• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sintoid

Hopefully the firmware is tonight then (well, tonight as in early Tuesday morning)

Usually before each important PS3 update there's a briefing video on PSBlog... let's see if they will do the same for Vita update, if tomorrow is the day probably today we'll have the video...

Running through GA now ... by far the most annoying trophy.

Here's the hint. Do not restart when you killed all the enemies with GAU... kill yourself with a granade or falling somewhere. If you restart the kill counter for the trophy will reset!

Vitacat

Hey Vita peeps,

I was just thinking about going full digital someday. The big problem is cost, or course. Not so much the expensive memory cards, but the fact that (from what I read) the game prices on PSN are often MORE EXPENSIVE than retail physical carts. That is pretty crazy.

Does Sony not want people to go digital?! It would seem much better for Sony if we did -- less worry about producing carts, boxes, shipping etc.

I realize they also have to balance things to maintain relations with retail stores. But from what I've read, they are doing a poor job keeping up. Also, didn't they say digital would be a little cheaper than retail?

I kinda wish they would also sell digital vouchers inside of boxes at retail. Instead of a cart, you get a download voucher. But the stores can set prices as they wish, just as they do with carts. And then you also get the box, and there could still be LE's and SE's etc.

Anyway, just thinking out loud... Can't wait to get my Vita later today. =)

Carl

Does Sony not want people to go digital?! It would seem much better for Sony if we did -- less worry about producing carts, boxes, shipping etc.

Only Sony's fault when it's a Sony game. Other pubs set their own prices. Sony are getting better at pricing, but still need to improve a bit. But at least they set prices 10% cheaper than retail RRP. Third parties don't.

KAL2006

Banned
Just wondering how similar is the hardware of a Vita to an iPad. I remember reading they have pretty much the same hardware. I wish developers would have Vita ports of all their iOS games, if the hardware is as similar as I have heard it shouldn't be hard to make multiplatform iOS/Vita games. I wanted games like "The World Ends With You", Phoenix Wright Trilogy HD, GTA3HD and Max Payne to have Vita ports.

Are we speaking about US or EU PSN ? ;) Because EU had some quite a nice promotion with bunch of games for 15-20 euros and psp classics even cheaper.

Vitacat

Only Sony's fault when it's a Sony game. Other pubs set their own prices. Sony are getting better at pricing, but still need to improve a bit. But at least they set prices 10% cheaper than retail RRP. Third parties don't.

Interesting. I'll have to check out the prices later today when my Vita arrives.

I'm a bit torn. Digital is so convenient, but physical still seems to have more advantages. At least we have the choice.

zroid

Banned
The pouch is the only worthwhile item in that package.

I'm only really interested in the skins to be honest, and those are simple pre-order bonuses for the regular edition.

Canada Gaffers may be interested in knowing that Amazon.ca has the "Solid Gold" edition pf P4:G up for pre-order. EB will probably follow later today whenever they get around to updating their store.

Huh, wasn't the MSRP $69.99?

Cornbread78

Has it been confirmed that all PS1 games on PSN are compatible with VITA, or is there only a listed few?

Can we harass SE to put up the Star Ocean games yet? I mean, they do have PSP releases already....

Carl

Interesting. I'll have to check out the prices later today when my Vita arrives.

I'm a bit torn. Digital is so convenient, but physical still seems to have more advantages. At least we have the choice.

Yeah. Like michaelius said

Are we speaking about US or EU PSN ? ;) Because EU had some quite a nice promotion with bunch of games for 15-20 euros and psp classics even cheaper.

EU have had some good deals. I have bought mostly digital and haven't felt ripped off. Been some good deals, some good sales. MGS HD was a fair bit cheaper than retail on release day.

So they definitely can do it

Just wondering how similar is the hardware of a Vita to an iPad. I remember reading they have pretty much the same hardware. I wish developers would have Vita ports of all their iOS games, if the hardware is as similar as I have heard it shouldn't be hard to make multiplatform iOS/Vita games. I wanted games like "The World Ends With You", Phoenix Wright Trilogy HD, GTA3HD and Max Payne to have Vita ports.

The hardware components are very similar. Both have chips using nearly identical building blocks in somewhat different configurations. The difference is mostly in development environment. Writing native Vita code is pretty different from the managed environments most iOS devs use. That said, PlayStation Mobile's goal is to do exactly what you want, entice iOS and Android devs to port their games, or create new ones that will run on Vita and PS Certified Android phones and tablets. It launches this fall and there are something like 30 games already announced, though most of those are smaller fair from independent studios and not legacy content cash grabs from big publishers like in your list.

sajj316

Here's the hint. Do not restart when you killed all the enemies with GAU... kill yourself with a granade or falling somewhere. If you restart the kill counter for the trophy will reset!

So is this for every weapon kill trophy or just this one. I've felt that I've killed more than I have to in this game.

hwy_61

Banned
A bit OT here, but last night, me and the Mrs went shopping for a new bed. So after laying on a few, she notices me raising my hands up to my face:

Wife: "Why are you doing that?"
Me: "I gotta see if this bed will be comfortable for Vita use."
Wife: "You're ridiculous!"
Me: "Well, we can't starting dry humping in the middle of Sears, honey."
<Wife look of disapproval>

So then I start pretending to have sex with her on top, and the bed saleswoman starts laughing. Needless to say, we were able to find the perfect bed for my Vita!

Carl

A bit OT here, but last night, me and the Mrs went shopping for a new bed. So after laying on a few, she notices me raising my hands up to my face:

Wife: "Why are you doing that?"
Me: "I gotta see if this bed will be comfortable for Vita use."
Wife: "You're ridiculous!"
Me: "Well, we can't starting dry humping in the middle of Sears, honey."
<Wife look of disapproval>

So then I start pretending to have sex with her on top, and the bed saleswoman starts laughing. Needless to say, we were able to find the perfect bed for my Vita!

That sounds fun... Haha

KAL2006

Banned
The hardware components are very similar. Both have chips using nearly identical building blocks in somewhat different configurations. The difference is mostly in development environment. Writing native Vita code is pretty different from the managed environments most iOS devs use. That said, PlayStation Mobile's goal is to do exactly what you want, entice iOS and Android devs to port their games, or create new ones that will run on Vita and PS Certified Android phones and tablets. It launches this fall and there are something like 30 games already announced, though most of those are smaller fair from independent studios and not legacy content cash grabs from big publishers like in your list.

Nice, well I do hope things kick off with iOS ports once Playstation Mobile happpens. The main problem is PS Mobile has a low spec requiretement, so we will probably get mainly simple games and not games like GTA3 HD. Games like GTA3HD and Mazx Payne would be great on Vita mainly because of the button controls of the Vita.

Shinriji

how long did this take you?

The Uncharted plat took me 2 months, give or take.

U:GA is just like every Uncharted, but the bounties could take you a while if you don't have many friends with this game. I finished all difficulties normally, and replayed levels for the missing artifacts. When I cleared all the artifacts, there was about 20 bounties left and the trophy for the kills with the GAU and the SAS. The last 5 bounties took a little while, because not one of my friends (and his friends as well) have those bounties. The thing is that I added RpgN, and he had all those missing bounties. So, I replayed the chapter 29 for both GAU and SAS action about 2 times and voilá, platinum.

Pretty fun game, way better than U3 and U1 (U2 is still king, heh).

Sintoid

U:GA is just like every Uncharted, but the bounties could take you a while if you don't have many friends with this game. I finished all difficulties normally, and replayed levels for the missing artifacts. When I cleared all the artifacts, there was about 20 bounties left and the trophy for the kills with the GAU and the SAS. The last 5 bounties took a little while, because not one of my friends (and his friends as well) have those bounties. The thing is that I added RpgN, and he had all those missing bounties. So, I replayed the chapter 29 for both GAU and SAS action about 2 times and voilá, platinum.

I actually got platinum in one month but now with Near you can get bounties more quickly than on day one. A lot of my friends have all the bounties and can offer them as trades in the market

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Nice, well I do hope things kick off with iOS ports once Playstation Mobile happpens. The main problem is PS Mobile has a low spec requiretement, so we will probably get mainly simple games and not games like GTA3 HD. Games like GTA3HD and Mazx Payne would be great on Vita mainly because of the button controls of the Vita.

Didn't they recently say something about Trophies for PlayStation Mobile stuff, it's possible they end up with a universal low requirement for Vita+Mobiles and then allow Vita only games.

Thanks man!

One day left, y'all.

ONE DAY LEFT!

RLini.gif

ONE.DAY.LEFT.

gdo7I.gif

Someone get an OT ready with the list of all compatible games. :D

Hanmik

One day left, y'all.

ONE DAY LEFT!

Someone get an OT ready with the list of all compatible games. :D

"PsVita FW 1.80 [OT] the day Sony took trolling one step further"

Compatible games:
- Metal Gear Solid
- Final Fantasy 7
- Resident Evil 2
+ more to come in the near future... kind regards Sony.

"PsVita FW 1.80 [OT] the day Sony took trolling one step further"

Compatible games:
- Metal Gear Solid
- Final Fantasy 7
- Residen Evil 2
+ more to come in the near future... kind regards Sony.

If this happens, I'm going to...I'm going to cry so much.

:(

I have faith Sony will deliver, but I won't be happy if Soul Reaver, Fear Effect and G-Police aren't compatible.

Usually before each important PS3 update there's a briefing video on PSBlog... let's see if they will do the same for Vita update, if tomorrow is the day probably today we'll have the video...

Most of the PS3 updates have been live around 12:01am EST in the US... definitely not in sync with the store update or anything (since that runs on Grace Chen time).

I actually got platinum in one month but now with Near you can get bounties more quickly than on day one. A lot of my friends have all the bounties and can offer them as trades in the market

Took me less than a week. I had one trade from dallow in the black market before I finished the bounties -- I think I've received one offer now that I'm done too.
Depends on how much you mind grinding and if you use a guide for the collectibles, I suppose.
And for the record: Uncharted >= Uncharted 3 > Uncharted: Golden Abyss >>>>>>>>>>> Uncharted 2 :p

Rasec

hmm, never had the chance of playing psone games. was thinking of maybe getting wipeout or gta vice city stories for the vita but i might wait for the update to see is sony going to deliver a good lineup os ps1 games or going to troll us xD

Guess i'll check some best psone game videos to see what i missed as a gamer.
Any picks for ps1 games you can't let escape.
For now i'm only thinking on Tomba! and Resi 2.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
according to Joystiq "Alundra, Arc the Lad 1 and 2, Vanguard Bandits, and the recently released Tomba" will be playable tomorrow on Vita

Did they have a reliable source, or are they regurgitating the same "a source inside Sony" that every low rent blog uses when they make stuff up?

Did they have a reliable source, or are they regurgitating the same "a source inside Sony" that every low rent blog uses when they make stuff up?

MonkeyPaw themselves, as it reads:

MonkeyPaw Games will make five of its PSOne Imports and Classics available to Vita users tomorrow, when the new firmware adds PSOne support to the handheld. Alundra, Arc the Lad 1 and 2, Vanguard Bandits, and the recently released Tomba will all be playable on Vita in North America starting tomorrow, the publisher told Joystiq.

The overall list of supported PSOne Classics for tomorrow's Vita launch, outside of MonkeyPaw's offerings, is largely a mystery. When announcing the feature at E3, Sony showed off a selection of games including Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy VII, Wild Arms, Twisted Metal 2, Cool Boarders 2, and Jet Moto, but didn't say if those games would be part of the launch lineup.

MonkeyPaw hopes to have the rest of its PSOne games on Vita "soon."

BaZZaa

Neo Member
what... the fuck

indeed :O

Uncharted 2 was so much better then 3 in every way possible.
Only half way trough golden abyss, but from what i've played I would rank the games in the following order:
Uncharted 2 > Uncharted Golden Abyss > Uncharted 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Uncharted 3

indeed :O

Uncharted 2 was so much better then 3 in every way possible.
Only half way trough golden abyss, but from what i've played I would rank the games in the following order:
Uncharted 2 > Uncharted Golden Abyss > Uncharted 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Uncharted 3

Apparently the masses seems to like the game that has the most combat and least puzzles, and that's cool if it works for you. But from where I'm sitting, Uncharted 2 is clearly the game I enjoyed least. Hating the multiplayer probably doesn't help it's case either. :)

Back on topic, though...

If MonkeyPaw is saying at least 5 of their games will work with the new PSOne emulator for Vita on day one -- I wonder what percentage of their games that is.

In honor of PSOne on the Vita, Konami should release Suikoden II on PSN.

And Sony should have a 1 week "30% off for PSN users, 50% off for PS+ users PSOne classics" sale.
I'd drop at least $30 bucks, probably. (Tomba, Klonoa, FF7-9, MGS)

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
In honor of PSOne on the Vita, Konami should release Suikoden II on PSN.

I would love to be able to pick up both, my friend was obsessed with the series but I never found myself a legal copy anywhere.
Having both readily available to play through would be sweet.

Golden Abyss needs to hurry up and drop to $20 so I can try it.

Hmmm... are you US or Canada?
goHastings had it for $20 a few weeks back... it's where I got mine. I'd say I'd make you a good deal on it (<$25 shipped) but if you're in Canada, that might be a problem. :p

Edit: Scratch that, I just sold it. :D

Joe Molotov

I would love to be able to pick up both, my friend was obsessed with the series but I never found myself a legal copy anywhere.
Having both readily available to play through would be sweet.

I had Suikoden II on the PSOne but I sold it to a friend for $150. I needed the money at the time, but I wish I still had it. Game was so good.

Tizoc

I still don't get why Sony never had the Vita play PSX games from the start, it just seems plain do-able.

At any rate, my bro just got his Vita and I'd like to know if there are any stuff worth getting ATM (Free or sold at less than 20 dollars on US PSN)

I still don't get why Sony never had the Vita play PSX games from the start, it just seems plain do-able.

At any rate, my bro just got his Vita and I'd like to know if there are any stuff worth getting ATM (Free or sold at less than 20 dollars on US PSN)

For the same reason 3DS didn't have eshop on release.
Both launches were rushed by competition

edit: good stuff to own from PSN:

Motorstorm RC, Super Stardust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom