• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noi

On one hand, Blops Declassified doing well would show some developers that there's an audience on the Vita with money to spend on games. Maybe even some of the bigger publishers.

On the other, fuck Activision.

Hmm....

Gxgear

On one hand, Blops Declassified doing well would show some developers that there's an audience on the Vita with money to spend on games. Maybe even some of the bigger publishers.

Hmm....

Going with Liberation would yield similar results. The lesser of the two evils perhaps.

Toki767

Hmm....

If Black Ops Declassified does well that surely means Nihilistic will be making the next one lol

It's like a double edged sword.

I got Birth by Sleep working, yay!

Hmm....
But if the game is bad and does well, people might blame the Vita. ):

spannicus

It could be 15 years old but if Treyarch doesn't share there's not much Nihilistic can do, and from what we've heard Treyarch almost seem completely unaware of BO:D's existence.
I think Treyarch don't want Nihilistic touching BLOPS but can't disagree because of Activision. They to my knowledge haven't lifted a finger to help out and may be a reason behind the no Zombies thing.
Think it's to do with the Party app only supporting 8 people...maybe...?
Why build a game around the app then. Just do it like the consoles. I'm thinking its something that will stock and stay at 8 players.
If Black Ops Declassified does well that surely means Nihilistic will be making the next one lol

It's like a double edged sword.

This is certain. Or Treyarch may do an in house because of sales.

Shinypogs

The sunflowers demo has pretty much sold me on the game, I feel bad every time I screw up and accidentally burn a flower. Except for the ones that just glare grumpily at you all the time. I'm only hesitating because I'm not sure the novelty will last and while the price isn't all that bad it's money that could go towards LBP or GR dlc that I haven't picked up yet.

Also hi,
I finally got approved, then forgot my password and was too embarrassed to try and change it so I've just been lurking in the thread the past few months. Now seemed like a good time to finally jump in and join you guys.

Tratorn

Going with Liberation would yield similar results. The lesser of the two evils perhaps.

Liberation isn't an "evil" at all.
It would be f'ing brilliant if it would sell millions and billions, because the vita needs exactly these kind of games - big IPs that weren't produced in really short time and with low budget.

Gxgear

Liberation isn't an "evil" at all.
It would be f'ing brilliant if it would sell millions and billions, because the vita needs exactly these kind of games - big IPs that weren't produced in really short time and with low budget.

Activision vs Ubisoft.

spannicus

The sunflowers demo has pretty much sold me on the game, I feel bad every time I screw up and accidentally burn a flower. Except for the ones that just glare grumpily at you all the time. I'm only hesitating because I'm not sure the novelty will last and while the price isn't all that bad it's money that could go towards LBP or GR dlc that I haven't picked up yet.

Also hi,
I finally got approved, then forgot my password and was too embarrassed to try and change it so I've just been lurking in the thread the past few months. Now seemed like a good time to finally jump in and join you guys.

Stalker Get Ooout! Jk :) howdy

spannicus

Heard somewhere that COD on Vita looks better now, any truth to that?

To me it does. I personally pre ordered it and got a tongue lashing from my girlfriend. A lot of us are sceptical but I can still see fun being had with the game especially on the go.

LastNac

To me it does. I personally pre ordered it and got a tongue lashing from my girlfriend. A lot of us are sceptical but I can still see fun being had with the game especially on the go.

I think I found the image...
Edit.

Pics too big, but yeah, it does look better.

It goes without saying that COD:BLOPS:D will suck and garner 6.5-7's across the board.

With this truth in mind, there's no good result.

A) It sucks (a given) and sells well: Vita loses all goodwill among those who purchased the game and possibly the system just to play it. Any potential sequel, regardless of quality, earns the expected reception.

B) It sucks (a given) and flops sales-wise: Vita will never see a high-profile Western IP again because the idiots who seem to be in charge of gaming's largest publishers would immediately blame Vita for the low sales rather than the game's low quality.

C) It sucks (a given) and sells decently but merely (and this is optimistic) in line with the DS or Wii entries: Vita can't sustain high-budget games, so let's just port the iOS entry in the future. The series fails to find an audience on the system due to lack of effort.

At least AssCreed carries the possibility of being decent. Of course, by launching the same day as the much better hyped console version, that game's also been sabotaged, albeit in an entirely different way.

b80efe23.gif

So um, I "played" RCR for 5 minutes. WTF was that... seriously I hope this gets better. It felt like, let's just cram as many cameos as we can with as little gameplay as posible.

It goes without saying that COD:BLOPS:D will suck and garner 6.5-7's across the board.

A) It sucks (a given) and sells well: Vita loses all goodwill among those who purchased the game and possibly the system just to play it. Any potential sequel, regardless of quality, earns the expected reception.

B) It sucks (a given) and flops sales-wise: Vita will never see a high-profile Western IP again because the idiots who seem to be in charge of gaming's largest publishers would immediately blame Vita for the low sales rather than the game's low quality.

C) It sucks (a given) and sells decently but merely (and this is optimistic) in line with the DS or Wii entries: Vita can't sustain high-budget games, so let's just port the iOS entry in the future. The series fails to find an audience on the system due to lack of effort.

At least AssCreed carries the possibility of being decent. Of course, by launching the same day as the much better hyped console version, that game's also been sabotaged, albeit in an entirely different way.

b80efe23.gif

All fightening but expected scenarios. I still think they should have staggered the two AC games. Liberation should've launched two weeks after AC3 just as people are done with the console version but still hunger for more AC.

Grinchy

Banned
I think my Vita might be dead...

I grabbed it, turned it on and it was just a blank, blue screen. I couldn't do anything on it. I held the power button down to turn it completely off. Now that it's completely off, it just keeps flashing the blue light and won't do anything. It was fully charged btw. I guess I will try holding the power button to reset it.

Ok totally not dead. Google led me to the fake blue light of death scenario. That was scary.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So um, I "played" RCR for 5 minutes. WTF was that... seriously I hope this gets better. It felt like, let's just cram as many cameos as we can with as little gameplay as posible.

Really, that part is basically a tutorial section. In that "little gameplay as possible" stuff, like all open world games, you can mess around, and do whatever you want within that time. Perfect time to see what kind of freedom they allow you to have.

In the full game, if you're not on a mission, you can mess around with the game world, search for challenge markers, buy powerups, harass the populance, go to the barber, "borrow" some cars... whatever.

And if you play the demo again, and want to just get to "The good parts", the game lets you know there is a fastforward, whenever you hit ANY button. Just hold X, and things super-speed up, taking you right to the next gameplay segements.

It might have been nice for the Demo to let you play the "free roam" portion of the game...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

b80efe23.gif

What happens if it doesnt suck?

Also option A isn't bad at all. People will buy a Vita play the game and thinks it sucks but now they have the hardware. Sony's job (and third parties) to sell them on some other software at that point. The Vita needs games that can sell systems - whether or not they are actually good or not really doesn't matter.

Options B and C are the brutal ones.

Also hi,

Welcome to the Vitabrohood.

spannicus

What happens if it doesnt suck?

Also option A isn't bad at all. People will buy a Vita play the game and thinks it sucks but now they have the hardware. Sony's job (and third parties) to sell them on some other software at that point. The Vita needs games that can sell systems - whether or not they are actually good or not really doesn't matter.

Options B and C are the brutal ones.

I'm not hoping for much but I can see some fun to be had in this totally gimped version. Sitting around campus waiting for your next class why not play CoD. On lunch break at work sitting around people u dispise why not play Cod. It drops the same time as consoles so people at school are already going to be talking about the console version everyday. Whip out the Vita to the unsuspecting person...BAAM! Hory shit I can play CoD on a handheld anywhere? Wait till the boys see me now.... that's the story

Really, that part is basically a tutorial section. In that "little gameplay as possible" stuff, like all open world games, you can mess around, and do whatever you want within that time. Perfect time to see what kind of freedom they allow you to have.

In the full game, if you're not on a mission, you can mess around with the game world, search for challenge markers, buy powerups, harass the populance, go to the barber, "borrow" some cars... whatever.

And if you play the demo again, and want to just get to "The good parts", the game lets you know there is a fastforward, whenever you hit ANY button. Just hold X, and things super-speed up, taking you right to the next gameplay segements.

It might have been nice for the Demo to let you play the "free roam" portion of the game...

I'm playing the full game. The whole opening sequence was too fast paced for my taste, I couldn't understand shit about what was going on. It's like the dev was a huge fan of Wario Ware, the "missions" are very fast paced small chunks of nothing. You are just dropped into a situation with almost no context, then you just shoot two guys and it's over.

Akkad

Banned
SunFlowers is pretty addicting, $4 well spent. Also thank God RCR had a demo or I would have wasted $15, not my kinda of game being that I started gaming with the PS1.

Skyzard

Banned
SunFlowers is pretty addicting, $4 well spent. Also thank God RCR had a demo or I would have wasted $15, not my kinda of game being that I started gaming with the PS1.

GTA 1 & 2 is what you were hoping for I think (me too) but this is alright too.. JSR at £6.50 is going to be such a steal next week though!

spannicus

Whatever happened to ZOE for the Vita?

Although seeing how its shaping up on the PS3 not even sure I want a Vita version :/

As Takao would say it went to Vita heaven. I'm excited for BoM playing the demo and beating the boss gave you a sword I would love to use in the final version.

Spy Hunter... it's in my Vita.

Despite people's lack of enthusiasm towards the game, I picked it up on my way home from work today. I haven't played much, but so far it seems fairly decent. The cutscene graphics are awful, but the gameplay doesn't look too bad; a little cartoonish in places, but it could be worse. Handling is a bit drifty at times, but that could just be because I'm still early in the game. Overall...I probably could've waited for a price drop before picking it up (or it should've launched like Asphalt at $29.99), but it doesn't seem like a bad game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom