• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If it's blotches it's probably a screen protector with dust/air under the screen protector. Ask him if it has one.

16 gig card for $200 with the system isn't too bad if you don't mind the scratch since the memory card is ~$50 by itself. Wipeout can be gotten for $20 so no loss there, but really you're saving a bit of money if you don't mind the graphical flaws there.

"Blotches"? Are you referring to the artifacts that appear on the display when viewed against a dark background? They're not signs of a defect. They constitute a minor flaw inherent to OLED technology.

YES i dont know what are those called. but they are annoying when i am playing in dark room in bed lol

If it's blotches it's probably a screen protector with dust/air under the screen protector. Ask him if it has one.

16 gig card for $200 with the system isn't too bad if you don't mind the scratch since the memory card is ~$50 by itself. Wipeout can be gotten for $20 so no loss there, but really you're saving a bit of money if you don't mind the graphical flaws there.

he has a screen protector. but under it there was this small scratch . like i said tho its very small but i am OCD when it comes to those things.

as for me saving money. yes to be honest i am. because i do want a 16 memory card and wipeout. so thats like 60 to 70$ right there. so the system it self is like 140$ 130$ for wifi 3g.

i really find it very tempting.

so gaf ? go for it ?

branny

I really hope the digital version of LBPV gets released this week. :(

I'm not expecting the Vita to improve the visuals, lol. Just looking for games that look halfway-decent in their own right, or even PSP remakes of those games.
I think it just depends on what you consider looking nice. Vagrant Story does it for me, and it's pure 3D. I find the game gorgeous; its art direction meshes well with the Vita's OLED. You may want to look into other technically proficient ones like MGS, Soul Reaver, and maybe Silent Hill. The Tomb Raiders may have held up alright, but that's more due to the importance of the environment than how they look.

Some others like CG background games should still look alright. This includes the Final Fantasy games, in addition to other RPGs like Legend of Dragoon, and quite a few survival-horror games like the Resident Evils, Parasite Eve, and the Dino Crisis games.

FFT should look fine as well since it's a mix of 2D sprites on top of rudimentary 3D (and a viable option over the slowdown-ridden PSP release) just like Grandia and Xenogears, IIRC.

Other pure 2D ones like Alundra should naturally be great, too. I know you asked more about 2D games, but I wanted to chime in on the 3D ones.

Grinchy

Banned
If I weren't so busy/lazy lately, I'd buy 2 games from the Walmart deal specifically to sell immediately on Amazon and make the 3rd one free (and it would be Unit 13). I just don't feel like it.

Skyzard

Banned
My vita has never locked up so far.

I wonder if its some setting or app causing lockups.

Also do you guys power down over night? I do. Im thinking lockups could be due to memory leaks, and letting the vita run continuously never gives It a chance to fully clear the RAM.

^ I think it leaks too - especially seeing as it actually causes bugs with certain games (GTA chinatown) and occasionally performance differences. I don't power down at night and do get locks...but I'm going to start.

Koroviev

YES i dont know what are those called. but they are annoying when i am playing in dark room in bed lol

he has a screen protector. but under it there was this small scratch . like i said tho its very small but i am OCD when it comes to those things.

as for me saving money. yes to be honest i am. because i do want a 16 memory card and wipeout. so thats like 60 to 70$ right there. so the system it self is like 140$ 130$ for wifi 3g.

i really find it very tempting.

so gaf ? go for it ?

If any cosmetic blemishes are only visible under direct light, then yeah, I would go for it. My 3DS has the "scratch" resulting from friction between the top and bottom screens, and I can't see it at all while I'm playing a game.

Kept looking it up and came back with no result. Swapping accounts formatted my memory card but I had backed it up, forgot backing up the screenshots though. Is that backed up with the system backup?

Koroviev

I'm seriously considering Front Mission 3...I'm a sucker for SRPGs and nice 2D portraits.

screen-7

gfs_43380_2_21.jpg

Have fun playing one of the worst songs in the game. :|

Did you guys import the game?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I've been replaying Chrono Trigger for the millionth time, but now it's on the Vita! So, like, um, that makes it different, right?

Anyway, it looks amazing. I love all the sprite based games I'm playing on it. It's kind of funny/ironic to me that this system is capable of putting out games like Uncharted: GA, and LittleBigPlanet, but it really shines at displaying sprite based games.

I haven't played the Lunar games, but I promised myself I'd keep from buying anymore PS1/PSP classics until I complete the few I have on my system now (well, with the one exception being Chrono Cross. Once that's compatible on Vita, I'll be snagging it).

So many awesome games on the system to play through. It makes the wait between proper Vita releases so much more bearable. A lot of these PS1/PSP games I've never played at all, so it's a great first time experience for me.

Koroviev

I've been replaying Chrono Trigger for the millionth time, but now it's on the Vita! So, like, um, that makes it different, right?

Anyway, it looks amazing. I love all the sprite based games I'm playing on it. It's kind of funny/ironic to me that this system is capable of putting out games like Uncharted: GA, and LittleBigPlanet, but it really shines at displaying sprite based games.

I haven't played the Lunar games, but I promised myself I'd keep from buying anymore PS1/PSP classics until I complete the few I have on my system now (well, with the one exception being Chrono Cross. Once that's compatible on Vita, I'll be snagging it).

So many awesome games on the system to play through. It makes the wait between proper Vita releases so much more bearable. A lot of these PS1/PSP games I've never played at all, so it's a great first time experience for me.

Doesn't the PSX version of Chrono Trigger have those annoying loading times?

Rasec

Extreme mode in project diva made me T__T
First song i get a Excellent. Me goes o_O
I try Secret Police, bang, Standard.
Barely made it.
Next songs i got not clear.. xDDD

Rasec

I have that, too, but doesn't bother me since I wear headphones 95% of the time. And I think that everyone has this "problem"...

@above
The servers will be turned on when the game "officially" releases. :p

^gotta love that pic and pic of the calendar is cute!!

Bollocks

ehm how exactly can I change the button configuration for psx games?
I think I saw a screenshot once where you can map L2/R2 to the analog sticks, no?
I just transferred Silent Hill and I need R2 to shoot ._.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I think I saw a screenshot once where you can map L2/R2 to the analog sticks, no?
If you touch and hold the screen, a menu will pop up with "Controller Settings" being one of the options.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Long-press on the screen and a menu should appear.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Doesn't the PSX version of Chrono Trigger have those annoying loading times?

Yup. But I don't particularly mind them. I've played the game so much, I've maximized my playthroughs to include very minimal trips to the menu screen. Lol. Battles don't bother me either.

I'd definitely prefer no load times (ie, SNES version), but I'll take whatever CT I can get, and as it stands, I can only get the PS1 version.

B.O.O.M

Can't wait for TGS!

Guys just to clarify the sony conference is on the 19th right? 1PM JST?

I believe that would be around 8pm on the 18th for PST timers.

I am guessing I came to a biased thread, but I am looking for your advice non the less.

Basically just bought a PSP 3000 yesterday and some cheap games (including some digitally)

Made a thread about it here for more details: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491369

I never owned a PSP, so I am loving the huge library of quality games. And up to this point, there is not 1 PS Vita game I want. Maybe Uncharted, but I am a little tired after Uncharted 3.

Currently, I am still more attracted to the 3000 and the fact that the best games for it are mostly $15 or less new. how much better is it playing psp games on the PS Vita. What kind of experience and battery life can I expect?

Is it worth buying as a super psp system?

Takao

Banned
I am guessing I came to a biased thread, but I am looking for your advice non the less.

Basically just bought a PSP 3000 yesterday and some cheap games (including some digitally)

Made a thread about it here for more details: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491369

I never owned a PSP, so I am loving the huge library of quality games. And up to this point, there is not 1 PS Vita game I want. Maybe Uncharted, but I am a little tired after Uncharted 3.

Currently, I am still more attracted to the 3000 and the fact that the best games for it are mostly $15 or less new. how much better is it playing psp games on the PS Vita. What kind of experience and battery life can I expect?

You'll get a better screen on Vita than any of the PSP units. Take a look at this gif for the difference in ghosting between Darkstalkers (PSP) running on a Vita versus it running on a PSP 3000:

oled16j74.gif

You can remap buttons on Vita so games that use the d-pad, or shoulder buttons for camera control can now be controlled with the second analog stick. Battery life while playing a PSP game is quite high, but I've never really checked for a number.

The big downside is that not every PSP game is playable on Vita. There's notable games that either were never released on PSN, or are just not compatible right now.

My advice is to get the PSP right now to play games that aren't on PSN. If there are PSP games you'd like to replay in the future and are on PSN, I'd suggest getting the digital version so you'll have a library of content you can bring over to Vita if you ever do get one.

B.O.O.M

More like 9PM, iirc.

Gotcha..sounds good then. At first I thought it would be in the morning for me so I was kinda down cuz I was sure I won't get to follow it (IF They decide to stream it :S No word on it yet as far as I am aware)..but if it's in the night I'm gonna get myself a nice tea..some good food and will be good to go!

I know I should go in with low expectations (still am) but can't help be a tiny bit hyped!

Koroviev

I really like it. I much prefer having the digital versions of PSP games since it means not having to hear the loud UMD spinning. True, some games are overpriced, but most games are now $20 or less, and there have been several sales. There are also some games that are unavailable digitally, but nothing that I feel the need to play.

Games are nice and vibrant on the Vita screen, and there is no ghosting, something that was very noticeable in many games on the old PSP system. While the resolution of the Vita is an exact multiple of the PSP's, some games, especially 2D games, have a pixellated look. It's not that noticeable unless you're holding the system very close to your face, and you can use bilinear filtering to smooth out the visuals if the game doesn't use sprites. It's a great option to use in, say, Persona 3, but it doesn't work well for Growlanser, which features sprites.

Returning to the discussion of games, the Vita is a great system to own if you're an Atlus fan, specifically a Persona fan. As of November, all but one Persona game (I.e. Eternal Punishment) will be available on the Vita. Also available are most of the Disgaea games, and I would not be at all surprised to see a Vita port of the 4th game.

Edit: I should also mention the feel of the system. The face buttons and the d-pad feel great, nice and clicky without feeling janky. The system has a nice weight to it, doesn't feel cheap. However, the shoulder buttons are crap. I've rarely had to use them, but they definitely feel cheap on an otherwise high-end system.

Takao

Banned
If you're Japanese you can play all the Persona games on Vita. As well, Vita will be the only platform where one can play Final Fantasy through Final Fantasy X all on one piece of hardware.

Tailer

Excuse the crappy phone pic, but yes!

1QkBV.jpg

I included the copy of Hot Shots I just got and my launch Vita to hold down the calender I got with the game. Welcome back to VitaGAF, by the way, Koro! ^^

plus the BPM scale stinks and other stuff :|
:O damn, that's a nice collection you got there.

TheSeks

Going to look those up. Anyone have experience with Front Mission 3? It appears to look alright based on screenshots.

FM3 is AWESOME. Get it and don't look back. Mech customization/Armored Core with SRPG gameplay, basically.

TheSeks

What's it mean if your Vita is in standby and the 'home' button glows/flashes blue?

Something updated or requires your attention. Homescreen may have updated or the PSN store may have updated the little "home" menu of the app. Press the button and unlock it and see the notifications.

Koroviev

FM3 is AWESOME. Get it and don't look back. Mech customization/Armored Core with SRPG gameplay, basically.

Oy, I'm dumb. I thought I saw it on the Vita store. Did the US ever receive the game on PSN? I can transfer it, but now I'm not sure if it's available.

TheSeks

Oy, I'm dumb. I thought I saw it on the Vita store. Did the US ever receive the game on PSN? I can transfer it, but now I'm not sure if it's available.

The US got it on the PSN store, yes. I dunno if it's able to be downloaded but you can buy it on PS3.

sajj316

So I'm watching a trailer for Dust: Elysian Tail and dreaming how this would love on the OLED!

Anyone know anything else about this title? Will it be on PSN?

Koroviev

Has anyone played any of the PSX/PSP Harvest Moon games? I was obsessed with the GC version, but haven't tried any of the non-Nintendo iterations.

fernoca

Saw the daughter of a friend playing Little Deviants on the demo unit, got to try it myself...bought Little Deviants. XD

Amazing how I have a Vita-backlog...even when "Vita has no games!!!". :p

At least is a fun, quirky game so is not like I need to follow a story or play it for a lot of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom