• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyzard

Banned
MHU has been a nice addition in a few ways *taps nose* - thanks for the full link, will queue it up.

Playlists still not supported in the youtube app right? Perhaps that's what's causing the delay to the PS3 version...if that isn't out yet that is, haven't checked. Hopefully we'll get that soon.

Don't lose faith lepo. Good times to come.
kumbaya my lord

Let's see some NFSMW and All-Stars footage already >.< !

Takao

Banned
You remembered correctly..but there is no way man. It just won't happen. Especially for MH, that game sells consoles in Japan right? Imagine how much they'd want an online dual-stick handheld one in another 2 years? Userbase would have grown too and it might actually be a decent version by then. Just seems like a complete waste not to do it. Although I understand why they'd want to wait now.

Also no online mode even on the Wii U version just seems so strange to me unless they were planning a heavily online version for a different platform(s) down the road..ps3/360?/vita MH- announced in 2013 for 2014 !

When 3DS has both MH3G, and MH4 it'll be too late for MH to do anything for Vita. People will already own their MH device.

There is an online mode for MH3GU on Wii U. 3DS version doesn't have it, and I doubt a potential Vita MH game would either.

Skyzard

Banned
When 3DS has both MH3G, and MH4 it'll be too late for MH to do anything for Vita. People will already own their MH device.

There is an online mode for MH3GU on Wii U. 3DS version doesn't have it, and I doubt a potential Vita MH game would either.

Ah I didn't realise, makes a lot more sense on both points really. Shame.

Since it's on Vita, has anyone had any turnoffs about vanguard bandits (I bought Tomba and FF, but I don't want to waste my time hating a 5.99 game)? Is is as fun as a tactics ogre or an advance wars?

I remember absolutely HATING the font used in the game but overall it was mildly entertaining. I think I enjoyed because I had the hardcover strategy guide, I wonder if I would have liked it as much without it though.

Mondriaan

I suspect that the series peaked with Third and it doesn't matter that they're on the 3DS and it would have made no difference if they had chosen to stick with a Sony portable.

MH was a cutting edge game a long time ago, but I don't think Capcom's doing enough to prevent the onset of franchise fatigue. The PSP was something unique when it came out and MH complemented the system well; nowadays a typical smart phone can throw out visuals that are equal to anything the 3DS can do, and this is bad for MH and whatever portable non-smart phone system it's on.

Takao

Banned
I suspect that the series peaked with Third and it doesn't matter that they're on the 3DS and it would have made no difference if they had chosen to stick with a Sony portable.

MH was a cutting edge game a long time ago, but I don't think Capcom's doing enough to prevent the onset of franchise fatigue. The PSP was something unique when it came out and MH complemented the system well; nowadays a typical smart phone can throw out visuals that are equal to anything the 3DS can do, and this is bad for MH and whatever portable non-smart phone system it's on.

Just because something has peaked doesn't mean it still can't be a huge seller. Vita would be in a much better position if that franchise was tied to it.

nordique

Does anyone among Vita-GAF know if I had put $50 worth of PSN points on my PSN account via my Vita, can I redeem it on PS3 as well?

I am all of a sudden very interested in Tokyo Jungle, and have recently reacquired a ps3 :p

patsu

Does anyone among Vita-GAF know if I had put $50 worth of PSN points on my PSN account via my Vita, can I redeem it on PS3 as well?

I am all of a sudden very interested in Tokyo Jungle, and have recently reacquired a ps3 :p

Yes, you can spend the PSN $ on PS3 or Vita or PSP software. They are not points but dollars.

lepo

Just because something has peaked doesn't mean it still can't be a huge seller. Vita would be in a much better position if that franchise was tied to it.

Yes.. Vita would be saved in Japan if that was the case

There's always a change that Soul Sacrifice could become the next big thing .. the same way MoHun did a few years ago

You never know with Japan

beason52

Neo Member
If PSO2 actually comes out on vita I think it could do a lot for the perception of online gaming on a handheld. Similar to how it was so revolutionary on dreamcast. Could be a big hit in japan

Fox1304

Never saw that we now get a notification when someone comments something on an activity feed.
About time.
And nice touch on the smaller notifications too.

Eusis

Yes.. Vita would be saved in Japan if that was the case

There's always a change that Soul Sacrifice could become the next big thing .. the same way MoHun did a few years ago

You never know with Japan
Usually if that happens it's because something is significantly unique, or at least wasn't something that wildly caught on before but now has managed to rope people in for whatever reason. I suspect Soul Sacrifice won't be that kind of game, whether or not it's actually superior.

Takao

Banned
more like 5%

SCE has never had an IP that has sold 4 million units in Japan (which is what MHP3rd did on PSP in 2010) before. 0.01% may have been too generous. ;)

If PSO2 actually comes out on vita I think it could do a lot for the perception of online gaming on a handheld. Similar to how it was so revolutionary on dreamcast. Could be a big hit in japan

It's free to play, and likely will be a download off of PSN so it would be hard to track its' performance.

Could be a good TGS for Vita, correct me if I'm wrong but the only "big" 3rd party not port announced for WiiU was Bayo 2. I know it's popular on gaf but thats not exactly a big deal in the general scheme of things.

There will no doubt be some more WiiU annoucements at TGS especially for Q2/spring next year but if there was a big deal coming before march I feel nintendo would have wanted it shown on one of their 3 streams.

I guess it could still be meh if everything is 3ds/gree or PS3 but I guess we will see.

lepo

SCE has never had an IP that has sold 4 million units in Japan (which is what MHP3rd did on PSP in 2010) before. 0.01% may have been too generous. ;)

If some game can do it that would be Soul Sacrifice

it's dark, violent, has a weird new mechanic of sacrificing other players

It could became a phenomenon btw japanese school kids

something the cool kids at school would play instead of MH :)

That said of course chances are really low

Sintoid

Good Morning VitaGaf, I think I've got a problem

I started Motorstorm Artic Edge on PSV this morning, it was a couple of weeks since my last race... but it didn't started and blocked my PSVita. I tried a couple of times but it didn't work.
I'll re download the game in the evening because I suppose that something has happen to the file, in the meantime anyone is playing the game with Firmware 1.8? Does it work to you?

Kazerei

Banned
I GOT A DOUBLE EAGLE IN HOT SHOTS GOLF!

On a par 5 in the Maple Leaf course, and I was able to reach the green in 2. Just by luck, the ball rolled like 20 feet into the hole. Now maybe if I'm even more lucky I'll get a homing/rising/spiral shot one of these days...

Still can't get near to work, tried skyhook twice now but it just doesn't seem to want to happrn

My near acts a bit strage since the update to. If i refresh the symbol wirls, a message says my location has be done etc then the symbol will wirl indefinitely. If I then close the app completely il get my message about game good etc, then when I reload the app they are there. I think the latest update just broke it slightly.

As for Ecolibrium. Its pretty fun. Addictive as well. Im doing a few challenges at the moment. Its just one of those games where you load it up. build a few things and tweak some stuff then let the game get on with it. Come back later in the day and see if anything needs doing etc etc. Quite relaxing. Im sure il get bored of it in a few weeks but for now, its free and fun.

I saw retail copies of Everybodys Golf, Little Deviants, Modnation Racers and Reality Fights for 9.99€ today. Hopefully I can get Wipeout for that price in a couple of weeks, too.

Moobabe

I saw retail copies of Everybodys Golf, Little Deviants, Modnation Racers and Reality Fights for 9.99€ today. Hopefully I can get Wipeout for that price in a couple of weeks, too.

I can get a wifi Vita from work for £112... worth it? Or wait til Christmas and a potential price drop (and games)

Moobabe

Don't know if it is worth it for you, but you probably wont find a better deal than that in the coming months.

Well "pre-owned" Vitas are £149.99 - I say pre-owned but the ones we have are mint and may well have memory cards in them - then I get discount on top of that. They may well get a little cheaper in the coming months - but I do have a lot of PSOne classics to play...

I can get a wifi Vita from work for £112... worth it? Or wait til Christmas and a potential price drop (and games)

Thats still way cheaper than even a potential price drop. The hardware contained in this thing, that price is a steal.

I saw retail copies of Everybodys Golf, Little Deviants, Modnation Racers and Reality Fights for 9.99&#8364; today. Hopefully I can get Wipeout for that price in a couple of weeks, too.

Those titles are all £11.99 (or there abouts) on PSN so its no wonder you can get them that cheap at retail. Wipeout is still full price on PSN.

Saying that, Wipeout is totally worth every penny if you like the series. Its really good. You might be able to get a deal for £20 if you shop around but I doubt it will go cheaper than that for a while.

metalshade

I have a very strong and shameful urge to play dungeon hunters alliance!
Somebody please help me, is there anything available on Vita now that is similar?
Either from PSone, PSP, or minis?
If not possible, where can I get it REALLY cheap?
I am in Europe btw, for compatibility confusion.
Oh, no Japanese stuff please. Or turn based. Doesnt float my boat.

pixelbox

As I said beforehand, it all boils down to price. People here wants to "lol" about the 3DS XL catching up to vitas LTD, there's still a huge price gap between the two. The fact is at the very least you pay $270 for a vita. That's the cheapest, and vita has tl go up against $199 Pikachu addition. As for MH it's clear Capcom recieved moneyhats after Nintendos conference. Once a price drop happens and their contract end there will be a MH on it. By that time who knows what the forcast hold for the industry.

Somebody please help me, is there anything available on Vita now that is similar?
Oh, no Japanese stuff please. Doesnt float my boat.
It's a very average game, but I did get some enjoyment out of it. For the PSP you have:
• Dungeons & Dragons Tactics
• Dungeon Siege
• Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade
• Untold Legends: The Warrior's Code
• X-Men Legends

Moobabe

As I said beforehand, it all boils down to price. People here wants to "lol" about the 3DS XL catching up to vitas LTD, there's still a huge price gap between the two. The fact is at the very least you pay $270 for a vita. That's the cheapest, and vita has tl go up against $199 Pikachu addition. As for MH it's clear Capcom recieved moneyhats after Nintendos conference. Once a price drop happens and their contract end there will be a MH on it. By that time who knows what the forcast hold for the industry.

Things like FIFA, COD and AC are big draws for the system as well though. Maybe not "OMG I NEED A VITA" system sellers but solid additions to the library and good reasons for people who are hesitant to jump in. granted - I prefer handheld experiences rather than console-lite versions - but a lot of people don't.

I've got my fingers crossed that the Vita does well - it's such a great piece of kit.

Tailer

Depends where you live, in Sweden the Vita is cheaper than the 3DS XL unless you're including online shops.

pixelbox

Things like FIFA, COD and AC are big draws for the system as well though. Maybe not "OMG I NEED A VITA" system sellers but solid additions to the library and good reasons for people who are hesitant to jump in. granted - I prefer handheld experiences rather than console-lite versions - but a lot of people don't.

I've got my fingers crossed that the Vita does well - it's such a great piece of kit.
The people that I talk to said they want it but it cost too much. A price drop would reveal if that is true or not.

I think that's a fallacy - if a system has the software to back it up people will pay good money for it (to a point)

Yup, I agree.

Look at apple. They make people believe they need that device in there life. Sony clearly dont know how to do this.

If people want a product they will clearly pay a lot for it.

Most people prob just think the vita is a psp 2 and not clued up about it. I personally use mine as a tablet and a gaming device. Son need to add more tablet like features and show them off. I think the OS is really nice and fast. Again a few more tweaks needed (like folders).

I also REALLY hope they add portrait orientation browsing to the web browser. Way more comfy. Its already a lot nicer to use for that it was with back touch scrolling.

Oh and more games. Always helps. However there already are tons out for this thing and a lot on the way.

Im just hoping PS mobile will bring about a lot of apps that fill in its missing tablet style apps.

Oh, no Japanese stuff please. Doesnt float my boat.

£15 @ Zavvi - http://www.zavvi.com/10535542.html

Might be able to pick up cheaper second hand on eBay though.

metalshade

It's a very average game, but I did get some enjoyment out of it. For the PSP you have:
• Dungeons & Dragons Tactics
• Dungeon Siege
• Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade
• Untold Legends: The Warrior's Code
• X-Men Legends

Nice list!
Unfortunately, none of those are available on EU Vita store :(
I also forgot to mention I dont like turn based either.
I am a man of many caveats!

beason52

Neo Member
It's free to play, and likely will be a download off of PSN so it would be hard to track its' performance.

Free to play is a good thing, sega will make money off micro transactions and it could be a system seller which is what vita needs, especially in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom