• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.
The game is awesome (unlike P3P crap),but I don't think it will do anything,it's a very niche title.

Niche or not, P4G will sell well. Why? Because Vita owners have been starved for content. I think that the averge Vita owner is an informed gaming consumer. They've been awaiting the big titles for months on end and they're willing to try anything new. The months of October and November are a virtual smorgasbord of Vita Heaven.

- Persona 4 Golden
- Assassin's Creed: Liberation
- Ragnarok Odyssey
- Need for Speed: Most Wanted
- Retro City Rampage
- Doctor Who
- Jet Set Radio

That's seven games that I'm personally buying. Who knows how many the average owner will buy, but I guarantee P4G is on their list.

And P3P is awesome. =P

spannicus

Traded Resistance Burning Skies, Sky rim, Mw3, Mk vita, MGS HD collection. Got 85 dollars and paid off AC:L NFSMW. Then I paid off Book of Memories and SFxT lol. Just wanted to brag lol. I'm set for a while. Forgot to trade Gears 3 for CoD vita.

cyborg009

Banned
Traded Resistance Burning Skies, Sky rim, Mw3, Mk vita, MGS HD collection. Got 85 dollars and paid off AC:L NFSMW. Then I paid off Book of Memories and SFxT lol. Just wanted to brag lol. I'm set for a while. Forgot to trade Gears 3 for CoD vita.

Rent

Get P4G or PASBR

Watched some anime on this thing again today. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure looked SOOOO GOOD*, even if my screen was smudged up beyond belief.

* JoJo's Bizarre Adventure was also fucking awesome fyi

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I played the PSABR beta on the Vita. I honestly don't get it. It's really poor honestly. Game plays fine but it feels so soulless - really killed all my hype for it and I'm almost assuredly not buying it.

And yeah anime looks great on the device. CR app where :(

Carl

- Platinumed Resistance: Burning Skies. This game... this game, ugh, so many mixed feelings over it. On one hand, it plays really well on the Vita. It felt incredibly nature to play a FPS on with the Vita. Nihilistic did an amazing job in the way game handles. But on the other hand, this game is bland as hell! There was next no music during the levels. The game felt flat and without any immersive atmosphere because of this. I only played one round of multiplayer so I could obtain the single trophy I needed to complete the Platinum. Overall, R:BS isnt a bad game, it cold have been so much more.

Yup, pretty much my feelings on R:BS. It's a good game made badly.

I played the PSABR beta on the Vita. I honestly don't get it. It's really poor honestly. Game plays fine but it feels so soulless - really killed all my hype for it and I'm almost assuredly not buying it.

Beta for plus members starts soon and should involve more changes. I say give it another go. It is a really fun game once you figure out the different moves and how time supers and dodge supers.

That said there is barely a game in existence that will please everyone.

Carl

Pretty much the opposite of my impressions from the beta :p

Eusis

COD will be the best selling Vita game of the year, i assure you.
I have a feeling it'll be Assassin's Creed, actually. Heavy hitter + more receptive audience + side game that seems to be worth playing = maybe this will be the Vita's Liberty City Stories?

I'll agree with this. Especially after seeing the "final" roster. I don't think there's many people I want to play as and I'm already bored of the game after a very limited amount of time put into the beta.

Carl

I have a feeling it'll be Assassin's Creed, actually. Heavy hitter + more receptive audience + side game that seems to be worth playing = maybe this will be the Vita's Liberty City Stories?

We can hope! I'll be doing my bit and buying it day one.

Honestly, i kind of hope they both do well, to show Ubi and Activision that games can sell and they can make money on the Vita.

I don't think there's any chance COD is going to sell well. I don't think the typical person that owns a vita gives a fuck about COD. And I don't think the typical person who loves COD gives a fuck about the Vita or even having a portable version of it at all.

I really hope AC:Lib sells well or next fall is going to be awfully dire for serious third party support.

Takao

Banned
I don't think there's any chance COD is going to sell well. I don't think the typical person that owns a vita gives a fuck about COD. And I don't think the typical person who loves COD gives a fuck about the Vita or even having a portable version of it at all.

I really hope AC:Lib sells well or next fall is going to be awfully dire for serious third party support.

GTA V:ery Sub Native Res edition by Nihilistic for Vita

Carl

The few people i know with a Vita are all buying COD :/ I know that doesn't mean much, but still :p

P90

Yeah I pre ordered PASBR. Never played the Persona series. What's it like? For some reason I'm most excited for Most Wanted over anything

Depends on the game. Persona 1 and 2 are much darker in tone/theme than 3 and especially 4. The battle mechanics of 4 are far superior to the other games. Hence, P3P had the P4 battle mechanics shoehorned into it. P4 has quite a bit of slapstick comedy in it. Not your standard SMT fare. That turns off some SMT fans. I rate P4 as one of the best games of all time. The characters in P4 come across as friends you are hanging out with and building a "relationship" with. I don't want to give you any spoilers. P4/G and P3P are pretty much "must play" games.

The few people i know with a Vita are all buying COD :/ I know that doesn't mean much, but still :p

Why must buying CoD be a bad thing? If someone's interested in it and thinks they'll like the game, let them buy it. It's good for everyone in the long run. If it bombs and Activision says "well we obviously don't have a market on Vita, let's work on console/pc games and next-gen and forget handhelds except the 3DS/DS", I should think that'd be a bad thing.

spannicus

Depends on the game. Persona 1 and 2 are much darker in tone/theme than 3 and especially 4. The battle mechanics of 4 are far superior to the other games. Hence, P3P had the P4 battle mechanics shoehorned into it. P4 has quite a bit of slapstick comedy in it. Not your standard SMT fare. That turns off some SMT fans. I rate P4 as one of the best games of all time. The characters in P4 come across as friends you are hanging out with and building a "relationship" with. I don't want to give you any spoilers. P4/G and P3P are pretty much "must play" games.

Thanks for the details :), everyone here seems to think its a great game I'll definitely try it out then.

Does anyone remember the name of that game for PSP that is a turn based JRPG set in feudal Japan with an Okami artsyle? I though I read the sequel was being localized but I can't remember the name.

It might be my morning grumpy mood which I'm now used to, but that doesn't really impress me to be honest. Sure it looks fun but ... seriously arcade (more so then burnout or NFS from what I remember)

It's made by Criterion, the developers of Burnout. It's basically Burnout, with cops and licensed cars, open world and such, with the NFS franchise slapped onto it. I can't wait! Those screens look gorgeous.

Just finished Dokuro!! *__*

Awesome game but made me use my brain a lot! x'DD

Really cool game, would've bought it at the 40 price tag, but for the cheap price they asking it's a must for the vita.

Sounds awesome! Is it out yet in NA? I want it pretty bad xO

Wow, it's good to have my ban over with and to be posting again!

Welcome back! Congrats on the plats, I'm jelly. I only have Sound Shapes so far, but I went for the double plat in that. I want to work on the Motorstorm RC double plat as well..

Niche or not, P4G will sell well. Why? Because Vita owners have been starved for content. I think that the verge Vita owner is an informed gaming consumer. They've been awaiting the big lies or months on end and they're willing o try anything new. The months of October and November are a virtual smorgasbord of Vita Heaven...

my feelings too. the 'vita owner' demographic right now is not your average console owner demographic, & i think p4g fits it well...

Yopis

Graphically GA peaks with the log flume type bit, obviously game wise there's very little happening, and geometry wise the view is very dense, but just graphically I was literally slack jawed, I couldn't believe a handheld game could look that good, it could have been in the console three and it would not look out of place whatsoever, amazing.

Felt the same. Game really blew me away in places. Just love the look of the game, hope we get a sequel.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

You changed your avatar. :(

But yes, I pretty much agree with your assessment.

Skyzard

Banned
It's made by Criterion, the developers of Burnout. It's basically Burnout, with cops and licensed cars, open world and such, with the NFS franchise slapped onto it. I can't wait! Those screens look gorgeous.

You're right it's gonna be good, was just the morning grumps with the blurred pics!

... Did we see these before? Is this credible? Looks insanely good (probably some type of screenshot mode though):

VITA_NFSMW13scrn_gallery_post.jpg

VITA_OUTRUN_COPS_gallery_post.jpg

The aliasing makes me think..yes.. the resolution of both is 902x511 which isn't far off native and car model (polygon count) look about right but still very impressive even if there is a bit of blur on the bottom shot :S . Let's see..couldn't find anything else although maybe we don't have to wait a week..anyone remember how the guy got those earlier blurry shots?

edit: Another one from here:

need_for_speed_most_wanted_2012_1.jpg

edit 2: although they could just be down-sized... the last site had a slightly bigger (then vita native) version of the same image posted as well as the other one...so I dunno :S

another edit: had a look on gamespot and ign and didn't see higher quality images of them but the one with the police cars in the back and the sunset looks familiar..one similar shot from the x360 section:

.. where everything looks much higher quality so seems like the others may be legit? Posted on like 3 news sites too but not that popular.

For reference, the original image we had. Newer ones posted.

By the way, open world driving is amazing fun. It's basically why I play GTA (now hopefully without the lag).

Ran rp

edit: Another one from here:

need_for_speed_most_wanted_2012_1.jpg

Never saw this one.

another edit: had a look on gamespot and ign and didn't see higher quality images of them but the one with the police cars in the back and the sunset looks familiar..one similar shot from the x360 section:

.. where everything looks much higher quality so seems like the others may be legit? Posted on like 3 news sites too but not that popular.

By the way, open world driving is amazing fun. It's basically why I play GTA (now hopefully without the lag).

From the old NFS Vita thread:

PSY・S;41141629 said:
PCS360 on top, Vita on bottom.

need_for_speed_most_wanted_2012-wide.jpg

VITA_NFSMW13scrn_gallery_post.jpg

Need_For_Speed_Most_Wanted_2012_Game_HD_Wallpaper-gWb.jpg

VITA_OUTRUN_COPS_gallery_post.jpg

Handheld gaming in 2012 y'all.

Skyzard

Banned
PSY・S;42932887 said:
Never saw this one.

From the old NFS Vita thread:

Awesome Psy S, not sure how I missed them! Looks amazing, although I highly doubt that Porsche screenshot in the middle is supposed to be there! ;) (Unless it's just the formatting of the post) Cannot wait!!! Vita gameplay footage will be so rewarding in itself...I can feel it.

cyborg009

Banned
No, but my friend is a huge Beserk fan so I'll probably watch it sometime. Though I have this problem where when I start an anime, I NEVER finish it.

Funny I just watch a bit of it on youtube and its looks horrible compare to old school anime and manga....

I start watching the anime after I took peek at the ending of the golden age saga ending
It was too much for me to handle
Does anyone remember the name of that game for PSP that is a turn based JRPG set in feudal Japan with an Okami artsyle? I though I read the sequel was being localized but I can't remember the name.

I asked yoshida about the PSP version, he told me no but that doesn't leave out the Vita version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom