• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinchy

Banned
Wow this thread moves so fast. It's so hard to keep up. From the time I went to bed (pretty early) last night to the time I got home today, there were 4 new pages.

400 posts is a lot for me to read through when I'm this tired.

That new red Vita would be great for a Soul Sacrifice Bundle over here in the west.

The blue one would make a great PS All-Stars bundle.

Orange-Vita.jpg

This alone right here homie, would make me get another Vita.

branny

Soul Sacrifice is looking like the sequel to Phantom Dust that I wanted so badly. :(

edit: I can't keep saying that about everything. I said the same thing about Kid Icarus: Uprising, lol.

daoster

Actually I am tired to hear this argument over and over. It is NOT true. The PS3 first 2 years was a complete disaster, and I was there. Vita problems don't even get close to the shit that the PS3 were. There was no games (for real), the store was a joke, XMB was a mess, online sucked, expensive, sold like shit. Etc.

It took a while, but things got better (MGS4 and in-game XMB), not long after that Uncharted 2 was released,the Slim version, and you know the rest. I play it a lot until today.

Vita, on this first year, have way more interesting games, structure and functionalities than the PS3 when it lauched.

But the market conditions are much different now than then, and the handheld market is a much different beast than the console business...especially now. I'm not one to believe that iOS and Android gaming is our future, but they are making the handheld scene much more competitive.

When 3DS wasn't selling the numbers Nintendo wanted, what did they do? They cut the price, and sales have improved. When did the PS3 really turn around? When the price got more affordable.

Sony being stubborn and not cutting the price this year will hurt them for the holiday season, especially in Japan.

To simply say, "PS3 was there, and they bounced back" is really just side-stepping the problems facing the Vita.

And I dunno, I'm a one console guy (only own the PS3), but I definitely think their early mis-steps with the PS3 have cost Sony significant mind-share for gamers, even if their numbers have bounced back (but that's a different topic for a different day).

And really, to say that if Vita goes the way of the Dreamcast, at least you got some good games of it, so tough luck? You don't think that if the Vita dies early, there won't be serious ramifications for the gaming division at Sony? Because I think there would be...

Toki767

I think the Sony strategy this fiscal year considering how the price of the PS3 actually went up is to not lose money over selling more hardware.

Sid

Jokes aside there is no way in hell sony abandons the vita,too much damage would be caused to the ps brand's reputation,they have to turn it around one way or the other.

kewlmyc

Jokes aside there is no way in hell sony abandons the vita,too much damage would be caused to the ps brand's reputation,they have to turn it around one way or the other.
The Vita is totally saveable. Sony's just doing a piss poor job at it. They need to somehow convince consumers that the Vita is worth owning and developers that the Vita is worth making games for.

cyborg009

Banned
The Vita is totally saveable. Sony's just doing a piss poor job at it. They need to somehow convince consumers that the Vita is worth owning and developers that the Vita is worth making games for.

They should sell the 3G ones like how apple sell the iphone (doubt that will happen)

or keep the PS3 price the same and then lower the vita price.

zroid

Banned
Actually I am tired to hear this argument over and over. It is NOT true. The PS3 first 2 years was a complete disaster, and I was there. Vita problems don't even get close to the shit that the PS3 were. There was no games (for real), the store was a joke, XMB was a mess, online sucked, expensive, sold like shit. Etc.

It took a while, but things got better (MGS4 and in-game XMB), not long after that Uncharted 2 was released,the Slim version, and you know the rest. I play it a lot until today.

Vita, on this first year, have way more interesting games, structure and functionalities than the PS3 when it lauched.

And if the Vita fails, tough luck. I have about 10 excellent games right now, more than my Dreamcast and Sega CD collection combined.

The PS3 was shit and overpriced for a while after its launch, but it had a massive fanbase willing to throw money at it and it had the promise of support and improvement by Sony. I bought one in late 2008.

If I thought the Vita was shit right now I wouldn't have bought one within a few months of its launch, I'd have waited for 2 years, just like the PS3. But the gaming landscape has changed, and people don't put blind faith in Sony anymore.

It doesn't help that Sony is having major financial problems and so even as a first party, it's hard to know if they are going to be able to support it themselves for much longer. They certainly haven't given us much reason to believe in them at the moment.

The Vita is a good piece of hardware at the wrong place and wrong time, and that really sucks, but it's reality.

It's ironic because everything you just said only serves to drive home the point further. Even with a relatively good first year of software and a smooth hardware launch, the market has rejected the system (so far). At least the PS3 had an excuse for its poor initial sales (which were still better than Vita's, mind you) -- it was a piece of crap. Then it got better and people adopted the system lovingly. The Vita has room for improvement, certainly, but it's not that bad right now. It deserves better commercial reception than it's getting. I think that says a lot about what sort of market exists for something like the Vita at the moment. And sadly, none of it is good.

Sony is going to have to dig deep, and I think they can do it, but it won't be easy... that's for sure.

Sid

The Vita is totally saveable. Sony's just doing a piss poor job at it. They need to somehow convince consumers that the Vita is worth owning and developers that the Vita is worth making games
Yeah,If i was in their position there would be sequels to Uncharted and Gravity Rush coming next fall and spring 2014 would have God of war and Gran turismo vita alongwith a price cut to $199 for the base model which would be bundled with a game(dd) and a 4gb card.

zroid

Banned
They are being way too arrogant by not dropping the price. It's so overdue at this point. Suck it up, Kaz!

At the very least, they need to pursue software bundling more aggressively. And grant consumers some relief with this memory card bullshit, god.

Famassu

Still can't see where this "VITA HAS NO GAMES" mentality comes from that is rearing its stupid head in some of the Vita threads again. In comparison, PS3 has 30 games playable at TGS, Vita has 27. That's quite the healthy number of games for a single platform, imho, which contains plenty of exclusives and ports, big games as well as smaller ones.

zroid

Banned

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I just hope one of these clones get suddenly immense popular like MH was on the PSP. I'm putting my money on God Eater 2.

GE1 and GEB sold close to 600k combined in the first week in Japan.

It's really sad when a superior (and actually good game) sell way less than something horrible like MH,then again Japanese market is a disaster with it's blind buying and following of the "big n popular" IPs even if they are crap.

Is god eater like an action game and not a boring grind fest like monster hunter?

It is a way better game,with good combat system,actual story and characters and intresting levels and setting.

All Vita owners looking for GE2 should get Gods Eater Burst.

Sid

It's really sad when a superior (and actually good game) sell way less than something horrible like MH,then again Japanese market is a disaster with it's blind buying and following of the "big n popular" IPs even if they are crap.

It is a way better game,with good combat system,actual story and characters and intresting levels and setting.

If i haven't played the first will i be comfortable with the second in terms of story?

Sony should market the shit out of the game. GE>MH, I love Namco, lately they're releasing all these gems in the West and they need to be rewarded for their effort for bringing games like Tales of and Ninokuni in the west.

Sid

there are a few threads

so far:

Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Senga Kagura
Ninja Gaiden Sigma plus 2
Gundam game
God Eaters 2
Toukiden
Valhalla Knights 3

have been announced
Are you expecting anything else for the vita at tgs?Why would that not be announced at the sony presser?

lepo

Are you expecting anything else for the vita at tgs?Why would that not be announced at the sony presser?

Ninja gaiden sigma plus 2 wasn't mentioned at sony press conference

Tecmo Koei announced it at their own press conf

Maybe Sega or someone else has something to announce as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom