• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinriji

The PS3 was shit and overpriced for a while after its launch, but it had a massive fanbase willing to throw money at it and it had the promise of support and improvement by Sony. I bought one in late 2008.

If I thought the Vita was shit right now I wouldn't have bought one within a few months of its launch, I'd have waited for 2 years, just like the PS3. But the gaming landscape has changed, and people don't put blind faith in Sony anymore.

It doesn't help that Sony is having major financial problems and so even as a first party, it's hard to know if they are going to be able to support it themselves for much longer. They certainly haven't given us much reason to believe in them at the moment.

The Vita is a good piece of hardware at the wrong place and wrong time, and that really sucks, but it's reality.

It's ironic because everything you just said only serves to drive home the point further. Even with a relatively good first year of software and a smooth hardware launch, the market has rejected the system (so far). At least the PS3 had an excuse for its poor initial sales (which were still better than Vita's, mind you) -- it was a piece of crap. Then it got better and people adopted the system lovingly. The Vita has room for improvement, certainly, but it's not that bad right now. It deserves better commercial reception than it's getting. I think that says a lot about what sort of market exists for something like the Vita at the moment. And sadly, none of it is good.

Sony is going to have to dig deep, and I think they can do it, but it won't be easy... that's for sure.

The Vita don't have to be a commercial success for you to have fun with it. The PS3 is a failure in every single aspect, but it didn't take my enjoyment of the +100 titles that I played so far. And that because, as I say, the first 2 years were total crap.

More games will come and the price eventually will go down. Patience is a virtue.

The Vita don't have to be a commercial success for you to have fun with it. The PS3 is a failure in every single aspect, but it didn't take my enjoyment of the +100 titles that I played so far. And that because, as I say, the first 2 years were total crap.

More games will come and the price eventually will go down. Patience is a virtue.

Need a turning point like MGS4 was for the PS3.

Sid

Need a turning point like MGS4 was for the PS3.
It needs sequels to Uncharted,Demon's Souls and Gravity Rush and brand new God of War(or even chains of olympus 2 and 3 since the story is already laid out) and Gran turismo,all of them combined should boost the sales greatly and if they do sony should sign an exclusivity deal with namco for the God Eater series to be exclusive to the vita and market that and Soul Sacrifice as their 'Monster Hunters'.

I'm dying to see PSO2 running on the Vita. Like, something concrete. That's another game I'm super excited for, just imagine the possibilities? I'd have a blast leveling up on my lunch breaks at work.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I have $15 and a 5 Reward Zone coupon at Best Buy

Recommend me a $20 retail title. Hot Shots Golf, Wipeout 2048, Little Deviants... give me something to buy, Vita-GAF.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Uk6yX.jpg

Am I cool now, Vita-GAF?

TheGrue

So thinking about cloud storage for Vita, I wonder if this means they will separate saves now from the Vita games themselves so you no longer have to back up the entire app to get your save backed up, even for those who don't have PS+. You'd think they'd have to in order for this to work, unless it can magically get the save out and restore it without it being detached.

Vitacat

So thinking about cloud storage for Vita, I wonder if this means they will separate saves now from the Vita games themselves so you no longer have to back up the entire app to get your save backed up, even for those who don't have PS+. You'd think they'd have to in order for this to work, unless it can magically get the save out and restore it without it being detached.

Being able to only backup (and restore) saves is my most wanted feature.

Those with lots of digital games know why. Backing up multiple large games can literally take HOURS. WTF Sony? WTF? FIX THIS NOW.

Not to mention it becomes the last handheld Sony makes. Given all they've invested so far, I doubt they will let that happen - especially when the portable OLED tech this time round with the vita is such good advertising for their brand. It's not like they can afford to repair the damage to their reputation that that would cause - not these days they can't.

I'm in a precarious wedge of emotions, with which surround Vita perceptions. I truly adore the hardware and the spherically iconed interface. The machine and it's components are very top notch. Sony really threw in some of the top mobile technology and interface inputs available today. This is a machine still a year ahead of devices like the iPhone 5, outclassing far more expensive devices with multiple purposes. The system also has deep and involving games, which are among the sleekest handheld experiences I've ever seen and experienced.

Reality begins to set in though: Sony unfortunately isn't selling many Vita systems. There are brief weekly upward ticks, but really, rigamortis is beginning to set in. The device itself is becoming a publicly visible flop. The brand is becoming pernicious and caustic, support is also lackluster. Nothing is seeming to stick or revive the sputter of the Vita engine.

Looking realistically at the slate ahead: It's clearly easy to see Sony aborting the Vita earlier, rather than later. The sooner it's done, the less long term damage is done to the overall Sony image. With Sony having such a high ration of debt, very few successes in all sectors, a damaged image - resilience and resistance - isn't what a nimble company will need for growth. Sony will need to abandon and shed dead weight, in order to right the corporate ship and salvage the overall brand. It will be far cheaper to abandon what isn't working, to focus on what is.

Eventually, the retailers will cease orders of units and peripherals related to Vita. Production is a financial factor to Sony with Vita, as is their non existent marketing....

Look, I love the Vita and I hope the fall titles can recalibrate the Vita's bearings - if these titles can't - then I expect Vita to be a short lived endeavor for Sony. That's what reality says to me.

Takao

Banned
We have 3 Monsta Hunta-esque games but still no Munsta Hunta lol.

Yeah, here's the MH clone brigade on Vita thus far:

- Lord of Apocalypse (Square Enix)
- Ragnarok Odyssey (Gungho)
- Soul Sacrifice (SCE)
- Valhalla Knights 3 (MarvelousAQL)
- God Eater 2 (Namco Bandai)
- Toukiden (Koei-Temco)

Just missing the original, and Phantasy Star Portable ...

Sid

Yeah, here's the MH clone brigade on Vita thus far:

- Lord of Apocalypse (Square Enix)
- Ragnarok Odyssey (Gungho)
- Soul Sacrifice (SCE)
- Valhalla Knights 3 (MarvelousAQL)
- God Eater 2 (Namco Bandai)
- Toukiden (Koei-Temco)

Just missing the original, and Phantasy Star Portable ...
Toukiden is a mh clone?

takao you're alive

i thought we would have lost you after last night

On a more serious note, I did we get Toukiden gameplay? I think it's a little early to be calling it a "MH clone".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom