• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ephidel

Probably the best thing you'll ever buy for 40p.
I'm honestly surprised how well presented (and addictive) this thing is.
I don't think I'm particularly good at it, but it's fun anyhow, and for the price you can't go wrong really. The sixth stage is destroying me. I start out so well, and then just when I think I'm close, it all tumbles away, and the more I try to claw my way back, the more inevitable my eventual defeat becomes.
Or at least, it seems to start out well. Looking at the scoreboard, perhaps I've lost before I've begun :p

branny

How are the Vita-specific things in MGS HD Collection? I'm trying to decide if I should go for that or the PS3 version.

edit: Also, you guys are forgetting GotY juggernaut DJMAX TECHNIKA TUNE in your October Vita things. If it's $50 on PSN, that means you're already halfway there to the $100! :p

double edit: The last golf game I took seriously was Pebble Beach Golf Links on the Saturn. I think I'll pass on Hot Shots even though I know it'd appeal to the arcade gamer and fashionista in me (along with Pangya, probably).

triple edit: It sucks hearing about framerate issues in Lady Liberty, but I don't like AC so no sweat off my back, I guess. =\

Skyzard

Banned
Has the Pocket Gamer AC3L preview been posted yet?
They mention framerate issues.

Shame..but I expected it:

The title is looking detailed but choppy. The frame-rate was low as Aveline stalked through the lush middle-American swamps, and the Vita quite clearly struggled with the otherwise beautiful detail.

The frame-rate remains constant, but it's disappointing to see the most powerful handheld on the planet unable to cope with the world in which you inhabit.

So if it is constant but sluggish then I'm guessing they limited it to 20-25 fps... let's see what more reviewers think..

UberTag

What are the specific technical limitations that are leading to all of these framerate challenges with notable VITA titles? What is the exact challenge with VITA tech that lends itself to this obstacle in games like Uncharted, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, MGS HD Collection, Assassin's Creed III: Liberation, etc.?

cyborg009

Banned
mainImg_griffon_human.jpg
mainImg_cyclops_human.jpg

eh...

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
What are the specific technical limitations that are leading to all of these framerate challenges with notable VITA titles? What is the exact challenge with VITA tech that lends itself to this obstacle in games like Uncharted, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, MGS HD Collection, Assassin's Creed III: Liberation, etc.?
It is not as powerful as a ps3. Period.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Doesn't excuse poor framerate. If it lags, it needs more time in development.
It is not an the excuse, nor am i defending th developers, but that is the reason.

Also, uncharted does't really have framerate issues. plays pretty well to me.

Carl

I'm honestly surprised how well presented (and addictive) this thing is.
I don't think I'm particularly good at it, but it's fun anyhow, and for the price you can't go wrong really. The sixth stage is destroying me. I start out so well, and then just when I think I'm close, it all tumbles away, and the more I try to claw my way back, the more inevitable my eventual defeat becomes.
Or at least, it seems to start out well. Looking at the scoreboard, perhaps I've lost before I've begun :p

I'm terrible at it too. My memory is terrible, so i can never remember the pattern so they take me ages to solve :p

I HAVE PLAYED CALL OF DUTY: DECLASSIFIED

Touch me gaffers.

Multiplayer only.

The engine seems improved since Resistance: Burning Skies. Textures seem cleaner and the game seemed to run smoother; albeit I was playing 4 player local multiplayer.

With only 4 players, the map I played on seemed sparse of action so I didn't rack up a lot of kills and it got boring after a while.

Most interesting bit was inside the pregame menus. Setup very similar to what you expect from COD. Below your regular loadouts was an option for "near" loadouts. I assume you can pickup other people's loadouts via near. I thought that was pretty neat. Other than that, you have all your perk and setup options for your weapons. Good to see.

At $49.99, this still seems too pricey though. Might grab it if I can get $10 - $20 bones off.

Also played, Ass Creed for Vita. Thought the game felt sluggish but it looked beautiful. Didn't spend much time with it.

Didn't get a chance to play P4: Golden NA but there are plenty of impressions of that.

Skyzard

Banned
It is not an the excuse, nor am i defending th developers, but that is the reason.

It's not really a reason at all though. Plenty of platforms aren't as powerful as a PS3 but still have games that don't lag (including the vita).

Was there a sudden change of 1GB ram to 500MB ram btw? Maybe the first couple of batches of games had to adapt...if that was the case. Some didn't do it as well. Otherwise it's because they don't want to pay for development time for optimisation and just think, yeah that is good enough - or they just can't improve it.

my guess would be most engines used not being made with mobile/vita in mind or the ones that are are fairly new, things should improve over time one would hope

Definitely, but the better developers will be able to optimise anyway or at least make cutbacks/adjustments so that it is smooth and fluid.. wipeout 2048

Although bobbytkc has a point - a lot of games are trying to replicate the PS3 counterparts and aren't doing it as well since the Vita isn't as powerful as a PS3 like he said.. but yeah hopefully those games too will get better with time...as they always do.

branny

Half the time I think it's devs rushing to meet a deadline (NGS+, UC:GA, Lady Liberty). The other half I think it's carelessness or laziness, probably regarding porting certain things from existing code (MGS HD, NGS+ again). The third half is that snazzy visual effects are sadly often deemed more important than framerate this gen (so, basically, what we have now with many console games not running at 60fps).

Takao

Banned
Many of SCE's own early titles were developed on PS3 hardware for a good chunk of their dev cycles. I imagine that may be the case for some third parties as well.

Skyzard

Banned
Many of SCE's own early titles were developed on PS3 hardware for a good chunk of their dev cycles. I imagine that may be the case for some third parties as well.

Since we've heard they're actually pretty different..that seems like a terrible idea.. glad that's over with now though..or soon anyway.

edit: although I can't find what article I got that from...I remember a developer saying something like we were told ps3 and vita development was really easy with ports being possible in 2 weeks, which wasn't the case and he goes on about the hardware..anyway, hopefully things will look up now that they get more time with the vita too.

Good to hear about CoD, I bet it actually turns out pretty fun..shame about AC again though..

Skyzard

Banned
^ - from the full thread - "from someone who has played it":

3. The choppiness is MUCH improved. I would say "gone" but it's probably still a little sticky to someone who is playing this for the first time. If you've been playing since launch like I have, it feels "fixed".

Might want to wait for a few more confirmations?

More like Retribution than CoD but it did visually look a little more like CoD. Also, I don't recall this in Retribution, but after taking a few steps it would autorun. Not sure if you can turn it off.

That's fucking terrible, hopefully an option to disable or at least have a walking button...

It didn't feel like CoD though? -- think that was more to do with the framerate being 30 instead of 60? or it just felt off?

People keep saying Retribution. Don't you mean Burning Skies?

^ - from the full thread - "from someone who has played it":

Might want to wait for a few more confirmations?

That's fucking terrible, hopefully an option to disable or at least have a walking button...

It didn't feel like CoD though? -- think that was more to do with the framerate being 30 instead of 60? or it just felt off?

Fixed it.

I think the Framerate has something to do with the game not feeling like CoD. But there is a lot more to it than that. There's a certain feel to the motion and control of your character in CoD that just feels right. That isn't there at all in Declassified. As much as they try to make it look like CoD, it just isn't. Still, it's not a bad FPS.

Skyzard

Banned
from the other interview they said it's analogue movement so if you want to walk dont push the stick all the way forward iirc

Ah ok thanks, makes sense. That will take some getting used to though, I never did play it on PS3 though (pc mostly).

Will try and find some analogue rubber grips too, my oily thumbs keep slipping off, especially the right one..

Fixed it.

I think the Framerate has something to do with the game not feeling like CoD. But there is a lot more to it than that. There's a certain feel to the motion and control of your character in CoD that just feels right. That isn't there at all in Declassified. As much as they try to make it look like CoD, it just isn't. Still, it's not a bad FPS.

Damn! That was what I was worried about..not much point then. Looks like I'll probably be waiting for that GG Killzone Mercenary game, especially if the reviews are saying the same thing. :( Could have been special, Activision you cheap pricks.

Started the demo for Silent Hill: Book of memories and MAN that shop keeper VA is fucking great.

Rest of the game...well im slowly getting into it. Would probably be a lot more fun with more people and voice chat. It has a good atmosphere to it though. Kinda spooky/weird.

zroid

Banned
Bah, I didn't get to play any Vita games :/

CoD was always too busy and there were too few units available for AC3L and P4G (1 each). Oh welllllllll.

I probably missed a lot of them, but any more impressions on Silent Hill? My Vita is on JP region and I won't switch it for a while.

Seemed like the first batch were very negative, but now I'm seeing some here and there from people who are warming up to it.

For me, I don't have any overly nostalgic ties to Silent Hill - just wondering if it is a good dungeon-crawler-loot game.

OmegaZero

Bah, I didn't get to play any Vita games :/

CoD was always too busy and there were too few units available for AC3L and P4G (1 each). Oh welllllllll.

Psssssh, it's not like I was looking forward to your impressions or anything
baka

Bad luck, I guess.

OmegaZero

that's my gig

By the way, what exactly are those sunglasses referencing? I'm seeing avatars with those in every other thread/post.

EDIT:
For me, I don't have any overly nostalgic ties to Silent Hill - just wondering if it is a good dungeon-crawler-loot game.

Here's an impression that might interest you.
I noticed in my second playthrough that the zones are randomized. Didn't know that, but it could help the replayability.
EDIT2: I wouldn't say this is a loot game though. It's more of a dungeon crawler.

qcf x2

I checked out a gameplay video of Silent Hill. Looks pretty bad. Reminded me of a slow, boring version of Hunter: The Reckoning. Anyone remember that game for Xbox? It was pretty damn fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom