?

I'm liking Sound Shapes so far. Like the music a lot plus I love platformers anyway.
Community levels are already looking good which would give this game a long life time.
Sol1dus please add me so that I can have a look at your level : ) PSN smae as gaf ID.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Seriously. That would mean MGS4, Lost Planet, MHP3rd(for most of you that havent imported lol), Killzone, an Unreal Engine game, and Broken .... Am I missing something?
I think that's most of it. MGS4 was also shown on the Vita along with Yakuza: Dead Souls to show how easy it is to port PS3 games over.

Kyon

Banned
I think that's most of it. MGS4 was also shown on the Vita along with Yakuza: Dead Souls to show how easy it is to port PS3 games over.

oooh ok :D

How about Killzone? was that ever confirmed? This Vita Heaven will be great i can feel it.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE

How about Killzone? was that ever confirmed? This Vita Heaven will be great i can feel it.
I don't know if it was confirmed, but it was right there with Resistance as one of Sony's big shooter properties that was coming to Vita. I imagine it's still in development, but I haven't been following it.

Tratorn

I don't think there'll be a vita-gaming-heaven anytime soon.
At most for some more infos for tgs-games.

It was probably planed a bit earlier but then they decided that more anouncements on a single event would have a bigger impact. So it wouldn't make much sense to do only some anouncements at tgs and some weeks before/later on another gaming-heaven.
Gamescom is also there (but well, this isn't really for japanese anouncements).

OmegaZero

How much for a chunk of your enthusiasm? :(
On second thought, maybe not.

I'm expecting Vita Heaven 2 to disappoint me, so I can be blown away when an amazing announcement happens.

I don't think there'll be a vita-gaming-heaven anytime soon.
At most for some more infos for tgs-games.

It was probably planed a bit earlier but then they decided that more anouncements on a single event would have a bigger impact. So it wouldn't make much sense to do only some anouncements at tgs and some weeks before/later on another gaming-heaven.
Gamescom is also there (but well, this isn't really for japanese anouncements).

So no 2nd game heaven? :(

hwy_61

Banned
Quick GTA related question:

Is it worth it to buy Chinatown Wars if I already own it on DS? I haven't solved that tape yet, and I was wondering if the big ass screen would make for a better experience.

If it isn't, I'll probably pick up VCS.

Kyon

Banned
How much for a chunk of your enthusiasm? :(
On second thought, maybe not.

I'm expecting Vita Heaven 2 to disappoint me, so I can be blown away when an amazing announcement happens.

I think they are trying to announce many games at once. Probably trying to find a place and time to do it. Vita Heaven 2 and Gamescom would be perfect. TGS and Jump Festa as well would be too since they usually always have a Keynote. I have faith tbh. There is no way Sony is "ignoring" the Vita during these shows.

derwalde

playing uncharted:GA right now. wow this is the uncharted i always dreamed of. its far less about massmurdering hundreds of people all over the world and more about adventuring und finding tons of hidden stuff. and even if you have to shot people, the gyro aiming is awesome. furthermore its an amazing looking game. loving it so far.

Massa

What we know about Killzone Vita: this footage. It's being developed by Sony Cambridge with the assistance of Guerrilla Games and this leaked speach might be from it.

Not so excited about Killzone, I'd prefer Bordelands or even a fully loaded version of COD "although I'm not a fan of COD" but that's the stuff that would sell. God of war anthology on Vita would Be awesome. Sony has lots of stuff to Catch up and hopefully they will.

Skyzard

Banned
Puddle vita....yep don't buy. Fun in principle but game mechanics (limiting and punishing camera movement/very zoomed in) and VERY slow gameplay (rotation - thick viscous fluid) is a real pain. The physics is basically the same for all the fluids so far, only gameplay tweaks...like pushing an avocado along the map or something

dat framerate....brutal.

seriously developers, fucking stop it. I know some of you weren't developing on the vita but :/ shameful

The shitlist for games with severe performance issues that affect gameplay too much not to care:

*Modnation
*Stardrone Extreme (edit: this one will seem harsh, especially if you are playing on a slower game speed (really nice that he let us adjust it in the pause menu though)
*Puddle

SE almost cuts it to not affect gameplay, but not quite as it's all about carefully timing swings to navigate around the map, pretty hard when it's stuttering all over..usually it is just a visual annoyance but does occasionally cause missed chances and some frustration...but such a fun game (at least with the smaller maps with less objects), it's like a funner peggle/pinball...shame the performance is so irritating. Same with modnation. Puddle was also a great concept and had a fun few maps...before the lagfest. I'm being a bit hard on Stardrone I think, it has some great and very playable levels.

Games that make the pass despite a (little) bit of stuttering:

* Motorstorm RC - hardly
* Touch My Katamari - hardly
* Gravity Rush (quite a bit...but of course, you push through it. Although sometimes visually it's pretty messy with the choppiness. Forces you to slow down a little. Usually when going really fast/loading new environments too quickly for the game.
* MGS Collection (some dips, especially in mgs2, not just varying fps outside and in - would be crazy not to buy the collection though (unless you have it on PS3, then less essential, I guess)

I've heard people confirm without a reference that the Vita is underclocked like the PSP was, can anyone confirm? Might help with these older games down-the-line. At the moment I consider them (first list) basically a waste of memory space (Modnation bit the dust long ago).

--------------
[important edit... WRONG!----->>]

Btw GRID 2 announced - Vita logo at the bottom of the website:

http://www.gridgame.com/trailer

Boya.

--------------

Waiting to try Sound Shapes (EU) - platforming mechanics don't look as bad as I thought from the older videos. I heard the level builder was great too, any way to record sounds through the microphone btw?

To the person asking about chinatown wars on vita - I haven't touched it since picking up Vice and Liberty City (recent sale)...it was alright from what I remember - looked great too (minus the standby mode bug issue - major slowdown when resuming from a standby'd vita).

Not so excited about Killzone, I'd prefer Bordelands or even a fully loaded version of COD "although I'm not a fan of COD" but that's the stuff that would sell. God of war anthology on Vita would Be awesome. Sony has lots of stuff to Catch up and hopefully they will.

They should look at Mercury Steam and make next GoW PSV/PS3 release.

The shitlist for games with severe performance issues that affect gameplay too much not to care:

*Modnation
*Stardrone Extreme
*Puddle

Modnation is so crappy frame rate wise. I wish they would fix it as I would quite like to play it, but not in its current state. Only played demos of other 2.

Games that make the pass despite a bit of stuttering:

* Motorstorm RC
* Touch My Katamari
* Gravity Rush (quite a bit...but of course, you push through it. Although sometimes visually it's pretty messy with the choppiness. Forces you to slow down a little. Usually when going really fast/loading new environments too quickly for the game.
* MGS Collection

Im not sure I agree with these being stuttery?

Mortorstorm runs fine for me. Although I have only played about half of it so maybe it changes?

Gravity rush had the odd slow down now and then but nothing annoying and not even to a point I clearly remember it getting choppy ever.

MGS HD collection is fine as well. MGS 2 just switched from 30 - 60 depending on the section and MGS3 is locked at 30. In some cutscenes you get a bit of slow down here and there but thats it.

I played the demo of Puddle, and I definitely wasn't feeling it. I'd rather put the Mercury games back on my memory card. Much more forgiving.

Skyzard

Banned
OmegaTreeFish:

Well that's what I was saying, I agree..they were playable despite the (probably should have mentioned OCCASIONAL) stuttering. Gravity Rush it is pretty noticeable though, when you press X to go faster across the city, looking around etc - it's not so much stuttering as just slight dips. Like with mgs though, really can't not buy it, and quite easy to get over.

Modnation RC, it is there, some camera views are worse than others (particularly aerial/going fast around a corner etc) but it's hardly noticeable and doesn't affect the gameplay much at all, like Touch My Katamari. I understand not everyone will spot it, but for those that can/do, that's my list as an fyi to anyone interested in picking them up who would spot it too - (pc gamers usually).

The framerate in MGS2 going from 30-60 is not accurate btw. It fluctuates and dips a little below those locked settings (only really affects first-person aiming sometimes), both inside and out, but it's MGS so all good. I remember 3 running better as well.

@ The Grid 2 playstation logo thing......

are you sure? :'(

some reason lists psp on wikipedia as well.

Skyzard

Banned
FFFFFFFFFffffffffff (my bad guys, sorry about that)

What's the point in that, already got the ps3 and psn logo... :/ Maybe because SCE helped with the engine according to wikipedia...[Edit; the next stuff is wrong wrong wrong wrong] although wiki also says it's out on PSP, which I somehow doubt.

Would have been so nice on Vita...the cars control in such a fun way with grid, just nice and tight racing. Likely would have double-dipped too....ah well.

FFFFFFFFFffffffffff (my bad guys, sorry about that)

What's the point in that, already got the ps3 and psn logo... :/ Maybe because SCE helped with the engine according to wikipedia...although wiki also says it's out on PSP, which I somehow doubt.

Would have been so nice on Vita...the cars control in such a fun way with grid, just nice and tight racing. Likely would have double-dipped too....ah well.

Lawl, the wiki article is about Dirt 2, this is Grid 2...

@skyzard: huh?

Anyways, bro comes tomorrow from his holiday, gonna have some quality time with the Vita. A shame I have to wait another 7 days for Sound Shapes. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom