• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still need to play a Phantasy Star game, so that's why I can't make that comparison. ):
If you want to play the classic Phantasy Star games you could pick up Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for the 360/PS3. It has all four mainline games and having save states might make the experience less frustrating. There is also the Sega Genesis Collection for the PSP which contains Phantasy Star II, III, and IV.

Takao

Banned
If you want to play the classic Phantasy Star games you could pick up Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for the 360/PS3. It has all four mainline games and having save states might make the experience less frustrating. There is also the Sega Genesis Collection for the PSP which contains Phantasy Star II, III, and IV.

No point really. SEGA's never going to make another classic Phantasy Star.

Sid

Is the psp sega collection playable on vita?does it look good?i really want to play golden axe 1-3,sor 1-3 and sonic 1-3 on it

Kazerei

Banned
I actually prefer Phantasy Star (the modern ARPGs) over Monster Hunter. It just feels like a more straightforward hack-n-slash, with more loot and faster pace. I'm looking forward to seeing how Ragnarok Odyssey turns out.

Carl

I started with the intention of buying mainly retail, with the occasional download. So far, i have mostly bought download. Only own 3 carts. LittleBigPlanet, PSABR etc will more than likely all bw digital too.

Lucent

I got the Japanese link for the P4G vita wallpapers that come with the pre-order decal if anyone is interested. I think it's okay to post, right? Guy on youtube zoomed in on the decal packaging so others could get the wallpapers. Not sure if it would actually go against any rules since it's just Atlus' Japanese site.

beason52

Neo Member
If you must store all the games on the Vita, sure, but once I platinum a game I just move it to my PC. I own over 10 games on PSN and I'm doing fine with an 8Gb card.

First of all I've never platinumed a game...if I get the desire to play a game I don't want to have to redownload it or go to my laptop.. That's why I think havin both physical and digital versions is a great thing; nobody plays games the same and both have their advantages

branny

On the topic of Ragnarok Odyssey, it's hard to compare to most other hunting games. You're very mobile and agile, and air combat and dashing are also very effective. You can juggle weakened enemies for a lot of damage (think FFXIII's staggering) or send them flying off into the distance, Otogi-style. There's a heavy focus on combo enders to get different effects (launching, etc.), sort of like Dynasty Warriors. Other class-specific things like healing and parry/counter/just defending with Acolytes, for example, also exist. Lastly, there is a tension system indicated by the crystal you see in screenshots that is kind of like a passive boost you manage. The better you do in battle, the more effective you become (higher damage, more crits). If you start sucking, it'll go back down (getting hit or knocked down, I think). It will also fully revert after you use up your SP bar to go into the game's berserk mode (a temporary but major boost in character performance that removes stamina consumption and gives you higher damage and faster attacks). You'll need to balance both for the right situations or character setup.

That brings me to the next major difference: one of the nicest things about Ragnarok Odyssey is how modifiable your character is with monster cards (inspired by the system in Ragnarok Online that allows you to socket rare cards into slotted equipment for all sorts of bonuses). You can make it so certain animations are quicker (say, instead of being able to air dash three times before you hit the ground, you can reduce air dash recovery and do like five) or give yourself class-specific enhancements (ex. assassin can learn double attack, giving every slash a chance of striking twice) or alter a whole bunch of other things to suit your individual playstyle.

All things considered, I'd say it's closer to recent Kingdom Hearts titles regarding pace and auxiliary tinkering while your attacks stem from a slightly more advanced version of the combo charts you see in Musou games. It's definitely packaged in a structure familiar to fans of MH and PSO along with a few of their influences sprinkled in; it's just really different. MH is a lot slower and less freewheeling, and PSO/PSP is quicker yet requires a more restrained, rhythmic style of play for maximum efficiency.

Hag

I got the Japanese link for the P4G vita wallpapers that come with the pre-order decal if anyone is interested. I think it's okay to post, right? Guy on youtube zoomed in on the decal packaging so others could get the wallpapers. Not sure if it would actually go against any rules since it's just Atlus' Japanese site.

Link plz =o

Victory! ^_^

Ucywl.jpg

That was fun actually.

Raoh

Treasure Park trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpnUDBwvBhk

yay for things that have no conceivable release date

They should be. But we dunno yet.

Seems cool, but it has no identity.

If this is exclusive and it has a play/create/share theme it should have been given the LBP treatment/umbrella. LBP games etc

As is how does this separate itself from the pack of mini games world in the public eye.

Even for a free game it will be poorly market and downloaded.

Download for free and/or bundle it with LBP Games purchases.

Vitacat

Also those splotches are hilarious, I hope they never go away. It's like looking at a Rorschach test.

Guess I'll find out what they are like tomorrow.

Honestly, I'm really nervous about getting a bad screen. I can be anal about defects... Worried I might get a Vita with bad blotches and lines. *sigh*

kewlmyc

Guys, I'm getting tired of playing P3P over and over again. I need a new RPG that can last me until October when more Vita games come out. It's a mixup between Ys: The oath in Felghana, Ys Seven, and The 3rd Birthday. Which do you guys recommend?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Guys, I'm getting tired of playing P3P over and over again. I need a new RPG that can last me until October when more Vita games come out. It's a mixup between Ys: The oath in Felghana, Ys Seven, and The 3rd Birthday. Which do you guys recommend?

Both of the Ys games, they're both on the short side.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I haven't played The 3rd Birthday, so I can only talk about Ys, and while The Oath in Felghana is one of my favorite games, Ys Seven is definitely longer and has more of a chance to hold you over until October (or if you're like me and dislike it, it could hold you over for a year). Quite a few people like Seven though, and if you want something lengthy, it's your best bet of the two, so I'd recommend it. Just make sure you play Oath in Felghana soon.

Famassu

Well, I doubt it would be different ones. What we are wondering WHICH of the ones that are on PSN will be compatible come Tuesday (since it won't be all of them).
The press release says "over a hundred" and looking at the list someone (I forget who, sorry!) compiled of all the PS1 releases of the US PS Store, it didn't really even look like there are more than maybe 130 games there. So they might have MOST of the games working, and only some not working due to licensing issues or whatnot.

Iacobellis

Honestly, I'm really nervous about getting a bad screen. I can be anal about defects... Worried I might get a Vita with bad blotches and lines. *sigh*

My launch day FEB has the dark spots and lines, but they are only very noticeable when playing in the dark. I keep my brightness at a little below half and they aren't easily seen.

branny

Hmm, all three of those choices are a lot more...interactive...than P3P is. The Ys games are very action-oriented for RPGs (I'd actually consider Felghana more akin to a Zelda than anything else), and The 3rd Birthday's mission structure makes it easy to pick up and play.

Go with whichever looks most appealing to you (after some YouTube research, of course), though having all three isn't a bad idea. I'm not the biggest fan of The 3rd Birthday, but even that is preferable to driving myself insane clearing P3P ad nauseam. Surely if you can squeeze that much out of P3P, you'll have no difficulty replaying any of these assuming you like them just as much.

If you're just looking to kill time (and don't necessarily need an RPG), the PSP and Vita actually have a great library of grindy, 100+ hour games beyond the three you've expressed interest in.

gonna cross post this from the Miku topic incase any of you can help and don't check that topic

So I finally save up enough to pre-order Project Diva f and the accessory set only to find out the game sold out today on amiami and other sites. :lol

Any of you guys know where I can buy it for a reasonable price or am I shit out of luck? Importing to the US, if it helps.

TehOh

Gravity Rush is so good, so so good. It may actually be the first game I platinum (on PS3 or Vita, though there are a couple of PS3 games that I'm close to).

Is the DLC worth getting?

Define "reasonable price." NCSX has them for $175.

I swear, I have the weirdest sense of deja vu, and I feel like I've already posted this.

Well, I was gonna order from AmiAmi which would have come to around $122-$150 w/ taxes and shipping, but the non-pre order bonus version is sold out(~$77) while the one that has it(~$89) is still available. If I really have to, I'll spend the extra $10 for an item I don't really need.

It can't hurt to refresh Play-Asia every day. I think their stock for the accessory set is still available to pre-order.
They do, but it's a little more expensive than a few other places. If I can get the set and game, though, it'd be good. :p

Skyzard

Banned

As others have said it is only noticeable in the dark AND when there is nothing but black on the screen (fadeout). Perhaps in a lowly lit room during the day with the brightness low. Otherwise you shouldn't notice them. I'm usually very picky with my screen production quality as well but it's really nothing to worry about. I don't even notice it but I did on the first day! Got to quickly compare it with my friends one (who at first, over the phone - was like nah no problems - while looking at it. Had to show it to him..probably shouldn't have but he got me pretty freaked). Screen is so good.

Good job with the platinum CecilMcW00t

kewlmyc, I agree with Branny about 3rd Birthday (after also youtubing and reading reviews+opinions). It doesn't even really seem like much of an rpg but more of an atmospheric shooter. So probably not exactly what you are looking for, worth watching some vids yourself of course.

I'm just waiting for GR DLC to go on sale in a pack, haven't even finished the main game -recently found myself just loading old saves and going gem hunting for 10 minutes a time!

brainpann

I dont know if I can recommend the The 3rd Birthday. While the combat is fun and challenging, I feel like i am missing out on something in the story, having not played PE1 or 2. The nice thing about playing it on the Vita, though, is the ability to map the camera to the right stick. If I was playing this on the PSP, I would be annoyed very quick.

That reminds me, has anyone tried Coded Arms on the Vita? I remember liking it but hating the controls. Sorta thinking about picking it up again and playing on teh Vita.

leroidys

I'm going for the platinum in WipEout 2048. So far it's not too hard, but I can NOT get an Elite pass on an A+ hidden challenge. Which one did those of you that did it find the easiest?

Akito

Gravity Rush is so good, so so good. It may actually be the first game I platinum (on PS3 or Vita, though there are a couple of PS3 games that I'm close to).

Is the DLC worth getting?
I've just platinum'd it, great great game overall. I've also played the Military Pack DLC, which was a pre order bonus and it was fun, the two story missions seem like they could have been cut out from the main story, no filler material here. One of the 2 challenges was pretty neat as well. So I decided to buy the other 2 DLCs as well, the prices are a little steep but it's a way to support the Japan Studio.
Also 78% is an eyesore lol

Raine

I'm going for the platinum in WipEout 2048. So far it's not too hard, but I can NOT get an Elite pass on an A+ hidden challenge. Which one did those of you that did it find the easiest?

It was plain plain luck for me. Getting a lot of 'auto-pilots' helped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom