• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsu

Ordered. Oddly enough I think the Amazon seller trying to sell it at $160 increased my desire to obtain one at a reasonable price. I can't wait.

In the endgame of P3P now. Vita is such the perfect platform for a game like this.

Heh heh, how long did it take you ?

Beckx

Heh heh, how long did it take you ?

Not as long as I feared. I'm around 40+ hours in. I haven't tried to do all the S-Links, just the ones I wanted. I should say that I'm referring to endgame as
everything after beating the 12th Shadow
so god knows how much time I have left. :D

But that's why the Vita is so excellent - I can get in a little time here and there, and, more importantly, suspend mid-dungeon or mid-event for days (so long as I'm mindful to keep it charged).

Vitacat

the only problem going digital is Lumines is still at $35.99 :| stupid SCEA

I think that's what I paid on Amazon for my cart copy (which is unopened and I will return).

Lumines is a game I don't mind paying good money for. It's one of the best puzzle games ever made IMO. Definitely one I would want permanently on my memory card.

Now here's the question: is Wipeout 2048 down to $19.99 on PSN yet?

In a few short hours the fate of the vita shall be decided. fears grasps me, my nipples harden, the rebirth approaches.

See you on the other side, my fellow vita whores.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
In a few short hours the fate of the vita shall be decided. fears grasps me, my nipples harden, the rebirth approaches.

See you on the other side, my fellow vita whores.
You have more excitement for this firmware update than everybody else in this thread combined. I'm happy for you though.

branny

Congrats on your purchase, Vitacat!

It still hurts to see how we're continuing to toil over the digital vs. retail thing. It really should not be an issue. I love the convenience of digital, but I hate the fact that purchases are that the mercy of Sony (or Nintendo or whoever). We shouldn't need to buy both versions. DVDs and Blurays have been offering digital vouchers for years now with physical purchases. Digital versions probably need to go down a bit more in price, while retail ones should at least have "first print" or preorder bonus vouchers for free or vastly discounted digital copies.

Cross Buy is a wonderful start, but it's not even confirmed to be happening outside of Europe as far as I know and doesn't exactly solve the issue at hand. Honestly, part of me wants the Vita to continue struggling for Sony to wake up and start making smarter, more desperate decisions. Selling more memory cards can't be a bad thing, and I seriously doubt publishers would make more money on the few now who double dip (usually splurging on digital before securing a heavily discounted retail copy later down the line) than they would from a mass of previously uninterested customers with more incentive to buy products right when they are released.

Persona 4 Solid Gold Edition is out of stock at Amazon.ca :|
Glad I got mine as soon as I heard about it especially for 59.99$.
This thing will sell for crazy numbers on eBay, I guess.

zroid

Banned

Naahh, I don't think it's "out of stock", per se. They probably just listed it prematurely. But when it does come back, it's safe to assume it'll be at the proper price of $69.99 :p

I don't even really want it, but I wish I got that 59.99 pre-order it while I had the chance. Just in case!

Naahh, I don't think it's "out of stock", per se. They probably just listed it prematurely. But when it does come back, it's safe to assume it'll be at the proper price of $69.99 :p

I don't even really want it, but I wish I got that 59.99 pre-order it while I had the chance. Just in case!

Let's wait and see. I just hope it's not dealers who got most of these copies though.

patsu

Bah... I can only be happy if Sony increase friends list limit to 150 or more. 8^(

EDIT:
Not as long as I feared. I'm around 40+ hours in. I haven't tried to do all the S-Links, just the ones I wanted. I should say that I'm referring to endgame as
everything after beating the 12th Shadow
so god knows how much time I have left. :D

I forgot the exact sequence of story events in the game. Didn't S-Link everything too. I beat all the monsters, including the optional ones behind the special doors, and those monster sidequests given by Elizabeth.

But that's why the Vita is so excellent - I can get in a little time here and there, and, more importantly, suspend mid-dungeon or mid-event for days (so long as I'm mindful to keep it charged).

Yap ! I went on to beat VC2. Now doing Corpse Party.

btw, I'm stuck in Corpse Party. The *%($%)* door closed on me, and I'm trapped in a room with no where to go. May have to reload from my last save. Haven't even seen the villain yet. >_<

Sol1dus

Getting an XL has shown me how dumb Near is. They called it the Vita. Because supposedly, I would want to take it everywhere and it would become part of my life. Nope.

Streetpass and Play Coins at least give me an inventive to go out and meet the peoples, take it to places.

I really hope Sony revamps the Near. The console is capable of a better OS and a better Near experience.

branny

As long as Eric Lempel does a video walkthrough for it, I'll forgive the lack of additional, unannounced features.
I could watch him talk videogames all day.

edit: ^I still don't know how to work Near.

patsu

Getting an XL has shown me how dumb Near is. They called it the Vita. Because supposedly, I would want to take it everywhere and it would become part of my life. Nope.

Streetpass and Play Coins at least give me an inventive to go out and meet the peoples, take it to places.

I really hope Sony revamps the Near. The console is capable of a better OS and a better Near experience.

I don't think Near is built to encourage taking Vita out. It's just a tool to help discover your gaming neighbourhood, or rather neighbourhood gaming.

It would be nice if it has some sort of goals (trophies) and currency though. Something like PS Home or hooked up with GameStop's promos.

As long as Eric Lempel does a video walkthrough for it, I'll forgive the lack of additional, unannounced features.
I could watch him talk videogames all day.

edit: ^I still don't know how to work Near.

Some overview here:
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/psvita/near/screen.html

Problem is the UI is too convoluted. And the purpose is unclear. So the users don't know where to go, and what to do with it.

Skyzard

Banned
That twitter quote, I think he was trying to build suspense. Otherwise he wouldn't even reply.

ONE OF YOU:

My Vita arrived! I LOVE IT. This thing is just amazing. So glad I bought it. I am praying Sony can turn Vita sales around, and give this thing the support and success it deserves.

So, I checked the screen in a totally dark space, and it seems great to me. No idea what some people are complaining about. Yes, I could barely, and I mean BARELY see some blotches, but ONLY when the screen was completely black and I was in a totally blackened room. As for lines and stuff, nothing that I could tell. For anyone else worried about the screen issues, don't. Best screen ever on a game system.

OTHER THOUGHTS:

I think I may go all digital. Which is funny, because a couple of years ago I was one of those anti-digital people. :eek:)

Having used iOS almost exclusively for the past couple of years for my portable gaming, I am so used to having all my apps on internal storage. And generally I tend to keep my games and not resell them anyway. Plus, something I read on another board got me thinking... What if a future Sony system has BC with Vita software, but only using digital the way Vita can use PSP software but only digital? Might be worth it to buy Vita apps digitally for future BC.

So, I went and ordered a 32GB card. Haven't opened my 16GB or any of my retail games from Amazon yet, so I will just return them for refund and... go digital. Almost can't believe I'm saying that, but yeah... I am.

Anyway, I am a very happy, proud member of this forum now. =)

BTW, my PSN name is Vitacat-P. I can't really use my Vita yet because I have to wait until my 32GB card arrives tomorrow, but once I'm all set I will start adding friends.

Fingers crossed for the 1.80 update soon. OK, see you all later.

Congrats Vitacat! that's a nice bundle you got yourself there. Digital is definitely the way to go...a few retail games won't matter too much, especially one-off games with large file sizes.

Glad to see you are pleased! The current games will easily last you till the next batch round the corner comes out as well! I recommend getting a Grip and perhaps a screen protector film as well. (CTA/PDP for grip and Hori/official for screen). Both quite cheap.

Yep, the screen's impressiveness really outweighs the small issues.

32GB will be very nice. Don't rush to fill it up though, tonnes of good games coming out too. I would also imagine the US might have Christmas Sales on the digital store. We had them in EU, especially on the launch titles, quite a few decent cuts. Said we should expect them again for christmas and I can't imagine US missing out on those as well.

Also about your earlier post, some retail games do have vouchers in them - I think Ridge Racer and Touch My Katamari had some decent ones (both games from Namco).

patsu

Yeah okay, the limited edition goodies is another area DD loses out.
Too bad for me. 8^(

when the hell are they gonna run a special on the vita again? They were doing some bundles and discounts initially but then they just stopped :(

Where do you live? At best buy you can get the Madden Vita bundle for $250 and get a $50 gift card. Don't like madden? They also have 100% trade in bonus so turn around and flip it for another gift card.

zroid

Banned
The position of the "upcoming blocks" on the screen in Lumines is absolutely terrible. I literally cannot move my eyes there for even a moment without screwing myself over.

They should have been positioned along the top, above the well. That's intuitive and wouldn't force you to look away from the action, as you have time to process what's coming next when the current block appears.

Skyzard

Banned
The position of the "upcoming blocks" on the screen in Lumines is absolutely terrible. I literally cannot move my eyes there for even a moment without screwing myself over.

They should have been positioned along the top, above the well. That's intuitive and wouldn't force you to look away from the action, as you have time to process what's coming next when the current block appears.

You're right, I try but never find myself looking often. Ontop would have been better for me too...but I guess it would be harder to pull off as well without taking up too much space/affecting background visuals.

Skyzard

Banned
Haha, Brera, I think it is a universal launch so just sometime tomorrow. Probably best not to wait for it tonight. I definitely won't be updating first either :p rarely do these days anymore....imagine the hassle if something happened.

I bought these SUPER CHEAP(price, not quality) Panasonic in ear headphones off amazon(you'll know they're the ones, because they have lots of reviews that are almost all positive!). They're nice and loud, and they come with different sized rubber tips for your ear holes.

Dude... Thank you so much for recommending these. Just bought them and they arrived today. They are surprisingly loud! I had to turn it down from my previous level I used for my other headphones. The sound quality is great and they are hella comfortable! Only $5!! The model number is RP-HJE120 in case anyone else is looking for them.

Teknoman

New? Tomba confirmed to be part of the initial compatibility package:

http://www.screwattack.com/news/ps-vita-update-180-enables-psone-classics

tomba5232.jpg

I'll buy it!

CLEEK

Speaking of... How many goats does a brotha have to sacrifice to get Rage Racer as a PS1 classic!? =(

I have no idea why Namco haven't put all their PSone games on the store. The usual reason why publishers don't are licensing / royalties, or getting them re-certified again isn't cost effective.

But Ridge Racer, Revolution, Rag, Tekken 3, Soul Edge would all be desirable so surely worth the cost to get onto PSN. And as far as I know, none of them use licensed music, just in-house tunes.

I gave up waiting for certain PSone games to ever make an appearance on US PSN, so either bought them from the Japanese store or tracked down the originals from eBay to play on my PS3. Not ideal, as they just playable on my PS3, but at least I have access to Einhander, Ray Storm, Raiden, Rage Racer, Tekken 3, Wip3out SE, GT etc whenever I feel like playing them again.

Lucent

I'm wondering this as well because when I saw this post, I was foaming at the mouth at the thought of having classic Sonic on my Vita. It's nowhere to be found on the Vita PSP store. Do I have to do one of those BS PS3 to Vita transfers? Is it even confirmed for NA PSN on Vita? I even did a search for it, no dice.

I think HOLV is a solid HM game but it can't compare to Boy & Girl, which has a port of Back to Nature. BTN is one of the greatest HM games. You should've read my post a few pages back man! Go get it, it's discounted as well! The load times are great and it's one of the most rewarding HM games I've ever played.

Crap. =[ I just got HOLV because the normal price was much higher and it looked better visually. I guess I sort of dismissed Boy and Girl because of the rounded looking characters and didn't think there'd be anything in it I couldn't do in HOLV. But after you said that I went and actually looked at some videos. Looks closer to the SNES original than the one I got. Only thing I didn't like in the video is all that mess you gotta clean up when you start, which you don't have to do at all in HOLV.

The firmware update date is strange. It should come before the tuesday update, but I don't remember important firmware updates being launched at same time than the US update. They usually put them in other days to prevent slowdowns in the download.

Beast780

I can't fricking wait!!! ...to play Tomba! tomorrow. I've downloaded a lot thanks to PSPlus, but roughly whats the average size of a PSone game?

The firmware update date is strange. It should come before the tuesday update, but I don't remember important firmware updates being launched at same time than the US update. They usually put them in other days to prevent slowdowns in the download.

I'm thinking it may come later tonight. It's officially Tuesday in Great Britain.

I can't fricking wait!!! ...to play Tomba! tomorrow. I've downloaded a lot thanks to PSPlus, but roughly whats the average size of a PSone game?

I think 500mb - 700mb, the biggest game I have is FF8 and that's 1.7gb or something. Obviously your big multi-disk games will be up there still.

branny

I remember the IQ demo creeping me out for some reason.

It's ridiculous that Tekken 3 isn't on the store, either, especially with 1 and 2 on there. It was one of the PS1's best fighting games. There are some seriously weird omissions all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom