• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haliela

The second mission in the military dlc for Gravity Rush where you are putting out fires was the worst gaming experience I've had in years. It was simply awful in every single possible way. I don't think I've ever wanted to throw a $250 device against a wall as badly as I did playing that rubbish.

Gearbox don't even want to bother with the porting process for Borderlands 2 port (want Sony to do it all), I doubt they will even think about a spin off or something new of Borderlands for Vita without Sony giving them all their money ( all three dollars they have).

LMAO

DiscoJer

None of Sony's ports are late, and a Borderlands 2 port for Vita certainly would be.

While true, it could be in time to get some of the later DLC. If BL2 has as much as the first did it will probably have several things spread out over a year or more.

But the Vita really needs games like Borderlands - not just games people (besides Sony fans) actually want to play, but games that are timesinks, that will keep people playing the Vita, not just beat a game in 5 hours and put the Vita in a drawer next to their PSP. (I'm afraid that's going to be the fate of the AC Vita game)

While true, it could be in time to get some of the later DLC. If BL2 has as much as the first did it will probably have several things spread out over a year or more.

But the Vita really needs games like Borderlands - not just games people (besides Sony fans) actually want to play, but games that are timesinks, that will keep people playing the Vita, not just beat a game in 5 hours and put the Vita in a drawer next to their PSP. (I'm afraid that's going to be the fate of the AC Vita game)

vita haters er..i mean "owners" are hard to please....first they say they want handheld games tailored for vita thats fun in short bursts.....now they say they want deep "console caliber" games on vita that lasts hours and hours

those "owners" need to just save themselves the trouble and put that vita they say they own on craigslist and sell it now before it becomes more worthless in value

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
You know what I want on the Vita?

Japanese games.

We all know that Japanese games on consoles are in dire states. I want the Vita to be the go to system for japanese games, like the PSP was.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I hate Virtua Tennis 4's online mode. I haven't scored a single point online and the lag is completely unbearable.

Gamespawn

You know what would be awesome for Vita? Fallout Collection. All three main Fallout games redone in the image of New Vegas and a demo for Skyrim GOTY edition for Vita....

Or a sequel to G-Police.

zroid

Banned

Japanese games.

We all know that Japanese games on consoles are in dire states. I want the Vita to be the go to system for japanese games, like the PSP was.

well it's certainly more likely than becoming a system for Western games. as if Western
non-indie
devs would support handhelds.

Japanese games.

Games are still coming out on the PSP in Japan. That system has to die first, unfortunately.

You know what would be awesome for Vita? Fallout Collection. All three main Fallout games redone in the image of New Vegas and a demo for Skyrim GOTY edition for Vita....

Or a sequel to G-Police.
Just give me the original two. 3/New Vegas were buggy messes.

BigDug13

Rather than a Borderlands 2 port, why not make a stand alone game?

For what? To sell 300,000 copies? Porting existing assets would involve less time. Creating a new game for a struggling system? That would be insane.

Part of the problem with making such a powerful piece of hardware is that you need console-level funding to create a quality game for it, and if there's not a chance in hell of that title reaching 1 million in sales, then where's the benefit to the developer? Especially when the price of that "near console-level game" is only $40 vice $60.

That's part of the reason that this system is more port-happy. Take existing assets that have been paid for by people paying $60 and port it to a system to generate more revenue at $40 per game to add to it. Generating exclusive assets to sell to a small userbase at $40 a pop when it takes nearly as much development muscle as that $60 game system is not worth it.

I hate Virtua Tennis 4's online mode. I haven't scored a single point online and the lag is completely unbearable.

Yeah, it was pretty unplayable for me too. :(

In happier news, Foosball is surprisingly fun! Controls are really good and there are a bunch of unlockable goodies.

If the ship has sailed on the port due to the timing, then it doesn't speak well of Sony's effort with the Vita for me. I want Sony to be aggressive about a good mix of ports, original games, and spin offs for the future, and I'm not seeing it so far.

However, Sony may not have the money for a Nintendo style panic mode, no matter how aggressive they want to be.

Well see over the next year or so.

I agree with this. For Vita to appeal to mainstream gamers (which means more mass appeal/success), Sony will need what you've outline above. It's apparent the exclusives like Gravity Rush/Daze aren't doing Vita any good. Those games aren't selling all that well. If the Vita is to breakthrough and see success, it must target mainstream gamers, as well as enthusiasts. The system won't succeed on the backs of obscure Japanese titles.

looks like Nintendo had a lot more money to put on Capcom's table

Apparently, it was Capcom who approached Nintendo about MH 3DS, during the Wii Tri game.

DR2K

Banned
looks like Nintendo had a lot more money to put on Capcom's table

Eh they have Pokemon, I doubt they paid a cent for MH that Sony couldn't. It was more of a blow to Vita in Japan than a gain for 3DS.

All this silliness about them not having money, they already secured 2 new games from 2 of the biggest 3rd parties on the planet. Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
CecilMcW00t said:
Yeah, it was pretty unplayable for me too. :(
I had really bad lag once until I realized I had PS3 downloading at the same time.
That said after playing quite a lot of matches to get the final trophy - the bad-lagging ones are in minority - also since gameplay style of VT is pretty lag-tolerant (there's inherent "lag" in everything you do in single player too), it generally works ok.

Definitely a lot of room for improvement in online mode though.

spannicus

I really hope COD can help the Vita. Sony plans on selling 16 million Vitas this Fiscal year so they have something up their sleeves. I have my fingers crossed. I think that KillZone game is gonna be bad ass.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I had really bad lag once until I realized I had PS3 downloading at the same time.
That said after playing quite a lot of matches to get the final trophy - the bad-lagging ones are in minority - also since gameplay style of VT is pretty lag-tolerant (there's inherent "lag" in everything you do in single player too), it generally works ok.

Definitely a lot of room for improvement in online mode though.
It must be my internet then. The lag is bad enough that there's a noticeable delay between hitting buttons and my character reacting and I've had the game freeze for a second. Couple that with the fact that I have slow reflexes anyway and it's not much fun.

zroid

Banned
I really hope COD can help the Vita. Sony plans on selling 16 million Vitas this Fiscal year so they have something up their sleeves. I have my fingers crossed. I think that KillZone game is gonna be bad ass.

I really hope they aren't banking entirely on CoD and AC to charge sales. I remain unconvinced that these are the types of games which will get people to buy a Vita.

Takao

Banned
The most damning thing for Vita is that none of the PSP's most successful franchises have been announced for it. There were AC and CoD games on that platform and they did jack all. PSP's best sellers list consists of Monster Hunter, Gran Turismo, and Grand Theft Auto. One of those three is going to happen eventually, the other two? Yeah...

For what? To sell 300,000 copies? Porting existing assets would involve less time. Creating a new game for a struggling system? That would be insane.

Part of the problem with making such a powerful piece of hardware is that you need console-level funding to create a quality game for it, and if there's not a chance in hell of that title reaching 1 million in sales, then where's the benefit to the developer? Especially when the price of that "near console-level game" is only $40 vice $60.

That's part of the reason that this system is more port-happy. Take existing assets that have been paid for by people paying $60 and port it to a system to generate more revenue at $40 per game to add to it. Generating exclusive assets to sell to a small userbase at $40 a pop when it takes nearly as much development muscle as that $60 game system is not worth it.

This actually isn't true. Sony Bend said Vita game budgets will be closer to PSP games than PS3 games due to reuse of assets. Naughty Dog lent a huge chunk of their animations and such to Bend saving them time and money. I can't imagine Assassin's Creed: Liberation is very expensive either given it clearly is lifting stuff straight out of AC3, and in fact runs on the same engine. When Sony was bringing Vita to developers conferences and stuff like that the point they'd often stress is this: reuse old content not for ports but to make something new. By doing that you are not only creating a compelling package for consumers, you are also saving money.

DR2K

Banned
I really hope they aren't banking entirely on CoD and AC to charge sales. I remain unconvinced that these are the types of games which will get people to buy a Vita.

If these games can't do it, then there's really nothing that can.

zroid

Banned
If these games can't do it, then there's really nothing that can.

The problem is they're too similar to console games, and more importantly releasing at around the same time as their PS3 counterparts. Nothing about this seems like a good idea.

Vita needs its own niche.

Imagine if Nintendo were releasing NSMB2 in November instead of August. :/
and even in August it feels a bit like too much, too soon

lepo

Eh they have Pokemon, I doubt they paid a cent for MH that Sony couldn't. It was more of a blow to Vita in Japan than a gain for 3DS.

All this silliness about them not having money, they already secured 2 new games from 2 of the biggest 3rd parties on the planet. Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty.

then why Capcom wouldn't announce a monster hunter for vita?

they sold millions of copies on psp and vita is clearly the perfect monster hunter machine... it doesn't make any sense to me

Either Nintendo signed up an exclusivity contract or sony dropped the ball in some way

zroid

Banned

they sold millions of copies on psp and vita is clearly the perfect monster hunter machine... it doesn't make any sense to me

Either Nintendo signed up an exclusivity contract or sony dropped the ball in some way

I really doubt Nintendo moneyhatted Capcom. They're known for ignoring third parties, not bribing them. Sounds like Capcom just threw their lot in with the handheld they thought would be more successful. Ironically, these actions may have played a part in ensuring that.

cyborg009

Banned
I really doubt Nintendo moneyhatted Capcom. They're known for ignoring third parties, not bribing them. Sounds like Capcom just threw their lot in with the handheld they thought would be more successful. Ironically, these actions may have played a part in ensuring that.

They always had a good relationship with Nintendo, remember Capcom 5. And the 3DS was clearly the best choice from the start.

DR2K

Banned

Cheaper to make on the 3DS where they can reuse Wii and PSP assets. Whereas it's more expensive on the Vita which has a much smaller userbase than the PSP did when the first MH released. When Vita picks up they'll probably have something to announce.

Niether have happened. 3DS is the platform the next MH would sell the most, and be the cheapest to make. We've all seen how horribly shitty MH4 looks, they're obviously going for as small of a budget as possible.

Takao

Banned

"may"? I'm fairly certain Sony sold more than a million PSPs in the month Monster Hunter Portable 3rd was released, lol. Sony definitely tried to appease Capcom. When they unveiled Vita the very first PSP game ever demoed just so happened to be MHP3rd. The first PSP game in the PSP Remaster series for PS3 just so happened to be MHP3rd. In fact, SCEJ even made an exclusive PSP that featured an improved analog stick and an extended battery just for you guessed it, MHP3rd.

I'll be shocked if they don't decide to change the date, it'll probably end up releasing a little after, or even before, AC3

Ubisoft's really handling Liberation very poorly. A lot of people I know think it's the exact same game just with a girl instead of Connor. I guess that's what happens when you give the game literally a minute of screen time at E3.

zroid

Banned
"may"? I'm fairly certain Sony sold more than a million PSPs in the month Monster Hunter Portable 3rd was released, lol.

well, yes, but what I meant was, there's no guarantee Vita would have sold more than 3DS even if it had MonHun

With the way things are now, I can't imagine a different scenario

Takao

Banned
Bend had been working on GA since 2008 does this mean many other devs have been creating Vita games since then also.

No. I believe we found out that Cellius began development of Ridge Racer in early 2011, which explains why that game turned out like it did. While Bend began development of Golden Abyss relatively soon after Resistance Retribution wrapped up they were using PS3 devkits, as were many of the early SCE Vita games.

RpgN

Thanks for the videos you come up with once in a while. You're also getting better at commenting on them, you just need to work on the quiet moments. Sometimes it feels like you're spacing out for a second which might be without you noticing at that time. And sometimes you don't sound loud enough to hear what you're trying to say. But yeah, you're getting the hang of it and sounding more comfortable the more videos you make, keep it up :D

Ps. I got Crimson Gem Saga and Hexyz Force thanks to your videos. Now Puddles and Wizorb look pretty interesting too and will keep track of them.

spannicus

Sony just needs to promote these games. Put them all over the place and tout their differences from the console versions. Slap posters up and put screenshots in every gaming mag and website.

Takao

Banned
Sony probably moneyhatted the "Monster Hunter portable series"

You know, I've thought about this too but everyday that MHP3rd G isn't announced is another day I don't think this will happen. Especially since it's likely God Eater 2 is going to be this fall with a Vita SKU, and SCE creating their own proper MH response in Soul Sacrifice.

lepo

You know, I've thought about this too but everyday that MHP3rd G isn't announced is another day I don't think this will happen. Especially since it's likely God Eater 2 is going to be this fall with a Vita SKU, and SCE creating their own proper MH response in Soul Sacrifice.

Yes I agree

at this point they would have already announced it

but who knows :)

Why is this thread on page 3? ;-)

Spent some time with Motorstorm RC today. I finished 22% of the trophies and reached at least one medal on each event. I am not very happy with this game. Graphics and art style are good, sound was acceptable (except the music), but I really don't like the high difficulty. Some events can be really frustrating. I think the physics are a little bit too much, and the game mechanics are not really forgiving, it didn't make a lot of fun in the end, that's why I uninstalled it. I will never understand why some game designers rather make their games too hard then make them a little bit too easy. I hope LittleBigPlanet Karting will be easier, but I fear they will include a lot of these social crap trophies like "Share your map 100 times with your friends". *sigh*

I also played FIFA Soccer/Football on my Vita. It was my first football game and it was ok, not really great, but ok. I am not really a big football fan, maybe that's why I was not very enthusiastic about it. I lost nearly all my interest to invest additional time in this game when I found out about the trophy glitch, I have reached 45% trophies at this time. I thought about putting some pressure on EA by making a blog and a facebook group, writing their PR guys etc. etc., but I am not so sure it is worth it. I am inclined to just forget about this game and EA Sports games in general, and I don't think I will buy FIFA 13. I don't know.

Two games I enjoyed very much on my Vita were Mutant Blobs Attack and Plants vs Zombies, both really, really good games and worth every Cent. I completed both with 100% trophies. I also have Velocity on my Vita, but I did not play it yet because it has no trophies.
jk

Next I will probably pick up Uncharted: Golden Abyss (finally), it seems to be very similar to the other parts of the Uncharted series, which means I will have a lot of fun. Another game I will probably get is Resistance: Burning Skies. It seems to be quite fun and it has an easy platinum trophy.

Besides games, I use my Vita a lot for music videos and movie trailers. Vimeo seems to be a good source for high quality videos, I found there many stunning videos which look very good on the Vita, for example:

Move

The Aurora

The Mountain

There also are many music videos on Vimeo which I havent found in good quality on Youtube. It seems the producers / directors of these videos are uploading them by themselves on Vimeo. Here are some which I have on my Vita to demonstrate what the display is capable of:

Coldplay - Every Teardrop is a Waterfall

Kanye West - All of the Lights

Beyonce - 1+1

J. Cole - Nobody's Perfect

I downloaded them by using this site, but I guess there are others who can do the same. Because the Vita has no folders yet, I decided to sort the files by using prefixes like "MUSIC" for music videos or "TRAILER" for trailers etc, looks quite good.

Sony just needs to promote these games. Put them all over the place and tout their differences from the console versions. Slap posters up and put screenshots in every gaming mag and website.

Someone should tell Sony that. Never seen any advertisements for PSV in my region. Placing demo pods in stores is a big advertisement but there are only 3DS ones here.

H13

hey,i just bought PS vita white version over a month ago
hope to join the neogaf community
PSN :vitaberkat

i am now waiting for ragnarok oddsey :)

Vaati

Banned
I'm in a financial position where I could get a Vita this sometime this summer and have been seriously considering it. I really like JRPGs so I'm hoping it ends up similar to the PSP where there are a lot of them.

How do PSone Classics look on it?

Is Ys 7 the one I want? Anyone know what it costs on the NA store if so? I'm at work but I was going to grab a pre paid card on lunch.
I need a break from god eater for a bit.
Thanks

I'm in a financial position where I could get a Vita this sometime this summer and have been seriously considering it. I really like JRPGs so I'm hoping it ends up similar to the PSP where there are a lot of them.

How do PSone Classics look on it?

Firmware with PS1 classics support is not released yet. Will be in "summer" so apart from remote play noone knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom