• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadiWulf

So good to see that Sound Shapes has 10,000 levles :) If you haven't bought it yet you really should.

I just got done beating the main game a while ago, death mode is driving me crazy :)

i like the beats school thing though, it's neat, although hard for me, I'm not very musically inclined, but it seems like it could be a good way to learn how to make good sounding music for the levels, i made one quick experiment level yesterday just messing around, and the music I made isn't all that great!

Caelestis

I've been thinking of getting a Vita recently, but I am not familiar with all of the announcements for it so far. Are Madden/AC/CoD the only bundles that NA is getting this year? I don't find any of those games appealing. Would I be better off waiting until black friday to get one? x.x

I've been thinking of getting a Vita recently, but I am not familiar with all of the announcements for it so far. Are Madden/AC/CoD the only bundles that NA is getting this year? I don't find any of those games appealing. Would I be better off waiting until black friday to get one? x.x

LBP Vita, FIFA 13, and a PASBR bundle will also be available. Not sure if the other bundles are coming over here or not... and waiting all depends on you. Are there enough games available now that you want to play?

Caelestis

LBP Vita, FIFA 13, and a PASBR bundle will also be available. Not sure if the other bundles are coming over here or not... and waiting all depends on you. Are there enough games available now that you want to play?
LBP is something that I'd want so I'll go for it then whenever newegg adds it on their site. I already bought Gravity Rush and Time Travelers for it, and Zero Escape is coming out sort of soon. I'd say that would be enough for me at the moment. Thanks for the help. :)

Ok, so I have a $25 gift card to GS.
I can buy a Lumines:ES DD for $36, making it $10.99 out of pocket.

Will Lumines:ES stand the test of time where I want to own it digitally?
Help me decide -- I liked the demo, but it was hard to figure out what was going on... is it easy to pick up?

Grinchy

Banned
I just got done beating the main game a while ago, death mode is driving me crazy :)

i like the beats school thing though, it's neat, although hard for me, I'm not very musically inclined, but it seems like it could be a good way to learn how to make good sounding music for the levels, i made one quick experiment level yesterday just messing around, and the music I made isn't all that great!

I really loved Beat School. I blazed through all the levels until the last one. I'm one single note away from beating it and I just can't figure out what it is.

Skyzard

Banned
I know this isn't the All-stars thread (heavenly sword and medievil characters thread), but do you guys know if you actually get any more likely to be killed (are weaker) when you get hit in PSAS?

I know the bars only show your super build up at the moment but are people actually more likely to die when they have been hit more?

Otherwise seems a bit .... lacking.

Also any remaining slots for new characters? Still hoping on a Spyro/Crash!

Carl

I know this isn't the All-stars thread (heavenly sword and medievil characters thread), but do you guys know if you actually get any more likely to be killed (are weaker) when you get hit in PSAS?

I know the bars only show your super build up at the moment but are people actually more likely to die when they have been hit more?

Otherwise seems a bit .... lacking.

Not really. The more you get hit, the more Super the enemy builds up, so i guess in a way you're more likely to die the more you get hit. But not in the way you mean .

AwRy108

Ok, so I have a $25 gift card to GS.
I can buy a Lumines:ES DD for $36, making it $10.99 out of pocket.

Will Lumines:ES stand the test of time where I want to own it digitally?
Help me decide -- I liked the demo, but it was hard to figure out what was going on... is it easy to pick up?

Lumines ES is terrific, but, as someone who owns the game, I can safely say that it's not worth more than $20. Also, it's one of the few Vita games that I regret buying the physical copy of, as I think it would get a lot more play time if it didn't involve me switching physical media around.

Definitely put the game on your "must own" list, but wait for it to hit a more reasonable price. I think the official Sony stores are selling it for $20 now, but those B&M's are few and far between.

Skyzard

Banned
Not really. The more you get hit, the more Super the enemy builds up, so i guess in a way you're more likely to die the more you get hit. But not in the way you mean .

That just seems so alpha though. Incomplete sparfest of a game imo.... I'm hoping I'm wrong but it just gives me that feeling since every other fighting game I've ever played has that extra challenge...guess it was delayed but doubt it was to add this...like I said, hope I'm wrong about it and will definitely give it a go - signed up for that recent cross-play beta too... should be a decent preview.

If getting attacked doesn't affect weakness then do all super connects (1/2/3) instakill?

Roubjon

So I re-bought Rayman 1 for the thousandth time because I need to play it with the Vita screen. I also got Tomba after always wanting to play it since I bought Tomba 2 like 10 years ago. Then I kept spending money and bought Wild Arms because I love Wild Arms 3 and have yet to beat 1. So good.

Carl

That just seems so alpha though. Incomplete sparfest of a game imo.... I'm hoping I'm wrong but it just gives me that feeling since every other fighting game I've ever played has that extra challenge...guess it was delayed but doubt it was to add this...like I said, hope I'm wrong about it and will definitely give it a go - signed up for that recent cross-play beta too... should be a decent preview.

If getting attacked doesn't affect weakness then do all super connects (1/2/3) instakill?

It's a game design decision, so it won't be changed. There might be game modes where it's different though.

Yes, a super is an insta-kill if it hits you.

It sounds weird but from what i've heard it works well in gameplay. It brings an element of tactics into it.

Skyzard

Banned
Yeah actually it doesn't sound so bad. It could work like this since all the focus goes onto the meter and preventing people from building it up like you said. As opposed to wandering around stealing kills ;)

Yeah actually it doesn't sound so bad. It could work like this since all the focus goes onto the meter and preventing people from building it up like you said. As opposed to wandering around stealing kills ;)

If you're a smash bros. fan, you might like it.
I'm not.
I did not like it one bit. I played two matches, said "this is everything I hate about smash bros. and it's not fun to me" and promptly deleted it from my PS3. I'd give it another try to see if it's somehow better on Vita (I doubt it, but maybe if some of the more recent characters announced are in it, that would help too), but we'll see if I get in the second beta.

Skyzard

Banned
haha please do tell (incase i'm not in the next beta), what was it about ssb that you didn't like that was also in this? too much spamming moves to build up meter - and actually pulling it off?

Seems like it would be best to play with friends who aren't button bashers..

Iacobellis

Wow, I think I used to play Tomba! when I was really young. I'm not entirely sure, it could have been a demo on a PlayStation Underground disc. It just came to me after the talk of it being compatible with the Vita now. Were there any similar games at the time on the PS1?

haha please do tell (incase i'm not in the next beta), what was it about ssb that you didn't like that was also in this? too much spamming moves to build up meter - and actually pulling it off?

Seems like it would be best to play with friends who aren't button bashers..

(1) The extremely zoomed out camera because 4 players can be anywhere...
(2) While more complex than Smash, in move set list, it still felt like "Fighters for dummies" that Smash always has to me.
(3) Nothing felt like it had impact. I didn't feel like hitting another player actually did anything. There was no satisfaction.

I tried 2 matches as Parappa, as he was the only character (save maybe Kratos) that I gave a damn about in the beta and he just didn't feel right to me. I wasn't having fun. Net code seemed serviceable though.

I dunno, Smash was only ever fun for me with a my housemate while we used custom rules in a mega-item fest (mainly pokeballs). [This reminds me of how everyone seems to love Uncharted 2 multi when the only match I ever had fun was a round on the snow map during the beta where we were somehow spawning with RPGs...]

Anyway, yeah, not for me... but it really felt like Sony Smash to me, so I should think fans of Smash Bros. or people who want to beat up other Sony characters as their favorite character will have fun.

Quick

Banned
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 for the Vita is tempting me. PS Store easily accessible on the Vita is making impulse buying all too easy.

Skyzard

Banned
(1) The extremely zoomed out camera because 4 players can be anywhere...
(2) While more complex than Smash, in move set list, it still felt like "Fighters for dummies" that Smash always has to me.
(3) Nothing felt like it had impact. I didn't feel like hitting another player actually did anything. There was no satisfaction.

I tried 2 matches as Parappa, as he was the only character (save maybe Kratos) that I gave a damn about in the beta and he just didn't feel right to me. I wasn't having fun. Net code seemed serviceable though.

I dunno, Smash was only ever fun for me with a my housemate while we used custom rules in a mega-item fest (mainly pokeballs). [This reminds me of how everyone seems to love Uncharted 2 multi when the only match I ever had fun was a round on the snow map during the beta where we were somehow spawning with RPGs...]

Anyway, yeah, not for me... but it really felt like Sony Smash to me, so I should think fans of Smash Bros. or people who want to beat up other Sony characters as their favorite character will have fun.

Ah the first and the third are quite important to me as well. I was quite worried about the third particularly due to no meters...but you didn't get enough satisfaction (lol) from your meter building up?

I heard they improved the camera on the vita version so it focusses in more which is why i wasn't too worried about 1.

Smash was pretty basic for the moves list..and if there are items (which I haven't seen much of yet?) then the limited move set can still be interesting imo.

Thanks for the detailed response btw!

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 for the Vita is tempting me. PS Store easily accessible on the Vita is making impulse buying all too easy.

It's a good port and plays well.
I've had fun with my copy -- I'm waiting for the digital store price to come under $20, then I'll copy my save off and sell my cart.

Ah the first and the third are quite important to me as well. I was quite worried about the third particularly due to no meters...but you didn't get enough satisfaction (lol) from your meter building up?

I heard they improved the camera on the vita version so it focusses in more which is why i wasn't too worried about 1.

Smash was pretty basic for the moves list..and if there are items (which I haven't seen much of yet?) then the limited move set can still be interesting imo.

Thanks for the detailed response btw!

Part of my problem was figuring out which parappa I was, or what tiny person on the screen was me. With only online functionality (as far as I could tell), I could not try out characters 1 on 1 and learn anything prior to hopping in and getting my ass kicked. Trial by fire doesn't give newbies a good impression most times. :)
I'm a combo guy. I might not be good at it and the fact that this has more combos than smash (legitimate combos, at least) has kept my interest a little. Coupled with cross-buy, I haven't written it off completely yet.

Quick

Banned
It's a good port and plays well.
I've had fun with my copy -- I'm waiting for the digital store price to come under $20, then I'll copy my save off and sell my cart.

Best Buy and Future Shop had a sale on it for $29.99, but go figure that I was there today and didn't pull the trigger. The sale is done, too.

raven777

P4G came today. Going to be spending a lot of time on this now.

Just watched the opening clip of P4G on my Vita. I was disappointed when I saw it on youtube, but boy it looks amazing on Vita's oled!

Diebuster

All this MGS news is making me want to replay the games, but I have a question about transfarring: I'll get one of the Vita games now, but if I get one of the PS3 games later can I synch trophies without issue?

All this MGS news is making me want to replay the games, but I have a question about transfarring: I'll get one of the Vita games now, but if I get one of the PS3 games later can I synch trophies without issue?

I think it should be fine. The problems existed if you had a Peacewalker PSP save or pre-patch PS3 saves, I believe.

P4 Golden ? Is it out in US already ?

Assuming he imported...

Benedict

Sooo I got this error today on Montezuma Blitz and Pinball Arcade but not Near.
What's happening?

An error has occurred (C1-6427-9)
Followed by this message:

could not prepare the application to start

After trying a few times the Vita froze so I had to hard-reset.
The problem is still there after my reset.

Any suggestions?

The game seems to be loading in the background even though the error message comes up. I just got to the scratch-card part on Montezume while having the error window above it.

Something corrupt?

Maybe time to backup?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Yeah, it's kind of abject shit. Super Stardust Delta, Gravity Rush, Sound Shapes, Escape Plan, Uncharted: GA... purposeful troll & click bait is what you've got there.
Agreed. I don't know if there are enough games that making a top ten list is necessary, but there are plenty of games that are noteworthy.

I can't believe I clicked that link. I don't know what the hell I was expecting.

patsu

Sooo I got this error today on Montezuma Blitz and Pinball Arcade but not Near.
What's happening?

Followed by this message:

After trying a few times the Vita froze so I had to hard-reset.
The problem is still there after my reset.

Any suggestions?

The game seems to be loading in the background even though the error message comes up. I just got to the scratch-card part on Montezume while having the error window above it.

Something corrupt?

Maybe time to backup?

Reset to factory default seems to fix the problem for some.

Sync trophies and backup saves first.

KalBalboa

Banned
Agreed. I don't know if there are enough games that making a top ten list is necessary, but there are plenty of games that are noteworthy.

I can't believe I clicked that link. I don't know what the hell I was expecting.

The console is only a handful of months old in the US. A top ten list article is, if I had to guess, a jab at people trying to claim it has the most amazing library yet.

It's satire of desperation, maybe... yet it's a desperate attempt at satire (for clicks).

well you were not expecting jim sterling that's for sure

patsu

Is there a way to only backup saves?
I can only see you can copy saved data from PSP and PsOne games in the content manager.

You can backup saves only for PSP and PSOne games.

For Vita games, you need to copy the entire bubble. I think the Content Manager is smart enough to skip the binaries if it's not changed.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
The console is only a handful of months old in the US. A top ten list article is, if I had to guess, a jab at people trying to claim it has the most amazing library yet.

It's satire of desperation, maybe... yet it's a desperate attempt at satire (for clicks).
It seems strange to satirize the opinions of a rather small group of people, but again, I shouldn't be surprised. Virtua Tennis 4 deserves its own article though.

well you were not expecting jim sterling that's for sure
Every now and then somebody on GAF defends the guy and I thought I'd give him another chance. Nope, he still writes shitty articles and isn't the least bit funny.

Benedict

You can backup saves only for PSP and PSOne games.

For Vita games, you need to copy the entire bubble. I think the Content Manager is smart enough to skip the binaries if it's not changed.

Thanks for your help.

Should I backup single games or do a backup of the whole system?

I haven't done a backup yet of my system at all, I think.

After I have done a backup, should I restore it to my Vita and the problem will be gone?

edit: this is my start screen since yesterday by the way.

and this is Mickeys Wild Adventure (PsOne) on Vita:

Wild indeed...

patsu

Thanks for your help.

Should I backup single games or do a backup of the whole system?

I haven't done a backup yet of my system at all, I think.

After I have done a backup, should I restore it to my Vita and the problem will be gone?

Hmm... did you customize your Vita heavily ? I usually just backup the game saves and bubbles to cut down the copy time.

Remember to sync your trophies before you restore to system defaults.

Skyzard

Banned
Was it just me that never played ps1 games on ps3 or psp? Maybe as my psp was v1 and shoddy...but man, £4 crash bandicoot...steal..I'm already further then I ever got when I was young! Just been playing and playing it. Also having some challenging fun with wipeout.

Makes me almost want to buy a nice psp just for full ps1 emulation on a separate card..but then they wouldn't be all nice and together. Hopefully the ps1 classics get a nice boost from the vita crowd and they keep pumping them out (and add some touch controls to the ps1 emu on vita).

Quick

Banned
So, I bit the bullet and got UMvC3 off the PS Store. I forgot that the PS Store doesn't tax Canadians (I think), and I got it for the price as is. Not bad.

Also, what's the specific reason for not getting taxed? Specific Canadian law? Sony being nice (lol)?

Young Magus

Quick question:
When I'm in my wifi settings I see my PS3 being listed as a access point, does this mean I can get wifi via my PS3? Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom