• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyzard

Banned
Don't be sensitive. I bought a First Edition Master Race version, and I love my Vita. It's just very easy to see how things are currently going.

Many people read neogaf that aren't regulars and take joke posts as the truth. jokes becomes used as discussion points and it builds up from there. I'll correct bs remarks to combat this, thank me later.

The posts that claim to spread truth without a single joke are just as bad... sales don't pick up - we have no idea how that will affect sony, for all we know it will just push them further to make the platform more appealing.

Sid

This thing needs a price cut along with a bundle containing a game(digital download) and a 4gb card for $199 this fall to even have a chance to sell big.

krYlon

Japan has such a love for handhelds, I really can't see them holding back once the price drops and the PSP support dies.

Knowing Sony marketing these days I'm sure there are a bunch of games in development that they haven't bothered to tell us about yet as well.

Have faith people, it's not over yet.

Sid

Japan has such a love for handhelds, I really can't see them holding back once the price drops and the PSP support dies.

Knowing Sony marketing these days I'm sure there are a bunch of games in development that they haven't bothered to tell us about yet as well.

Have faith people, it's not over yet.
Exactly,which is why i said
This thing needs a price cut along with a bundle containing a game(digital download) and a 4gb card for $199 this fall to even have a chance to sell big.

KalBalboa

Banned
I think we need to keep in mind that we're approaching Christmas with a killer lineup, had a few new games announced last night (and TGS has a few more days to go), PS+ Vita was outlined with some great features, and Gamescom gave us several kickass games to look forward to.

SCEJ seems to have completely lost their way, and not just with the Vita. Their handling of announcements, inability to secure strong titles, and, I'm sorry, failure to finish The Last Guardian is staggering.

The worst-case scenario for the Vita:

It continues to underperform, but we get another year-and-a-half of solid titles. It Dreamcasts, but we're left with a machine with a strong library, plays PSone games on the go, gives us AR/Netflix/PSN access, etc, and gives us Wii-U capabilities on the PS3 and, potentially, PS4.

Just got this in. :D
CgyKbl.jpg

Hope you enjoy it. :D

Skyzard

Banned
I think we need to keep in mind that we're approaching Christmas with a killer lineup, had a few new games announced last night (and TGS has a few more days to go), PS+ Vita was outlined with some great features, and Gamescom gave us several kickass games to look forward to.

SCEJ seems to have completely lost their way, and not just with the Vita. Their handling of announcements, inability to secure strong titles, and, I'm sorry, failure to finish The Last Guardian is staggering.

The worst-case scenario for the Vita:

It continues to underperform, but we get another year-and-a-half of solid titles. It Dreamcasts, but we're left with a machine with a strong library, plays PSone games on the go, gives us AR/Netflix/PSN access, etc, and gives us Wii-U capabilities on the PS3 and, potentially, PS4.

Not to mention it becomes the last handheld Sony makes. Given all they've invested so far, I doubt they will let that happen - especially when the portable OLED tech this time round with the vita is such good advertising for their brand. It's not like they can afford to repair the damage to their reputation that that would cause - not these days they can't.

zroid

Banned
Many people said that about the PS3. Even today, I hear it now and then.

I'm not on the "Vita is dead" bandwagon at all, but when faced with the facts, even the staunchest of defenders have to admit that the Vita is in a far more dire situation than the PS3 ever was.

This is Dreamcast level.

I'm positive the Vita can still recover, but make fair comparisons. At the very least, we need to wait and see how it fares through the end of its first year.

I'm not on the "Vita is dead" bandwagon at all, but when faced with the facts, even the staunchest of defenders have to admit that the Vita is in a far more dire situation than the PS3 ever was.

This is Dreamcast level.

I'm positive the Vita can still recover, but make fair comparisons.

I will not say such things until next year. I believe in the Vita. But damn, this was a horrible first year.

Tailer

This is Dreamcast level.

I'm positive the Vita can still recover, but make fair comparisons.
Mhum, same thing when you compare PS3 against PS2 sales. Plus Sony isn't SEGA where they just had one income of resources.

zroid

Banned
If anything, Sony as a whole is more screwed than their singular PlayStation business. I think if they refocus their priorities, Vita and PlayStation in general can definitely recover.

krYlon

If anything, Sony as a whole is more screwed than their singular PlayStation business. I think if they refocus their priorities, Vita and PlayStation in general can definitely recover.

This is what worries me more than Vita failing on it's own. It's not really the Vita that is the cause for concern, it's the rest of their business, especially their TV division.

KalBalboa

Banned

Hey, if they can rescue that $599 PS3 launch and bare-bones PSN into the healthiest current console & PS+... they could save the Vita. It'll never be a mega-hit, but who knows.

Borderlands 2 would have helped, but I'm not going to pretend like I would have bought that game day one. LBP is my current fixation, next is All-Stars or NFS (in terms of Vita games).

This is what worries me more than Vita failing on it's own. It's not really the Vita that is the cause for concern, it's the rest of their business, especially their TV division.

Kaz Hirai has lots of work, hope Sony's business gets rejuvenated. They make quality products.

Tailer

I just don't get why people are shouting that it's over even though a year has yet to pass since release.
That too, but it this is the third time when we say "just wait until E3/Gamescom/TGS and if there's no new killer games then it's doomed" and obviously followed up with overly negative topics, and yet they say "But we want it to succeed that is why we're spreading the word out so that people will get discourage to even make a research whether they should purchase it or not" genius thinking haters.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Hey, if they can rescue that $599 PS3 launch and bare-bones PSN into the healthiest current console & PS+... they could save the Vita. It'll never be a mega-hit, but who knows.

SCEA super special awesome studios supported and saved PS3 with their big first party games(also all of SCEE studios which most of them are gone now),Vita is alone with the weak-ass SCE Japan Studio.

That too, but it this is the third time when we say "just wait until E3/Gamescom/TGS and if there's no new killer games then it's doomed" and obviously followed up with overly negative topics, and yet they say "But we want it to succeed that is why we're spreading the word out so that people will get discourage to even make a research whether they should purchase it or not" genius thinking haters.

The world is hard outside of this thread. :(

Shinriji

Actually I am tired to hear this argument over and over. It is NOT true. The PS3 first 2 years was a complete disaster, and I was there. Vita problems don't even get close to the shit that the PS3 were. There was no games (for real), the store was a joke, XMB was a mess, online sucked, expensive, sold like shit. Etc.

It took a while, but things got better (MGS4 and in-game XMB), not long after that Uncharted 2 was released,the Slim version, and you know the rest. I play it a lot until today.

Vita, on this first year, have way more interesting games, structure and functionalities than the PS3 when it lauched.

And if the Vita fails, tough luck. I have about 10 excellent games right now, more than my Dreamcast and Sega CD collection combined.

KalBalboa

Banned
SCEA super special awesome studios supported and saved PS3 with their big first party games(also all of SCEE studios which most of them are gone now),Vita is alone with the weak-ass SCE Japan Studio.

Yeah, that's spot-on.

I want SCEJ to really wow me, I do... but christ. Maybe we need to give them one last Christmas with the PSP... it's making them some good money in Japan.

Mung

Actually I am tired to hear this argument over and over. It is NOT true. The PS3 first 2 years was a complete disaster, and I was there. Vita problems don't even get close to the shit that the PS3 were. There was no games (for real), the store was a joke, XMB was a mess, online sucked, expensive, sold like shit. Etc.

It took a while, but things get better (MGS4 and in-game XMB), not long after that it came Uncharted 2 and the Slim, and you know the rest. I play it a lot until today.

Vita, on this first year, have way more interesting games, structure and functionalities than the PS3 when it lauched.

This man is right

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I can't decide if I want LittleBigPlanet or Gravity Rush. I desperately need a new Vita game and they're both good but so different....Ahhhhhh first world problems.

Damn, that's a tough one. You can't get both?

If I had to choose, value for dollar: LBP.

Gravity Rush is a new, unproven IP, however, so I felt compelled to support it, especially considering how quality it is. I don't want another Folklore (which I bought Day 1, but it just wasn't enough...*sad face*).

Still, LBP is a lot of game, looks amazing, plays amazing, and has all dem juicy community levels.

And yeah, it was a bad first year for the Vita for sales, but software wise, it has had a phenomenal library already. How quickly we forget the year ones of the 360 and PS3. Software wasn't shit, but it was "I'm getting this because it's something to play" for the bulk of it (with some notable gems, of course, ie, Folklore, Uncharted, Ratchet, and Warhawk on the PS3).

I have over 25+ games for my Vita, 18 of them currently on my memory stick (beat some and deleted them). The lineup for the rest of this year is looking rock solid as well (PBR, Sly, Ragnarok, AC3: Lib, etc).

I think a price cut is really in order at this point. The system needs to be between $179-$200 for both versions. $200 for the Wi Fi is, in my opinion, a great price point, but if they really want to push the hardware (and thus, the software can take the limelight), they may need to take a bigger chunk off, and go $180 for the Wi Fi, $200-$220 for the 3G.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
We have 3 Monsta Hunta-esque games but still no Munsta Hunta lol.

I think it's very smart move (if it was Sony who encourage these pubs to put these MH clone of Vita).

-Publishers and developers of other MH clones might see Vita as alternative place/MH-free place for their clones, and fill it with quality titles from the genre in the future.

-Capcom see it as good place with potential buyers to put MH in the future.

but both goals will depend mostly on the sales of SS and GE2.

I think it's very smart move (if it was Sony who encourage these pubs to put these MH clone of Vita).

-Publishers and developers of other MH clones might see Vita as alternative place/MH-free place for their clones, and fill it with quality titles from the genre in the future.

I just hope one of these clones get suddenly immense popular like MH was on the PSP. I'm putting my money on God Eater 2.

GE1 and GEB sold close to 600k combined in the first week in Japan.

Sid

Is god eater like an action game and not a boring grind fest like monster hunter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom