• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuroshiki

Tits are life.

this I really have no argument. Ass is hometown however....

shouldn't it be uterus? I mean everyone came from there.

Shinriji

Damn it, now you guys have me questioning my Miku purchase. I'm not a huge rhythm gamer, but I wanted something fun and different to play. =(

Maybe I should just send it straight back to Amazon?

As I said to TGH, the game didn't clicked with me instantly. Maybe if I give another chance in the future my opinion will change. But that won't change the fact that DJMAX is a better game.

You should download the demo to see for yourself. As I found out, changing accounts is a quick, painless process. Well, not as quick than the PS3, but way better that GAF would led me to believe.

MisterC20XX

While we're grossly off-topic, I've never understood the Jessica Chobot appeal.

Right place at the right time? Who would have thought licking a PSP back in 2005 could launch a career?

ssica-chobot-part-two-20050606054120483_640w.jpg

OK, back on topic: buy SunFlowers, add me and send me some flowers! :)

Damn it, now you guys have me questioning my Miku purchase. I'm not a huge rhythm gamer, but I wanted something fun and different to play. =(

If you wanted fun and different, I think you made a good choice. Project DIVA is fairly unique as far as music games go, though their priorities are clearly on choreography and having lots of things to do on the side rather than music gameplay. It's still fun enough that it's the only thing I've played on my Vita since it came out in August.

Technika is much more gameplay focused, and a lot more frustrating at higher difficulties - it's a much, much less forgiving game.

Since we're talking about Chobot and all ... trying to dig up the old pic, but I got one of those ridiculous spirit hoods from the Nexon booth at E3 a couple years ago and when I met Chobot and took a pic with her she literally bit it, like mouth full of fake fur and everything. She's actually really cool in person, really laid back gal. Gah, damn FB not loading on my work comp! I'll see if I can dig it up later...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Because its a lesser game in terms of being a downgraded Persona experience. Persona 4 is the superior RPG and Persona game period no questions asked. Buy it in stores November 20th ^^ pre order at your local game shops for a skin for your Vita tbh

HE THINKS PERSONA 4 IS THE BEST PERSONA RPG OUT THERE!

*LaughingTatsuyaandMaya.jpg*

HE THINKS PERSONA 4 IS THE BEST PERSONA RPG OUT THERE!

*LaughingTatsuyaandMaya.jpg*

I can't say I've played enough Persona 2 to make a judgement of it, but I liked Persona 3 way better than 4.

Maybe not "ghosting", but it seems to suffer from the same problem as LCD's. The liquid crystals aren't fast enough to eliminate blur/trailing when moving.

Uhh, there are no liquid crystals in an OLED.

Ran rp

Oops, confused. Still, the problem I have with LCD's also seems to happen on my vita. I could record a fragment and show you guys if you want, because I'm not sure you understand what I mean.

It's probably just the game's framerate. If it's not silky smooth then it'll have that effect, especially when looking at moving backgrounds.

Dawg

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Looking through the PS Blog comments, I had no idea SOTN was supposedly coming out today as announced from Konami. Though it didn't obviously, but it is apparently coming.

So SOTN and Spyro coming within the next month hopefully, well, I will be pretty happy.

Deadstar

If you're still waiting that kind of intimates you already know the answer.

Which is - no. But the Vita does have YouTube, at least.

I don't have an ipad or tablet so I use the Vita as a multimedia device along with games. It sucks that I can't watch Giant Bomb quicklooks on the site, I have to go to the youtube app, which, as far as I can tell there is no way to see more videos from a specific person. You have to just keep searching.

Foshy

LBP the most. Unit 13 only when turning around. Both games are 30 fps

This leads me to believe I am experiencing judder -> http://www.monitor4u.co.kr/Review/review4u/ReviewImg/motion_bench_05_PDP.jpg

As far as I know, Rayman does not suffer from this and that game is 60fps.

In LBP, are you referring to that material that glows in the dark (the one that appears in Tapling)? I only noticed some kind of "ghosting" with that one and thought it was some neat effect they added to it.

Compile Heart announces PS Vita chibi action game .. old?

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/255877611140558849

Totally missed this because of all the Konami stuff. Quoting for a new page, here is info on a brand new Compile Heart Vita game:

Famitsu this week has first look at a new PlayStation Vita game from Compile Heart called Genkai Totsuki Monster Monpisu.

Little information has leaked so far. We know it’s an “SD character action” game (SD means “super deformed” or “chibi”), has something to do with “rubbing, pinching, and poking,” has at least fifty artists working on the title, and its mascot is a fur seal.

Rubbing, pinching and poking. Man, they're not even trying to keep it from sounding pervy are they? So hopefully we get some scans?

Also, Shuhei is saying this:

Sony Worldwide Studios Boss Shuhei Yoshida told Famitsu this week that there are a lot of unannounced things in terms of software being prepared for PlayStation Vita.

.... VITA HEAVEN 2? FOR REALS?!

http://gematsu.com/2012/10/sony-teases-many-unannounced-ps-vita-games

Dawg

In LBP, are you referring to that material that glows in the dark (the one that appears in Tapling)? I only noticed some kind of "ghosting" with that one and thought it was some neat effect they added to it.

Nah, I can recreate the problem by entering create mode, placeing a big sackboy head and moving left/right. Maybe I should just record what I mean, like I said earlier.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I don't have an ipad or tablet so I use the Vita as a multimedia device along with games. It sucks that I can't watch Giant Bomb quicklooks on the site, I have to go to the youtube app, which, as far as I can tell there is no way to see more videos from a specific person. You have to just keep searching.
Just subscribe to a person/channel on the pc. It will turn up in the vita YouTube app.

Fox1304

Sony starting to push the big titles ( console-like titles precisely ) for the christmas madness.

Just received this email :

CLICK

Nice to see some NFS:MW, COD:BOD, and AC:L marketing.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

As a "hardcore" rhythm game player, I'd say you really owe it to yourself to play Project Diva. It's fun, different, the music is great, and it feels like an overall solid experience.

DJM is superior, but that's like saying IIDX is superior to Pop'n - different styles of the same unique genre.

RyL

Banned
A little summary of my Vita experience and overall impression.
as if somebody cares...

I bought my PS Vita last month for 199€(WiFi) + 16GB 39€ + MGS HD Collection 25€.
Right now you can get a WiFi Vita with Little Big Planet bundle for 198€ at amazon.de. (changes between 198€ and 214€ all the time)

And still, nobody is buying the Vita and you can get it on ebay for 150€ plus a game and 4GB memory. I saw some second-hand Vitas going for as low as 120€! That says it all, doesn't it?!
I thought about selling mine but hesitated because I would loss a lot of money, too much for my liking. Especially the sales in Germany suffer because of the mind-boggling stupid SCE Germany policy not allowing USK 16-18 rated demos (translated that is teen - mature, that means no Unchared and unit13 demo) and some other content on the German PSN store. There is no law Germany to prevent you from publishing USK18 rated demos. The Xbox Marketplace, Steam, all the mobile appstores and even Nintendo do this so it's cleary Sony's fault. This is a big deal since the memory card is tied to your account and even if you buy a second MC for another store account, the Vita will still reset all it's settings to default once you change the cards which is a huge pain in the arse. (yes, I know the other trick with resetting the Vita)

What bothers me the most is the software and I'm not talking about the games. Both the Vita and 3DS are modern hardware ruined by clunky, outdated and awful designed 2004-ish software. As multimedia platforms they're useless. People that keep saying, "It's a gaming device first and foremost!" What complete and utter rubbish. Both have video/music player browser and some other apps so it's more than fair to treat them as multimedia devices otherwise they wouldn't have added such features. Half-arsed attempts are not an excuse! If you think console apps on the 360 and PS3 are puke-inducing bad, oh boy, are you in for a surprise. I know Sony and Nintendo aren't software companies but how on earth is it even possible to make apps worse on a device with touch screen compatibilities compared to gamepad controlled ones. It sure takes talent to do so.

Also, it's almost 2013, nobody wants a "one-purpose-device", especially when there are tablets out there like the Nexus 7 for 200 bucks. Granted, you don't built a device like the Vita overnight and it took at least 2 years of development from Pre-Production (researching, planning, predicting future trends etc.) to the final product. As soon as new console hardware ships people already starting with the next gen development. But what makes it so baffling is that Sony is in the smartphone & tablet market and they have several years of experience in those fields so this is inexcusable! I read in some other thread that these devices like the tablets, Ipod touch and Vita don't compete against each other, at least that's what most of gaf said. Well, Apple has a whole section on their Ipod store page dedicated to gaming where they pride themselves of having created the best selling portable "game player" and I'm seriously considering replacing my second gen ipod touch with the 5g and selling my Vita. I can guarantee you that I'm not the only one who thinks that way. So take that as you will.

Oh and I had the pleasure to test and review the new Ipod touch 5g. The thing impressed me more than I thought it would. It's basically a mini-mini tablet and the hardware is a mixture of the Iphone5/4s/4 and Ipad3. Especially the camera is quite superb, even though it has the 5MP sensor of the Ipad3/Iphone4, the quality equals the Iphone5's just with a lower resolution because the other elements are basically the same (sapphire crystal glass etc.) It reaches the quality of good point-and-shoot cameras which cost 100-150€. It also handles low light quite well and the 1080p recording has better image stabilization than my Sanyo Fh1 camcorder. On top of that it can do ALL the things an Ipad can, it's just smaller. I enjoy gaming on iOS devices much more. Well, at least on the go. Maybe because they're actually portable and "get" the concept of portable gaming but then again, that's debatable. I prefer the ios/android experience though and share the same opinion as Yaceka and SmokyDave. Unlike some guys here I don't have a problem with the controls and I don't really care for physical buttons because most games control just fine in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong! I want the Vita and 3DS to succeed. I want competition because it's the consumer who profits, but both handhelds are neither here nor there. It speaks volumes about the Japanese hardware/gaming industry which are completely out of touch. I don't want the Vita/3ds to become a smartphone or tablet, but for crying out loud give me some other useful features than gaming and properly working ones while you're at it.
In the end of the day it comes down to software (again, not only games), UI/OS and that's where both of them lose big time. Even PS Mobile is underwhelming and it seems that it will be another disaster a la Playstation minis with overpriced content. I know that Sony isn't responsible for the pricing and they even sell the dev kits for the same price as the ios one (99$) but it seems to happen again and Sony should talk sense into the developers ffs. I have no faith in PSM and it will probably never be as diverse as the Android/iOS appstore where you can buy full-fledged flight simulators such as X-Plane, Apache 3D sim or Infinite Flight. I also doubt that Sony will allow apps such as the VLC player. (ok to be fair, it got removed from apple's appstore not because of apple but the original developers, either way there are plenty alternatives out there like goodplayer, playable etc.) Instead you have to convert files like it's 2004... sorry but that's not acceptable for an entertainment device in 2012. Don't get me started on the awful content manager. I just don't get it. Why doesn't Sony partner up with google or something to help them out with the software side of things. The Vita has much better hardware plus it allows low-level API coding and yet, the Ipod touch 5g is way faster & better in pretty much everything. It's such a shame, really.

Most people fear that it might be the last handheld generation in the traditional sense and Sony and Nintendo have no one to blame but themselves for not understanding the market.

Post above me ^

You missed the point.

They ARE game machines. They are not directly competing with the iPod etc. sure it means a smaller market now but that's the point. It's a device for gamers- not casuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom