• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a random thought for the day, but I bought PDP grips today which were, to my surprise, actually at my local Best Buy.

I heard good things about them so I figured why the hell not... put them on (which was super easy) and starting playing. Wow, they are awesome. Makes long play a lot more comfortable. The Vita is remarkably comfortable as is, but the grips just add that extra comfort. Really happy with it!

Skyzard

Banned
Glad another vita is in a grip (as it should be :p ). Btw did they sort the issue with the marks being left on the triggers by the pdp case? I think people were saying to put down tape or something to protect it but I never did get round to picking one up to see for myself.

fernoca

Even with no videos, you're going to find it tough depending on the games you like to play? Want to play anything that's PSN only? Want to download the WipEout 2048 content? Have a couple PSP games you always wanted to play? Have fun fitting the majority of that on a 4gb card.
Well, no problems here...yet. Though I got mine for free along Resistance, so no biggie. :p

At the moment I have 5 retail games, and with 4GB also have:
-WipEout HD/Fury addons
-Super Stardust Delta (+ DLC)
-Motorstorm RC
-Killzone Liberation (PSP game)
-Treasures of Montezuma
-LiveTweet

An still have 1.1GB free.

I know I'll upgrade at some point (will jump directly to 32GB), and have over a dozen PSP games waiting and a few PSone games too; but I'm in no rush to play them as I got the Vita mostly for Vita games, everything else is just bonus. After all, with 32GB knowing me, I'll just download all PSP and PSone games I have on my download list...even when I won't play them ever or just for a few secs to see them on the Vita screen. XD

Granted, I'm all for digital, but been "retail" at the moment has granted me a free Resistance, a $10 Mortal Kombat, $20 WipEout...so no rush. :p

screenshot_277520_thumb_wide620.jpg

Looking to add a FIFA Vita player as a friend so we can play online and both get the 'Good Form' trophy (play five consecutive online head-to-head ranked matches without losing). Players keep quitting on me and quits reset the five match count; very annoying. I'm not even good :)

PM me; we can work out the details. I can help with other FIFA trophies if need be.

Grit your teeth and keep playing. You are not too far away from the story and game getting really good.

I never felt that it got any more engaging, but your mileage may vary.

'Course, you won't know if it gets more interesting for you without slogging through it.

Lol I've played 20 hours so il def give it some more time, however p3p is rather fun so it may have to take a back seat for a while first.

Shame it takes sooooo long for the story to truly kick off (if it even does for me) persona is pretty gripping from the get go.

I actually copied down all of the NA Store's PSOne offerings along with their prices today. I think it's more convenient to read than the Wikipedia list(s). It's pretty long, so quote this post to see it.

first you said you made over 1000 wallpapers for your vita and now this

you have too much time on yours hands branny

but thanks

Takao

Banned
It's a shame SNK is weak, and the sales of the platform haven't been good. I so would've bought KoF XIII, and SNK seemed pretty interested in giving me it. :(

branny

Maybe releasing KoF2k2UM for PSN and Vita will be more feasible than a KoFXIII port. I'd actually be more okay with that.

edit:
It needs more fighters in general. Full-featured portable DOA5, TTT2 and VF5:FS would be absolute heaven.
I'd die on the spot. We already have UMvC3. Add in a Vita version of Arcana Heart 3, the newest BlazBlue, and P4A, and I'd be indescribably happy.

Maybe releasing KoF2k2UM for PSN and Vita will be more feasible than a KoFXIII port. I'd actually be more okay with that.

edit:

I'd die on the spot. We already have UMvC3. Add in a Vita version of Arcana Heart 3, the newest BlazBlue, and P4A, and I'd be indescribably happy.

A quality TTT2 is all I really want, I think.
I'm already pretty happy with UMvC3 and MK9.
I kind of wish I had them digitally though... I hate switching carts.

Which reminds me, Capcpcom needs to have a sale on UMvC3 content (costumes) on PSN.

Roto13

If I copy my save data and stuff to my computer/a PS3/whatever, format my memory card, and later stick my save data back on the Vita, will I be able to get trophies with it?

If I copy my save data and stuff to my computer/a PS3/whatever, format my memory card, and later stick my save data back on the Vita, will I be able to get trophies with it?

I believe you should. I don't see why not. The backup should be the exact same thing you had on the vita before format.

omg 2k2um omgomgomg

That's on PS3 PSN, right? I bought it on Xbox because I play fighters on that but I'd totally buy a Vita version.
Branny is a Vita fan. Not the Vita fan we deserved but the Vita fan we needed. Nothing less than a knight. Shining.
Shines so bright I'm getting a glare. Want to move over a bit, branny? Sheesh.

I caved and got Harvest Moon: Boy & Girl. I wasn't completely sure how the port of Back to Nature was, but I can confidently say it's perfect. If anyone is looking to scratch that dating/farming sim itch on their Vita, GET IT!! It's half off! Totally worth it, one of my favorite games of all time, it's super deep and rewarding.

Ran rp

I actually copied down all of the NA Store's PSOne offerings along with their prices today. The list is pretty long, so quote this post to see it.

I have alla deese:

Castlevania Chronicles 5.99
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 9.99
CHRONO TRIGGER (DS version) 9.99
FINAL FANTASY VI 9.99
Metal Gear Solid 9.99
Rayman 2: The Great Escape 5.99

I want alla deese:

CHRONO CROSS 9.99
Um Jammer Lammy 5.99

And maybe alla deese:

Parasite Eve 5.99
Parasite Eve II 5.99
R4 Ridge Racer Type 4 5.99
Tomba! 9.99
Xenogears (Is the second half/disc really that bad?) 9.99

Are there any games you guys recommend?

Vitacat

I loved the PSP tekkens. Especially dark resurrection. So good.

I am praying we get a new tekken for vita, and a complete, well programmed one. I also like doa, and would happily take that as well.

Praying vita sales start turning around so we get more big titles in the future. I just bought one and a bunch of games, so I've done my part.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
PSY・S;41413721 said:
Are there any games you guys recommend?
Suikoden and Klonoa are both excellent, and if you like SRPGs, you can't go wrong with Front Mission 3. I'll probably pick up Tomba! myself, and maybe Symphony of the Night too, just so I can replay it on the Vita.

Ran rp

Suikoden and Klonoa are both excellent, and if you like SRPGs, you can't go wrong with Front Mission 3. I'll probably pick up Tomba! myself, and maybe Symphony of the Night too, just so I can replay it on the Vita.

Klonoa looks interesting, and how is Front Mission 3 for someone who hasn't played many SRPGS. I was going to get Tactics Orge for PSP but might try this out instead since it's cheaper.

Since SotN is $10, wouldn't you be better off getting Bloodlines for PSP and getting SotN plus the remade Bloodlines (and the original) for $15?

I've narrowed down games I don't own for PSX classics to the following list:

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain 5.99
BREATH OF FIRE IV 5.99
CHRONO CROSS 9.99
CHRONO TRIGGER 9.99
FINAL FANTASY VII 9.99
FINAL FANTASY VIII 9.99
FINAL FANTASY IX 9.99
Jet Moto 2 5.99
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile 5.99
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 5.99
Metal Gear Solid 9.99
Parasite Eve 5.99
Pocket Fighter 5.99
Tomba! 9.99
Twisted Metal 2 5.99
Xenogears 9.99

--

I'd tell PSY-S to get the R-Type games, but you can't buy them anymore. Very glad I bought them through PSP Media Go the last day they were up.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
PSY・S;41414002 said:
Klonoa looks interesting, and how is Front Mission 3 for someone who hasn't played many SRPGS. I was going to get Tactics Orge for PSP but might try this out instead since it's cheaper.
Klonoa's absolutely awesome. I wasn't too crazy about the game's mechanics when I saw videos, but it's incredibly charming and has some incredibly well done levels and bosses. I can't wait to get back into it.

I haven't played too many SRPGs outside of Advance Wars and Tactics Ogre, and I didn't get very far into Front Mission 3, so I'm probably not the best to ask, but I thought it was rather enjoyable, and the game didn't seem particularly difficult. It might become harder as the game progresses, but what I played was challenging enough to keep my attention without making me grow irritated. I've heard some people call Front Mission 3's story the weakest of the series, but I haven't played other Front Mission games, and I personally enjoyed what I played of the story, and especially liked the presentation.

Since SotN is $10, wouldn't you be better off getting Bloodlines for PSP and getting SotN plus the remade Bloodlines (and the original) for $15?

I didn't care much for Dracula X when I played the game on PSP, and I thought that Symphony of the Night might look and play better through the PS1 emulator, rather than being emulated through the PSP game and then blown up to the PSP's resolution.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 5.99
Have you played Soul Reaver before?

Have you played Soul Reaver before?

For all of the demo, I think. I wasn't entirely sold on the game back then, but everyone hails it as a classic it seems, so for $6, I thought it might be worthwhile.
I kind of want blood omen again, as I had that game for my PSX and got stuck somewhere and couldn't figure out where to go next. This was back in the days BEFORE the internet, so I couldn't just hop on and go check gamefaqs -- I think I traded it out of frustration before the internet came along and I've always wished I could go back and replay it and finish it.

For the record here:
Played and finished:
Chrono Chross
Chrono Trigger (though the PSOne version, unless I have it free from PS+, had such horrible load times I won't buy it)
FF7-9
MGS
PE

Played at least a demo or other games in the franchise:
Jet Moto
Breath of Fire (I played at least BoF and BoF II on the SNES, I think)
Blood Omen
Soul Reaver (demo)

Never played:
Xenogears
Pocket Fighter
Tomba!
Klonoa
Twisted Metal

Ran rp

You should get Ridge Racer 4 right now.

That's what I was going to do when I got the Vita but the PSOne support never came so I got Ridge Racer PSP instead. I'll probably get it still.

I'd tell PSY-S to get the R-Type games, but you can't buy them anymore. Very glad I bought them through PSP Media Go the last day they were up.

I was considering it before they went down for good but decided against it since I don't play shmups very often.

Klonoa's absolutely awesome. I wasn't too crazy about the game's mechanics when I saw videos, but it's incredibly charming and has some incredibly well done levels and bosses. I can't wait to get back into it.

I haven't played too many SRPGs outside of Advance Wars and Tactics Ogre, and I didn't get very far into Front Mission 3, so I'm probably not the best to ask, but I thought it was rather enjoyable, and the game didn't seem particularly difficult. It might become harder as the game progresses, but what I played was challenging enough to keep my attention without making me grow irritated. I've heard some people call Front Mission 3's story the weakest of the series, but I haven't played other Front Mission games, and I personally enjoyed what I played of the story, and especially liked the presentation.

Sounds good. I'll check it out once I blow through most of my backlog.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
For all of the demo, I think. I wasn't entirely sold on the game back then, but everyone hails it as a classic it seems, so for $6, I thought it might be worthwhile.
I read that the game's a classic too, so I bought it off PSN, and when I discovered that it doesn't play well on the PSP (the game makes use of R2 and L2, and I hate using the analog nub as a replacement), I bought the game on Dreamcast, which is supposedly the best system for the game. I didn't play console games in the PS1 era, so you might have fondness that I don't, but I found the combat and world rather boring. Nothing about the game stood out to me, and the Zelda-esque save system was the last straw.

I read that the game's a classic too, so I bought it off PSN, and when I discovered that it doesn't play well on the PSP (the game makes use of R2 and L2, and I hate using the analog nub as a replacement), I bought the game on Dreamcast, which is supposedly the best system for the game. I didn't play console games in the PS1 era, so you might have fondness that I don't, but I found the combat and world rather boring. Nothing about the game stood out to me, and the Zelda-esque save system was the last straw.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I mean, I recall not being impressed, though I've always liked Kain and Raziel as characters.

What do you mean by "Zelda-esque" save system?
I've played a lot of Zelda games and heard people bitch about save systems before, but I don't ever recall someone hating on Zelda because of it? (Dead Rising, yes. Zelda, no. :p)

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Yeah, that sounds about right. I mean, I recall not being impressed, though I've always liked Kain and Raziel as characters.

What do you mean by "Zelda-esque" save system?
I've played a lot of Zelda games and heard people bitch about save systems before, but I don't ever recall someone hating on Zelda because of it?
My deep shame is that I haven't played a Zelda game outside of Oracle of Ages and the two DS games, so while I don't hate the series, I'm certainly not a fan. Zelda-esque in that similarly to how saving in the middle of a Zelda dungeon takes you back to the beginning of the dungeon, saving in Soul Reaver takes you back to the spirit world (or whatever the game calls it), so you then need to go back, find a portal to the actual world, and go through the same rooms to resume where you were from your last save. And as somebody who didn't care for the combat, it became tedious really quickly.

Klonoa and Tomba!
Platformer heaven.

Rayman Origins has a bone to pick with you, friend.

My deep shame is that I haven't played a Zelda game outside of Oracle of Ages and the two DS games, so while I don't hate the series, I'm certainly not a fan. Zelda-esque in that similarly to how saving in the middle of a Zelda dungeon takes you back to the beginning of the dungeon, saving in Soul Reaver takes you back to the spirit world (or whatever the game calls it), so you then need to go back, find a portal to the actual world, and go through the same rooms to resume where you were from your last save. And as somebody who didn't care for the combat, it became tedious really quickly.

Ahh -- based on your other comments, is it safe to assume you're a whippersnapper?
GET OFF MY LAWN! [/crotchety old man] ;)

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Nah, it just explains the whole difference in perspective is all I'm getting at. :)
The comment was meant to be friendly/playful. :D

dude

please don't actually think i'm fourteen

But yeah, as somebody whose only experience with the PS1 when it was released was educational games when my elementary school rented one out to me (I'm eighteen now), I don't have much nostalgia for games of that time period, and I think action games like Soul Reaver have especially aged rather poorly. Luckily there are still plenty of gems like Klonoa and Suikoden, but most of the PS1 games I want to play have been put up on PSN already.

And back at ya, old man.

Lunch acts like a fourteen year old, so everything's okay in the end.

On a different note, I defeated the first rare nevi in Gravity Rush. What a bitch but I got it stuck against the wall and wailed on it. Almost died due to sweaty hands slipping. x_x

patsu

Please sync your Vita trophies with PSN server first before formatting your memcard.

Skyzard

Banned
Sound Shapes might be my favorite Vita game so far, even if it's not really just a Vita game.

I agree, been playing it the most recently as well. I've been working my way through the campaign slowly and just messing around with the level editor, trying some of the top community levels, some really fantastic ones.... the game is so good. So much replayability and fun to be had, easily worth the £10.

The biggest worry I had was the platforming wasn't top notch (this was way back when we only had those cam recordings mostly). It is pretty rock solid, tight controls and movement. I also find using the analogue more helpful than the d-pad for the first time in a 2d platformer...might be the extra control over those jumps. Really satisfying platforming...not even touching on the music here.

The only thing I would like to see (other than DLC albums/level editor content-not that there is a shortage) in an update is to be able to save the maps to your vita for offline access. Other than the benefit for when you are offline...it is reassuring to have permanent access to your favourite community levels (some can be huge and worth replaying)...even when you have net - psn can go down ... slight long term considerations as well.

Grinchy

Banned
I agree, been playing it the most recently as well. I've been working my way through the campaign slowly and just messing around with the level editor, trying some of the top community levels, some really fantastic ones.... the game is so good. So much replayability and fun to be had, easily worth the £10.

The biggest worry I had was the platforming wasn't top notch (this was way back when we only had those cam recordings mostly). It is pretty rock solid, tight controls and movement. I also find using the analogue more helpful than the d-pad for the first time in a 2d platformer...might be the extra control over those jumps. Really satisfying platforming...not even touching on the music here.

The only thing I would like to see (other than DLC albums/level editor content-not that there is a shortage) in an update is to be able to save the maps to your vita for offline access. Other than the benefit for when you are offline...it is reassuring to have permanent access to your favourite community levels (some can be huge and worth replaying)...even when you have net - psn can go down ... slight long term considerations as well.

I just beat the campaign tonight. I definitely went through it slowly too. I have played like 8 community levels and most of them were top notch. I really liked that fire level.

I am pretty satisfied with the level of platforming too and I also use the joystick instead of the Dpad. I see a lot of people talking about how the Dpad is great for this game but I suck with it. I also find myself just going into the editor and making music. I haven't tried designing a real level yet but I'm sure I will. I just get so sucked in to trying out the different sounds and loops.

I think Beat School is my favorite part of the game so far. I hope we get some new levels for it sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom