• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm finally starting to get the hang of Treasure Park and it's sorta easier. When you get a board via friends or near, you look to the side to see what icons they give are in what spot(for example: there's a coin in yellow, a bomb in red and yellow, or something) and go off of that. When you find a coin, you'll either see white dots or a treasure chest. Using the color hints on the side and the block placement, you may be able to determine what is what. I... still don't really get it since I just started getting the hang of it and I'm an awful teacher, so there!

edit: omg, let me edit in peace

no

Vitacat

So...the Vita has been hacked and Vita homebrew will be on its way:

http://wololo.net/2012/09/05/usermode-vita-loader-devs-needed/

Maybe this will kick start sales?

On one hand I am very pro-homebrew, so yay. On the other hand, I am very anti-piracy during the first 2 or 3 years of a system's life, especially a struggling platform like Vita.

I just hope the hackers are intelligent enough to hold back for at least a year to give Vita devs a chance to make some frikkin money. :-/ *sigh*

But... if worst comes to worst, Vita will probably be one helluva emulation platform someday.

On a happier note, I just snagged Lumines ES used at Gamestop for $19 using that $10 off used games coupon code (EBC3034713) and also picked up the Vita rechargeable battery pack for only $29. It's supposed to be a great battery, and also works with cell phones and pretty much any gadget that charges via USB. Will be nice to have on long plane rides.

Carl

So i just realised i've only actually bought maybe 3 retail PS3 titles this year. Been buying too much on Vita. Lol.

Skyzard

Banned
On one hand I am very pro-homebrew, so yay. On the other hand, I am very anti-piracy during the first 2 or 3 years of a system's life, especially a struggling platform like Vita.

I just hope the hackers are intelligent enough to hold back for at least a year to give Vita devs a chance to make some frikkin money. :-/ *sigh*

But... if worst comes to worst, Vita will probably be one helluva emulation platform someday.

I feel the same way - I want homebrew/emulation (just n64, especially if Sega releases the ultimate genesis collection) but I'm thinking long term 3 years or so. In the mean time let the devs retain their interest.

It has to be done though - CMA is too much of a restriction for long-term ownership. [won't go into that paranoia again though ;)]

Grinchy

Banned
Are you saying that Treasure Park takes days to figure out, and then when you finally understand what you're doing, you're not sure what the point of it all is?

lol that was definitely my experience with Near too. I don't dislike it or anything but it felt very odd to me at first.

Skyzard

Banned
^not worth it with the vita to be honest. Especially if you aren't pirating your games (just want homebrew).

really enjoying kurushi now :) - word of warning it is over 300mb (EU store still doesn't show sizes :S:S::S:S:S:S).

patsu

It will kickstart piracy and kill 3rd party support and my interest in the system. My whole hesitation with buying a Vita has been its future potential and how shaky it already is. I don't need anything helping that out.

I think we can relax in the mean time. The exploit does not enable piracy.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
^not worth it with the vita to be honest. Especially if you aren't pirating your games (just want homebrew).
I wouldn't mind being able to rip my Dreamcast games and play them on my Vita if emulator support comes along. A decent document viewer for comics would also be great. I don't know if I'd actually hack my Vita until it became as easy and clean as PSP hacking is now, but I'm still open to the idea.

Skyzard

Banned
@lunch I don't really think a dreamcast emulator is all that possible on the vita? Would be fantastic but going by the specs the PC ones require....besides sega is doing a good job with some of the ports so far :) [edit: I'm not so sure actually, no clue, perhaps down the road as it is a lot better specs then DC) and if they can emulate it properly.. still, getting my JSR fix so not too worried if it would happen or not!] - I wouldn't want to lose PSN connectivity either...too useful on vita.

Comic viewer and few other homebrew apps I'd like as well...perhaps sony will be lenient with the PSmobile apps...

Just noticed in the "kurushi final" game mode there is a Rules section with 2 vids at least. should help if you're still struggling

Skyzard

Banned
So treasure park comes with 0 default sheets? The tutorial was pretty terrible...can't even redo it....anyone enjoying the app?

oldmario

really enjoying kurushi now :) - word of warning it is over 300mb (EU store still doesn't show sizes :S:S::S:S:S:S).

Speaking of the EU store not showing sizes, i was thinking about making a spreadsheet of the sizes to help out people that are considering buying the game for their vita, buying a memory card size suited to what they need ect...

But i'm not sure on how to do it yet since i was planning on doing the entire store and posting it on the EU ps forums, obviously i wouldn't have the ability to do this myself since i don't own all psn titles

Just noticed in the "kurushi final" game mode there is a Rules section with 2 vids at least. should help if you're still struggling

They somewhat helped, i'll try play the game with the new knowledge of how to play it

zroid

Banned
So treasure park comes with 0 default sheets? The tutorial was pretty terrible...can't even redo it....anyone enjoying the app?

I desperately want to enjoy it, but it seems Sony has done nearly everything in their power to prevent that from happening.

Carl

Speaking of the EU store not showing sizes, i was thinking about making a spreadsheet of the sizes to help out people that are considering buying the game for their vita, buying a memory card size suited to what they need ect...

But i'm not sure on how to do it yet since i was planning on doing the entire store and posting it on the EU ps forums, obviously i wouldn't have the ability to do this myself since i don't own all psn titles

But between all of the EU Vitabros we probably have most of them

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
What's the point of Near anyway ?

I finally found one person "near" me. And i got something for Unit 13 ( i don't even own that game ). And said it would expired in like 3 hours or so. Is it just to check who's playing what and get "things" for games ?

Also , i got my first retail Vita game ( making that two vita games yay! ) and i had forgotten how tiny the boxes were.

Toki767

What's the point of Near anyway ?

I finally found one person "near" me. And i got something for Unit 13 ( i don't even own that game ). And say it would expired in like 3 hours or so. Is it just to check who's playing what and get "things" for games ?

Also , i got my first retail Vita game ( making that two vita games yay! ) and i had forgotten how tiny the boxes were.
It tells you what people are playing around you to help you meet people who have similar taste in games. Some games also gift things like costumes or music or other in game items not only to random people you meet but to people in your friends list. Think of it as street pass on the 3DS but without having to actually pass by someone.

Takao

Banned
Cross post:

There's an official (?) Twitter account that retweets people's pics. There's some great stuff there:

A1S5jb7CEAAuS4q.jpg

Azi8gQeCUAApPLr.jpg

Click the thing on the top of the quote to go to the Paint Park thread.

Skyzard

Banned
I desperately want to enjoy it, but it seems Sony has done nearly everything in their power to prevent that from happening.

Same here, I quite enjoy minesweeper so thought I'd like this..but it feels so limited and confusing at the moment anyway. Maybe just because all I can sort of piece together is that some items are good some are bad and the colours give clues about positions :S hopefully there is a bit more depth to it...will wait for a decent youtube vid explaining it... in english. Worst programmed tutorial ever imo.

It seems fairly skippable. Zen Pinball 2 is really where it's at.

Glory be the Pinball

Surprisingly I'm really enjoying the pinball game - got the classic tables (for free with psn bug I think?-unless it comes with) and been playing them just now - really quite fun even though I tend not to play pinball much at all before.

The vertical (rotated vita) view is really nice too. The classic tables seem ok after a few quick playthroughs but I'm tempted to buy the mars table..quite simple but fun...any table recommendations would be appreciated..might check youtube later too.
Nice it can all be done in-game too but shame you can't delete unwanted tables for extra space..

But between all of the EU Vitabros we probably have most of them

Yeah that would so damn useful for us in EU...especially with impulse buys that end up being huge! Space these days is pretty low too. I'm sure we can put together a decent list. Perhaps a shared google doc...I'm just making little notes next to the games in a text file at the moment but it isn't a long list.

also to oldmario - definitely go back to kurushi - fun game, and surprisingly decent audio and voices too.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Did Guilty Gear: XX: TMC: #Reload get pulled off PSN? I see the PSP verison of GG:XX:TMC:^Core but no #R. :(

Not a huge deal since ^C is $10 and the latest version but really weird as I kinda wanted the #R version. :(

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
It tells you what people are playing around you to help you meet people who have similar taste in games. Some games also gift things like costumes or music or other in game items not only to random people you meet but to people in your friends list. Think of it as street pass on the 3DS but without having to actually pass by someone.

I see, but how does it work ? Does it keep checking around if the Vita is in sleep mode like street pass ?

brentech

Surprisingly I'm really enjoying the pinball game - got the classic tables (for free with psn bug I think?-unless it comes with) and been playing them just now - really quite fun even though I tend not to play pinball much at all before.

The vertical (rotated vita) view is really nice too. The classic tables seem ok after a few quick playthroughs but I'm tempted to buy the mars table..quite simple but fun...any table recommendations would be appreciated..might check youtube later too.
Nice it can all be done in-game too but shame you can't delete unwanted tables for extra space..

The 'Blade' table is one of my favorites. I have the Classic Marvel pack, and then the new pack with Avengers, but I haven't played that yet, just bought it.
Of the First four: Blade > Spiderman > Wolverine > Ironman

Ironman might be better than I think, but for some reason it comes out really bland for me. Not sure if I'm just bad at it and not seeing more of what it has to offer. Since these aren't real tables a lot of table changes can occur and really change it up for you.....so that's a possibility there.

Hello everyone. I just got my Vita today. Got MGS, Marvel and Gravity Rush.

I apologise if this has been answered before. I bought Peace Walker on PSN back when it came out. Now when I search my download list on the Vita it says "Can't be downloaded on to vita".

Can anyone help me get this downloaded?

decaf

Hello everyone. I just got my Vita today. Got MGS, Marvel and Gravity Rush.

I apologise if this has been answered before. I bought Peace Walker on PSN back when it came out. Now when I search my download list on the Vita it says "Can't be downloaded on to vita".

Can anyone help me get this downloaded?

Sounds like you'll need to download it on PS3/PC first then transfer it across.

Skyzard

Banned
fernoca - nice collection! and I know what you mean lunch

The 'Blade' table is one of my favorites. I have the Classic Marvel pack, and then the new pack with Avengers, but I haven't played that yet, just bought it.
Of the First four: Blade > Spiderman > Wolverine > Ironman

Ironman might be better than I think, but for some reason it comes out really bland for me. Not sure if I'm just bad at it and not seeing more of what it has to offer. Since these aren't real tables a lot of table changes can occur and really change it up for you.....so that's a possibility there.

Excellent thank you for the recommendations, will check them out as soon as the vita is charged back up!

MDavis360 I am pretty sure you can transfer it...but only from ps3 :( hopefully someone else can confirm exactly - haven't got the game. Also congrats on picking up the vita!
---btw about peace walker, i was reading the ps blog comments and one of the replies mentioned peace walker HD coming to psn soon (separate from the collection) (but I'm pretty sure that was for PS3).

Vitacat

Well, add another one.

Got it for $22, so...why not? :p
Just starting, so no impressions, but it does look pretty. ;D

This marks my 10th Vita game. :p

Enjoy! Gravity Rush is amazing IMO.

My Vita games so far (not counting PSN free games and demos):

Retail carts:
-Lumines ES
-Uncharted GA
-Wipeout 2048
-Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Digital from PSN:
-Gravity Rush
-Velocity (PSP Mini, great little game)
-Mutant Blobs Attack

Pretty settled now with the mixture of retail/digital, but might someday "upgrade" to digital versions of some retail games that I'd like to always have on hand, like Wipeout 2048. I plan to take it easy for a few weeks so I can concentrate on what I have. Only other game I might pickup soon is Mortal Kombat, because I'd like a fighting game and that looks like a good overall package. Plus I can get it for $18 used.

As somebody who doesn't own a single boxed game, it makes me weirdly happy to see other people's Vita collections.

Yeah, the little blue boxes are quite attractive. In a perfect world I could buy boxed Vita games in stores for retail prices with digital download codes inside instead of carts. I know it sounds stupid, but the only reason I buy retail is because it's sooo much cheaper, and I like the boxes. :p That would be a happy medium for me, but probably won't ever happen.

TheSeks

Final Fantasy Tactics looks good with Bilinar Filtering on, but at the same time it's kinda fuzzy/blurry. I blame it being blown up slightly from the PSP resolution or maybe it's just my eyes playing tricks on me? Is there any way to shrink the resolution to the PSP's native res?

fernoca - nice collection! and I know what you mean lunch

Excellent thank you for the recommendations, will check them out as soon as the vita is charged back up!

MDavis360 I am pretty sure you can transfer it...but only from ps3 :( hopefully someone else can confirm exactly - haven't got the game. Also congrats on picking up the vita!
---btw about peace walker, i was reading the ps blog comments and one of the replies mentioned peace walker HD coming to psn soon (separate from the collection) (but I'm pretty sure that was for PS3).

When I try to connect my Vita it says it can't find any content to transfer. Which is weird because there's a few PSP games and PSone games.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Final Fantasy Tactics looks good with Bilinar Filtering on, but at the same time it's kinda fuzzy/blurry. I blame it being blown up slightly from the PSP resolution or maybe it's just my eyes playing tricks on me? Is there any way to shrink the resolution to the PSP's native res?
The game is stretched vertically, and while I don't own the game, I don't think that it's possible to change that, which is the main reason I've yet to purchase the game.

Skyzard

Banned
When I try to connect my Vita it says it can't find any content to transfer. Which is weird because there's a few PSP games and PSone games.

They need to be the installation "bubbles" not just the regular game files - to be able to transfer it to the vita..might have to redownload from your download list (don't need to delete anything though).

Btw brentech - you're right blade table rocks on zp2!

TheSeks

The game is stretched vertically, and while I don't own the game, I don't think that it's possible to change that, which is the main reason I've yet to purchase the game.

It didn't look that bad on the PSP1 screen. :/ I mean it being blown up is a given since it wasn't a native 16:9 resolution but it didn't look blurry/out of focus like this. :/

One thing I did notice is that slowdown, while still there, seems less prevalent. There's some framerate drops but it's pretty smooth with no lag like the original release. Or maybe me not seeing it in three years is playing tricks on me.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
It didn't look that bad on the PSP1 screen. :/ I mean it being blown up is a given since it wasn't a native 16:9 resolution but it didn't look blurry/out of focus like this. :/

One thing I did notice is that slowdown, while still there, seems less prevalent. There's some framerate drops but it's pretty smooth with no lag like the original release. Or maybe me not seeing it in three years is playing tricks on me.
I'm actually of the opinion that most PSP games look worse on the Vita screen (Patchwork Heroes being the most egregious), so I believe you. The bilinear filtering is also to blame, although some people prefer it on.

The PSN release was noted to have the same slowdown issues, so outside of something incredible occuring and the PSP2 Vita changing that, it was probably more of a placebo effect when you originally played the game.

TheSeks

I'm actually of the opinion that most PSP games look worse on the Vita screen (Patchwork Heroes being the most egregious), so I believe you. The bilinear filtering is also to blame, although some people prefer it on.

Well, I did have a "EH-GAWD" moment with Street Alpha 3 as well but I've kinda adjusted to that. But I do think Yosp/Sony team should allow the native resolution of the PSP1 screen in the emulator like they allow you to have native res (or a slightly blown up like the TV screen but not completely stretched/blown out aspect ratio) option. It would go a long way to making the games look sharp, IMO.

Megatron

As somebody who doesn't own a single boxed game, it makes me weirdly happy to see other people's Vita collections.

I'd really rather be a digital only Vita user. I love selecting the games and being able to jump from game to game without bringing the cards with me. But I haven't been able to resist the sales. Rayman, Mod Nation and MK all $10 each? I would have paid more than the cost of all of those COMBINED just for one on the digital store even today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom