• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got to try out the Vita version of Need for Speed Most Wanted at the EB Expo the other day (Australian E3-wannabe thing). I'm not sure how old the build was; it looked okaaaay, but the frame rate was nice and smooth for the most part. It had a bizarre thing where other cars and objects would suddenly become really, really blocky in the distance, and the crashes have lost a lot of impact compared to the console version. Still, good fun!

Skyzard

Banned
I got to try out the Vita version of Need for Speed Most Wanted at the EB Expo the other day (Australian E3-wannabe thing). I'm not sure how old the build was; it looked okaaaay, but the frame rate was nice and smooth for the most part. It had a bizarre thing where other cars and objects would suddenly become really, really blocky in the distance, and the crashes have lost a lot of impact compared to the console version. Still, good fun!

hmmmm..please go on if you can, not like the shots in the previous page?

Sony Cambridge who have been renamed/merged(?) to/with GG.

Bit strange, I didn't realise that :S Reluctant-Hero seems really pleased so that's good.

hmmmm..please go on if you can, not like the shots in the previous page?

I'm hoping that was a dev build. Never the less, in Criterion I trust.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm hoping that was a dev build. Never the less, in Criterion I trust.

I'm not too worried about the blocks and I'm sure it is still early but I doubt we'll see huge improvements...let's see..it was only a few days ago he mentioned..edit: it runs oct 5th-7th!..looking for footage ;)

positive reports here:

@MarcoM It felt great. It was a bit hard getting used to the Easydrive while in the middle of driving with the Vita. Otherwise, it was great.

@MarcoM No footage has been made although I can guarantee it looks great for what Criterion did with the Vita version.

Ponn

Banned
So 25 days to LoTR Lego and nothing from Vita version? I don't think my blood pressure can take another rant against TT's.

WUT?! Lego LoTR is getting a Vita bundle?!
Yeah, I think it's getting one in Europe. How awesome, right?

EDIT: Got it.

In fact, Sony is bundling just about every big release with the handheld later this year. There will be Vita Wi-Fi bundles for each of the following games: Assassin’s Creed III: Liberation, Madden NFL 13, FIFA 13, Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, Lego The Lord of the Rings, LittleBigPlanet PS Vita, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale. Each bundle will run at the standard Vita Wi-Fi price of $250, but whether any additional peripherals like memory cards or cases will be included is yet to be determined.

Got little king story. It started off fun but got boring pretty quick. I'm hoping this is just the typical JRPG 'ramp up to fun' that the genre loves so much.

Got little king story. It started off fun but got boring pretty quick. I'm hoping this is just the typical JRPG 'ramp up to fun' that the genre loves so much.

I found that you need to pay attention to what the game tells you about main objectives. Side quest get map markers, but main quests don't. Slightly absurd, no?

Edit: Whoops, apologies for the double post.

I don't know if this makes any sense, but I'm finding I'm really glad I traded for a used Vita with some very slight cosmetic damage.

I'm so crazy sometimes about trying to keep my electronics in absolutely perfect condition, and it kinda takes the pressure off, knowing it's already a little scuffed up, and I'm absolutely okay with it.

Now when I see a new mark or something, it's no big deal, I just consider it a battle scar and move on. It gives my Vita character. =P

VanWinkle

It seems so weird that we don't have more FPSs on this system. There's only one, and it's the definition of mediocre. It honestly shocks me a little.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
It seems so weird that we don't have more FPSs on this system. There's only one, and it's the definition of mediocre. It honestly shocks me a little.
I have been playing some FPS on my phone and... damn, I'm very temped of buying R:BS or CoD just to experience Not horrible controls for a change. :/

Yopis

PSY・S;42936097 said:
Does anyone else have to rebuild the database every time they try to add music to content manager?

Kept getting could not start application errors after adding a bunch of stuff. Rebuilt database and it did the trick for me.

kiyomi

Gotta say I'm preferring DJ Max a ton over Miku right now in the demo department. Feel more important to the tune, too. I need DJ Max fo sho.

Ponn

Banned
PSY・S;42936097 said:
Does anyone else have to rebuild the database every time they try to add music to content manager?

I'm still not getting playlists to show up. Finally gave up and just transferred music I wanted on the Vita to my PS3, created a playlist there and then transferred to vita from PS3. It's annoying workaround but it worked.

Grinchy

Banned
Why are you spending time in this thread when you could be playing LittleBigPlanet? Go buy it.

Why are you even reading this sentence when you could be playing LBP?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
So guys whats the suggested settings for PSP games on the Vita? I have the colorspace thing turned off at the moment and Bilinear Filtering off. I'd like to know some nice settings for both 2D and 3D if possible. o:

Rootbeer

Banned
I decided to cancel my Ragnarok Odyssey order... for now :( Just too many games coming out right now. Paper Mario 3DS, Wii U + launch games, Persona 4 Golden... i can't take anymore!!! I will pick it up when there is a sale :/ That, and Little King Vita... I want to support these games, and I will... when the time is right for me >.<

Playing Chrono Cross on my vita till Golden in-between LBPV sessions. FINALLY... been waiting for this moment... CC looks great

I hope I don't regret this choice. But I can always buy it later. Also passing on LEGO Lord of the Rings Vita since I wasn't too pleased with the Lego Batman 2 version Vita got. Maybe reviews will change my mind on that, when they start coming out.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Reading your post Zulithe makes me happy that I don't care about anything but my Vita for gaming. I can spend my gaming budget on any of the titles I want and don't have to make tough decisions like that. :p

Eusis

Colorspace always off. Bilinear on for 3D off for 2D.
Well, it's case by case for 2D. Corpse Party would be perfect with it off IF they didn't apply some weird filter to the sprites, as is you gotta ask which you'd prefer: Nice sharp backgrounds but with weird pixelated not-smoothing on the sprites, or a consistent look with everything smoothed out, but naturally it's all blurry? Lunar seems to be in a similar position too, coming off as a game MEANT to be smoothed out.

Games like Cladun and the Badman series are unquestionably better without smoothing though, unless you just hate pixels then you shouldn't even be caring about when this option is/isn't best to use.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
What does colorspace do?
From the manual:
The screen of your PS Vita system uses organic EL technology, so its colour space differs from the colour space of the PSP™ system, which uses a liquid crystal screen. Enabling this function makes the colour space of your PS Vita system more like that of a liquid crystal screen, so you can enjoy more original colour.

It makes the colors look less rich and dark.

RyL

Banned
What program would some of you suggest for converting videos into a format playable on the Vita?

http://www.pspvideo9.com/converter/ps-vita/
Unfortunately, the PSV is the most useless multimedia player I ever witnessed, everything is a pain in the arse. The apps, the browser, the content manager which needs an internet connection otherwise it won't work, and the list goes on and on.
It's a real shame about all that wasted potential. It's a Sony!

ajim

So, I jumped in!

Picked up a PSVita bundle from JB HI Fi for $299 with Fifa Football, Little Big Planet Vita, a Starter Pack and also picked up New Little Kings Story.

Funny thing is tho - the first thing I did was log into the PS Store and download Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and played that first. lol.

So far, so good.

Unfortunately, the PSV is the most useless multimedia player I ever witnessed, everything is a pain in the arse. The apps, the browser, the content manager which needs an internet connection otherwise it won't work, and the list goes on and on.
It's a real shame about all that wasted potential. It's a Son
Is this true? So you can't play videos/music without an internet connections? So I can't use them on the commute to work?

So, I jumped in!

Picked up a PSVita bundle from JB HI Fi for $299 with Fifa Football, Little Big Planet Vita, a Starter Pack and also picked up New Little Kings Story.

Funny thing is tho - the first thing I did was log into the PS Store and download Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and played that first. lol.

So far, so good.

Is this true? So you can't play videos/music without an internet connections? So I can't use them on the commute to work?

You can't transfer them to your Vita from your PC or PS3 without an internet connection.

Of course you don't need one to actually play them :)

ajim

Thats a relief.

My pack also came with a 4Gb game, though, I suspect this won't be last me very long when demos are 500-800mb themselves.

Should I dive in and get a 32gb for roughly $100?

edit: Also, can you organise the main menu screen like you can with the 3DS? Or is it stuck as is?

Sid

Thats a relief.

My pack also came with a 4Gb game, though, I suspect this won't be last me very long when demos are 500-800mb themselves.

Should I dive in and get a 32gb for roughly $100?

edit: Also, can you organise the main menu screen like you can with the 3DS? Or is it stuck as is?
4gb is fine for a couple of demos,few music tracks and some videos nothing more and yes you can organise the bubbles just hold the touch on one of the bubbles for a few seconds and then you can arrange them and change the background color of the livearea,no folders though and if you swap memory cards the bubble arrangement will be set back to default.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Man Half-Minute Hero looks great on this. O: It's just pixel art but the colors really pop in this compared to the PC version on my monitor.

ajim

4gb is fine for a couple of demos,few music tracks and some videos nothing more and yes you can organise the bubbles just hold the touch on one of the bubbles for a few seconds and then you can arrange them and change the background color of the livearea,no folders though and if you swap memory cards the bubble arrangement will be set back to default.

Thanks!

The backgrounds are pretty hideous and the bubbles aren't attractive at all either lol. Can you download skins/mods for the menu?

I'll stick with 4gb for a bit, but I think I'll eventually upgrade to 16gb due to wanting to play a whole bunch of PSOne/PSP games I missed out on.

edit: Also, whats a nice looking PSVita case to carry it around in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom