• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterC20XX

New Little King's Story is worth the asking price. It's a big game and a full fledged action RPG/ Kingdom Building game with lots of charm. If you find Animal Crossing, Rune Factory and Pikmin fun and compelling then NLKS will positively hook you. None of my play sessions this week with it have been less than an hour long because once I pick it up I can't put it back down again.

The only reasons I can think of to shy away from the asking price are if you are very sensitive to slowdown (only happens in town so it doesn't effect the action) or if you just don't like the games I mentioned in the paragraph above. Otherwise, GET IT!

You had me at Animal Crossing.

cyborg009

Banned
I play a Valhalla knights on the PSP and thought it was really bad...

This look like they're trying to reuse Wii asset

b0Bjr.jpg

for above

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002I0JZOC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

New Little King's Story is worth the asking price. It's a big game and a full fledged action RPG/ Kingdom Building game with lots of charm. If you find Animal Crossing, Rune Factory and Pikmin fun and compelling then NLKS will positively hook you. None of my play sessions this week with it have been less than an hour long because once I pick it up I can't put it back down again.

The only reasons I can think of to shy away from the asking price are if you are very sensitive to slowdown (only happens in town so it doesn't effect the action) or if you just don't like the games I mentioned in the paragraph above. Otherwise, GET IT!

My wallet is crying right now cause I think I need to go by this game. :'(

Kazerei

Banned
I think I'm gonna pass Little King and wait for Ragnarok... Ragnarok is good right?

Combat is similar to Phantasy Star (the modern action RPGs). But instead of leveling up, you farm items and craft better equipment like in Monster Hunter.

Wanny

Combat is similar to Phantasy Star (the modern action RPGs). But instead of leveling up, you farm items and craft better equipment like in Monster Hunter.

Well that sounds already amazing. Love MH and I'm pretty sure I would like PSO2.

any story and ending like phantasy star and god eater, or it's just repeating quest over and over again like monhun?

Roubjon

As much as I want New Little King's Story, I'm not going to buy it yet. I have way too many games to play for Vita and I really don't need it. I'll definitely play it along the line though. All of the comparisons to action rpgs and sim games makes it sound really addicting.

There's a story, but it's minimal. RO pretty much follows the same formula as MH.

I got bored with monhun after a while, got stuck on a hard mission and don't have time to figure it out through trial and error. playing it solo probably add to my frustation also. I fear Ragnarok will fall in the same trap for me. having a story may be trivial, but having the feeling of story progressing and I'm slowly move toward the ending is usually a big part of motivation to beat a game even if the story is nothing special. as long as it's not insultingly bad, I usually welcome some kind of story in my game.

Vitacat

That's the reason I'm not playing it. I'm still not sure that the game is my sort of thing, and I'm not going to put down a non-refundable $40 without a demo.

Ditto.

Publishers have a great deal yet to learn about digital pricing. So, let them learn. Don't pay outrageous prices. There are always other games to play.

$40 for a digital game is a LOT to ask, especially when there is no demo. $36 is the absolute most I'm willing to pay for a new digital Vita game, and even that is too high IMO. $20 - $30 is the sweet spot. A lot more digital games would get sold if people didn't feel so ripped off (i.e. high prices, no re saleability).

Kazerei

Banned
I got bored with monhun after a while, got stuck on a hard mission and don't have time to figure it out through trial and error. playing it solo probably add to my frustation also. I fear Ragnarok will fall in the same trap for me. having a story may be trivial, but having the feeling of story progressing and I'm slowly move toward the ending is usually a big part of motivation to beat a game even if the story is nothing special. as long as it's not insultingly bad, I usually welcome some kind of story in my game.

The difficulty in RO isn't as bad, and there's online play, so hopefully you won't get discouraged.

Ditto.

Publishers have a great deal yet to learn about digital pricing. So, let them learn. Don't pay outrageous prices. There are always other games to play.

$40 for a digital game is a LOT to ask, especially when there is no demo. $36 is the absolute most I'm willing to pay for a new digital Vita game, and even that is too high IMO. $20 - $30 is the sweet spot. A lot more digital games would get sold if people didn't feel so ripped off (i.e. high prices, no re saleability).

I never sold my games so that is never an issue for me personally. I've bought full $60 game digital download and have no problem because by the time the game's out, I already know what to expect through demos/developer walkthrough videos/ etc. lack of demos or videos explaining the game is my main issues with LKS. I'm sure I can search this online, but with so many other games come out, I felt I'd rather buy other game I'm more certain about than spent the effort of researching this game I'm not sure I like or not.

zroid

Banned
I never sold my games so that is never an issue for me personally. I've bought full $60 game digital download and have no problem

lol, I've never even paid $60 for a retail game! (unless it's a Collector's Edition of some sort)

I don't sell my games either, but I do believe having that right is important for a consumer. I think, more important than resale rights though is transferability. Let's say I had a hypothetical younger sibling or progeny to whom I would want to give ownership of my games. As far as I know there is no legal way to do that with downloads.

I'm actually going off on an unexpected tangent now, but if there's any one advantage to Nintendo's otherwise unfortunate tying of game licenses to systems (as opposed to accounts) it's that your system can be transferred along with the games to a new owner without breaking any terms of service. Or you could just do the system transfer thing and keep the system but cede the games.

Vitacat

Regarding NLKS, not everyone who bought it seems to think it's worth the high price. Just saw on Gamefaqs Vita board this post, for example:

I hate aimlessly looking for the next thing to do, especially if that's because of poor design, and this game is the definition of this phenomenon: in game map is terrible, the quest directions are useless, and you're just left to wonder around until you find where you're supposed to be.

Now this would be fine if you're doing this for fun/side quests/exploration, but to complete the main story? Please...

The above is also not helped by the frame drops, when there are too many things going on in the screen (such as *gasp* 30 or more objects!), and the fact that your minions get stuck over obstacles, and sometimes even fall off a cliff, rendering you to track all the way back to get them to follow you.

If the above issues are fixed, this would've been a great game. This honestly feels like an Indie/low budget game.

If publishers are going to ask high prices for digital games, they MUST provide demos. And I still say $40 is way too much for a digital handheld game. Once again, I think $20 - $30 for full Vita games is the sweet spot. For smaller/indie games, $5 - $15, and that much PSN has gotten right with Sound Shapes, Escape Plan etc.

If Sony wonders why iOS is getting all the sales, well, look at the prices. The playing field has changed. You're selling digital files with no box or shipping costs etc., and no way for buyers to resell etc. You should not be charging retail box prices.

Kyon

Banned
OMG it was so cute how she healed like she was using the Sailor Moon Sceptor * . * made the sfx too. SQWEEEE!

RO can't be any more perfect for a MH vet/Anime fan like me * . * the magic is just>>>

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Oh no. Hearing that theres no story in Ragnarok bums me out. I need some narrative to move me along. Is there really zero plot?
From RPGamer's preview:

While Monster Hunter's story is effectively non-existent, there is an overarching plot in Ragnarok Odyssey's missions. However, it shouldn't be expected to be anywhere near as entrenched into the game as it was in God Eater, seemingly there just as a basic framework for the quests.

Noi

You people are making it really hard to choose between Ragnarok Odyssey, New Little King's Story and Code of Princess. :(

OmegaZero

You people are making it really hard to choose between Ragnarok Odyssey, New Little King's Story and Code of Princess. :(

If Code of Princess is really a successor to Guardian Heroes, then Code of Princess >>>>>>>RO and NLKS.
Just sayin'.

VanWinkle

So next week on Vita we get Spy Hunter (or rather "none of us get" for that one), Retro City Rampage, Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock (we'll have to see on that), and Sunflowers.

OmegaZero

So next week on Vita we get Spy Hunter (or rather "none of us get" for that one), Retro City Rampage, Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock (we'll have to see on that), and Sunflowers.

We get Spy Hunter.
We totally get it, which is why we're not buying it.

EDIT: Top of page, so buy Spy Hunter and Code of Princess.

VanWinkle

On a scale of spy hunter to witcher 2 how good will doctor who look?

The game on PS3 wasn't reviewed very well. But they've had to time to improve the Vita version. Who knows. May still be mediocre, but, my friend, it will be no Spy Hunter.

To those crazy Urupens out there who bought Sunflower: is it good? I thought it looked good.

Noi

Get them all! Nah I would just go by Metacritic score lol ^_^

If I was still employed, I'd gobble them all up, believe you me.

You mean this right?

BetrayalGAF. I'm already spending $100+ on VLR and Persona 4 Super shiny gold edition, plus I need to own more than one 3DS game sometime! Theatrhythm is getting old.

If Code of Princess is really a successor to Guardian Heroes, then Code of Princess >>>>>>>RO and NLKS.
Just sayin'.

See, I've never played Guardian Heroes (or its XBLA remake) so I have nothing to base that on. All 3 games would be new experiences for me!

OmegaZero

^^ Not you promoting a terrible port tho
09954248.gif

Fine, buy Spy Hunter unless you're Kyon
or own a Vita

EDIT:
See, I've never played Guardian Heroes (or its XBLA remake) so I have nothing to base that on. All 3 games would be new experiences for me!

Well, CoP is supposed to have one of the most limited print runs Atlus USA has done so far.
Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42775451&postcount=126

But it really depends on which handheld you want to spend more time with this holiday season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom