• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponn

Banned
PSY・S;43059193 said:
So we get a NFSMW Mobile trailer before a Vita trailer.

okay

Don't feel bad, at least we know NFSMW isn't a 3DS port.

I'm still waiting on anything at all from TT on Lego LoTR. They aren't responding to anyones emails or tweets on the issue and we are 20 days from release. Going to keep my 29.99 preorder at newegg till the last minute like Lego Batman 2 and if I don't hear or see anything i will cancel.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
A little summary of my Vita experience and overall impression.
as if somebody cares...

So you bought one game for the machine and are now ready to cast it aside based on what other companies are doing and the market in general.

You should consider only buying machines that are super popular with the masses so you can enjoy them, because that seems to be the determining factor for you.

So now that Ragnarok Odyssey is coming out Oct. 30 for reals, and DJMAX TECHNIKA TUNE is coming Oct. 26 (for some odd reason) with its superior digital version coming even later (for some odd reason again), what is going to fill the 20-ish day void?

Dokuro is coming October 16th. Orgarhythm is coming October 23rd as well. SO MANY GAMEZ AWWWW MANG, I LOVE HAVING MY PORTABLE HOME CONSOLE

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Good to see Ragnarok with a solid date. A bit annoying it's at months end, but I can live with that :)

I would have liked RO to come out sooner, but Dokuro comes out next week, and things like New Little King's Story are still fresh and awaiting purchase. Retro City Rampage and Sunflower just came out, Silent Hill: BOM is still the 16th, and Virtue's Last Reward and Orgarythm come out on the 23rd, and we're sure to get some PSM and PS1 BC releases in the coming weeks.

Nicely packed time. Easy to spend as much or as little as you want, and it's nice to see a load of games with a wide variety of prices...

Haha, and forgot about JSR. Yeah, I think we're good in Oct, lol.

So now that Ragnarok Odyssey is coming out Oct. 30 for reals, and DJMAX TECHNIKA TUNE is coming Oct. 26 (for some odd reason) with its superior digital version coming even later (for some odd reason again), what is going to fill the 20-ish day void?

RCR? And Jet Set Vita

Zoibie

I just downloaded the new update for Treasure Park and I'm a little confused. Now that you can just keep replaying the randomly generated games, what's the point of the near stuff? More coins for completing/sending sheets?

Edit: never mind, I see now. You barely get anything for finding the treasure, it's more like a practise mode.

MisterC20XX

I'm so tempted to break my "digital only" rule and get the Mercenary Edition...

0AgiO.jpg

• Ragnarok Odyssey for PlayStation Vita
  • 96-page full-color 'Mercenary Guide' featuring a collection of art, quests, maps and boss strategies to help the discerning mercenary navigate the Sundered Land.
  • Soundtrack CD containing 32 songs from the game.
  • Pack of 10 random 2.5" x 3.5" Monster Cards from the over 50 available in-game.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
  • 96-page full-color 'Mercenary Guide' featuring a collection of art, quests, maps and boss strategies to help the discerning mercenary navigate the Sundered Land.
  • Pack of 10 random 2.5" x 3.5" Monster Cards from the over 50 available in-game.

Having fought the 0.01% chance to get a card Drop in Ragnarok online, getting some this easily is too nice a chance to pass up, lol. Are Whispers in this game? I want a Whisper Card!

Swanky Merch Edition all the way.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Having fought the 0.01% chance to get a card Drop in Ragnarok online, getting some this easily is too nice a chance to pass up, lol. Are Whispers in this game? I want a Whisper Card!

I lol'd.

Also, Soldier Skeleton on that SinX <3

branny

My first major card drop in RO many years ago was a Vitata card. I felt blessed. <3

Alright, so, a few points:

The Vita is obviously not meant for you. You do not see the appeal of a device that delivers console quality games with the controls to do them justice on a portable device. That's fine; you're not the only person who feels that way. Regardless, it is clear that the Vita was not made for you or the market that shares your opinion.

I, and others on here, find that as devices are doing more and more, it's nice to have a device that does one thing exceptionally well. My old phone was a better phone than my nice new smartphone. Of course, with that functionality, I've personally settled with what I have in my smartphone. Now, so many people own smartphones or tablets that you have to wonder: why does the Vita NEED to do everything? We already own devices that do everything. The problem is, while those devices also do gaming, it doesn't do it exceptionally well; and for someone who's favorite hobby is gaming, that will not cut it.

As for not understanding the market, nobody is going to WANT the Vita as an internet-browsing machine, or a video player, or an apps machine. There are better devices out there for that, that are smaller and more more portable. Do you think that if they added a bunch of apps that people will suddenly start buying it in droves? Of course not. People want a tablet or a smartphone for that. This has a few apps that are just a couple "essentials", but, as a whole, the Vita serves one purpose, and for a lot of us, it serves that purpose very well.

You don't care for physical controls, you don't care for its size, you think the idea that it's a gaming device first and foremost is rubbish, you think it would be embarrassing to be seen with it in public, you find PSM underwhelming and think it will fail (of course, despite it being "out" for only a week and the SDK not even being available yet), etc. Remind us why you got the device? You could have used one of your multipurpose devices to do a little research on it first, so you would have known that it isn't a "do everything" device.

For us, who may indeed be a dwindling market, this machine is about our last hope for a dedicated portable game system, so while we find faults with it, we live with that, deliver our feedback, and enjoy the awesome things about it (of which there are many).

Well said!!!!!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Oh god, what if you get doubles in that pack of 10 cards? That'd be awful.
likely trade with a gaffer

Just hope they're % damage increase to size cards. You need multiples of those to slot into your weapon anywa.... errr, nevermind!

I lol'd.

Also, Soldier Skeleton on that SinX <3

XD SS Card Critrain. Was always fun to watch. Somehow this just makes me think about fighting Raydrics...

My first major card drop in RO many years ago was a Vitata card. I felt blessed. <3

Ugh, fighting for those cards in the middle of Ant Hell, frickin ants stealing drops and making everyone freak out... Watching an Andre and a Vitata die near the same spot, and getting the WRONG card... ( o_O)

Retro-congrats on your first discovery, lol.

AwRy108

Exactly. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but I feel you are missing the point. This isn't a device for someone who wants a ten second game of angry birds. It's for the dedicated gamer who wants the full experience wherever they are

Despite the doom and gloom talk over sales, the facts that matter to me are these: the device is here, it's awesome, and I'm loving it. I don't support the device out of pity, I support it because I love to use it. Even if the Vita is eventually doomed a failure, I'll just be glad for the time we had it.

Also, lest we forget: people were dooming the PS3 AND PSN for years, yet now they're killing all of their competitors in regards to both quality AND quantity of exclusive software. So, despite whatever SONY gets out of it, gamers really the people who are winning RIGHT NOW.

AwRy108

Alright, so, a few points:

The Vita is obviously not meant for you. You do not see the appeal of a device that delivers console quality games with the controls to do them justice on a portable device. That's fine; you're not the only person who feels that way. Regardless, it is clear that the Vita was not made for you or the market that shares your opinion.

I, and others on here, find that as devices are doing more and more, it's nice to have a device that does one thing exceptionally well. My old phone was a better phone than my nice new smartphone. Of course, with that functionality, I've personally settled with what I have in my smartphone. Now, so many people own smartphones or tablets that you have to wonder: why does the Vita NEED to do everything? We already own devices that do everything. The problem is, while those devices also do gaming, it doesn't do it exceptionally well; and for someone who's favorite hobby is gaming, that will not cut it.

As for not understanding the market, nobody is going to WANT the Vita as an internet-browsing machine, or a video player, or an apps machine. There are better devices out there for that, that are smaller and more more portable. Do you think that if they added a bunch of apps that people will suddenly start buying it in droves? Of course not. People want a tablet or a smartphone for that. This has a few apps that are just a couple "essentials", but, as a whole, the Vita serves one purpose, and for a lot of us, it serves that purpose very well.

You don't care for physical controls, you don't care for its size, you think the idea that it's a gaming device first and foremost is rubbish, you think it would be embarrassing to be seen with it in public, you find PSM underwhelming and think it will fail (of course, despite it being "out" for only a week and the SDK not even being available yet), etc. Remind us why you got the device? You could have used one of your multipurpose devices to do a little research on it first, so you would have known that it isn't a "do everything" device.

For us, who may indeed be a dwindling market, this machine is about our last hope for a dedicated portable game system, so while we find faults with it, we live with that, deliver our feedback, and enjoy the awesome things about it (of which there are many).

Love this! Should be part of the PS Vita Discussion Thread OP from this point forward.

Young Magus

I'm so tempted to break my "digital only" rule and get the Mercenary Edition...

0AgiO.jpg

I'm in the same position, this might be the second game I buy the physical copy for, the first being Rayman Origins

RyL

Banned
Also, why are you guys still feeding the troll?

Neogaf at it's best but what did I expect... also, troll? Really? What a meaningless term tut-tut, you could do so much better.
The link to the video was just a joke, sorry, but you can tell that some guys are clearly nervous about their purchase. Why such a serious tone, it's just gaming. Even though my post was more or less objective, I wasn't dead serious about it for christ sake. It's just a hobby & entertainment. I compared 2 expensive luxury items which ARE quite similar and liked the other one better because it's more flexible and gives you more for the buck. That's it.

Why are you guys talking about smartphones + expensive phones/data plans? I mentioned it once but not in the context of comparing it to the Vita. I was talking about mediaplayer such as the iPod touch, Galaxy player and tablets which are(can be) WiFi only devices without additional costs.

Why the fuck would you buy a handheld if you're actually embarrassed to use it in public? Personally I think that stance is pretty pathetic anyway.

Because I was curious, intrigued & wanted to test it and had the money... I needed something to play on the can. (long 1 hour sessions) Replacing my underplayed PSP 1000... the list goes on and on.

I would be embarrassed because I'm a 24 year old male and people in Europe are still pretty judgemental about such trivial, juvenile geeky stuff, at least where I live. I bet it isn't any different in most of North America.
People with anime, pony, kpop avatars might have a different pain barrier than me, like I said before, it's just me.
Also, why so rude? Friendship is magic, yo!

So you bought one game for the machine and are now ready to cast it aside based on what other companies are doing and the market in general.

You should consider only buying machines that are super popular with the masses so you can enjoy them, because that seems to be the determining factor for you.

Come back and say that again when the machine is discontinued and you wasted +250$. I would be mad, don't know about you.

I wonder when that gorgeous shmup Sine Mora will be hitting the Vita finally. There are loads of games that are coming that keep having their release dates slip away, or have never gotten solid release windows.

dsigns1

Also, lest we forget: people were dooming the PS3 AND PSN for years, yet now they're killing all of their competitors in regards to both quality AND quantity of exclusive software. So, despite whatever SONY gets out of it, gamers really the people who are winning RIGHT NOW.

Pretty much where I'm at. I remember lurking on this site for years reading all the people laughing at the PS3 saying it has no games. Sony has so many great first party studios I am confident there will always be games to play.

daoster

If more people are using the Vita for internet browsing...or video browsing...or apps, then that means less people are using their iPhones, or Androids, or whatever else, that means Sony has more opportunities to sell to these people, as opposed to Google or Apple.

Sony should WANT current Vita users to use their Vita as much as possible, if it's not gaming, then it should be listening to music, or browsing the internet, or watching a movie. It doesn't have to have a full blown app store, but having a couple of apps that are useful and makes sense for the Vita isn't a bad thing.

But the experience other than gaming hasn't exactly been stellar. I haven't used the browser in awhile, but can you still NOT use the browser while the game is running? That's ridiculous (not that the browser was any good...).

And you're right. People won't buy the Vita in droves if the Vita had an amazing internet experience....but by making the experience bad, they're just driving their current owners to go use their smart phones...or use their tablets...and that means, less time spent on the Vita.

VanWinkle

If more people are using the Vita for internet browsing...or video browsing...or apps, then that means less people are using their iPhones, or Androids, or whatever else, that means Sony has more opportunities to sell to these people, as opposed to Google or Apple.

Sony should WANT current Vita users to use their Vita as much as possible, if it's not gaming, then it should be listening to music, or browsing the internet, or watching a movie. It doesn't have to have a full blown app store, but having a couple of apps that are useful and makes sense for the Vita isn't a bad thing.

But the experience other than gaming hasn't exactly been stellar. I haven't used the browser in awhile, but can you still NOT use the browser while the game is running? That's ridiculous (not that the browser was any good...).

And you're right. People won't buy the Vita in droves if the Vita had an amazing internet experience....but by making the experience bad, they're just driving their current owners to go use their smart phones...or use their tablets...and that means, less time spent on the Vita.

What it does do besides gaming should be great, not just "there"; I agree with you on that point, and as of now, the non-gaming apps are just "there". However, I don't feel as though they're losing marketshare if they don't deliver those things. If I want to listen to music or use an app, I use my Galaxy S3. If I want to play a game, I most often go to the Vita. It's just that the Vita is much better at gaming, and my phone's much better at apps and I'm okay with that. If Vita suddenly had a bunch of apps and a better, more fully-featured music and video player, I would still carry my smartphone around, because it's an essential. Let the Vita be great at what it is. It's not a phone or a tablet, and it never will be. If they add more non-gaming stuff, great, but it's not going to increase their marketshare.

I'm seriously considering replacing my second gen ipod touch with the 5g and selling my Vita. I can guarantee you that I'm not the only one who thinks that way. So take that as you will.

I own an iPad, and the generally second rate quality of the games on it are what's driving me to the Vita. Most of them are designed as very simple throwaway experiences, and if you want an RPG you're out of luck. Even the games that are modelled after console style games feel very cut down; despite the large number of games on the app store the number of them that you'd consider 'AAA' by living room standards can be counted on one hand with a finger or two left over. And touch screen controls that have you covering up the screen with your thumbs with no physical feedback just aren't a substitute for a dpad + buttons.

The iPad is a way more useful device in general, and I don't see myself using the Vita for anything other than games, but there's no question to my mind that it's better for that. Unless you primarily like casual fare, its library is already leagues better.

Wait, what? The digital version of Technica Tune isn't coming day & date with the retail copy?!

Guys does the back touchpad scratches so easily? I've had mine for 10 days now and I have a horrible scratch already (on the back side)

Also are there protective screens for both front and back or just front?

I'm still trying to figure out if either of these will be out digitally in time for the Spend $100 get $20 back promo. Anyone know if Ragnarok is going to be digital on the 30th also?

These are both on my must buy list for my upcoming new vita (I ordered the AC Liberation bundle mainly for P4G), but it's cutting it pretty close and I want to ensure I get my bonus bucks.

I may have to buy something else with my remaining $35 I need to spend.

VanWinkle

Guys does the back touchpad scratches so easily? I've had mine for 10 days now and I have a horrible scratch already (on the back side)

Oh yeah, mine has micro scratches EVERYWHERE on it. But it doesn't really bother me since it's on the back. But there are protective screens for the front and back out there.

Sid

Yes it does get scratched easily and as for back touch protectors i think nyko power grip is as close as you'll get.

Gxgear

There are 3rd party ones specifically for the back, or you can just trim the official one down to size and cover it (since a pack comes with 2).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom