• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think he's saying you could have gotten the extra Madden game and easily sold it here or traded for another Vita game.

Oh. Right. Not that huge a deal again since I don't care about Madden and flipping it isn't a sure thing. I doubt someone wants to pay $50 for Madden retail, esp. given EA's history of shoddy ports on the PSP and the broken Madden '11 launch title?

Iacobellis

Oh. Right. Not that huge a deal again since I don't care about Madden and flipping it isn't a sure thing. I doubt someone wants to pay $50 for Madden retail, esp. given EA's history of shoddy ports on the PSP and the broken Madden '11 launch title?

When was this? Haha, I never heard of this.

Mung

Hoping that at least some of my PS1 collection will work, i.e.

Wipeout
Fade to black
FF7
Syndicate wars
Tomb raider

To be honest only Wipeout and FF7 still stand up today. Syndicate wars Ps1 port was shite.

In reality, I won't be playing any of these games for more than a day or two :(

Joe Molotov

I love my 32GB card. Got a ton of Vita, PSP, Minis, Demos on it, and still got a few gigs left for some PSOne games before I even have to think about reorganizing.

TheSeks

Syndicate wars Ps1 port was shite.

SimCity 2K isn't that good on the PSX either. Really requires the mouse which I doubt the PSP2's emulator will let you do with the thumbsticks.

When was this? Haha, I never heard of this.

Broken is maybe a strong word, it's only broken if you're an achievement whore (or the online is broken, forgetting. Again: don't care about Madden).

Probably could've gotten $20-25 trade in credit or something for it with no hassle. I'm not sure what the going rate is, since the game isn't out yet, but I'd have to imagine that GS or Best Buy would offer ~50% for it. So you'd make an extra $20 for not even doing anything other than waiting a day, is what the point was, I think.

But if you don't care, no biggie.

TheSeks

Probably could've gotten $20-25 trade in credit or something for it with no hassle. I'm not sure what the going rate is, since the game isn't out yet, but I'd have to imagine that GS or Best Buy would offer ~50% for it. So you'd make an extra $20 for not even doing anything other than waiting a day, is what the point was, I think.

But if you don't care, no biggie.

Well, I guess I could take it back tomorrow and whine about the deal and not knowing about getting a free title with it or something but I doubt BBY would change their tune of "dealwithit.gif, you bought it yesterday" like they would price-scalpers that hoard games when they do sales a few days before the sale is active. :/

MisterC20XX

The five PSX games I'm hoping for:

Resident Evil 2
Chrono Cross
Vagrant Story
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Grandia

I can't wait to see the list. Any word on how often games will be released?

Grinchy

Banned
By contrast I started p3p and it's hooked me from the start. It's great.

Also got sound shapes. Campaign was short but great. Death mode is an awesome challenge. Beat mode is loads of fun and the level editor is fantastic. Bargin at its price as well.

I almost bought P3P but I plan to get P4G anyway, and I decided to wait.

And Sound Shapes is awesome. It's such a cool and unique game. Beat School was probably my favorite part, but I've only just started death mode (that 2nd level with the bouncy things pissed me off lol). The editor is easy enough that many people are putting up some really high quality levels. It's not like LittleBigPlanet where it takes a ton of dedication to create just one high quality level.

Iacobellis

SimCity 2K isn't that good on the PSX either. Really requires the mouse which I doubt the PSP2's emulator will let you do with the thumbsticks.

Broken is maybe a strong word, it's only broken if you're an achievement whore (or the online is broken, forgetting. Again: don't care about Madden).

Oh, I got you.

I mean, I wouldn't expect the frequency of PS1 releases on PSN to increase just because they're now compatible with Vita. That is a slow trickle right now. Maybe 1-2 per month?

I think he means compat updates, if the 100+ isn't today.
And no, there's no word on anything yet.

I'm still cautiously optimistic that we're getting the 100+ with the update and I'll be able to put everything I have on my 32gb. :fingers crossed:

LuchaShaq

Banned
Okay, so I took the plunge with the 1.80 (PSX) firmware update, I decided to pull the trigger and have it day one to replace my aging PSP1 for PSX playback.

I bought the wifi version for $262 (with FL sales tax included) at Best Buy and they gave me a $50 gift card so I got a starter kit with the protective case, screens, and 4 gig card. I know that isn't the 32gig card that GAF recommends but that card is $99 at BBY and I was like "fuck that" and didn't want to pay EXTRA with no protective screens or case (including the memory card even if it's 4 gigs), so someone tell me I did good and got a PSP2 for a steal or something before I get buyers remorse. D:

I still gotta pay Dreamgazer back... guess that's what my next two paychecks are going towards... *sigh*

Should have got a used one off craiglist for 100$+ less would have been my suggestion.

Bundles with bigger memory cards and a game have been fluctuating between 130-190 here.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
This 1.80 firmware is also bringing the button controls on the menu right ? I was surprised to find that you couldn't do that when i got my Vita last week.

Iacobellis

This 1.80 firmware is also bringing the button controls on the menu right ? I was surprised to find that you couldn't do that when i got my Vita last week.

Indeed it is. I'm excited for this all because the screen smudges so easily. Could be me, but I don't think the Vita has a coating over the screen like the iPhone and other smartphones have.

TheSeks

Should have got a used one off craiglist for 100$+ less would have been my suggestion.

Bundles with bigger memory cards and a game have been fluctuating between 130-190 here.

Eh, I kinda wanted a new one. *shrug*

Also LiveTweet is AMAZING. I'm lovin' this. I tried the Facebook app out and it's nice as well, but I'm starting to ween myself off Facebook so I'm gonna delete that soon.

I really wish they'd put a Kindle app up. :(

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Persona 4 CE back in stock at amazon.

Also LiveTweet is AMAZING. I'm lovin' this. I tried the Facebook app out and it's nice as well, but I'm starting to ween myself off Facebook so I'm gonna delete that soon.

Don't worry. You're contributing to NPD at least.
I kind of want the white one now.

Kyon

Banned
Well, I also got it for Persona 4 and a few fighting games (and LittleBigPlanet) but for now I already have PSX and PSP1 games from PSN to where I wasn't exactly needing a new game for the system and like I said the 32 gig was like $100 and I didn't want to pay like a bunch of stuff when I could just get a protective screen and case along with the memory card on BBY's dime. Didn't seem like a bad deal there.

I know you bought it to play 3rd Birthday on the Vita screen ;p

TheSeks

I know you bought it to play 3rd Birthday on the Vita screen ;p

Does it improve controls? Is there a way to get the UMD version to transfer to it? IIRC there's a method that hooks it up to the PS3 and has the store give you DRM access or something to a UMD version for free without that payment thing the Japan store is doing?

I'd slap it on there to see if it improves the controls
too bad the story shits on Aya to where I disown it otherwise. :(

Carl

Yeah i like the twitter app. I want that on my phone >.< would pay for it even. I used the facebook app then deleted it. It isn't bad

What's your twitter? Do i follow you? I'm @poowitheyes

spats

Yep, LiveTweet is just awesome. I use it to browse Twitter every night before going to bed and every morning after waking up. It can be a bit inconsistent sometimes with how it opens images though. Some sites work fine inside the app but some images open the browser. :I

TheSeks

What's your twitter? Do i follow you? I'm @poowitheyes

Same as my GAF handle but I'm not a heavy twitter user. I only use it to stalk follow celebrities and currently retweet PaulRyanGosling tweets I found funny to the few people that follow me.

spats said:
Some sites work fine inside the app but some images open the browser. :I

I didn't notice that yet. I did notice that the ones that open in the app are kinda small and not fit to the screen in a 4:3 ratio similar to the PSX's emulator on PSP under "normal/overscan(?)" whatever the second option for that emulator was.

Nevermind, I'm an idiot and it does size correctly. I blame poor cellphone photo quality for making me think it wasn't.

branny

Does it improve controls? Is there a way to get the UMD version to transfer to it? IIRC there's a method that hooks it up to the PS3 and has the store give you DRM access or something to a UMD version for free without that payment thing the Japan store is doing?

I kind of want to get the digital version of The 3rd Birthday, but I'd feel icky for buying that game twice just to see how it fares on Vita.

[/spoiler].

The only thing I know about UMD > digital was the UMD Passport program and it allowed you to confirm you owned the UMD and then sold you the digital version at a discount and was only available in Japan.

Unless I missed something... I think you're dreaming.

Takao

Banned

You can remap certain controls in PSP games on Vita while holding down on the touch screen when booting them up. As for the UMD Passport program, it is not available in the west.

I kind of want to get the digital version of The 3rd Birthday, but I'd feel icky for buying that game twice just to see how it fares on Vita.

Mapping the D-Pad to the other control stick makes the game much better. It actually plays like a normal third person shooter.

You can't do anything about the story, BUT playing it on the VITA removes the need to CLAW grip your handheld.

Lucent

I bought Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley last night. I read some reviews on it to see if I'd be interested in it. I loved the SNES Harvest Moon to death when I was younger, but $7.50 is still $7.50. They could've done anything to it. But I really wanted to get on it while it was $7.50 because if it went back to $29.99 I'd probably never try it.

The two main problems that were mutual in the reviews seemed to be loading times being long and your camera mapped to the d-pad like Monster Hunter. Well, they were obviously playing the UMD version, because the digital version on my Vita loads in no more than 2-3 seconds if that. And thanks to the Vita's ability to map stuff to the right analog stick, it makes camera use a non-issue. They also didn't like the music much but it hasn't really bothered me.

Last thing I would say is that the colors really look great on the Vita. Dat OLED screen really does breath new life into PSP games.

I can't wait for the update tomorrow, though. Would love to play some RE games on my Vita in anticipation for RE6.

Is the psp sega collection playable on vita?does it look good?i really want to play golden axe 1-3,sor 1-3 and sonic 1-3 on it

It is, and it looks good (europe)

It doesn't have Sonic 3

I'm wondering this as well because when I saw this post, I was foaming at the mouth at the thought of having classic Sonic on my Vita. It's nowhere to be found on the Vita PSP store. Do I have to do one of those BS PS3 to Vita transfers? Is it even confirmed for NA PSN on Vita? I even did a search for it, no dice.

I bought Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley last night. I read some reviews on it to see if I'd be interested in it. I loved the SNES Harvest Moon to death when I was younger, but $7.50 is still $7.50. They could've done anything to it. But I really wanted to get on it while it was $7.50 because if it went back to $29.99 I'd probably never try it.

The two main problems that were mutual in the reviews seemed to be loading times being long and your camera mapped to the d-pad like Monster Hunter. Well, they were obviously playing the UMD version, because the digital version on my Vita loads in no more than 2-3 seconds if that. And thanks to the Vita's ability to map stuff to the right analog stick, it makes camera use a non-issue. They also didn't like the music much but it hasn't really bothered me.

Last thing I would say is that the colors really look great on the Vita. Dat OLED screen really does breath new life into PSP games.

I can't wait for the update tomorrow, though. Would love to play some RE games on my Vita in anticipation for RE6.

I think HOLV is a solid HM game but it can't compare to Boy & Girl, which has a port of Back to Nature. BTN is one of the greatest HM games. You should've read my post a few pages back man! Go get it, it's discounted as well! The load times are great and it's one of the most rewarding HM games I've ever played.

I almost bought P3P but I plan to get P4G anyway, and I decided to wait.

And Sound Shapes is awesome. It's such a cool and unique game. Beat School was probably my favorite part, but I've only just started death mode (that 2nd level with the bouncy things pissed me off lol). The editor is easy enough that many people are putting up some really high quality levels. It's not like LittleBigPlanet where it takes a ton of dedication to create just one high quality level.

i will def get persona 4 as well now that i have 3 and can see how good it is. However im in the uk so who knows when it will be released here.I could always import it i guess.

Yeah the death lvl 2 was tough until i worked out how to turn around withought hitting the the same pad twice.

Made a lvl as well and the fact its pure 2d makes it really easy but capable of some comeplex stuff as well. My levels a bit shit but was just having a play. Its tempting to sit down and try make something better at somepoint.

Vitacat

ONE OF YOU:

My Vita arrived! I LOVE IT. This thing is just amazing. So glad I bought it. I am praying Sony can turn Vita sales around, and give this thing the support and success it deserves.

So, I checked the screen in a totally dark space, and it seems great to me. No idea what some people are complaining about. Yes, I could barely, and I mean BARELY see some blotches, but ONLY when the screen was completely black and I was in a totally blackened room. As for lines and stuff, nothing that I could tell. For anyone else worried about the screen issues, don't. Best screen ever on a game system.

OTHER THOUGHTS:

I think I may go all digital. Which is funny, because a couple of years ago I was one of those anti-digital people. :eek:)

Having used iOS almost exclusively for the past couple of years for my portable gaming, I am so used to having all my apps on internal storage. And generally I tend to keep my games and not resell them anyway. Plus, something I read on another board got me thinking... What if a future Sony system has BC with Vita software, but only using digital the way Vita can use PSP software but only digital? Might be worth it to buy Vita apps digitally for future BC.

So, I went and ordered a 32GB card. Haven't opened my 16GB or any of my retail games from Amazon yet, so I will just return them for refund and... go digital. Almost can't believe I'm saying that, but yeah... I am.

Anyway, I am a very happy, proud member of this forum now. =)

BTW, my PSN name is Vitacat-P. I can't really use my Vita yet because I have to wait until my 32GB card arrives tomorrow, but once I'm all set I will start adding friends.

Fingers crossed for the 1.80 update soon. OK, see you all later.

BTW, my PSN name is Vitacat-P. I can't really use my Vita yet because I have to wait until my 32GB card arrives tomorrow, but once I'm all set I will start adding friends.

You can add me if you like -- same name as on GAF.

If you were keeping a retail game, you'd be able to play without the memory card so long as (1) you didn't care about taking the game online, since PSN wouldn't let you on without FW update and you can't FW update without a memory card or (2) the game supports saving without the memory card (MK9 does, for example).

Anyway, glad you like it. Now go 100% welcome park. :p

patsu

I think I may go all digital. Which is funny, because a couple of years ago I was one of those anti-digital people. :eek:)

Having used iOS almost exclusively for the past couple of years for my portable gaming, I am so used to having all my apps on internal storage. And generally I tend to keep my games and not resell them anyway. Plus, something I read on another board got me thinking... What if a future Sony system has BC with Vita software, but only using digital the way Vita can use PSP software but only digital? Might be worth it to buy Vita apps digitally for future BC.

So, I went and ordered a 32GB card.

... if you can afford it, yes, all digital gaming is like eating all sorts of dessert non-stop.

I also download videos and music on Vita. ^_^

The only flaw is sometimes we need to quit an app/game for another to run.

I was playing Wipeout yesterday the HD campaign and twice I got an error right when I won a race (awesome timing) that forced me to get out of the game a restart it. Anyone else had these errors (can't remember the error number) or is it just me? Is there any way to fix it? I got them with everything upgraded. It's really annoying to finally win a difficult race or time trail only to lose all progress from a show stopping bug.

... if you can afford it, yes, all digital gaming is like eating all sorts of dessert non-stop.

I also download videos and music on Vita. ^_^

The only flaw is sometimes we need to quit an app/game for another to run.

For games where you are sure you want them forever, this is a good strategy -- one I would employ if they discounted the games more... I'd buy UMvC3, MK9, and Lumines digitally for sure; but when I can get them for $20-$30 less if I buy them retail? No thanks. :\ And for games like Uncharted, which are kind of one and done for me? Retail please so I can dump it afterwards. ;)

VanWinkle

ONE OF YOU:

My Vita arrived! I LOVE IT. This thing is just amazing. So glad I bought it. I am praying Sony can turn Vita sales around, and give this thing the support and success it deserves.

So, I checked the screen in a totally dark space, and it seems great to me. No idea what some people are complaining about. Yes, I could barely, and I mean BARELY see some blotches, but ONLY when the screen was completely black and I was in a totally blackened room. As for lines and stuff, nothing that I could tell. For anyone else worried about the screen issues, don't. Best screen ever on a game system.

OTHER THOUGHTS:

So, I went and ordered a 32GB card. Haven't opened my 16GB or any of my retail games from Amazon yet, so I will just return them for refund and... go digital. Almost can't believe I'm saying that, but yeah... I am.

Awesome man. I was waiting to see what you're thoughts were, since I knew you were really excited about it. Glad it met your expectations. And I told you not to worry about the screen :p

Go ahead and add me to PSN (you should be able to add people without having a memory card). PSN ID is same as username.

TheSeks

The only thing I know about UMD > digital was the UMD Passport program and it allowed you to confirm you owned the UMD and then sold you the digital version at a discount and was only available in Japan.

That's probably what I'm thinking of. But I could swear Giantbomb had a post that linked to the PS.Blog US about doing something with UMD's to the PS3 to the PSP2. :/

Vitacat

For games where you are sure you want them forever, this is a good strategy -- one I would employ if they discounted the games more... I'd buy UMvC3, MK9, and Lumines digitally for sure; but when I can get them for $20-$30 less if I buy them retail? No thanks. :\ And for games like Uncharted, which are kind of one and done for me? Retail please so I can dump it afterwards. ;)

Yeah, I got Uncharted for free so I am keeping that as physical. I agree it's probably not the sort of game one would replay often, so I don't mind.

Awesome man. I was waiting to see what you're thoughts were, since I knew you were really excited about it. Glad it met your expectations. And I told you not to worry about the screen :p

Go ahead and add me to PSN (you should be able to add people without having a memory card). PSN ID is same as username.

Yep, you were right.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Yeah, but I heard it sucked. It was only for a small amount of titles, mostly Sony titles if I recall correctly.

TheSeks

Now that you own a Vita you need to start calling it a Vita.

NEVAH. I'm gonna scratch that out of the paint and repaint it with the PS2 font as a PSP2. Make it a collector's item or something. :p

ONE OF YOU:

Congrats! Welcome to the Vita community :) Just don't go posting in other Vita threads, anything else out there is usually a hate fest. The community here is usually very warm and knowledgeable so you're very welcome. Spread the word of the Vita to your friends, show it off ;) I do as much as possible.

Yes, you'll need to transfer it. :(

Sigh, well that's better than nothing. I've been dying for a Sonic/Sega classics fix on my Vita. I wonder how gorgeous it'll look on the OLED, I love old school art so I hope the bilinear stuff will make it look nicer.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
NEVAH. I'm gonna scratch that out of the paint and repaint it with the PS2 font as a PSP2. Make it a collector's item or something. :p
I was going to congratulate you on your new Vita, but reading that makes me want to take it away and put it in the custody of somebody more deserving. Your Vita's going to have an identity crisis. :(

Beckx

Persona 4 CE back in stock at amazon.

Ordered. Oddly enough I think the Amazon seller trying to sell it at $160 increased my desire to obtain one at a reasonable price. I can't wait.

In the endgame of P3P now. Vita is such the perfect platform for a game like this.

patsu

the only problem going digital is Lumines is still at $35.99 :| stupid SCEA

I used to think that way until the day I lost 4 Vita retail games. Left my Vita FEB pouch somewhere.

You just have to be more careful. I'm probably a hopeless case where losing things is concerned.

Congrats! Welcome to the Vita community :) Just don't go posting in other Vita threads, anything else out there is usually a hate fest. The community here is usually very warm and knowledgeable so you're very welcome. Spread the word of the Vita to your friends, show it off ;) I do as much as possible.

Like the dude who wandered into the PSOne compatibility thread just to say "I don't care about PSOne support, Vita has no games." or something like that? :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom