• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it said on it's official US PS-gamepage, that the it's the same physics engine as on 360/PS3..

Here is a article about it aswell:
--8<---
Electronic Arts has announced FIFA 13 for PlayStation Vita. Alongside Vita, the game will appear on 3DS, PC, PS2, PS3, PSP, Wii, Xbox 360, and iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad. EA originally release FIFA Football as a Vita launch title, which was critically loved for its unique use of the back touch pad. This year’s edition of the game features improved AI, an enhanced dribbling system, a large revamped career mode and the second generation of the Player Impact Engine.
--8<---

Neither articles are from EA. frankly speaking I'm not expecting much from them this year. They have been only focusing on Consoles for years now that they even ignored its PC version which was their best selling version years ago and they are just doing the same. I'm gonna buy it for PS3 only, not for Vita unless I hear something different from them.

Kazzy

Does anyone know of any sites where I can purchase US PSN cards, as a UK resident? Bestbuy seems to be sold out of its online codes :(

KongRudi

Banned
Neither articles are from EA. frankly speaking I'm not expecting much from them this year. They have been only focusing on Consoles for years now that they even ignored its PC version which was their best selling version years ago and they are just doing the same. I'm gonna buy it for PS3 only, not for Vita unless I hear something different from them.

But it's said it's using the same physics engine as Playstation 3 here for weeks now, and it's gone the rounds at most of the industry-media, if it weren't correct info, i think they'd probably have corrected that.
It's only a month ior so away, so it won't be long until we hear for certain.

oldmario

I think it said on it's official US PS-gamepage, that the it's the same physics engine as on 360/PS3..

Here is a article about it aswell:
--8<---
Electronic Arts has announced FIFA 13 for PlayStation Vita. Alongside Vita, the game will appear on 3DS, PC, PS2, PS3, PSP, Wii, Xbox 360, and iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad. EA originally release FIFA Football as a Vita launch title, which was critically loved for its unique use of the back touch pad. This year’s edition of the game features improved AI, an enhanced dribbling system, a large revamped career mode and the second generation of the Player Impact Engine.
--8<---

fifa 13 nearly on all playstation platforms wat

GrizzNKev

Banned
Uh oh guys. I think I'm starting to really like Sony.

I just split the cost of a PS3 with a friend to trade between college semesters. Cross-buy too enticing :(

:)

Rasec

I've watched some video reviews, and some of those songs and skins are so good :( Well...I'm going to think about it, there is enough time left before its sale ends in EU (not sure when exactly?).

You have until 22 of this month.
Well, i ended buying lumines with all the opinions here and no regret at all. Superb game to play sometimes here and there.

Does anyone know of any sites where I can purchase US PSN cards, as a UK resident? Bestbuy seems to be sold out of its online codes :(

http://www.4saleusa.com/category.php?id_category=7
At least it's one site i found when i was thinking of going for a US account but i decided to stay in the EU. It's cheaper than play-asia.

But it's said it's using the same physics engine as Playstation 3 here for weeks now, and it's gone the rounds at most of the industry-media, if it weren't correct info, i think they'd probably have corrected that.
It's only a month ior so away, so it won't be long until we hear for certain.

Well thanks for this link. Never seen it before :s
Of all the physics I hope they bring tactical defending to Vita cause the older defense engine is just a piece of crab compared to it.

|ync

"100 PSone titles over the coming weeks" is reassuring... but still. It's not 28th Aug. Their "coming weeks" could be essentially infinity, especially as it is a Facebook comment...

The over analysis of every word Sony says is getting pretty ridiculous. They could issue a press release saying the sun was going to come up tomorrow and people would respond with "Aha! They didn't mention what time it was coming up!" and "How come they only mentioned tomorrow? Sony confirmed to destroy the sun on Monday!"

PS1 support is scheduled for Aug 28th, they seem to be indicating a lot of titles will be available on that day. Whether they release 1 or 100, there's a chance your PS1 game of choice will not be among them, so you just have to wait and find out.

And while I'm on the topic, I must have seen at least five posts to the effect of "Sony said PS1 support was coming this summer, summer is almost over so where is it?" Guess what, here we are and PS1 support is coming before the end of summer. I know Sony doesn't always deliver (Gaming Heaven?), but at least wait until they miss their deadline before getting bent out of shape about it.

Aaaand what's the deal with people talking about how the last guardian is cancelled every couple weeks! Sure, there are obviously some development troubles and it's way late, but does sony really need to issue weekly press releases saying "yep, still working on the game"?

All this wild speculation and hyperbole drives me crazy, can't people just take the simplest interpretation and wait to be proven wrong? I mean "Their "coming weeks" could be essentially infinity"? Really? How many weeks does it take to capture the essence of infinity? On the spectrum of August 28th to the day the sun burns out you're going to go with infinity?

I don't mean to single you out, this is more a rant against GAF/the world at large..

tldr: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

fernoca

And the backlog keeps growing! ("but vita has no games lolol").

Got Modnation yesterday and so far, enjoying it as much as the PS3 version. Controls better also by turning off drive-assist (which sucks and auto-uses boosts). Loadings are not as bad as expected and are shorter than WipEout (WipEout is still better in everything else).

And Super Stardust Delta so far also enjoying it as much as the PS3 version; which I really liked.

Wow just played the Madden demo, so disappointed; lags like hell. Haven't tried PS3 to compare, but this is not a good showing. Not sure why they even bothered, made me from wanting to get it for Vita to no way. Herky Jerky animations and camera stutters. Wondering if it's being shoehorned out, just to "have" it on all platforms as EA likes to boast.

Yopis

Well thanks for this link. Never seen it before :s
Of all the physics I hope they bring tactical defending to Vita cause the older defense engine is just a piece of crab compared to it.

Agree 1 TRILLION% also hope they give us option to play manual only online matches.

Sol1dus

And the backlog keeps growing! ("but vita has no games lolol").

Got Modnation yesterday and so far, enjoying it as much as the PS3 version. Controls better also by turning off drive-assist (which sucks and auto-uses boosts). Loadings are not as bad as expected and are shorter than WipEout (WipEout is still better in everything else).

And Super Stardust Delta so far also enjoying it as much as the PS3 version; which I really liked.

I'm glad you like it, Modnation is one of my most played Vita games.

Derrick01

Banned
Hey guys I'm currently arguing with myself over whether I want a Vita or 3DS this holiday season so I put together a list of the Vita games I'm interested in but what I need to know is whether they have any gimmicks like touch/motion (I assume they all do but I don't know) and, more importantly, if they can be turned completely off. Here are the games

Dynasty Warriors Next
Rayman Origins
Uncharted
Virtua Tennis
Madden 13

I don't know if Madden is out yet but I put it on there anyway. I left off some others that are coming out still like Assassin's Creed since we don't know about that stuff yet. Thanks in advance.

patsu

Hey guys I'm currently arguing with myself over whether I want a Vita or 3DS this holiday season so I put together a list of the Vita games I'm interested in but what I need to know is whether they have any gimmicks like touch/motion (I assume they all do but I don't know) and, more importantly, if they can be turned completely off. Here are the games

Dynasty Warriors Next
Rayman Origins nope
Uncharted yes
Virtua Tennis no
Madden 13

I don't know if Madden is out yet but I put it on there anyway. I left off some others that are coming out still like Assassin's Creed since we don't know about that stuff yet. Thanks in advance.

Only own 3 games out of the above 5.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE

Dynasty Warriors Next
Rayman Origins
Uncharted
Virtua Tennis
Madden 13

I don't know if Madden is out yet but I put it on there anyway. I left off some others that are coming out still like Assassin's Creed. Thanks in advance.
Rayman Origins uses touch for hidden items and allows you to touch bubbles to grab items that you would otherwise just run into in the console versions. You can still run into them, but it's much easier to just use the touch screen.

The Vita version of Virtua Tennis 4 has exclusive "VT Apps" which use the Vita's features and you can control the game with the touchscreen, but if you never want to use the touchscreen, you don't have to, and I've put a good thirty hours into the game and never once used it in the game proper.

Sol1dus

Dynasty Warriors Next
Rayman Origins
Uncharted
Virtua Tennis
Madden 13

I don't know if Madden is out yet but I put it on there anyway. I left off some others that are coming out still like Assassin's Creed. Thanks in advance.

You can find a bunch of 3DS(Eses?) for cheap ($100)on the BST thread. If I were you I would go with that and then wait until after the holidays. By then, Vita will have an even better lineup and maybe, just maybe, memory cards or the vitas themselves will have gone down in price.

patsu

Rayman Origins uses touch for hidden items and allows you to touch bubbles to grab items that you would otherwise just run into in the console versions. You can still run into them, but it's much easier to just use the touch screen.

The Vita version of Virtua Tennis 4 has exclusive "VT Apps" which use the Vita's features and you can control the game with the touchscreen, but if you never want to use the touchscreen, you don't have to, and I've put a good thirty hours into the game and never once used it in the game proper.

Yeah, I just play them like "normal" PS3 games. 8^P
Totally forgot about the touch to burst bubble gesture.

Derrick01

Banned
You can find a bunch of 3DS(Eses?) for cheap ($100)on the BST thread. If I were you I would go with that and then wait until after the holidays. By then, Vita will have an even better lineup and maybe, just maybe, memory cards or the vitas themselves will have gone down in price.

If I do get a 3DS it's going to be the new one coming out tomorrow I think. Vita's higher price including the memory stick is a factor I'm struggling with but it's such a better designed system and obviously stronger and that appeals to me too. I'm really nowhere near making a decision yet but thankfully I have a few months.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
If I do get a 3DS it's going to be the new one coming out tomorrow I think. Vita's higher price including the memory stick is a factor I'm struggling with but it's such a better designed system and obviously stronger and that appeals to me too. I'm really nowhere near making a decision yet but thankfully I have a few months.
Are there other Vita games you're interested besides those five? What 3DS games are you interested in? I was originally more excited about the 3DS than the Vita, but the 3DS' library never reached a point where it interested me, and after going a few months without any games, I ended up selling the system. The Vita's library obviously has a ways to go, but the Vita is much more in line with what I want my handhelds to be like in the future, and at the very least, it plays Virtua Tennis.

krpiper

Dynasty Warriors Next
Rayman Origins
Uncharted
Virtua Tennis
Madden 13

I loved Rayman and Virtua Tennis, and I thought Uncharted was okay (never played any of the others)

The madden demo felt blah for me, def going with the console version. The Vita version struggled with framerates

Derrick01

Banned
Are there other Vita games you're interested besides those five? What 3DS games are you interested in? I was originally more excited about the 3DS than the Vita, but the 3DS' library never reached a point where it interested me, and after going a few months without any games, I ended up selling the system. The Vita's library obviously has a ways to go, but the Vita is much more in line with what I want my handhelds to be like in the future, and at the very least, it plays Virtua Tennis.

I have a bigger list with 3DS, though it's been shortened a bit with castlevania and luigis mansion getting delayed, but what's making me think is that I'm asking myself will I actually enjoy the games that I put on the list. Like I have Kid Icarus on there but I don't normally do the whole rail shooter thing, and I have Mario 3d land on there but normally I'm tired of Mario. Will I finish it in 4 hours and never play it again? Those are the kinds of questions I'm dealing with.

Vita has less games for me right now and with the low sales it's unclear whether it will get a lot more, at least outside of Sony games. But they also have trophies and I love me some trophies!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I think the deadmau5 album is the worst (the ones with 'oids at the end of all the stage names. galaxanoids may be my arch-nemesis).

This is a good example of that damn level and the stress it causes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwSdepkRpVc
That level and the other ones from Deadmau5 weren't too bad for me, just a few mins each.

The one where you jump from spinning planet to planet, I had totally forgotten you could hold run to spin faster. I had nearly gotten it a few times at normal speed. Once I realized how to fast spin, got it on the next try.

kitzkozan

I have a bigger list with 3DS, though it's been shortened a bit with castlevania and luigis mansion getting delayed, but what's making me think is that I'm asking myself will I actually enjoy the games that I put on the list. Like I have Kid Icarus on there but I don't normally do the whole rail shooter thing, and I have Mario 3d land on there but normally I'm tired of Mario. Will I finish it in 4 hours and never play it again? Those are the kinds of questions I'm dealing with.

Vita has less games for me right now and with the low sales it's unclear whether it will get a lot more, at least outside of Sony games. But they also have trophies and I love me some trophies!

I already own a Vita and will probably be getting the new 3DS XL as well. :p My tastes are much more in line with the Vita thanks to superior hardware , controls and a selection of games which should be to my liking. The upcoming Psone classics, cross buy+play is just icing on the cake. It doesn't hurt to see the solid fighting game support for Vita which is one of my favorite genre as well. :] I am tempted by the XL because I know it will get more support and ultimately better sale.

dsigns1

That level and the other ones from Deadmau5 weren't too bad for me, just a few mins each.

The one where you jump from spinning planet to planet, I had totally forgotten you could hold run to spin faster. I had nearly gotten it a few times at normal speed. Once I realized how to fast spin, got it on the next try.

Same here. I kept running out of time until I figured that out.

Rasec

Yea, that's why I pegged it as the worst part of the game. Made a big mistake in essentially making it the trophy mode.

I kinda agree but some levels ask for more skill than 10%
I guess if the time limit wasn't so picky with could be 40% luck, 60% skill.

I usually die until the first sound shape is near me and then i try my luck but i guess you still need to have skill and know how to alternate very fast between normal/sticky blob and the fast one.

Same here. I kept running out of time until I figured that out.

Even with that, it wasn't enough -- my spawn patterns sucked that much.

The only other one I remember cursing badly was Event Horizon 1.

Quick

Banned
Finally got myself a Vita. I got an 8GB card and Uncharted with it, plus I took advantage of the free ModNation racers game download a few months ago, so that's 2 games already.

kitzkozan

Finally got myself a Vita. I got an 8GB card and Uncharted with it, plus I took advantage of the free ModNation racers game download a few months ago, so that's 2 games already.

I don't think ModNation (I'm guessing the free download is related to last year PSN welcome back program) is compatible with the Vita yet, as I tried to download or transfer it from my PS3 to no avail.

Edit: I did some research and it seems the incompatibility is related to the US/Canada store only which is quite strange lol.

kiyomi

I don't know why, but I cringe every time someone opts for anything less than 16gb. Seems like it just won't be enough...

Eh, if you only play a few games at a time then 8gb should be okay.

I'm glad I went to 16 though, from 4.

lol @ you guys complaining about Sound Shapes' death mode, I find the game difficult enough on normal mode! D:

Dynasty Warriors Next
Rayman Origins
Uncharted
Virtua Tennis
Madden 13

Uncharted has a lot of touch stuff but a lot of it can be ignored. For example melee you can just press square. The back touch for climbing ropes can be ignored and the touch climbing for walls can be ignored.

The ones you have to do are the swipes for QTEs. Personally I prefer this over button presses but you may not. You use touch for things like charcoal rubbings and cleaning relics which again I quite liked but you may not. The Only really crap one is the loosing your balance QTEs where you have to tilt to not fall. The arnt hard but the are annoying.

I don't think any of them ruin the game tho and I thought overall it was great.

From the Donk dynasty warriors just has the odd QTE and mini game bits that are touch screen. Most seems normal controls.

I don't know why, but I cringe every time someone opts for anything less than 16gb. Seems like it just won't be enough...

I got a 16 but I could get by on an 8. It depends on your buying plan. Il buy almost all vita games as physical but use my card for psn PSP and later ps mobile / psx games. Any I'm not currently playing I would back up to my PC.

However 16 gig is a much more comfortable level and gives me room for music and videos as well if needed.

Derrick01

Banned
Uncharted has a lot of touch stuff but a lot of it can be ignored. For example melee you can just press square. The back touch for climbing ropes can be ignored and the touch climbing for walls can be ignored.

The ones you have to do are the swipes for QTEs. Personally I prefer this over button presses but you may not. You use touch for things like charcoal rubbings and cleaning relics which again I quite liked but you may not. The Only really crap one is the loosing your balance QTEs where you have to tilt to not fall. The arnt hard but the are annoying.

I don't think any of them ruin the game tho and I thought overall it was great.

From the Donk dynasty warriors just has the odd QTE and mini game bits that are touch screen. Most seems normal controls.

Ugh I guess I'll be investing in a screen protector after all. Is there any preference as to which is the best kind?

I got a 16 but I could get by on an 8. It depends on your buying plan. Il buy almost all vita games as physical but use my card for psn PSP and later ps mobile / psx games. Any I'm not currently playing I would back up to my PC.

However 16 gig is a much more comfortable level and gives me room for music and videos as well if needed.

Maybe I'm too lazy, or I value bandwidth too much, but with 3 DD Vita games, 10 minis (which could probably mostly be deleted), 11 PSP games, and the WipEout 2048 DLC on the card, I'm sitting at 8gb. I don't know that I'd want to delete something like SSD, Motorstorm, or Sound Shapes to save space -- and a lot of my PSP games are like that too... the minis could go, but it'd still be dangerous on an 8gb. Then what happens when the crossbuy stuff starts in and you get digital copies of those games? The backing up and restoring and redownloading. Ugh. Yeah, that's probably why I cringe... just imagining running out of space; hell the 8gb card probably isn't even 8gb... my 32gb is only 29gb since they do the screwed up counting for the marketing of the product.

--

The Hori protector was cheaper than the official protectors and seems to be magnificent. Most people who use it seem to agree, I think.

zroid

Banned
Rayman Origins Vita has got to be the best version of the game. D-pad can't be beat and the touch controls are very useful, while being completely optional (unless your primary directive is to get trophies, but if so then you're an asshole).

And 2D platformers are always more fun on handhelds anyway, IMO.

gabbre

I wanted to buy Burnout and Tetris on the PSN but there aren't there. Are they continuing to add titles or they stopped?

My current Vita wishlist is:

NFS: Most Wanted
Warrior's Lair (Ruin)
Ragnarok Odyssey
New King's Story
Persona 4 Golden
AC: Liberation
Sine Mora

... I think that's about it for now. There's just so many games coming for it, I'm trying to limit myself to only get ones I absolutely want. Also, since the JP Vita thread is dead, has anyone played that weird bass fishing game with the moe characters? I was wondering if it's as bad as people on the JP thread said it was because.. I really want a fishing game on my Vita.

Dynasty Warriors Next
Rayman Origins
Uncharted
Virtua Tennis
Madden 13

I haven't played Virtua Tennis or Rayman on Vita(much, if not at all), so I can't comment much on those...

Dynasty Warriors Next is mostly straightforward button controls with movement on the analog and/or d-pad(forget which). However, it does have some things that include touch and gyro gimmicks. Mini-games that take place in the story mode or through challenges you get from other players online use this, but I believe the touch/gyro controls are optional for these. That leaves only one thing with forced touch controls, and these are "duels." When you come across a big boss character in each level, you start up a duel. Touch the screen to block(and parry), swipe to attack, and press + hold for a second or two to break their guard. It's very obviously tacked on but one you get the hang of it you can end it within a minute or two, or even a few seconds. Other than that, it really is just a Dynasty Warriors game with... I believe the largest roster yet.

Uncharted, being a launch title from a first party studio, has too many tacked on gimmicks. The melee and movement can be done with both touch and buttons, while there are numerous puzzles and QTEs that require you to use the touch screen(swipe, touch, spin, etc.). Then there's the gyro/motion controls. You can use the gyro controls to aim your guns, which some say it even works better than using the right analog stick, but you are also forced to use it to balance yourself on logs and whatnot(plus possibly more, I didn't beat it.) While this can be annoying(and it is!), I still feel the game is at least worth playing.

Not much to say on Madden other than I played the demo and didn't really enjoy it...

Maybe I'm too lazy, or I value bandwidth too much, but with 3 DD Vita games, 10 minis (which could probably mostly be deleted), 11 PSP games, and the WipEout 2048 DLC on the card, I'm sitting at 8gb. I don't know that I'd want to delete something like SSD, Motorstorm, or Sound Shapes to save space -- and a lot of my PSP games are like that too... the minis could go, but it'd still be dangerous on an 8gb. Then what happens when the crossbuy stuff starts in and you get digital copies of those games? The backing up and restoring and redownloading. Ugh. Yeah, that's probably why I cringe... just imagining running out of space; hell the 8gb card probably isn't even 8gb... my 32gb is only 29gb since they do the screwed up counting for the marketing of the product.

--

The Hori protector was cheaper than the official protectors and seems to be magnificent. Most people who use it seem to agree, I think.

Oh I agree as I upgraded from 8-16 as well. Just saying its doable. If your planing on cross play then sure it's even harder. I don't own a ps3 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom