• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
PSY・S;41689501 said:
Wait? When was this announced, and for what region? My subscription ended yesterday.

Same here, but I forgot to turn off the subscription and they took out money for another 3 months, I completely forgot to turn it off and was waiting for this offer to happen, lol.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
PSY・S;41689501 said:
Wait? When was this announced, and for what region? My subscription ended yesterday.
It was announced at Gamescom. However, I believe the deal is only for new subscribers.

fernoca

What Best Buy deal?

;)

It was the first time I tried it, and was easier than expected. You claim the offer on the site, show the Reward Zone/Gamers Club card and that's it. I also have the app and mentioned showing the cellphone to the cahsier with the instructions; but everything was automatic.

Just restored whatever was on the 4GB to the 16GB one I got. For some reason, everything trasnferred but the bubbles for Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Mortal Kombat.
But the saves and DLC were there still; so no biggie.

Vitacat

I'd gladly get the physical release for $36 or whereabouts, but for digital I'd rather get at 25% less than physical release or for half of the physical release's price.

Unfortunately that will probably never happen. Sony is Sony. The PSN prices are probably not going to change for many years. Even if/when they cut Gravity Rush's MSRP to $20 (as they have done for several big Vita games like Wipeout) it will remain at $36 digital.

I don't really think Sony wants people going digital on the Vita. It's there as an option, and to test the waters, but Sony (at least SCEA) seems to see Vita as a retail item with retail games, and that's how they're being marketed and priced.

Mzo

Fuck, i hate Fatman. Can't keep my aim on him on Vita >.<
You can use the auto-aim to knock him down, then shoot his head after he falls.

Every boss is made simple by the auto-aim, I wonder how many people try to get through Olga using first person shots when Snake can lock on to her and fire off a perfect shot instantly.

When you get to Vamp and CAN'T use auto-aim, it's supposed to be a whole thing. Here's something you've been using the whole game and it doesn't work anymore, oh noooo.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Just restored whatever was on the 4GB to the 16GB one I got. For some reason, everything trasnferred but the bubbles for Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Mortal Kombat.
Yeah, that's because those games have their data saved on the card itself. So everything is restored when you put the game back in.

Freaked me out the first time.

Retail, right? Yeah, the saves and data are still with the card.

Toki767

Unfortunately that will probably never happen. Sony is Sony. The PSN prices are probably not going to change for many years. Even if/when they cut Gravity Rush's MSRP to $20 (as they have done for several big Vita games like Wipeout) it will remain at $36 digital.

I don't really think Sony wants people going digital on the Vita. It's there as an option, and to test the waters, but Sony (at least SCEA) seems to see Vita as a retail item with retail games, and that's how they're being marketed and priced.
According to the PSN staff Sony didn't actually issue an official press release for the lower MSRP on some of those games like Wipeout 2048 so they don't be lowering the price to $20 until that happens.

fernoca

Yeah, that's because those games have their data saved on the card itself. So everything is restored when you put the game back in.

Freaked me out the first time.

Retail, right? Yeah, the saves and data are still with the card.

Good to know. Was like "No way I'm going to start the MK story mode...again. Well, I will anyway." (I think is the 6th time already, counting the 360 and PS3 versions, twice in te hcase of 360...and finishing it for a friend too. :p

Vitacat

According to the PSN staff Sony didn't actually issue an official press release for the lower MSRP on some of those games like Wipeout 2048 so they don't be lowering the price to $20 until that happens.

I emailed with Sony reps about this the other day, and my rep said he would forward my (polite and hopefully lucid) emails to higher ups. Now, you may be right, but whether or not there was a public announcement of those lowered MSRP's, one cannpt ignore that those games suddenly dropped prices exactly the same amount at every major retail outlet INCLUDING Sony's own retail stores (i.e. SonyStyle).

The message that sends is "we'd rather you buy retail, not digital." At least to me.

Most likely the result of Sony's difficulty in selling Vitas, and having to do something to convince big retailers to continue giving it shelf space. Cheap retail carts (that you can resell/trade) vs. more expensive DD that need big, expensive memory cards -- certainly pushes the buyer in a particular direction.

At Gamescom, for Europe. I think discount starts tomorrow and runs 2 weeks.

ALSO: wish we had an Email app. And when the heck are we gonna get Wakeup Club? I want a $250 alarm clock, yo.

Yeah, of course it's Europe.

SCEE is so much better than SCEA, it's really depressing for us Americans. Man, I love the Vita, and Vita games, but goddamnit SCEA sucks.

BY THE WAY: I bought Mutant Blobs last night, and OMG, money well spent! Most fun I've had with a platformer in ages. Helps to take the bitter taste of playing iOS platformers the past 2 years and pretending virtual controls were OK.

Hah. So they get all their pricing directives from the public relations department? Bullshit. They don't want to lower the prices. They gave up the 10% at the beginning, and they don't want to give any more. Until SCEA proves otherwise, further discounts will always lag behind on the Digital Downloads.

Carl

You can use the auto-aim to knock him down, then shoot his head after he falls.

Every boss is made simple by the auto-aim, I wonder how many people try to get through Olga using first person shots when Snake can lock on to her and fire off a perfect shot instantly.

When you get to Vamp and CAN'T use auto-aim, it's supposed to be a whole thing. Here's something you've been using the whole game and it doesn't work anymore, oh noooo.
Auto aim is cheating! :p

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I emailed with Sony reps about this the other day, and my rep said he would forward my (polite and hopefully lucid) emails to higher ups. Now, you may be right, but whether or not there was a public announcement of those lowered MSRP's, one cannpt ignore that those games suddenly dropped prices exactly the same amount at every major retail outlet INCLUDING Sony's own retail stores (i.e. SonyStyle).

The message that sends is "we'd rather you buy retail, not digital." At least to me..
Sony tried their hardest to get a DD-only console off the ground with the PSP Go. They'd MUCH prefer customers buy digital, imo, they're just happy to screw you in the meantime for doing so. That said, they're also probably trying to appeal to retail to keep the machine on their shelves.

Skyzard

Banned
@Vitacat - I think with retailers threatening to take the vita off the shelves, in America especially, they're trying to boost customers' reliance on retailers...

In EU they are pushing digital heavily!

SCEA really do need to catch up though, hopefully at least by the time the memory cards are improved/price dropped. Perhaps they're waiting for the userbase to grow more in the states so enough people will be requesting games from retailers [for a while to come, not sure the vita reached that minimum yet].

Otherwise SCEA are just evil/incompetent bastards right ;)

edit...beated by miles

I also hope we get an email app tbh, just that extra step closer to replicating a modern phone/ipad. It would be quite nice on vita too...seems like a lot of work though (especially for Sony lol).
If you are a fan of platforming and great games generally, I hope you've already nabbed sound shapes, seeing how you liked mutant blobs so much. I really enjoyed the game too, some great humour and platforming moments but SS brags serious replayability and a lot of fun too.
Hope we get to save (SS) community levels locally eventually, they seem to be getting enough suggestions for it at least.

Massa

@Vitacat - MLB had also had a price drop a little earlier this year. It was officially announced on the blog on July 16 and it dropped the next day on PSN. I have an e-mail from a retailer with the new price from June 9. That's why I'm expecting the new prices on PSN by the end of this month, although my impulse to buy Wipeout 2048 is completely gone by now.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I also hope we get an email app tbh, just that extra step closer to replicating a modern phone/ipad. It would be quite nice on vita too...seems like a lot of work though (especially for Sony lol). If you are a fan of platforming and great games generally, I hope you've already nabbed sound shapes.

E-mail app is kinda pointless since you can just m.gmail.com on the webbrowser (or m.yahoo.com/mail or m.hotmail.com or... whatever). I'd rather Nook/Kindle apps come before those, TBH.

Skyzard

Banned
That is true, it is always nice to have them for people with multiple email accounts/easier accessibility and integration with the other features etc...

But I also would like a pdf or book reader more yes. Or at least folders in the pictures app. And not resizing (downsizing) all images to the vita's resolution.

Carl

If you are a fan of platforming and great games generally, I hope you've already nabbed sound shapes, seeing how you liked mutant blobs so much. I really enjoyed the game too, some great humour and platforming moments but SS brags serious replayability and a lot of fun too.
Hope we get to save (SS) community levels locally eventually, they seem to be getting enough suggestions for it at least.

Definitely! LittleBigPlanet has local saving of levels, so hopefully we can get something like that in Sound Shapes. Not that it really matters to me, with a 3G Vita.

Skyzard

Banned
I didn't know about giffgaff before! (saw that it was what you were using) - was on O2 before...ridiculous data prices. I now use giffgaff exclusively..would have probably gotten a 3G too (although quite a bit more here) - it would be useful for other games that do things like this (like ridge racer's ghosts). I can't use my phones connection sharing with the vita like I had planned to ;{

Although it's always nice to have offline saving even if you are on 3G (airplane/beach/underground/network issues etc).

Really glad LBP has local saving, I remember accessing community levels in the first LBP was a bit of a pain. LBP is a no-brainer at this point. Really impressed with the quality especially as it isn't 1st party iirc.

Even if they weren't able to come up with as original or creative levels but rather faithful imitations from the previous sequels...we'll still have a buttload of custom levels to play.

demigod

@Vitacat - I think with retailers threatening to take the vita off the shelves, in America especially, they're trying to boost customers' reliance on retailers...

In EU they are pushing digital heavily!

SCEA really do need to catch up though, hopefully at least by the time the memory cards are improved/price dropped. Perhaps they're waiting for the userbase to grow more in the states so enough people will be requesting games from retailers [for a while to come, not sure the vita reached that minimum yet].

Otherwise SCEA are just evil/incompetent bastards right ;)

edit...beated by miles

With the way the Vita is selling, they might as well say fuck retailers and just stock the Vita in their own store or online. Even so, I still wouldn't trust SCEA to lower their digital prices. Look at PSP games, lol.

Carl

I didn't know about giffgaff before! (saw that it was what you were using) - was on O2 before...ridiculous data prices. I now use giffgaff exclusively..would have probably gotten a 3G too (although quite a bit more here) - it would be useful for other games that do things like this (like ridge racer's ghosts). I can't use my phones connection sharing with the vita like I had planned to ;{

Although it's always nice to have offline saving even if you are on 3G (airplane/beach/underground/network issues etc).

Yeah GiffGaff has pretty good data prices. Used Vodafone for a month to get wipeout, then switched to GiffGaff :) I don't use it constantly, i just top it up when i'm going to be doing a lot of travelling. Off on holiday (uh, again) at the end of the month, so will top up then. The week after LBP comes out, yay.

Thank christ i live nowhere near any underground stations ;) and the beaches round here have good internet connection. But yeah, offline saving of levels would still be nice.

Skyzard

Banned
^Nice switching, maximal vita bonus ;) giffgaff's payasyou go bundles are really convenient, don't feel like I'm just throwing away money for imaginary data restrictions that I don't even regularly use (with my previous provider)....and yeah underground is my least preferred method of (fast) travel :p [forget the beaches thing -you're right, they should get signal just fine haha, don't know what I was thinking - perhaps abroad etc]

@cyborg009 - nice find thanks! If anyone happens to come across some Sly Cooper Vita PAX footage I'd love to see it too. Heard recently that it wasn't running smoothly...but previously heard that it was great (e3).

With the way the Vita is selling, they might as well say fuck retailers and just stock the Vita in their own store or online. Even so, I still wouldn't trust SCEA to lower their digital prices. Look at PSP games, lol.

I reckon they can still turn it around for retailers! And it would be pretty risky to dump them altogether (not sure how many Sony stores they have in the US...but can't imagine it being comparable)...especially when they haven't really been targeting the younger generation yet who I think would probably use retail much more...and are traditionally the buyers of handhelds.

Was the PSP in the same situation? That really sucks if SCEA doesn't change their tune. I'd probably suggest getting a second memory card down the line for perhaps SCEE games when the memory card swapping becomes easier...if SCEA doesn't change their tune. Especially if you like digital as much as I do..i'm too lazy these days

Did SCEA have a good christmas PSN sale last year? SCEE have already been mentioning it in the occasional blog reply...would be pretty criminal if SCEA didn't this year, might be worth waiting (especially for some of the launch games) to drop.

And the first party games that recently had their MSRP drop.

Post-PAX Impressions:

Guacamelee is the game I want the most. Great style, fun music and script, good controls. You can push both bumpers to change the world, so other things pieces of environment or enemies appear (which I didn't know prior to the event). Drinkbox had their own booth set-up with PS3 version as well. Looks like it'll be a 2013 release. :( :( :(

Sine Mora looked incredible on the Vita. This is the other game I'm looking forward to the most from the floor. Smart As was very fun (no John Cleese VO in the demo), When Vikings Attack felt a little difficult, because I had no idea what was really happening; however, I had a smile on my face the whole time. I played All Stars a bit on Vita against people who played with PS3 controllers; didn't notice any lag between the two. Actually preferred playing on the Vita vs. PS3.

Didn't get to play Retro City Rampage or Assassin's Creed 3, because the line was "too long" (as in, there was one person waiting to play all the time). Assassin's Creed seemed to be the most popular though.

lepo

Post-PAX Impressions:

Guacamelee is the game I want the most. Great style, fun music and script, good controls. You can push both bumpers to change the world, so other things pieces of environment or enemies appear (which I didn't know prior to the event). Drinkbox had their own booth set-up with PS3 version as well. Looks like it'll be a 2013 release. :( :( :(

Sine Mora looked incredible on the Vita.3.

2 games I am really looking forward to

Thanks for the update

I was searching for the release date a few days ago because I was sure that it was due some time this year. I eventually found a PSblog post from one of the Drinkbox guys saying that they were hoping to complete it this year for a release early next year. That was disappointing. :/

I expect it to be one of the more popular PSN games once it's released. Co-op Metroidvania gameplay should be huge.

It's so bizarre seeing you without a moe girl avatar.
He changes his avatar like every other day, so I'm sure he'll go back to a moemoekyun~ avatar by the end of next week.
i'm playing valkyria chronicles so i'm probably gonna alternate between some of my favorite characters(Rosie today)

Nice...

Yeah, $40 on PSN vs. $15 retail. Hmm.
$15 retail. You don't need MK everywhere you go, do you?

Silent Hill: Book of Memories Interview from PAX. Has some gameplay clips, but I'm not sure if they are new or not.
Can't watch right now, so how does it look? Looked pretty bad last I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom