• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, yes it is...well worth the money, plays fantastic and looks gorgeous.

Everyone should but this game, for real, and for those worried about the game being too hard, is waaaaay more noob friendly that any of the previous games.

5 hours short

Talking about dj max, I've been playing the iPhone version while wilting for my vita copy and was wondering if its at all similar? Never played one before so...

zroid

Banned
Argh I wish I had put in more effort to play Declassified last night.

I wanted to revel in its mediocrity! I'm never going to buy it so that may have been my only chance. Hopefully there'll be a demo.

I think I read in one of the previous that the single player is 10 missions long, and the speed run of one of the missions took about 2 or 3 minutes...

Ya I think they are supposed to be like unit 13s missions. Though they need more than 10 in that case...

Talking about dj max, I've been playing the iPhone version while wilting for my vita copy and was wondering if its at all similar? Never played one before so...

Well, no, not really, the iphone version is just Tapsonic reeskined, and as you know already, uses several "fixed" virtual buttons in the bottom of the screen, TUNE is based on the gameplay of Djmax Technika, there are no buttons, the screen is divided in two horizontal zones, and the notes appear all over the screen in several lanes from left to right.

Edit: Is easier to post a video than explaining it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYRCkAZyVcM

Well, no, not really, the iphone version is just Tapsonic reeskined, and as you know already, uses several "fixed" virtual buttons in the bottom of the screen, TUNE is based on the gameplay of Djmax Technika, there are no buttons, the screen is divided in two horizontal zones, and the notes appear all over the screen in several lanes from left to right.

Oh that sounds better actually, does it still have the long notes that move as you hold down?

Carl

I think I read in one of the previous that the single player is 10 missions long, and the speed run of one of the missions took about 2 or 3 minutes...

That's like saying Mirror's Edge is shorter than 1 hour, because the speed run stages for it take about 1 hour total..

How many times do you need to play the stage in order to achieve those times?

Massa

That's like saying Mirror's Edge is shorter than 1 hour, because the speed run stages for it take about 1 hour total..

How many times do you need to play the stage in order to achieve those times?

I went back to the preview and actually I was wrong: the mission is you have 2 minutes to save hostages, period. Not a speedrun.

And don't you dare compare the best game of this generation to a Call of Duty game ever again. :p

UberTag

Hey guys... just checking in to get a confirmation of upcoming VITA release dates in North America. Let me know if I'm missing anything.

NEXT TUESDAY

Spy Hunter
SunFlowers

OCTOBER 16th

Jet Set Radio
Silent Hill: Book of Memories

OCTOBER 23rd

Smart as...
Street Fighter x Tekken
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

OCTOBER 26th

DJMax Technika Tune

OCTOBER 30th

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
LEGO Lord of the Rings
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Ragnarok Odyssey

NOVEMBER 6th

Legends of War: Patton

NOVEMBER 13th

Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified

NOVEMBER 20th

Persona 4: Golden
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Mzo

It's really good from what I've played, which is about an hour's worth. I mean, it's the same Parasite Eve it's always been, but it's just being shown on a really nice screen. Which is good because there is a lot of darkness in the game, and the Vita displays it really nicely.
Don't forget you can actually use the analog stick controls for real on a Vita, which is something you couldn't do on the PSP. The game plays better with that option.

I think I have figured out the whole PS Vita strategy and how Sony is OK with the current status of the handheld.

Looking at the history of the system so far, we have seen lots of bugs with the system (at least I have personally), new apps like Facebook, Youtube, and LiveTweet. The launch of Playstation Plus on the system, the adaptation of the PS One library. The launch of Playstation Mobile. All of this is beta-phase work.

The reason the price-cut is not yet here is because Sony is still using the first adopters as beta-testers. Once the system has all the bells and whistles, a solid line-up of games, mature apps and a mature OS, a price cut will make maximal impact. If they had a price-cut now before everything is in place the comments on the forums would be that it isn't ready for primetime.

The 3DS price cut worked because purchasers were greeted with a new Mario Kart and a new 3D Mario game, with a Resident Evil around the corner.

I have no doubts about the next year of the system. It will be a very solid device. As it is right now, I enjoy playing on it a lot more than the 3DS, which is like a kid's toy in comparison.

That's a nice thought, but I think what happened is that Sony wasn't ready for this. They got caught with their pants down. Uncharted released without multiplayer, COD and Resistance are Nihilistic products and therefore suck, HSG bombed everywhere that they had to port it to PS3, major gaps between releases, hard time convincing publishers to bring games to the platform, loss of MH to Nintendo, no SE games or commitment, lots of major 3rd parties MIA, etc. If they really want to keep the vita going for a long time and not kill it next year they'll need a price drop along with a major relaunch next year.

They said the OS is scalable, so relaunch with Vita 2000, vita tablet, and vita phone along with a major game to go with it. Problem is they will have to remove the Vita from dedicated handheld business and have refreshes yearly to keep up with smartphones/tablets, that would mean 3, 4 years down the line there will be games that release for those SKUs that are not compatible with the original Vita. There's also the problem of the paltry app store, but that's for them to figure out how to fix, not me. I'm also not convinced they are in a position to do something like this as that would require a lot of money and effort.

Out of curiosity though, what kind of bugs have you encountered? Do the apps suck a lot?I always thought that the OS was stable and responsive, almost iOS and android like. Is that not the case? Also read somewhere the netflix and twitter apps were great whereas the iphone and music unlimited apps sucked.

zroid

Banned
Haha, this is a public thing, actually! It was pretty awesome, except for the serious lack of attention to the Vita -- most of the Vita demo units were relegated to the basement which I'm betting most attendees didn't even know about.

The only Vita games available on the main floor were a few with CoD and one with P4G.

Carl

I went back to the preview and actually I was wrong: the mission is you have 2 minutes to save hostages, period. Not a speedrun.

And don't you dare compare the best game of this generation to a Call of Duty game ever again. :p

I wasn't comparing the two games :p I was comparing the idea of taking a speedrun as being how long it takes to complete a stage. But as it happens, it wasn't a speed run anyway.

How short?

I'm pretty sure it's the easiest platinum on Vita too lol

Like four hours short. Finishing the campaign and maxing out to level 40 in multiplayer can honestly take only about 2-3 days.

It's definitely short -- I booted it up sometime yesterday afternoon or evening... I played on and off for a couple hours and was 80% through the final stage. I picked it up this morning and beat it.

Easiest platinum I've ever gotten too. It would've been easier still if I had played on casual.

Well, assuming that list is accurate, my wallet is as dead as the Vita
is claimed to be

Thankfully, I think the only thing on that list that I'm buying in the short term are SunFlowers.

I'd consider SFxT Vita for the crossplatform DLC, but I'm not sure how that works, exactly -- does the game come with a voucher for them or something?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm sure I already asked this question before, but I forgot to check for replies, so.

Guys, do the Vita games save progress on the game cards, or in the Vita Memory Card (or system itself)?

sajj316

Haha, this is a public thing, actually! It was pretty awesome, except for the serious lack of attention to the Vita -- most of the Vita demo units were relegated to the basement which I'm betting most attendees didn't even know about.

The only Vita games available on the main floor were a few with CoD and one with P4G.

So dumb. VitaGAF should be in charge of Vita marketing it seems.

Is there any way to check that?

For example for Uncharted and Wipeout, do these save to the memory card?

Both those games save to the card :) and I don't think there's any way if checking save for googling around, though feel free to correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Hey guys... just checking in to get a confirmation of upcoming VITA release dates in North America. Let me know if I'm missing anything.

[

OCTOBER 30th

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation - Definite unless reviews/gameplay footage are totally negative/technical problems etc.
Need for Speed: Most Wanted - 50/50 on vita or 360 version will wait for footage/reviews but likely get one or the other.
Ragnarok Odyssey - Interested due to hype in this thread, doesn't seem my type of game but definitely at least game flying it.

NOVEMBER 20th

Persona 4: Golden - Already pre ordered on amazon and insanely excited

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed - I think the one before this was leaps and bounds better than any kart racer I've ever played. Same boat as need for speed will likely buy 360 or vita depending on reviews/footage.

More games than I realized I'm interested in. Probably will buy puddle/blob/stardust eventually as well and/or get psvita+ if the offerings are better than what has been on ps3 (spent a year and used it on nothing but stacking ugh :( )

More games than I realized I'm interested in. Probably will buy puddle/blob/stardust eventually as well and/or get psvita+ if the offerings are better than what has been on ps3 (spent a year and used it on nothing but stacking ugh :( )

Go buy stardust and blobs right now or you are banned from the thread!

joke

but seriously. Buy them or else

So it is a true console experience :p

"At one point in this dark and dangerous land you rather abruptly encounter a crocodile..."

I stopped reading the Pocketgamer preview at that point.

Crocodiles are not native to NA. We have alligators. If they can't even correctly classify a creature in its habitat, I can't expect them to correctly classify game segments.

:p

LuchaShaq

Banned
Go buy stardust and blobs right now or you are banned from the thread!

joke

but seriously. Buy them or else

Already have a ton of shit to play through so I will def buy them when I get through borderlands2/my recent p3p playthrough/VC2 for psp, but my hope is by then they will be a plus offering.

NEXT TUESDAY

Spy Hunter
SunFlowers

OCTOBER 16th

Jet Set Radio
Silent Hill: Book of Memories

OCTOBER 23rd

Smart as...
Street Fighter x Tekken
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

OCTOBER 26th