• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Got Elites on everything in the first part of Wipeout. Definitely one of the best racers I have ever played. Visuals are amazing too.

Ran rp

It's been 6 freakin' months and we still can't organize photos into specific folders. Come the freak on, Sony. I hope the 1.7-1.8 update seriously beefs up the OS and apps.

Edit: Does anyone know why some photos show up as "?" in the photos app after transferring them to the Vita? I could never figure out why this keeps happening to some files and not others.

branny

No, it's a good game. Encounters are not at all repetitive as the game offers tons of different kinds of scenarios and cool boss fights. They aren't that drawn out either, if you know what you're doing.

The story is crap, though, you can't get around that fact even if you tried.
It's not quite repetition through lack of variety that I was thinking about; it's the repetition brought about from monotony. The developers did not have any regard for snappy pacing. Certain enemies/groups of enemies and most bosses take excessively long amounts of time to kill in my book. It's understandable to not agree with this since it's very subjective, but it's something I personally felt was poorly tuned. I'm not saying all bosses should have one lifebar and all regular enemies should be turned into popcorn enemies; I just always felt like things took way longer to kill than they should've. It's like modern Mario Kart games where I feel the karts all drive slightly too slow for some reason. The harder difficulties force you to understand specific scenarios quite a bit more, sometimes to the point where you feel like you need to cheese the game, but there are still a few design quirks to deal with that sometimes screw you over. I disliked the camera and aiming, too, but that might be way better on the Vita (I played it on PSP).

I do think some things are redeeming about it: the Overdive system made some battles pretty tactical, going crazy in Liberation mode is a lot of fun, and I liked the DNA chip stuff. I'd much rather play 3rd Birthday, warts and all, over Crisis Core, for example, which I thought was a complete abomination in every regard beyond its audiovisual presentation. Having finally forced myself through Golden Abyss, I'd probably rather play 3rd Birthday instead of that, too. =\

kidko

Don't know if old, but:

http://indiegames.com/2012/07/nifflas_to_create_knytt_underg.html

Nifflas has partnered with Green Hill and Ripstone Publishing to release Knytt Undergound on the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita this year. Nifflas has announced a Windows, Mac, Linux version, too.
In the press release, Green Hill stated the PlayStation 3 and Vita versions will get "unique content," too. Nicklas Nygren of Nifflas shared, "Knytt Underground is the biggest game I've ever developed and is the first game where I feel that I have a story to tell. It's about the big questions; trying to understand life and our place in it - and failing completely."
Kyntt Underground is the sequel to Kyntt and Kyntt Stories, both of which are freeware for Windows.

KNYTT%2018.jpg
KNYTT%2013-thumb-478x268-6458.jpg

Beast780

Because of my Vita, I've fell in love with Pinball games all over again. I'm playing Pinball Arcade and can't wait for Zen Pinball. It's SOO satisfying mastering a table and blasting by a high score. Too bad there aren't a lot of real pinball tables around my area.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Was browsing play.com and saw a listing for a WRC: FIA World Rally Championship 3 Vita version. I didn't know that was coming over. I'd LOVE a portable rally game with decent controls.

M779d.png

It'd be nice if Codies developed a standalone Dirt game for the Vita. :3

I'd really wish they would get the WRC License, judging from reviews, the games from the studio that develops them aren't worth importing.

Sheik

This minor game drought is frustrating. It totally sucks for students that go back in Fall. I have all this free time until September yet there are like 6 games coming out in October. Why, Sony, why.

This minor game drought is frustrating. It totally sucks for students that go back in Fall. I have all this free time until September yet there are like 6 games coming out in October. Why, Sony, why.

Because there's usually a drought of games in the Summer (followed by a ton of games in the Fall/Winter for the Holiday season)? I don't think it's exactly a Vita-exclusive problem (though the Vita has more noticeable symptoms, since the system is still new and the back catalog isn't that large yet). :)

GopherD

So they can drop the price, do a marketing blitz for the Christmas period and have a ton of content to back it up.

Who am I trying to kid? This is Sony

Codemasters hasn't announced if they're doing a Vita or 3DS version of F1 2012 as of yet. So they probably won't be.

Alongside LocoRoco and Patapon you have games like Patchwork Heroes, and Gurumin.

But..but..but...Gurumin is not available to Vita owners who lack a PS3. Not available on the Vita PSN in NA >:0(

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
2 whole games. YAY!

CFW can't come soon enough.

I don't dislike Vita, I dislike Sony for treating it like PSPGO 2.0. Besides Persona 4 Golden was my main reason for it.

I think we all agree on that,Sony need to act and fix many things including the system price, the store, lack of games,the games prices ..ect

but I just don't know/understand exactly how CFW will solve your (and our) problem with Sony and Vita here?

spannicus

Same here, by the time October hits I'm gonna be knee deep in finals. Finals and good games do not mix.

Codemasters hasn't announced if they're doing a Vita or 3DS version of F1 2012 as of yet. So they probably won't be.
I think I'm the only person in North America who bought a copy of F1 2011.

Of course that's an exaggeration, but it is a bit frustrating I live in a land (U.S) that ignores these kinds of games. I know the Vita version of F1 was a port of the 3DS game, but it was actually pretty good. And I don't think it would have sold if it were a new, original Vita title anyway.

At any rate if they released a rally game for Vita, I'd be a happy guy. As it is, I'm thinking of ordering an older Colin McRae game so I can get my rally fix.

I don't dislike Vita, I dislike Sony for treating it like PSPGO 2.0. Besides Persona 4 Golden was my main reason for it.

I can't say that I agree. I continue to find awesome PSP games that I missed the first go around, and have a 10+ game backlog on my Vita already.

Take a chance on some PSP games. I'm sure you'll find something to pass the time!

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Nothing more frustrating in Virtua Tennis 4 than losing a doubles match because your partner makes a mistake. I hate getting punished for the AI's problems.

Nothing more frustrating in Virtua Tennis 4 than losing a doubles match because your partner makes a mistake. I hate getting punished for the AI's problems.

THIS. So many times my partner would hit the ball to the one place where it could be easily slammed by our opponents.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
THIS. So many times my partner would hit the ball to the one place where it could be easily slammed by our opponents.
The guy keeps falling down or hitting the ball out. I could take both of them by myself, but I'm stuck with dead weight.

Okay, I couldn't really take them, but I'd try. :(

Eusis

2 whole games. YAY!

CFW can't come soon enough.
Admittedly they'll likely make many more transferable.

But they'll be dicks and only allow TWO games to be bought directly on Vita because they apparently think the VC approach, even if done in half, is the best for a handheld device with many, many games that could be played. Hell, the VC approach probably isn't best for the VC anyway.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Has anyone had problems with multiple button presses not registering? There are times when hitting X while moving the left analog stick doesn't do anything in Virtua Tennis 4, and more problematic, I can't do certain combos in MK. I tried a particular combo forever in the tutorial mode before just giving up.

Has anyone had problems with multiple button presses not registering? There are times when hitting X while moving the left analog stick doesn't do anything in Virtua Tennis 4, and more problematic, I can't do certain combos in MK. I tried a particular combo forever in the tutorial mode before just giving up.

I know that I can play games like UMvC3 and SFA3 Max just fine(pressing multiple buttons and it responds), but I know I drop way too many combos in MK for some reason. I can't even pull off an old Johnny Cage BnB.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I know that I can play games like UMvC3 and SFA3 Max just fine(pressing multiple buttons and it responds), but I know I drop way too many combos in MK for some reason. I can't even pull off an old Johnny Cage BnB.
That's because you're bad at the game though. I'm obviously incredibly skilled and the Vita is just cramping my style.

That's because you're bad at the game though. I'm obviously incredibly skilled and the Vita is just cramping my style.

I'm pretty sure it's MK; that Johnny Cage combo in the tutorial was brutal... you have to input the buttons ridiculously fast. I was able to do them by sliding my finger across the buttons, but not by individual successive button presses.

man why you gotta be like that

But now that you mention it, I have a few problems while playing Katamari sometimes. You may be right about me being bad at that game, so lucky you!

I'm pretty sure it's MK; that Johnny Cage combo in the tutorial was brutal... you have to input the buttons ridiculously fast. I was able to do them by sliding my finger across the buttons, but not by individual successive button presses.
Yeah, I'm really not used to the Vita, either, so I was really all kinds of screwed up.

zroid

Banned
I am quickly learning that I absolutely need to keep a cloth with me at all times while using this thing. Unlike with every other handheld I've ever used, my old pal "the t-shirt" only smudges the screen more. :/

Starting to wonder if this OLED's really worth the trouble :p

Massa

I just use my fingers to wipe the screen when the smudges are visible. I don't think I ever wiped this system with a cloth or anything of the sort.

branny

Yeah, I'm always wiping mine down with a microfiber. I LOVE TOUCH GAMING
actually the dpad and button areas need wiped, too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom