• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I love my PSP for all the fighting games it had.

My dream for Vita is ports of all the console stuff. I would double buy everything.

I want VF5, SC5, TTT2, SF4AE, KOF13 Vita ports.

I am loving UMVC3, MK9, Blazblu so far, plus all the old PSP stuff. Can't wait for SFxTekken.

Rasec

Damn, still won't get the 32 gb card for the vita.
My 16 one is already full and i had to delete Mortal Kombat. I only have 1gb free and that will be for sound shapes.

Shame, that deal from amazon was sweet but the cheapest one that sells to europe charges 30€ of shipping. Overall it would cost me 96€ when a 32 card here costs 90.

branny

It's too big of a dream to wish for a modern Sega Arcade Collection...or Saturn and Dreamcast greatest hits. Or Fighters Megamix 2...

So many relatively modern (circa 2000-ish) arcade games are the perfect fit for Vita. It's powerful enough to run them, and they're high-energy spectacle, easy to pick up and play, and deep enough to be revisited multiple times. No offense to most PSN/XBLA games, but many of those would simply not do well in actual arcades.

And, yeah, the PSP was a great machine for fighting games. Tekken 5 and GGXXAC+ in particular were mind-boggling to me when they came out. And I may or may not have hacked mine to emulate a few MAME and CPS1/2 titles...so having stuff like MvC1 with full tag features (after playing the gimped PSX version for so long) may or may not have blown my mind. Having something like UMvC3 on Vita is still incomprehensible to me.

We are so spoiled these days. I remember pumping quarter after quarter to play so many things that were impossible on home consoles. Just seeing a select screen in the newest fighting game or shmup or DDR or whatever was the most exciting thing ever for me.

shaqnosis

Neo Member
Thanks to the EU PSN sale i just purchased PS1 classic Metal Gear Solid in anticipation for the upcoming PS1 Vita compatibility patch.

Has there been any official word on Rainbow Moon coming to Vita? I remember hearing/reading some speculation a while back that it was being ported over, but have not seen much since.

Iacobellis

Anyone else felt Sound Shapes was too short? Sure, I can go back to make some levels or brush up on my scores, but that's it. I like how in LBP you have to search high and low to unlock all the items.

Sol1dus

Anyone else felt Sound Shapes was too short? Sure, I can go back to make some levels or brush up on my scores, but that's it. I like how in LBP you have to search high and low to unlock all the items.

You should try Death Mode. Lol.

-----

I'm definitely getting Sine Mora when it comes out.

I've been itching for some bullet-hell (danmaku) games on the Vita. I really hope it sells well and pushes Cave Co. to port over DonPachi and all those other great games.

I have them on iOS but its just not the same.

Iacobellis

You should try Death Mode. Lol.

-----

I'm definitely getting Sine Mora when it comes out.

I've been itching for some bullet-hell (danmaku) games on the Vita. I really hope it sells well and pushes Cave Co. to port over DonPachi and all those other great games.

I have them on iOS but its just not the same.

I did. I couldn't get past the first level. Don't even get me started on the deadmau5 album.

Foshy

Hey Motorstorm RC people:
Can anyone give me some tips on how to drive the damn rally car? I can't drift worth spit. :(
Mmh, it's hard to give tips here as it just clicked for me after a while, but R/L to accelerate/brake works MUCH better than the right analog stick imo, especially for drifting, so you might try that control scheme if you aren't using it already.

I don't recall having problems with the rally car, the buggy is a fucking bitch though.

Sol1dus

Jump around. I couldn't do the first level. The easiest Death levels are in the third of fourth album. I got about four of them done. They're all about luck though. There's no denying that. The platinum is so close, yet so far away. x.x

Damn, still won't get the 32 gb card for the vita.
My 16 one is already full and i had to delete Mortal Kombat. I only have 1gb free and that will be for sound shapes.

Shame, that deal from amazon was sweet but the cheapest one that sells to europe charges 30€ of shipping. Overall it would cost me 96€ when a 32 card here costs 90.

I need a 32gb too, 90euros is still too much, I would be okay with 60 euros or something.

Iacobellis

Jump around. I couldn't do the first level. The easiest Death levels are in the third of fourth album. I got about four of them done. They're all about luck though. There's no denying that. The platinum is so close, yet so far away. x.x

Beat School trophies were very easy to farm. Found a guide online, and boom, was done.

Kazerei

Banned
I picked up Unit 13 over the weekend, and so far I've played eleven missions.

THIS GAME IS AMAZING. The controls are responsive, and the touch controls fit perfectly. It has fairly typical action/shooter elements, like cover, stealth, etc. which are all implented smoothly. The levels are open and well-designed, and there's multiple characters to choose from, so you can approach each situation in a variety of ways. The only downside is the AI is kind of dumb. But I don't really mind if an enemy wants to stare at a wall while I run up and knife him.

It's a real shame Zipper closed down. They know how to make a great Vita game. I'm not sure COD will be able to top this.

is there only 1 control scheme in Motorstorm RC vita? the button layout stays the same (both sticks) for both regular and alternate?

Edit: ooooh, I'm dumb. reg vs. alt is like inverse look and you can edit your button maps... got the 14.5 on rock skipper, thanks!

Foshy

is there only 1 control scheme in Motorstorm RC vita? the button layout stays the same (both sticks) for both regular and alternate?
It's completely customizable or at least close to it. Standard is Dual Sticks, but I have Brake/Accelerate set to L/R and you can also set it to X/O/Square/Triangle.

Edit: Nvm, too late. Glad you got it :)

StuBurns

Banned
How is IV? I've never had the chance to play it.
It's amazing. I know the general consensus is number two is the only bad seed in the early days, but I think the first three are all pretty weak. IV was a significant leap in complexity story wise, character development wise, game progression wise. You can't go wrong with IV/V/VI, they're all pretty stunning.

It's amazing. I know the general consensus is number two is the only bad seed in the early days, but I think the first three are all pretty weak. IV was a significant leap in complexity story wise, character development wise, game progression wise. You can't go wrong with IV/V/VI, they're all pretty stunning.

II was terrible... it even outdoes the hate I have for FFX though just barely. I still cringe to think I've played through it. But it's worth mentioning that III and V might not be everyone's cup of tea, since they rely heavily on job systems a la FFT and if you don't like that sort of stuff? You probably won't like the game (it doesn't help that the PSOne translation for the 4th party member in FFV was absolutely terrible and cringeworthy).

I suppose there's the PSP remake of FF and FFII, right? But 3 was only readily available on 3DS (and now iOS, right?).

With PSOne support, he could try FFV or FFVI, but the load times may still be garbage.

--

Do all minis work on Vita? I see now that I can browse the store on PS3 that Pac-Man DX is a mini and available, I just don't want to plop down $5 and have it not work.

zroid

Banned
there's a master list on CAG

Pac-Man CE is one of the few that doesn't work, apparently. This mini isn't DX, mind, which I think most will agree is the better game.

Ever. I don't think it came out here until the early 2000s on PS1 or something?

That's certainly a ringing endorsement. I'll bet it looks pretty good on the Vita screen too...

StuBurns

Banned
II was terrible... it even outdoes the hate I have for FFX though just barely. I still cringe to think I've played through it. But it's worth mentioning that III and V might not be everyone's cup of tea, since they rely heavily on job systems a la FFT and if you don't like that sort of stuff? You probably won't like the game (it doesn't help that the PSOne translation for the 4th party member in FFV was absolutely terrible and cringeworthy).

I suppose there's the PSP remake of FF and FFII, right? But 3 was only readily available on 3DS (and now iOS, right?).

With PSOne support, he could try FFV or FFVI, but the load times may still be garbage.

--

Do all minis work on Vita? I see now that I can browse the store on PS3 that Pac-Man DX is a mini and available, I just don't want to plop down $5 and have it not work.
1 and 2 were remade for PSP, as was 4 with The After Years, 3 is on iOS/Android/DS, but it's coming to PSP too.

No, not all Mini's work on the Vita.
That's certainly a ringing endorsement. I'll bet it looks pretty good on the Vita screen too...
I think it looks very nice, a lot of people say it looks like it was shit out by one of those RPG Maker games though. In the eye of the beholder and all that.

EDIT: FFIV did come out at the time in the states, it was II though.

I think it looks very nice, a lot of people say it looks like it was shit out by one of those RPG Maker games though. In the eye of the beholder and all that.

Perhaps it's something to do with the static enemies, stuff like that? I can't fault the art... It's wonderful.

I don't think it came out in the EU, did it? From what I'm reading, the FF Anthology was the first release of IV/V/VI in Europe.

demigod

Ouch, FF IV was the reason I got into FF when a friend brought it over. FF VII is my all time favorite though, but I will say FF VI is hands down the best.

Roubjon

This thing is fantastic. I just got the Vita in the mail around an hour ago along with 16gb memory card, Gravity Rush, and Disgaea 3. The hardware itself is freaking amazing, and when I put Gravity Rush in there and started playing it I couldn't believe that it looked so damn good. The controls are awesome and fluid, the graphics are freaking amazing, and it seems really fun so far. I'll probably buy Sound Shapes later this week considering that game looks great as well.

The only bad thing I have to say is that I screwed up putting the baby proof official screen protector on so it's slightly crooked, oh well. I also wish I could play all my PSP games on here, like 3rd Birthday, Tactics Ogre, and Trails, but of course that's a very silly wish. I'm pretty sure going back to play a PSP is going to suck now though. I'm looking forward to the PS1 games firmware update though, I'll finally go through all those PS1 RPGs I've yet to beat.

1 and 2 were remade for PSP, as was 4 with The After Years, 3 is on iOS/Android/DS, but it's coming to PSP too.

No, not all Mini's work on the Vita.

Yes, in the original US releases, what we got was:
Final Fantasy (NES) > Final Fantasy II (SNES) > Final Fantasy MQ (SNES) > Final Fantasy III (SNES)

II was originally the Japanese IV and III was the Japanese VI. They were rebranded to II and III because Nintendo/Square thought consumers would be confused if suddenly the games went from I to IV then VI.

Starting with PSOne, the games took on concurrent numbers in line with the JPN releases. When PSOne ports came over (with horrible load times) one disc had IV and V and the other had VI and Chrono Trigger, I believe.

Anyway, yes, it was a SNES game, and it's been released on GBA too as FFIVAdvance.

Quite possibly the best JRPG of all time. ^_^ Play it, MarshMellow.

--

Huh -- so you guys in EU got screwed? That sucks. Hopefully your translation for V wasn't as tits up as ours was on that PSOne disc. Load times still suck though.

And about DQ -- EU never had the Dragon Warrior SNES games?

--

Also, thanks for the answers on the mini guys, saved me $5.

StuBurns

Banned
The first DQ game we got was DWM for GBC, then nothing again till '06 when 8 came out.

Lots of Mini's do work on Vita though, possibly including Pac-Mac. It's safest only to buy one if they show up on the Vita store itself. For example, Tetris, the only Mini I really care about, does work on the US Vitas, but not the European ones.

Oxn

This thing is fantastic. I just got the Vita in the mail around an hour ago along with 16gb memory card, Gravity Rush, and Disgaea 3. The hardware itself is freaking amazing, and when I put Gravity Rush in there and started playing it I couldn't believe that it looked so damn good. The controls are awesome and fluid, the graphics are freaking amazing, and it seems really fun so far. I'll probably buy Sound Shapes later this week considering that game looks great as well.

The only bad thing I have to say is that I screwed up putting the baby proof official screen protector on so it's slightly crooked, oh well. I also wish I could play all my PSP games on here, like 3rd Birthday, Tactics Ogre, and Trails, but of course that's a very silly wish. I'm pretty sure going back to play a PSP is going to suck now though. I'm looking forward to the PS1 games firmware update though, I'll finally go through all those PS1 RPGs I've yet to beat.

You can if you bought off PSN.

If not, double dip

I want Little King's Story and Orgarhythm to hurry up and come out.

Still grinding away at ToM:B and HSG and will pick up MS:RC more once I eventually make a second account and get crappy times.

SkylineRKR

Europe got fucked out of a lot. No CC, Xenogears, Bushido 2, PE1 etc either. Ofcourse, all it took was chipping your console and pay a higher price for an import game. Which I found was worth it in the end.

But the way it actually was;

FF Anthology included FFV+FFVI
FF Chronicles included CT+FFIV

In Europe, FFVI was stand alone and after that I think a FFIV+FFV pack was released. CT was cockblocked again.

So, release list:

The next Vita game after Sound Shapes is Ragnarok Odyssey in US, 21st August.
Then:
Madden 28th August (US)
Zen Pinball 2 4th September (US)
Little Big Planet 19th September (EU), 25th September (US)
FIFA 13 25th September (US), 28th September (EU)
Silent Hill Book of Memories 1st October (US)
WRC 3 12th October (EU)
Jet Set Radio 16th October (US), 19th October (EU)

Then things get a bit mad for the US

Street Fighter X Tekken 19th October (EU) 23rd October (US)
Playstation All Stars Battle Royale 23rd October (US) 24th October (EU)
Persona 4 Golden 23rd October (US)
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward 23rd October (US)
Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation 30th October (US & EU)
Lego Lord of the Rings 30th October (US)
Need for Speed Most Wanted 30th October (US) 2nd November (EU)
Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing Transformed November 16th (EU), November 20th (US)

And to round things up, New King's Story, DJMax Technika Tune, Call of Duty Declassified, Retro City Rampage, Spy Hunter and Sly Cooper all currently are due at some unconfirmed time this year.

branny

^Ragnarok Odyssey is likely coming out in September, not late August. That placeholder date is only eleven days away, and we sadly still have no official confirmation of it.

Also, expect DJMAX Technika TUNE to come out sometime in late September or early October. Early September if we've all been good little girls and boys. :p

Skyzard

Banned
Every week that passes and NFS MW vita doesn't get a delay or show a gameplay trailer, I become more certain it will not live up to the home console counterparts' quality that we've seen in some videos from way back.

It's no small game, you'd expect them to be basically finished with it by now given how little time is out between then. Spy Hunter situation....I really hope not.

Sol1dus

I'm pretty sure Ragnarok is supposed to come September 11. And about LotR: Lego, that game better not be another PSP port, or they're not getting mah money. >:l

Rasec

I need a 32gb too, 90euros is still too much, I would be okay with 60 euros or something.

I'm still looking for that xD. Really need it or things get hard to fit here when releases start coming at the end pf september. Until then i'll be drooling all over project diva f xD

So, release list:

Sound Shapes.
Then:
Street Fighter X Tekken 19th October (EU) 23rd October
Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing Transformed November 16th (EU), November 20th (US)

And to round things up, DJMax Technika Tune, Call of Duty Declassified, Retro City Rampage, and Sly Cooper all currently are due at some unconfirmed time this year.

So, deleting from your post the ones i don't want i now see i'm gonna declare bankruptcy. XD

Dj max limited edition and also project diva f are the ones i already pre-order and it was the only ones i wanted to have on cart, but seeing this list no way even an 32 gb card can hold all this games.
Men, i'm gonna bet some headaches later this year with this memory space on my vita T_T

brentech

Every week that passes and NFS MW vita doesn't get a delay or show a gameplay trailer, I become more certain it will not live up to the home console counterparts' quality that we've seen in some videos from way back.

It's no small game, you'd expect them to be basically finished with it by now given how little time is out between then. Spy Hunter situation....I really hope not.
Same thing from EA on vita madden and vita FIFA.
I think it's largely an EA strategy.

So, release list:

The next Vita game after Sound Shapes is Ragnarok Odyssey in US, 21st August.
Then:
Madden 28th August (US)
FIFA 13 25th September (US), 28th September (EU)
Silent Hill Book of Memories 1st October (US)
WRC 3 12th October (EU)

Then things get a bit mad for the US

Street Fighter X Tekken 19th October (EU) 23rd October (US)
Playstation All Stars Battle Royale 23rd October (US) 24th October (EU)
Lego Lord of the Rings 30th October (US)
Need for Speed Most Wanted 30th October (US) 2nd November (EU)

And to round things up, New King's Story, DJMax Technika Tune, Call of Duty Declassified, Retro City Rampage, Spy Hunter and Sly Cooper all currently are due at some unconfirmed time this year.

With all the console releases for this Fall, this list is not too bad. Granted it could be better, but we will see what comes about next week.

Now Sony just needs to drop some prices on the sku's/memory cards and relaunch the Vita in hopes that it sparks some business for the holiday.

I'm looking forward to:

Madden
Zen Pinball 2
Little Big Planet
Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation

Skyzard

Banned
@brentech I hope so, fifa vita wasn't bad at all. Just the whole concept of a burnout paradise clone on vita sounds too good to be true. Hope it works out well for us.

Yopis

@brentech I hope so, fifa vita wasn't bad at all. Just the whole concept of a burnout paradise clone on vita sounds too good to be true. Hope it works out well for us.

Hope fifa this time is closer to 12. Hate the old defending system. Pretty cool playing full manual on the go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom