• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaZero

Hey guys I'm currently arguing with myself over whether I want a Vita or 3DS this holiday season so I put together a list of the Vita games I'm interested in but what I need to know is whether they have any gimmicks like touch/motion (I assume they all do but I don't know) and, more importantly, if they can be turned completely off.

Dynasty Warriors Next has completely (or mostly) optional touch controls according to every review I've read, and all the touch based gimmicks we've seen so far in Assassin's Creed were confirmed to be optional. Dunno if you can turn them off, but you don't even have to use them to play the game "properly".

brentech

Just received my copies of Unit 13 and Uncharted:GA via Hastings sale. Now I have MGS2+3 and these new games to play. Vita backlog stacking up.

Mileena

Banned
Hey guys I'm currently arguing with myself over whether I want a Vita or 3DS this holiday season so I put together a list of the Vita games I'm interested in but what I need to know is whether they have any gimmicks like touch/motion (I assume they all do but I don't know) and, more importantly, if they can be turned completely off. Here are the games

Dynasty Warriors Next
Rayman Origins
Uncharted
Virtua Tennis
Madden 13

I don't know if Madden is out yet but I put it on there anyway. I left off some others that are coming out still like Assassin's Creed since we don't know about that stuff yet. Thanks in advance.

The only game in your list that is brought down by gimmicks is Uncharted. Virtua Tennis is seriously awesome and tour mode is great for short bursts with sleep mode. I'd say only try Uncharted for cheap, because I love 2 and 3 but GA was just complete shit to me. Definitely felt like a B game as opposed to the AAA console entries.

Derrick01

Banned
i use the official kind you can pick up at most stores and i haven't had any issues. relatively easy to install, too.

Oh that's nice to see. Usually the official accessories are kinda crap. I just don't want to end up with some crap screen protector that messes with the image quality on that amazing screen. The last time I used something like that was years ago on one of the game boys though so the tech was probably not as good. It always made the screen extra glossy and plastic looking.

I haven't played Virtua Tennis or Rayman on Vita(much, if not at all), so I can't comment much on those...

Dynasty Warriors Next is mostly straightforward button controls with movement on the analog and/or d-pad(forget which). However, it does have some things that include touch and gyro gimmicks. Mini-games that take place in the story mode or through challenges you get from other players online use this, but I believe the touch/gyro controls are optional for these. That leaves only one thing with forced touch controls, and these are "duels." When you come across a big boss character in each level, you start up a duel. Touch the screen to block(and parry), swipe to attack, and press + hold for a second or two to break their guard. It's very obviously tacked on but one you get the hang of it you can end it within a minute or two, or even a few seconds. Other than that, it really is just a Dynasty Warriors game with... I believe the largest roster yet.

Uncharted, being a launch title from a first party studio, has too many tacked on gimmicks. The melee and movement can be done with both touch and buttons, while there are numerous puzzles and QTEs that require you to use the touch screen(swipe, touch, spin, etc.). Then there's the gyro/motion controls. You can use the gyro controls to aim your guns, which some say it even works better than using the right analog stick, but you are also forced to use it to balance yourself on logs and whatnot(plus possibly more, I didn't beat it.) While this can be annoying(and it is!), I still feel the game is at least worth playing.

Not much to say on Madden other than I played the demo and didn't really enjoy it...

The only game in your list that is brought down by gimmicks is Uncharted. Virtua Tennis is seriously awesome and tour mode is great for short bursts with sleep mode. I'd say only try Uncharted for cheap, because I love 2 and 3 but GA was just complete shit to me. Definitely felt like a B game as opposed to the AAA console entries.

Yeah uncharted looked like it was full of gimmick crap during previews and demos. I'm glad most of it can be turned off. As for dynasty warriors it's too bad you can't turn duels off, that sounds so bad and boring.

Rayman Origins Vita has got to be the best version of the game. D-pad can't be beat and the touch controls are very useful, while being completely optional (unless your primary directive is to get trophies, but if so then you're an asshole).

And 2D platformers are always more fun on handhelds anyway, IMO.

There is no co-op on the Vita version, is there?

Also, the 360/PS3/PC version can be found for like $15, or maybe even less, nowadays.

Rasec

Ok, i'm suffering so much on the level Galaxanoids! T_T
my eyes even started to cry with all the focus and retry.
Example of the suffering this level is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwSdepkRpVc

Ok, or i quit doing those death levels because if i insist in doing them probably after i won't pick the game ever again, or i keep pushing myself in doing them. xD

xJavonta

Banned
Can you map the second analogue stick to something in PSP games on the Vita? I think I've heard that you can but I'm not sure.

Or maybe that certain PSP games take advantage of the additional analogue stick while others don't. Any clarification would be nice.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I don't know why, but I cringe every time someone opts for anything less than 16gb. Seems like it just won't be enough...

I cringe harder when people go 16-32 due to price.

I have the 4gb I got in my used deal and don't see myself ever getting more storage unless Sony cuts prices by 75%+ or there is an r4 style hacked solution where I won't be gouged to hell and back on memory.

ZeroAKA

Hey guys I'm currently arguing with myself over whether I want a Vita or 3DS this holiday season so I put together a list of the Vita games I'm interested in but what I need to know is whether they have any gimmicks like touch/motion (I assume they all do but I don't know) and, more importantly, if they can be turned completely off.
It's strange that so many people here mentioned Dynasty Warriors having optional touch screen controls because that definitely wasn't how I remembered. There are many touch-screen and gyro-based minigames scattered all throughout the game. While buttons and analog sticks can be used in conjunction with such control methods, there is no way to completely avoid touching the screen. At the end of each level, there is a touchscreen-only "duel" that acts as a boss battle of sorts. The duel itself isn't difficult, but the ridiculous HP of enemies on higher difficulties causes the battle to drag for way too long.

Just to be clear, I enjoyed Dynasty Warriors Next. It's definitely one of the more gimmicky Vita games though IMO.

Edit: Somehow missed The Grim Heaper's post, but that sounds about right.

Kazzy

Can you map the second analogue stick to something in PSP games on the Vita? I think I've heard that you can but I'm not sure.

Or maybe that certain PSP games take advantage of the additional analogue stick while others don't. Any clarification would be nice.

You can, but the implementation is really wierd. When you're playing a PSP game, press the screen for a couple of seconds and you'll be given a menu, in which you can map the stick to various functions.

xJavonta

Banned
I cringe harder when people go 16-32 due to price.

I have the 4gb I got in my used deal and don't see myself ever getting more storage unless Sony cuts prices by 75%+ or there is an r4 style hacked solution where I won't be gouged to hell and back on memory.
You don't get many DD games do you? With my PSP I often found myself looking for higher capacity cards. Highest I ever had was a 4GB and it NEVER held enough stuff.

You can, but the implementation is really wierd. When you're playing a PSP game, press the screen for a couple of seconds and you'll be given a menu, in which you can map the stick to various functions.
Like the PSP's PS1 emulator thing? Alright sounds good, thanks a lot!

OmegaZero

Hold a finger on the touch screen to access the PSP emulator controls.
Among them will be mapping options, IIRC.

EDIT: Beaten like a baby seal.

Kazerei

Banned
I finally finished Gravity Rush. Had to sort of force myself through it, only to see an unsatisfying end. Meh.

I enjoyed the platforming aspect of the game. My favorite episode was the one where you don't get to control gravity, but there are markers you step into to change gravity to a certain direction. Some really good puzzle platforming there. Being able to fly around town is damn cool.

It's too bad the game has a heavier emphasis on combat. The game mechanic just doesn't lend itself well to 3D aerial combat, since you only get to fly in straight lines. It's also not easy to keep track of where enemies are; the off-screen markers don't help much.

The controls are pretty loose too. It's hard to land on a narrow strip, because momentum usually sends you sliding off, and the game doesn't readily detect edge grabbing. I'd much prefer if evading was a button instead of screen flick. That probably would've made combat feel smoother.

And the camera could be improved. I found myself tapping down on the D-pad to reset the camera quite often, because it would keep rotating when I just want it to stay still. It's also a bit janky at times. Even just running up some stairs can cause it to hiccup.

Neat idea, poor execution.

zroid

Banned
GR has such a cool idea, and Kat is such a cool character, it would really be a shame if this ends up being a one-trick pony. If they refocus the game design and improve the controls, I could see myself getting really hyped for a Gravity Rush 2.

I finally finished Gravity Rush. Had to sort of force myself through it, only to see an unsatisfying end. Meh.

I enjoyed the platforming aspect of the game. My favorite episode was the one where you don't get to control gravity, but there are markers you step into to change gravity to a certain direction. Some really good puzzle platforming there. Being able to fly around town is damn cool.

It's too bad the game has a heavier emphasis on combat. The game mechanic just doesn't lend itself well to 3D aerial combat, since you only get to fly in straight lines. It's also not easy to keep track of where enemies are; the off-screen markers don't help much.

The controls are pretty loose too. It's hard to land on a narrow strip, because momentum usually sends you sliding off, and the game doesn't readily detect edge grabbing. I'd much prefer if evading was a button instead of screen flick. That probably would've made combat feel smoother.

And the camera could be improved. I found myself tapping down on the D-pad to reset the camera quite often, because it would keep rotating when I just want it to stay still. It's also a bit janky at times. Even just running up some stairs can cause it to hiccup.

Neat idea, poor execution.

It's def hit and miss with whether people loved it or not. I personally loved it but I most enjoyed exploring find gems and the time travellers. I can imagine if you felt the main focus to be the combat you would be disappointed but that wasn't the case with me.

Takao

Banned
aw ew when did you get back

VExlh.png

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I saw you in a Power Rangers thread and I thought I was hallucinating. Is this the real Takao?

Also, I've always been amazed that lunchwithyuzo is tagged as Nintendo's Takao, but you're not tagged as anything.

Takao

Banned
I saw you in a Power Rangers thread and I thought I was hallucinating. Is this the real Takao?

Also, I've always been amazed that lunchwithyuzo is tagged as Nintendo's Takao, but you're not tagged as anything.

Only tag I get is "Banned". Thankfully it's never permanent.

to keep this on-topic because of you two (sheesh) EDIT: three now come on

I'm eying Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus because it's 22 on Gamefly and I have a $5 off coupon, but I might hold back due to the amount of games I already have(and am getting)...

"Sony's lunchwithyuzo" doesn't work.

Kyon

Banned
*Looks around thread frantically* TAKAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! <33333333333333

GrizzNKev

Banned
This thread is such a circle jerk.

Didn't I tell you yesterday to stop changing your avatar? And yes it is a circle jerk, would you like to join? I'm a newly inducted Sony fanboy. I love my Vita so much and Gamescom was so amazing that I just bought a PS3.

Takao

Banned
oh i guess this is a proper reintroduction:

qAEyI.jpg

After 10,000 years (three weeks) I'm free!
Time to conquer Earth (GAF)!

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Didn't I tell you yesterday to stop changing your avatar? And yes it is a circle jerk, would you like to join? I'm a newly inducted Sony fanboy. I love my Vita so much and Gamescom was so amazing that I just bought a PS3.
I know, but this is the last time, I swear. :(

I'm not even a major Sony fan, but I've somehow managed to sell all of my consoles except for my Vita and PS3 (and my Dreamcast, if that counts), so for all intents and purposes, I guess I'm a Sony fanboy too.

whitehawk

Banned
And the backlog keeps growing! ("but vita has no games lolol").

Got Modnation yesterday and so far, enjoying it as much as the PS3 version. Controls better also by turning off drive-assist (which sucks and auto-uses boosts). Loadings are not as bad as expected and are shorter than WipEout (WipEout is still better in everything else).

And Super Stardust Delta so far also enjoying it as much as the PS3 version; which I really liked.
Why would anyone buy Modnation racers? That abysmal framerate turned me off completely.

Just bought Virtua Tennis though. Not a bad game, and amazing visuals. Even though the cutscenes are like 20fps.

fernoca

Why would anyone buy Modnation racers? That abysmal framerate turned me off completely.

Just bought Virtua Tennis though. Not a bad game, and amazing visuals. Even though the cutscenes are like 20fps.

Well, I'm no "framerate guy" (unless it severely drops and makes it unplayable..and no such thing in the game, yet).
And I happened to enjoy the PS3 version, so for $20..why not?

Been playing it all day too.

Only dissapointing aspect to me is that this song is not in the game. :( (unless is hidden or something)

OmegaZero

Awesome, Takao's back.
Whoever that is.
;)

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus most likely won't be worth it unless you enjoy difficult games/awesome action games with retarded stories.

M.W.

I actually like The Show on Vita. I know it gets some hate round these parts, but it fills my baseball needs.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
This thread is a ban magnet.

Is there any way to turn off the notifications telling me when people are online and when the Liveareas have refreshed?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Reading comprehension fail yet again on my part. Damn it. Maybe... System -> Auto-Start Settings?
That allows me to set the LiveArea to not auto-refresh, which is fine for the video app, but I'd like it to refresh the Store app.

Oh well. I guess I'll just always know when you're online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom