• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkwing

I still don't get why Sony never had the Vita play PSX games from the start, it just seems plain do-able.

At any rate, my bro just got his Vita and I'd like to know if there are any stuff worth getting ATM (Free or sold at less than 20 dollars on US PSN)

what kind of games does he like? there's Mutant Blobs for $8

Carl

I still don't get why Sony never had the Vita play PSX games from the start, it just seems plain do-able.
I imagine there are a lot of licensing hoops to jump through, not to mention that they would probably need to re-test every game for bugs to make sure the emulator works. A big undertaking, i guess.

Tizoc

what kind of games does he like? there's Mutant Blobs for $8

Hmm he's mainly a fan of RE and Final Fantasy, his video game franchise knowledge is pretty dim tho.
So really recommend away, I may have some titles in mind as is BTW, and are any of the apps worth dling?

zroid

Banned
Hmmm... are you US or Canada?
goHastings had it for $20 a few weeks back... it's where I got mine. I'd say I'd make you a good deal on it (<$25 shipped) but if you're in Canada, that might be a problem. :p

Edit: Scratch that, I just sold it. :D

Yes, I'm in Canada :p

I've seen it for $30 at Costco once. Almost bit on that, but I decided it needs to go lower :D

magawolaz

I didn't like the game either and the only rpg's i play are dark/demon's souls and ys(seven specifically)
They are quite different from TitS.

Anyway, first hours of TitS may turn you off because of the amount of dialogues and the apparently boring story, but don't give up!

I think that there's a bug in this trophy and maybe in the shotgun one...

So is this for every weapon kill trophy or just this one. I've felt that I've killed more than I have to in this game.

Hmm he's mainly a fan of RE and Final Fantasy, his video game franchise knowledge is pretty dim tho.
So really recommend away, I may have some titles in mind as is BTW, and are any of the apps worth dling?

Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack - $8
Super Stardust Delta bundle - $15
Sound Shapes - $15 (crossbuy if you have PS3)
Motorstorm RC - Free on Vita, ($8 if you want crossbuy, since it's $8 on PS3, but the saves sync)

Those are the 4 I own. I can say they were all worth the price if you like that sort of game.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm 20ish hours into TitS and every time I try to play it, I last about 20 minutes. I kind of enjoyed it in the beginning but then I just got bored of it fast. I really want to like it but I just don't.

mauaus

Anyway, first hours of TitS may turn you off because of the amount of dialogues and the apparently boring story, but don't give up!

TiTS is awesome, but you have to endure a lot of dialogue at the beginning, it does pay off quite well as you get attached to the characters!

You have to be in the right mood to play TitS. I think it's an absolutely wonderful game, but I've still taken like two or three weeks breaks between play sessions, because I'm rarely in the right mood for TitS' pacing. But when I felt like playing it I've easily spent five or six hours a day with it and had a great time.
I wish we could get the other games.

Tizoc

Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack - $8
Super Stardust Delta bundle - $15
Sound Shapes - $15 (crossbuy if you have PS3)
Motorstorm RC - Free on Vita, ($8 if you want crossbuy, since it's $8 on PS3, but the saves sync)

Those are the 4 I own. I can say they were all worth the price if you like that sort of game.

Sound Shapes is interesting, ah how's Sunioni? It's a 2D action game right?
Also, tits?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I was going to download some of my PS1 games to my PS3 so I could quickly transfer them to my Vita, but PSN is down for maintenance. I'm going to pretend that the maintenance means that 1.8 is coming out a day early.

I'm 20ish hours into TitS and every time I try to play it, I last about 20 minutes. I kind of enjoyed it in the beginning but then I just got bored of it fast. I really want to like it but I just don't.
Where are you in the story location-wise and what killed your interest?

see5harp

TiTS is awesome, but you have to endure a lot of dialogue at the beginning, it does pay off quite well as you get attached to the characters!

Agreed. I think at around hour 10 the characters are enough to keep you hooked. But I do think even when you are into the characters the amount of dialogue can be tedious. They really didn't need to spend 30 minutes at the school or at the hot tub. I just got past the hot springs area and a lot of the dialog is super boring and a rehash of the same conversations that were at the school. I understand people who say they enjoyed the story arc of the characters but I also understand the people who find the game boring. It's a by the numbers classic JRPG with a lot of repetition, not much strategy in combat, borderline silly music, and a ton of really terrible dialogue.

Grinchy

Banned
Where are you in the story location-wise and what killed your interest?

I think the last thing I did was run around Bose talking to a bunch of people because there had been some thefts. I'm trying to be vague to avoid spoilers, but hopefully I've been specific enough.

I'm not sure what it is that killed my interest. I enjoy the battle system, but the last few times I've sat down to play it, something about it just doesn't hold my interest.

Tizoc

Say, why doesn't Rayman Origins follow the PS3+Vita thing? Vita ver. is 35 on psn but ps3 ver. is like 20 bucks.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I think the last thing I did was run around Bose talking to a bunch of people because there had been some thefts. I'm trying to be vague to avoid spoilers, but hopefully I've been specific enough.
Ah okay, I'm pretty sure I know where you are then. Have you done the
school festival
(not a spoiler so much as an event, but I'm spoilering it just in case) yet? That's when the game picked up for me.

I can understand finding the game difficult to get into. Everybody can agree on the game being slow, but Trails didn't properly grab my interest until the last fifteen minutes or so; that said, those fifteen minutes were so good that I can't wait to continue the story. I really loved the battle system too, so that definitely helped keep my momentum even when the story didn't.

Sid

Exactly why i didn't like it,the game has a TON of dialogue in the first 2 hours i played

Takao

Banned
Say, why doesn't Rayman Origins follow the PS3+Vita thing? Vita ver. is 35 on psn but ps3 ver. is like 20 bucks.

Because Ubisoft is a third party publisher who doesn't have to opt into programs like that. Especially given the huge gulf in release dates between the PS3, and Vita versions.

patsu

Because Ubisoft is a third party publisher who doesn't have to opt into programs like that. Especially given the huge gulf in release dates between the PS3, and Vita versions.

Yeah, PS3 already dropped price to $20. It's unlikely for them to throw in Vita Rayman for "free".

Massa

Yeah, PS3 already dropped price to $20. It's unlikely for them to throw in Vita Rayman for "free".

Scenario A: People rent the game, play it and Ubisoft gets 0;

Scenario B: People buy a digital copy for $20, get the game on PS3/Vita. Ubisoft gets about $15.

Publishers love scenario A for some reason to the point where B is painted as a losing proposition.

patsu

Scenario A: People rent the game, play it and Ubisoft gets 0;

Scenario B: People buy a digital copy for $20, get the game on PS3/Vita. Ubisoft gets about $15.

Publishers love scenario A for some reason to the point where B is painted as a losing proposition.

It's difficult to debate unless we have the real sales figures. This is a simple textbook problem. There are already existing formulae to calculate when they should do A or B given the current sales numbers (and price).

Right now, Vita Rayman is selling at higher price than PS3 version. If they don't lower it, it may mean (some) people are still buying. The install base is small right now, they probably want to take their time to sell through.

Also the games are variations of one another, not 1:1.
Add in the fact that Rayman Origins came out long before anything was cross-buy and you have an answer, I think.

pixelbox

Apparently the masses seems to like the game that has the most combat and least puzzles, and that's cool if it works for you. But from where I'm sitting, Uncharted 2 is clearly the game I enjoyed least. Hating the multiplayer probably doesn't help it's case either.
Amen to that. I really loved the puzzles even though they were easy. Plus it had a better story too, only problem is the flow of it which was alittle rough. UC2 felt like room after room of shooting. I never had time to look around.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Like I said, the only major difference is the lack of co-op.
I liked collecting the glyphs. :(

I agree with patsu though; Rayman Origins was released before cross-buy was being pushed, and there's not much of an incentive for Ubisoft to get on that train anyway.

see5harp

I liked collecting the glyphs. :(

I agree with patsu though; Rayman Origins was released before cross-buy was being pushed, and there's not much of an incentive for Ubisoft to get on that train anyway.

There's no reason for them to release it for free at all. They should have priced it cheaper though. It looked and played no different than the console version that I had bought and beat for $20 a month earlier.

I'm not sure what it is that killed my interest. I enjoy the battle system, but the last few times I've sat down to play it, something about it just doesn't hold my interest.

I'm just a little bit further in than you and I'm in the same boat. Combats and ornament system are great but I'm just not finding the dialogue and story interesting at all. I really really want to like this game but I'm giving it a break and will try again further down the line. It's a bit hard to push on just for the combat when there is so much dull and irrelevant dialogue.

By contrast I started p3p and it's hooked me from the start. It's great.

Also got sound shapes. Campaign was short but great. Death mode is an awesome challenge. Beat mode is loads of fun and the level editor is fantastic. Bargin at its price as well.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Okay, so I took the plunge with the 1.80 (PSX) firmware update, I decided to pull the trigger and have it day one to replace my aging PSP1 for PSX playback.

I bought the wifi version for $262 (with FL sales tax included) at Best Buy and they gave me a $50 gift card so I got a starter kit with the protective case, screens, and 4 gig card. I know that isn't the 32gig card that GAF recommends but that card is $99 at BBY and I was like "fuck that" and didn't want to pay EXTRA with no protective screens or case (including the memory card even if it's 4 gigs), so someone tell me I did good and got a PSP2 for a steal or something before I get buyers remorse. D:

I still gotta pay Dreamgazer back... guess that's what my next two paychecks are going towards... *sigh*

TheSeks

If you bought a Vita to play PS1 games, I don't think you should've got a 4GB card, lol.

Well, I also got it for Persona 4 and a few fighting games (and LittleBigPlanet) but for now I already have PSX and PSP1 games from PSN to where I wasn't exactly needing a new game for the system and like I said the 32 gig was like $100 and I didn't want to pay like a bunch of stuff when I could just get a protective screen and case along with the memory card on BBY's dime. Didn't seem like a bad deal there.

Takao

Banned
Well, I also got it for Persona 4 and a few fighting games (and LittleBigPlanet) but for now I already have PSX and PSP1 games from PSN to where I wasn't exactly needing a new game for the system and like I said the 32 gig was like $100 and I didn't want to pay like a bunch of stuff when I could just get a protective screen and case along with the memory card on BBY's dime. Didn't seem like a bad deal there.

Well, I'm just saying you're probably only going to fit one or two PS1 games on a 4GB card.

TheSeks

Well, I'm just saying you're probably only going to fit one or two PS1 games on a 4GB card.

Nah, man. Unless the PSP2 takes up a LOT of space, I can probably get 3-4 games + one PSP1 game on there like my 4gig memorystick on the PSP1.

softie

Vagrant Story is about 80MB, CTR about 150MB, Sotn also under 200MB and many other PSone games are fairly small. FFs with their 1Gigs of data aren't really the average sized games. ;-)

TheSeks

Vagrant Story is about 80MB, CTR about 150MB, Sotn also under 200MB and many other PSone games are fairly small. FFs with their 1Gigs of data aren't really the average sized games. ;-)

Exactly. If you manage your space and games you can do pretty well with a 4 gig card. I did on the PSP1 for years
after they dropped to like $30

I do plan to get a 32gig card but not until it's on sale for less than $100. That's like half the price of the system which is just crazy.

patsu

Exactly. If you manage your space and games you can do pretty well with a 4 gig card. I did on the PSP1 for years
after they dropped to like $30

I do plan to get a 32gig card but not until it's on sale for less than $100. That's like half the price of the system which is just crazy.

*If* you're in US...
Amazon sells 32Gb for 79.99

You can get lower spec ones cheaper too.

TheSeks

I'm gonna slap PE1 and Bio2 (er-"RE2") and maybe PE2 to see if messing with the controls helps it on the portable on the system to see how much the OLED improves them. I do have the FF's digitally but I don't store them in the "fridge" for long-term.

demigod

Okay, so I took the plunge with the 1.80 (PSX) firmware update, I decided to pull the trigger and have it day one to replace my aging PSP1 for PSX playback.

I bought the wifi version for $262 (with FL sales tax included) at Best Buy and they gave me a $50 gift card so I got a starter kit with the protective case, screens, and 4 gig card. I know that isn't the 32gig card that GAF recommends but that card is $99 at BBY and I was like "fuck that" and didn't want to pay EXTRA with no protective screens or case (including the memory card even if it's 4 gigs), so someone tell me I did good and got a PSP2 for a steal or something before I get buyers remorse. D:

I still gotta pay Dreamgazer back... guess that's what my next two paychecks are going towards... *sigh*

You should've waited until tomorrow to buy it so you can get $50 gc+madden for free.

TheSeks

I have no interest in Madden. >_> Unless I'm able to flip that for $50 extra I don't see a loss there.

Ponn

Banned

Well, the majority of my PSone games waiting for transfer are FF games and Xenogears sooo...

I understand people are put off by memory card pricing, but i've always been of the mindset better to buy what you really need instead of paying for a stop gap and then paying more later.

16GB card on Amazon is $46

32GB is $80 and if you are willing to wait and do checking they drop 32GB cards in their warehouse deals for $60, same with 16GB cards for less. People just need to put a little effort in their buying.

For instance he got a $50 Giftcard and BB sells amazon gift cards. Could have flipped the cards to Amazon credit and either got a 16gb card and one of these cheap $3 cases or put that towards a 32GB card and only pony up $30 for the rest of it.

Raoh

If you bought a Vita to play PS1 games, I don't think you should've got a 4GB card, lol.

PS2 games are pretty small, PS1 even smaller.

4gb might be pushing it though, I bought the 3G model so I have an 8gb card that came with mine.

*If* you're in US...
Amazon sells 32Gb for 79.99

You can get lower spec ones cheaper too.

Which ones? I think the 32gb is still to high a price at $79.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom